Author Topic: suggestion  (Read 31624 times)

xfir

suggestion
« Reply #100 on: July 07, 2004, 12:09:23 AM »
VTOL = Vertical Take-Off and Landing

Its more or less a jet that takes off and lands in the style of a helicopter.

Offline Toshiro

suggestion
« Reply #101 on: July 07, 2004, 09:13:59 AM »
and it's not from starcraft, it's from Total Aihilation. The Arm has a VTOL (a machine gunner aircraft) and Core has the Rapier (a rocket launcher aircraft)

Which reminds me, how bout bringing the joys of aircraft to the outpost world? and i mean rotor planes, not jets.

xfir

suggestion
« Reply #102 on: July 07, 2004, 09:17:02 AM »
ARM has the Banshee, and might I add it is one hella wicked plane. Actually, all of the planes in TA are VTOL.

Offline Kiith Somtaaw

suggestion
« Reply #103 on: July 07, 2004, 09:54:24 AM »

A good example of a VTOL

Is the Harrier Jump Jet

:ph34r:  

Offline Toshiro

suggestion
« Reply #104 on: July 07, 2004, 11:01:51 AM »
ARM has the Banshee, and might I add it is one hella wicked plane. Actually, all of the planes in TA are VTOL.
yes, they seem so, but in the manual, only that one is referred as being a VTOL. I still have the manual of that game... don't know how it survived the "war of the cleaning lady" back in '98...

Offline knux

suggestion
« Reply #105 on: July 08, 2004, 04:12:59 AM »
and it's not from starcraft, it's from Total Aihilation. The Arm has a VTOL (a machine gunner aircraft) and Core has the Rapier (a rocket launcher aircraft)

Which reminds me, how bout bringing the joys of aircraft to the outpost world? and i mean rotor planes, not jets.
I'm not taking VTOLS from any game. Does that mean that tanks are really from Dune 2? No, they're from real life and other things, from possible creations.

With the technology of interstellar spacecraft, cool nuclear fusion power plants providing near limitless energy. I doubt propellor aircraft would have a place.
VTOLs using a variation of jet propulsion using MHD thrust would be a logical choice for the outpost universe but if people keep complaining then I wont include them.
But I would still have a transporter.

But for the moment I have to work on the vehicle and structure graphics. Those are taking up all my time. Then I can get onto coding everyone's suggestions.

Offline Leviathan

suggestion
« Reply #106 on: July 08, 2004, 10:59:55 AM »
I think the VTOLs are a great idea.  

Offline Toshiro

suggestion
« Reply #107 on: July 08, 2004, 02:02:46 PM »

I'm not taking VTOLS from any game. Does that mean that tanks are really from Dune 2? No, they're from real life and other things, from possible creations.

With the technology of interstellar spacecraft, cool nuclear fusion power plants providing near limitless energy. I doubt propellor aircraft would have a place.
VTOLs using a variation of jet propulsion using MHD thrust would be a logical choice for the outpost universe but if people keep complaining then I wont include them.
But I would still have a transporter.

But for the moment I have to work on the vehicle and structure graphics. Those are taking up all my time. Then I can get onto coding everyone's suggestions.
just saying propeller planes would be a good choice because of this: planes on earth are common, but nasa is still struggling to get a rotor plane on mars. why is that? first off, atmospheric pressure. Then there's the air density. and finally, there's oxygen. All combustion engine motors need oxygen to function, and jet's need even more! Having an "eletrical" type of engine to run a tank is easy (god gravity is no issue here!), but having a plane running on electrical plants would only be viable in rotor vehicles (since jets require a considerable ammount of oxygen). As for jet's not requiring oxygen, well, this is sci-fi after all and a tech for that can be made up, or well pondered :P

That's my point. Rotor planes at beginning felling more like a "beta test" of aerial weapons platforms. They'r "slow" (same speed as a lynx, maybe a just little faster), need and airstripe, and lack armor. but they're cheap.
Then jets. Fast as hell, need an airstripe, have a considerable ammount of armor (less than a panther, more than a lynx)  but they are somewhat expensive.
Then are VTOL's. Transport tech becomes available since now they can land/take off vertical without any need for airstripes. An aditional plane would be available. They would be faster than rotors, but slower than the jet. since they are VTOL's no airstripe needed and they would have a significant ammount of armor. But they are somewhat expensive.

I think VTOl's should be defenetly in the game, but i think a small "beta test" performed by the colonies before VTOL's would be viable, also for an alternative of building an xpensive as hell plane instead of a cheap one.  

Offline Jgamer

suggestion
« Reply #108 on: July 08, 2004, 05:53:09 PM »
Knux is suggesting to use the eletrical power not to power the rotor or something, but the eletrical power it the propellant. Well, at least that's what i understood.

