Author Topic: suggestion  (Read 31604 times)

Offline Ezekel

• http://ezekel.deviantart.com
suggestion
« Reply #50 on: June 10, 2004, 03:51:46 AM »
there is another restriction in the game knux:
build space.
you can't build a factory in top of a cliff ... or inside an active volcano afterall
« Last Edit: June 10, 2004, 03:52:00 AM by Ezekel »
My mind is quicker then your eyes!

Never fight what you cannot see!!!

----------------------------------------------

The sleeper has awakened... and boy what a hangover!

Offline FallTime

• http://www.borkovec.com/falltime/
suggestion
« Reply #51 on: June 14, 2004, 12:31:17 AM »
I don't like: Having support structs., having really infinite oree: or maybe yes, but the yield must be low... I remember when I was playing WarWind II. You have limited materials and they are extracted quickly. But I found a way how to get over it: the SUN ( one of the sides ) has a spell to make some. So I waited for other players to run out of resources, while I had infinite. Easy win :D
Sorry for my English. I like penguins. I'm neutral 'bout Linux.
------------------------------------------------
Don't judge people of their look

Offline knux

suggestion
« Reply #52 on: June 15, 2004, 01:57:03 AM »
With the infinite resources, don't forget that op2 had infinite resources.  

Offline zeritou

suggestion
« Reply #53 on: June 15, 2004, 11:54:00 AM »
no, resources were restricted by the amount of space, the colonists you had to operate the storage, and the amount of food you had to feed those colonists; again going back to amount of space
how to insult a klingon:

qatlh Quch Hab ghaj no'ra'
vaj HabHa''a' je 'uSDu'lIj joj

wich translates roughly to:

how come you guys never had those for head bumps in the first staktrek series and do you guys have bumps like that on your genitals too?

Offline Ezekel

suggestion
« Reply #54 on: June 16, 2004, 07:57:28 AM »
another resource of course is that of time
though you obviously can't change that, or the whole system collapses...

as for making mines have limited resources... well, the op2 mines were in a sense limited, just that, well you'd need a few decades to exhaust a mine wouldn't you (and basically no game lasts that long in game terms) ...
ok, i know that you have ppl live and die in the space of a game, but, well, i'm sure everyone can agree that some of the time settings are not in sync (like the convecs move time against its build time for example).

well to put it really simply, if you put resource limits on mines, that's gonna cause a lot of balancing issues, and re-evaluation of map ideas. (for one thing, Eden's magma well would make them the winner of any war of attrition)
and i'd not recommend playing with the yield values (the system works well, and op3 will be running a similar system to op2, lets not overwork knux, ok), execept maybe put a single 4 bar mine in somewhere as an easteregg

Offline Betaray

• Administrator
suggestion
« Reply #55 on: June 16, 2004, 08:56:30 PM »
dont forget, we'll be juggling with 3 types of ore now, not just 2, in a multy game with alot of people or a constricted map (like a version of pie) it will be hard enough to just get all 3 types of ore, thats 3 mines and smelters at least you have to defend, at least one is probly going to be outside your main coloney, having it run for a a few minutes and than you have to search for another one would be almost impossible, plus having mines with limited resources would destroy enjoyable long games, where peolple build up huge armys and have the clash eachother over and over (well seeing 400 tigors duke it out is cool for me  :D )
I am the nincompoop, I eat atomic bombs for breakfest, fusion bombs for lunch, and anti-matter bombs for dinner

I just hope they don't explode

Offline CK9

• Administrator
    • http://www.outpost2.net/~ck9
suggestion
« Reply #56 on: June 16, 2004, 11:06:26 PM »
as we all know beta, lol

limited resources isn't good, that's the way it is in AoM, and unless you cheat, you can no longer defend yourself once your resources are gone
CK9 in outpost
Iamck in runescape (yes, I still play...sometimes...)
srentiln in minecraft (I like legos, and I like computer games...it was only a matter of time...) and youtube...
xdarkinsidex on deviantart

yup, I have too many screen names

Offline Ezekel

suggestion
« Reply #57 on: June 21, 2004, 06:57:50 AM »
not every map has to have a rare or heavy ore available

Offline Leviathan

suggestion
« Reply #58 on: June 21, 2004, 08:04:08 AM »
good idea Ezekel, that will restrict the game play etc.
also a tech level restrictrion would b good. so u are retristricted in the stuff u can get.

