Author Topic: Eve Tek Tank  (Read 35997 times)

Offline Sirbomber

Eve Tek Tank
« Reply #25 on: March 28, 2010, 03:08:34 PM »
they had the resources to do such a thing in the post apoc earth your talking about i dont believe they would have that sort of luxury so a shorter trip and terraforming or just shielded domes. or even staying underground on earth would be a good option just because of the shielding magnetosphere.
They got the resources they needed for a new starship by leveling 19 cities.  This process was made easier since the 19 cities in question had already been leveled by Vulcan's Hammer.  :P

Really though, they've got an entire ruined world to scavenge and recycle resources from.  I'm sure the crap left behind by 6+ billion humans would be more than enough for several starships.  The only problem might be getting the stuff to orbit, but since some survivors still live in orbital shelters constructed before the impact, clearly surface-to-orbit space travel was a trivial matter.

Edit: And yes Freeza, that is the definition of deus ex machina.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2010, 03:09:11 PM by Sirbomber »
"As usual, colonist opinion is split between those who think the plague is a good idea, and those who are dying from it." - Outpost Evening Star

Outpost 2 Coding 101 Tutorials

Offline Freeza-CII

• Administrator
Eve Tek Tank
« Reply #26 on: March 28, 2010, 11:49:11 PM »
Really though, they've got an entire ruined world to scavenge and recycle resources from. I'm sure the crap left behind by 6+ billion humans would be more than enough for several starships. The only problem might be getting the stuff to orbit, but since some survivors still live in orbital shelters constructed before the impact, clearly surface-to-orbit space travel was a trivial matter.

well the problem with this is you would have to rebuild the space craft to land and float on the ocean.  since landing on the ground would be a bit impossible due to the fact that all land based technology would be totally f***ed.  which leads back to the fact that even if you salvaged the s*** from 19 cities i doubt your going to beable to build another interstellar space ship. A solar space ship would be possible as you one have to shield the ship from the sun and not the full blown deep space radiation.  Just the fact that you have humans from earth trying to survive on mars with all there earth like insecurities and religions instead of the hand selected 200.  there is you cause for conflict.  and to behonest if you can build the space ship could could just stay on earth because if nothing else the planet will just be a bit colder.

Offline Sirbomber

Eve Tek Tank
« Reply #27 on: March 30, 2010, 11:52:39 PM »
I'm taking a more idealistic approach to how humanity will act after the end of the world.  I'm probably not going to get a lot of support for that decision, but I really don't care.

Anyways, building off of that assumption, we assume people put aside their petty differences to make their more or less miserable lives better.  They find that they, theoretically, could follow a starship which they believe found a new paradise for humanity.  They don't know New Terra blows (of course, if the Blight has died off by the time they arrive then theoretically it may be a pretty nice place).  So the survivors on Earth scrape together everything they can to get the new starship (aptly named the Hope) operational.  Of course, it's of lower quality than the original, so less people are brought and its various other systems are of lower quality than the original Conestoga.  This explains why they take so long to reach New Terra (among other things).
"As usual, colonist opinion is split between those who think the plague is a good idea, and those who are dying from it." - Outpost Evening Star

Offline Freeza-CII

• Administrator
Eve Tek Tank
« Reply #28 on: March 31, 2010, 12:24:24 PM »
Anyways, building off of that assumption, we assume people put aside their petty differences to make their more or less miserable lives better. They find that they, theoretically, could follow a starship which they believe found a new paradise for humanity. They don't know New Terra blows (of course, if the Blight has died off by the time they arrive then theoretically it may be a pretty nice place). So the survivors on Earth scrape together everything they can to get the new starship (aptly named the Hope) operational. Of course, it's of lower quality than the original, so less people are brought and its various other systems are of lower quality than the original Conestoga. This explains why they take so long to reach New Terra (among other things).

idealistic or not. IT still doesnt make any logical sence to try to follow them when you could establish a colony in the sol system itself and have a direct access to earth and earth to that colony. it would make ther survivablity alot better.  and besides there is going to be more then 200 people left on earth they may not want to be left behind. chasing after a ship with a crappier version that has possibly been destroyed or lost.  Just doesnt sound like some thing people would really get on board with. especially when they can take that crappy ship and fly it to mars then refuel at jupiter then back to earth over and over again.  And if any one is going to bring up asteroids.  well there every where dont think that sol is the only system in the universe with floating space rocks.

