Author Topic: OP2Mapper/Mission Editor Wishlist  (Read 11814 times)

Offline BlackBox

• Administrator
OP2Mapper/Mission Editor Wishlist
« on: January 19, 2004, 05:29:34 PM »
Well, it's time to work on V2, the first version that there will be with a mission editor.

Tell me what you want to see in it here.

When you suggest things make sure it is:

- Realistic to accomplish (not something like, "make it scan your brain to know what you want your map to be")

- Related. Not something like, "Web browser add on!"

- Reasonable. Not something like "Make a huge mega add-on! And oh yeah, do it in a week."

Offline Leviathan

« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2004, 05:38:08 PM »
wut DLL editing functions is it gonig 2 have atm ?  

Offline BlackBox

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2004, 05:52:18 PM »
very, very basic ones... I'm not totally sure yet since I haven't done terribly much work on it lately...

Offline Betaray

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2004, 06:03:38 PM »
so no changing mining locations or anything?
I am the nincompoop, I eat atomic bombs for breakfest, fusion bombs for lunch, and anti-matter bombs for dinner

I just hope they don't explode

Offline plymoth45

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2004, 06:11:38 PM »
once we can do that, i will be able to finish one of my first maps, cause i'm going to have to do a custom dll for that one.  

Offline Betaray

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2004, 06:31:49 PM »
I think it would be funny to have one where you are in this huge coloney with 4 3 bar common mines and 2 3 bar rare mines, completly surounding a small computer coloney with only 1 1 bar common and 1 1 bar rare lol

it would make you almost feel sorry for it
I am the nincompoop, I eat atomic bombs for breakfest, fusion bombs for lunch, and anti-matter bombs for dinner

Offline plymoth45

« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2004, 06:33:51 PM »
no not really, it's hard to feel sorry for AI

Offline Betaray

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2004, 06:35:09 PM »
thats why I said, almost

also, if you can mess with the dlls, could you make it so that the computer are allied with you?

Offline OP2Patriot

« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2004, 10:45:02 PM »
The ability to edit volcanic activities would be greatly appreciated.

The Forbidden Outpost 2 Forum ... they don't want you to know about it.
Yell if the above link disappears.

Offline BlackBox

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2004, 04:06:18 PM »
so no changing mining locations or anything?
well, stuff like that (simple), but not any obscure things like "Capture RLV", "Infect with Blight", etc.

It will be able to create units and make a playable map.. but more complex stuff like AI, etc will not be implemented right away.

Also, we are getting (OT). This is a wishlist, not a "talk about what it can and can't do" thread.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2004, 04:06:31 PM by op2hacker »

Offline plymoth45

« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2004, 04:59:24 PM »
Yes, if we want to talk about that stuff, start a new thread.

The mission editor, i probably wont use much mainly because the AI uses the same simple strategy every time, and it gets boring. The map editor itself, i couldn't make it much better then it already is.

Offline Betaray

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2004, 05:02:42 PM »
also, with missions, I normally think of mission as being on the caimpain, will these count as campain missions? or just coloney games?

Offline plymoth45

« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2004, 05:07:37 PM »
I think they will just count as colony games, mainly because the colony games are like missions, missions have objectives to be completed, and colony games have 1 objective to be completed.

Offline BlackBox

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2004, 11:11:09 AM »
Well, you could create any type of mission.. When I use the word "mission", I'm referring to any scenario script.. (Tutorial, Campaign, Colony, Multi, maybe even demo)

Again, please back to the topic... This is a wish list, not really a discussion.

Offline Arklon

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2004, 05:11:46 PM »
If you're going to have multiplayer location editing here too, then make sure that:

1) You can change the structures and vehicles each player starts with. (Note that you'd have to do this for both Land Rush and the other scenario types, since they both have different structure/vehicle placement.)

Now, for other things:

2) Make sure that you can change a cargo truck's cargo, or a ConVec's carried structure kit (make sure you can change the weapon of a stored guard post).
3) Change the location and mark of when a volcanic eruption starts.
4) I think there is probably an area where earthquakes are common, or several different locations on the map where they will strike. You should be able to change this, and the mark that earthquakes start to shake your structures to the ground (if one hits you, that is).
5) Change the mark when electrical storms start to hit. Not sure if there is an area where they are most common.
6) Change the area where vortexes are most common, and the mark that they start touching down.

Offline Leviathan

« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2004, 05:51:12 PM »
some nice ideas Arklon.

all i want is 2 b able 2 change mine and starting locations. then i can start makin some proper new maps.

Offline Arklon

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2004, 09:37:18 PM »
Also, you should be able to change the volcano's lava flow path as well. They usually follow a path similar to one defined in the DLL's, apparently.

Also, the ore and the number of bars a mining beacon has seems to be semi-random. Not sure exactly how it works, but they are always in the same place.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2004, 03:29:40 PM by Arklon »

Offline PlayingOutpost0-24

• http://op3np.xfir.net
« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2004, 01:11:27 PM »
I think all ideas here are very good...