Offline Betaray

• Administrator
suggestion
« Reply #59 on: June 21, 2004, 02:56:29 PM »
hmm, force people to fight with lynxs, I guess that would work, I dont know how populer those maps would be (because people can just agree to just use lynx)

I am the nincompoop, I eat atomic bombs for breakfest, fusion bombs for lunch, and anti-matter bombs for dinner

Offline Ezekel

suggestion
« Reply #60 on: June 23, 2004, 08:13:58 AM »
well my thoughts are also along the lines:
if something is so rare, whats to say that it will exist on a small map (unless the map is a sorta tournement map... then each player would have at least one of all 3 mines near their base... though this isn't a necessity)

hey knux, will somethings require heavy ore AND common ore?

or will everything that requires heavy ore also require both common and rare?
« Last Edit: June 23, 2004, 08:15:11 AM by Ezekel »

Offline CK9

• Administrator
suggestion
« Reply #61 on: June 23, 2004, 10:30:55 AM »
hey guys, this is a thought I came up with while reviewing a game of Age of Mythology I played against someone online.

If you are adding cheats in with the game, they should initiate a signal that shows the cheat is activated to all players, even if chat to other players is disabled by the user.

When I reviewed the game, I realized the other player had been using cheats the entire time, trying to make me think he was a better player.  On that game, a sound of thunder is given every time a cheat is used, and it was happening about 5 times a second for the first 30 seconds of the game.
CK9 in outpost
srentiln in minecraft (I like legos, and I like computer games...it was only a matter of time...) and youtube...

Offline Ezekel

suggestion
« Reply #62 on: June 23, 2004, 12:14:15 PM »
i dunno... but i kinda think that cheats won't be usable in multiplay games

i'd guess that the cheats will be more for testing purposes (as is often the case for cheats in games), and are left behind as eastereggs

whatever the case, just disable them from multi games, then no problem exists

Offline CK9

• Administrator
suggestion
« Reply #63 on: June 23, 2004, 12:36:03 PM »
every once in a while, though, they serve a purpose
CK9 in outpost

Offline knux

suggestion
« Reply #64 on: June 26, 2004, 09:45:36 PM »
1. No, not all maps will have all 3 resources.

2. Heavy units will require 2 different ores maximum.  Having 3 for one unit would be ridulous and too complicated.

3. There will be no cheats in my op3 and if I had cheats I would disable them for multi.

4. I will have unlimited resources but they will take a time to appear due to them being hauled to the smelters.

5. Rare ore smelters will process heavy ores but they will be in smaller requirements compared to common ore. Just like rare ore.

Offline PlayingOutpost0-24

• http://op3np.xfir.net
suggestion
« Reply #65 on: June 26, 2004, 11:43:46 PM »
Yeah, the serve a purpose... They don't delete them, so somebody can tell a cheating website...
Great news for OP2 fans... OP3 in progress.
Official Site
Outpost 3: A New Power progress
OP3:NP Discussion

Progress in OP3:NP[/size][/font]
PLANNING[|||||||||-]
GRAPHICS [||||------]
SOUNDS [|---------]
MAP DESIGNING [|||||-----]
CODING [----------]
Going slowly... Very slow.

Offline Betaray

• Administrator
suggestion
« Reply #66 on: June 27, 2004, 01:47:58 AM »
btw, if you wish to include my robo coloney (probly not for a while) it of corse would require all 3 types of mettals, but that may be one of the few things that do

Offline Ezekel

suggestion
« Reply #67 on: June 27, 2004, 09:13:57 AM »

2. Heavy units will require 2 different ores maximum.  Having 3 for one unit would be ridulous and too complicated.

3. There will be no cheats in my op3 and if I had cheats I would disable them for multi.

4. I will have unlimited resources but they will take a time to appear due to them being hauled to the smelters.

5. Rare ore smelters will process heavy ores but they will be in smaller requirements compared to common ore. Just like rare ore.
let me get this straight, your saying that some things will require rare AND heavy but not common?

so you are saying none of the weapon platforms will need heavy ore, as a tiger/panther chassis already requires common and rare.

furthermore, are you saying that upon researching "rare ore processing" (or was it just "rare ore"?) you will be able to mine both rare and heavy metals?

and finally, does that mean all "offical" maps (i.e. the ones you release with the game) will never have more then 1 or 2 bars for all heavy ore mines...
i mean, well cos if you will need it in so small quantities, then shouldn't it be more of a rarity so as to prevent mass production just hitting off almost instantly
oh yeh, and where is heavy ore stored? in rare ore storage

*has a thought*
how will you address the problem that might arise if you have 1 rare/heavy smelter and a rare mine and heavy mine, and you have cargo trucks en route form both ... cos it seems to me that that could create a problem.

i think we'll need at least a heavy metal storagesilo structure even if you've decided to allow rare ore to be processed at teh rare ore smelter.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2004, 09:15:23 AM by Ezekel »

Offline knux

suggestion
« Reply #68 on: June 29, 2004, 03:26:18 AM »