Offline WooJoo

Eve Tek Tank
« Reply #29 on: March 31, 2010, 02:23:29 PM »
Just to state this:

why didnt they colonize mars?

the planet doesnt has a functional atmosphere becouse of its low size
that leads to the conclusion that the humans wanted to find a permant
new home where they could get a atmosphere which could be enriched with
breathable air.

even if they tryed the mars could not hold the breathable air becouse of its size
it would just float of to the space becouse of the high CO² concentration

Offline AmIMeYet

Eve Tek Tank
« Reply #30 on: March 31, 2010, 02:53:25 PM »
even if they tryed the mars could not hold the breathable air becouse of its size
it would just float of to the space becouse of the high CO² concentration
Well actually it should be sustainable to keep the oxygen in the atmosphere. Don't expect sources though..

Edit: We could do it right now, with current technology. The People just aren't ready yet and there's a tiny budget shortage..
« Last Edit: March 31, 2010, 03:05:21 PM by AmIMeYet »

Offline ducktape

Eve Tek Tank
« Reply #31 on: March 31, 2010, 06:22:35 PM »
Another problem with Mars is lack of a magnetic field to protect the colonists from solar radiation. Perhaps the energy/materials to construct/maintain radiation shields on the surface was more than they were willing to spend and decided to look for a more sheltering planet.

Offline Freeza-CII

• Administrator
Eve Tek Tank
« Reply #32 on: April 01, 2010, 07:16:40 PM »
Mars is just a example and it would be possible to shield a colony. there are other places in sol system such as venus titan ect..  

Offline jcj94

• http://techfusion-279.com
Eve Tek Tank
« Reply #33 on: April 01, 2010, 08:05:31 PM »

black theary-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------initial wormhole reserch
worm hole macanics--------------------------------------------------------------------------------second stage of  wormhole reserch
wormhole generation----------------------------------------------------------------------Third and final stage of wormhole reserch

Dude wormhole would be sweet!  You could, if its what i think it is, jump across the map!!
« Last Edit: April 01, 2010, 08:05:52 PM by jcj94 »

Offline Highlander

• Outpost 2 Elder
Eve Tek Tank
« Reply #34 on: April 02, 2010, 02:19:29 AM »
Dude wormhole would be sweet!  You could, if its what i think it is, jump across the map!!
I don't see the awesomeness is having a bunch of Thor tigers or Supernovas instantly appear in my base.. ?
There can be Only one. Wipe Them out. All of Them.

Old player still playing. Visit Spark for a game of Outpost 2

Offline TH300

• http://op3game.net
Eve Tek Tank
« Reply #35 on: April 02, 2010, 02:30:43 AM »
Dude wormhole would be sweet!  You could, if its what i think it is, jump across the map!!
I don't see the awesomeness is having a bunch of Thor tigers or Supernovas instantly appear in my base.. ?
ROFL! Sure, it would be awesome. Would be so much more fun. Really, didn't anyone else find traditional warfare boring? There have to be surprises! </sarcasm>

Offline WooJoo

Eve Tek Tank
« Reply #36 on: April 02, 2010, 08:15:05 AM »
there was an rts in which you could manipulate the timeline while playing against other human players... your dead before your born...

Offline Kayedon

Eve Tek Tank
« Reply #37 on: April 02, 2010, 09:45:38 AM »
WooJoo, you mean Achron?  
"Trust me, I'm crazy."

Offline jcj94

Eve Tek Tank
« Reply #38 on: April 02, 2010, 10:00:16 AM »

Put a limmit on armed vehichles.  But for multi-player, you could use a wormhole to ship convec or other important vehichles.  You could also have multiple bases.  You could also take and have a whole bunch on mining posts and have perma-wormholes to constantly ship resouces to your main base.  Less biulding less resources used on those types of projects.  Then you could use those resources you would have used on all the smelters to build vehichles.