If I could modify structure/vehicle positions, the mining locations/yield and these... New Terran catastrophes, I would really play Outpost 2 non-stop. (well almost, I have 2 think about OP3 too)
Great news for OP2 fans... OP3 in progress.
Official Site
Outpost 3: A New Power progress
OP3:NP Discussion

Progress in OP3:NP[/size][/font]
PLANNING[|||||||||-]
GRAPHICS [||||------]
SOUNDS [|---------]
MAP DESIGNING [|||||-----]
CODING [----------]
Going slowly... Very slow.

Offline zeritou

« Reply #18 on: June 25, 2004, 05:17:48 PM »
(this may have already been done)  make it so everything can be done locally, i remember once apon a time there was a web based editor (the tileset and advanced program functions were on-line)

also, implement "doodads" like placing a whole crater instead of one tile at a time
how to insult a klingon:

qatlh Quch Hab ghaj no'ra'
vaj HabHa''a' je 'uSDu'lIj joj

wich translates roughly to:

how come you guys never had those for head bumps in the first staktrek series and do you guys have bumps like that on your genitals too?

Offline Hooman

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: June 25, 2004, 06:00:15 PM »
Hmm, here's something that's easy to forget about.

Setting the colony starting resources (Scientists, Workers, Children, Food, Common Ore, Rare Ore).
And also things like which colony you are (Eden/Plymouth) and color, and where your view is centered on at startup.
It might also be nice to have a prebuilt set of victory and failure conditions to select from (Land Rush, Space Race, etc.).

Offline gpgarrettboast

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: June 26, 2004, 02:09:23 AM »
Maybe two modes like simple and advanced.  People not that good at computers but like op2 can use simple, but advanced will let you control more aspects.

« Reply #21 on: June 26, 2004, 05:28:09 AM »
Well... own terrain tiles, but I think it is impssible...
Official Site

PLANNING[|||||||||-]
GRAPHICS [||||------]
SOUNDS [|---------]
CODING [----------]

Offline RedXIII

• http://www.battletechmodproductions.com
« Reply #22 on: June 26, 2004, 09:18:23 AM »
Well, a lot of these are obvious, oh well:

- Modifying Mining beacons, and weither they are dynamic (changing from each time you play the mission) or static (Remains what they are permanently, a 3-Bar Common beacon will be a 3-bar common beacon no matter what you do).

- Modifying Colony Starting resources, population, food, common and rare ore.

- Modifying Contents of all vehicles, I think that not only Common/Rare ore AND Metals and Common and Rare Rubble should be an option, but wierd stuff should be avalible too, like Wreakage, Gene Bank, etc. Along with Convecs and Evacuation transports.

- Modifying Contents of Structures, this should be possible since the structure fac in Last one Standing starts with 6 kits.

- Modifying Allegiances (This is initially for colony games, right?), You can basically 'Ally' and 'Remove alliances' between factions.

- Modifying Disasters. Especially Volcanic lava flows, and when they start to appear/erupt and where they are more likely to occur.

- I beleive some sort of basic system should allow one to put basic mission conditions. Example, if your objective is to defend the Gene Bank, it does not matter weither the Gene Bank is snuggled away in a Truck or in some building somewhere, it consistantly checks if that it simply exists in the map somewhere, if the 'Gene Bank' no longer exists (IE, the player dumped it or it got destroyed when the structure/vehicle it was in blew up) Than the Mission fails.

- Modifying what researches and technologies are avalible, and what the colony starts off with (In Terms of Technology). Nothing like starting off from a clean slate, having to research the 5 Basic technologies. Also what is avalible and not avalible for construction and research.

- Adding/Removing/changing Fumeroles (Holes in the ground with smoke coming out) And Lava thingy (To put lava wells) Locaitons.

- Adding/Removing wreakages and other things that are in the map surface, so you have to find them with a scout.
-Nanaki 'RedXIII' Leroux

A pouncing cat stalks the hunting cat roar the two enraged in a death's embrace the coiled serpent crushes both. A pouncing cat stalks the hunting cat with care, the pouncing cat watches the coiled serpent crushes the hunting cat, a new star is born.
- T

« Reply #23 on: June 26, 2004, 09:25:32 AM »
Well, that was a long list of good ideas... Oh, and I think the mining beacons are Dynamic
Official Site

PLANNING[|||||||||-]
GRAPHICS [||||------]
SOUNDS [|---------]
CODING [----------]

Offline RedXIII

• http://www.battletechmodproductions.com
« Reply #24 on: June 26, 2004, 09:31:24 AM »
They can be either dynamic or static, that I saw. Look in maps like Pie Chart, you ALWAYS get a 2-bar common ore and a 1-bar rare ore. It is not random.
-Nanaki 'RedXIII' Leroux

A pouncing cat stalks the hunting cat roar the two enraged in a death's embrace the coiled serpent crushes both. A pouncing cat stalks the hunting cat with care, the pouncing cat watches the coiled serpent crushes the hunting cat, a new star is born.
- T