2. Heavy units will require 2 different ores maximum.  Having 3 for one unit would be ridulous and too complicated.

let me get this straight, your saying that some things will require rare AND heavy but not common?

so you are saying none of the weapon platforms will need heavy ore, as a tiger/panther chassis already requires common and rare.

furthermore, are you saying that upon researching "rare ore processing" (or was it just "rare ore"?) you will be able to mine both rare and heavy metals?

and finally, does that mean all "offical" maps (i.e. the ones you release with the game) will never have more then 1 or 2 bars for all heavy ore mines...
i mean, well cos if you will need it in so small quantities, then shouldn't it be more of a rarity so as to prevent mass production just hitting off almost instantly
oh yeh, and where is heavy ore stored? in rare ore storage

*has a thought*
how will you address the problem that might arise if you have 1 rare/heavy smelter and a rare mine and heavy mine, and you have cargo trucks en route form both ... cos it seems to me that that could create a problem.

i think we'll need at least a heavy metal storagesilo structure even if you've decided to allow rare ore to be processed at teh rare ore smelter.
Ha Ha, Ezekel, I think you keep taking my words too literary.

I don't think many things will require rare and heavy alone. But 2 ore types are sufficient for units and buildings. Any heavy unit will require heavy ore but depending on the turret, I will drop one resource. This is also to ensure units can still be produced on maps where there are only two resources.  Plus I still think it's too over the top to have 3 resources for 1 unit. Maybe buildings but I still think it's too much.

There is a research topic required to mine and process heavy ore which has a mine but not a smelter. It will have it's own storage bar and I'm not sure if I will have a storage system. I fail to see the point really.

To eliminate queing problems with trucks, why not just have 2 smelters like with common?
I might have a 'haul to nearest' and 'haul to location' system to ensure they trucks can be evenly divided.

Offline Ezekel

suggestion
« Reply #69 on: June 29, 2004, 06:50:13 AM »
well i guess most of what you said makes sense, except for the part where you said you don't think you need a place to store heavy metal... cos, well it has to go somewhere, and if that somewhere is destroyed then the metals are lost

oh, i guess there will also be heavy rubble as well, right?

Offline knux

suggestion
« Reply #70 on: June 29, 2004, 07:33:54 PM »
Well I personally don't see the point of the storage facilities. If I had to drop some structures, they'd be the first to go.

Offline RedXIII

• http://www.battletechmodproductions.com
suggestion
« Reply #71 on: June 29, 2004, 08:19:35 PM »
I do. Two Common metal storages cost a lot less power and a lot less people along with a lot less ground space than One Common Ore smelter.

That and stockpiling for later production is never a bad thing. Or even better yet, an emergency storage locker.

-Nanaki 'RedXIII' Leroux

A pouncing cat stalks the hunting cat roar the two enraged in a death's embrace the coiled serpent crushes both. A pouncing cat stalks the hunting cat with care, the pouncing cat watches the coiled serpent crushes the hunting cat, a new star is born.
- T

Offline knux

suggestion
« Reply #72 on: June 30, 2004, 06:37:02 AM »
But if you already have a smelter, then you are wasting people having a storage facility as well. Plus I think resources will be used faster than you can store them if I speed the game up.

Offline PlayingOutpost0-24

• http://op3np.xfir.net
suggestion
« Reply #73 on: June 30, 2004, 10:29:31 AM »
Well i think storages are really good things... First, as RedXIII said, it costs less power and colonist, plus it is faster to build... If i have ex. 6 workers, and 100 power available and i need a residence and 20000 common stored, but i should have a place to put down ore:
Solution One: - I build two smelters so my power is eaten up, and i can't build residence. Morale is 0 too.   (thumbsdown)

Solution Two: - I build a smelter and two storages. I have one worker and 30 energy remaining. I build a residence, so i have marginal power and low res colony demand. Morale is 99.  (thumbsup)  
Great news for OP2 fans... OP3 in progress.
Official Site
Outpost 3: A New Power progress
OP3:NP Discussion

Progress in OP3:NP[/size][/font]
PLANNING[|||||||||-]
GRAPHICS [||||------]
SOUNDS [|---------]
MAP DESIGNING [|||||-----]
CODING [----------]
Going slowly... Very slow.

Offline CK9

• Administrator
suggestion
« Reply #74 on: June 30, 2004, 10:58:47 AM »
okay, so what you're saying, knux, is that you really do not like the storages?  I have to agree with you on that one.  They are completely useless in the campeign missions in OP2 (as long as you keep up defensive units, that is) so why would that change for OP3?  I personally say, if it save you time and effort on this project, dump 'em.  If you're low on power, build a power-facility.  If you're low on land space, take down any unneccessary structures (i.e.: you finished all research that is available in all labs.  The labs are now pointless, so demolish them)
CK9 in outpost