Offline CK9

• Administrator
    • http://www.outpost2.net/~ck9
suggestion
« Reply #109 on: July 08, 2004, 08:36:48 PM »
is what you are saying is using a charge similar to the planet's own emf in order to be lifted off the ground?
CK9 in outpost
Iamck in runescape (yes, I still play...sometimes...)
srentiln in minecraft (I like legos, and I like computer games...it was only a matter of time...) and youtube...
xdarkinsidex on deviantart

yup, I have too many screen names

Offline Betaray

• Administrator
suggestion
« Reply #110 on: July 08, 2004, 09:34:54 PM »
that, and mabe a version of the pulse fusion reactor in the earthworker, if it can liquidfy earth, why cant it turn compressed air into plasma?

well there I go again lol
I am the nincompoop, I eat atomic bombs for breakfest, fusion bombs for lunch, and anti-matter bombs for dinner

I just hope they don't explode

Offline thegrinner

suggestion
« Reply #111 on: July 13, 2004, 09:38:41 PM »
on colonist deaths: maybe it should just be elderly people who die. i mean, after a while workers or scientists become Senior Citizens and only they die NATURALLY.

"The only thing we have learned from history, is that we have not learned from history."
Actually, i think we learned 1 other thing: Explosions are COOL!!!

Offline zeritou

suggestion
« Reply #112 on: July 26, 2004, 08:54:18 PM »
im going to go back to the thing about gaseous mettals and i feel i need to clarify this with the laws of physics

this is a model of the molecules of a gas, the + would be air

o++++o+++o+++++o+++++o++o++++o+++o+++o+++o+++O+++o+++o+++o+++o+++o+++o+++o+++o+++o+++o

if you were to compress a gas enough the molecules may come closer together and the volume would be less wich is what you people think but then the molecules would touch and then it would just be a super heated solid
« Last Edit: July 26, 2004, 08:56:33 PM by zeritou »
how to insult a klingon:

qatlh Quch Hab ghaj no'ra'
vaj HabHa''a' je 'uSDu'lIj joj

wich translates roughly to:

how come you guys never had those for head bumps in the first staktrek series and do you guys have bumps like that on your genitals too?

Offline Ezekel

• http://ezekel.deviantart.com
suggestion
« Reply #113 on: August 01, 2004, 07:12:56 AM »
you know, ESFs (or electrostatic fields) can be used to make things float (or fly)

course at the moment the requirements to procuce an ESF makes it inviable for anything but a fun demonstration of physics as for it to work you need to pass an immense voltage through the material

i saw a piece of foil able to be floated from receiving circa 20,000 volts across it.
a 20,000 volt generator weighs considerably  more then a piece of foil (as in the stuff you put baked potatos in)
My mind is quicker then your eyes!

Never fight what you cannot see!!!

----------------------------------------------

The sleeper has awakened... and boy what a hangover!

Offline Betaray

• Administrator
suggestion
« Reply #114 on: August 01, 2004, 02:05:02 PM »
intresting

well for the ore thing, I dont see what the thing is on storeing, theve decribed the technique for storeing mettales in detail, they forge the mettal into small pelletts, and than suspend those pellets in an oil based slurry, they just have big tanks with sturring paddels to keep the slurry in suspention, those tanks are probly fully or partially underground so the surface graphic would not show it
I am the nincompoop, I eat atomic bombs for breakfest, fusion bombs for lunch, and anti-matter bombs for dinner

I just hope they don't explode

Offline knux

suggestion
« Reply #115 on: August 17, 2004, 11:32:18 PM »
is what you are saying is using a charge similar to the planet's own emf in order to be lifted off the ground?
No, it uses a system to charge and phase the flow of air particles, through the engine. But it is not a combustion engine, so it does not require oxygen. It just moves the air past itself very fast. They use a high powered cool fusion generator to do this.

Offline Ezekel

suggestion
« Reply #116 on: August 18, 2004, 01:16:36 PM »
intresting

well for the ore thing, I dont see what the thing is on storeing, theve decribed the technique for storeing mettales in detail, they forge the mettal into small pelletts, and than suspend those pellets in an oil based slurry, they just have big tanks with sturring paddels to keep the slurry in suspention, those tanks are probly fully or partially underground so the surface graphic would not show it
well... the structure still has to have a graphic for it... you can't have an invisible structure ... both the common and rare storages have graphics regardless as to how much of them is subterrainian or above ground

Offline Ezekel

suggestion
« Reply #117 on: August 18, 2004, 01:17:50 PM »
on colonist deaths: maybe it should just be elderly people who die. i mean, after a while workers or scientists become Senior Citizens and only they die NATURALLY.
what about viruses?