Offline BlackBox

• Administrator
Eve Tek Tank
« Reply #39 on: April 02, 2010, 10:44:46 AM »
It might be prudent to mention that wormholes are not really possible in OP2, besides using a starcraft nydus-canal like system (could use relatively useless structures like light towers to accomplish this), in other words it would be limited to custom missions only. That being said, wormholes for transportation and other unrealistic scifi ideas (e.g. FTL travel) are not at all within the spirit of the OP series.

Offline Sirbomber

Eve Tek Tank
« Reply #40 on: April 02, 2010, 11:43:56 AM »
I could see a network of underground tubes being feasible.  Expensive, but feasible.

Offline evecolonycamander

Eve Tek Tank
« Reply #41 on: April 02, 2010, 11:58:53 AM »
Okey the worm hole tek was for the END GAME SCENARIO that i gave up on due to mass disapproval i at this point am thinking of only using it for disconnecting certain buildings from the main colony
examples are
  • structure factory
  • vehicle factory
only because you don't need people to run them like a residents
Reply is unfinished
''The blight cant get us up here!''
-famous last words
--------------o0o--------------
Outpost 2: EoM project status: Re-planning

Offline jcj94

Eve Tek Tank
« Reply #42 on: April 02, 2010, 01:26:49 PM »
That being said, wormholes for transportation and other unrealistic scifi ideas (e.g. FTL travel) are not at all within the spirit of the OP series.
Okay didn't someone post that he can post his ideas and we either
A: ignore them. or

B: Tell him he's waisting his time, or

C: Let him found out on his own how difficult it can be.

I personaly like his idea.

Offline Freeza-CII

• Administrator
Eve Tek Tank
« Reply #43 on: April 02, 2010, 05:42:08 PM »
Okey the worm hole tek was for the END GAME SCENARIO that i gave up on due to mass disapproval i at this point am thinking of only using it for disconnecting certain buildings from the main colony

could you explain this.  Becuase to me it sounds like you want to have wormholes disconnect a building and i just dont get it.  Seeing as they are already impractical and improbable and not only that are still just theory on paper with no proof of exsisting. Plus there is vec that can do this job already the earth worker.

Eve Tek Tank
« Reply #44 on: April 03, 2010, 10:26:01 AM »

could you explain this.  Becuase to me it sounds like you want to have wormholes disconnect a building and i just dont get it.  Seeing as they are already impractical and improbable and not only that are still just theory on paper with no proof of exsisting. Plus there is vec that can do this job already the earth worker.
if i make the amount of sci/workers 0 then the building will run as long as there is enough power and it is not "in the red" HP wise. in other words no cc will be needed for the said building. but as i said i gave up on the worm hole idea in favor of a more feasible idea, radio transmitters between buildings and robotics
-famous last words

Offline Freeza-CII

• Administrator
Eve Tek Tank
« Reply #45 on: April 03, 2010, 02:26:35 PM »
no cc will be needed. well now your taking away one of the better parts of the game.  Removing the need to have workers or scientists would break the game.  As its some thing you dont need to upkeep your colony.  human survival is a part of the game even if you never see them. plus there are just some thing that human can do that robot cant and probably cant ever.

Eve Tek Tank
« Reply #46 on: April 03, 2010, 04:14:54 PM »
no no i GAVE UP on worm holes what i wrote above was what i was going to do
-famous last words

Offline Freeza-CII

• Administrator
Eve Tek Tank
« Reply #47 on: April 03, 2010, 10:31:33 PM »
i aint talking about wormholes.

to me it sounds like you want to get rid of part of the micro management of the op2 colonies the people.

Offline jcj94

Eve Tek Tank
« Reply #48 on: April 04, 2010, 04:01:35 PM »
I think the idea he is getting at would be having remote colonies and not have to have a CC hooked up to said colony.  This wy you could mine and not have to worry about unprotected areas of long travel for cargo trucks.  i personaly like that idea, at least for multi player or colony games.

Offline Hidiot

Eve Tek Tank
« Reply #49 on: April 04, 2010, 04:18:06 PM »
Just put in a CC there or tube all the way if you can't spare the 4 workers and 1 scientist.

Don't try to circumvent processes just because you're too lazy/afraid to go through them, when enough other people can.
"Nothing from nowhere, I'm no one at all"