Author Topic: Unit Ideas?  (Read 21927 times)

Offline Sirbomber

Unit Ideas?
« Reply #75 on: September 29, 2009, 10:08:21 PM »
Well, I'm not a big fan of military multilayer myself
LOL N00B
"As usual, colonist opinion is split between those who think the plague is a good idea, and those who are dying from it." - Outpost Evening Star

Outpost 2 Coding 101 Tutorials

Offline Spikerocks101

Unit Ideas?
« Reply #76 on: September 30, 2009, 10:36:26 AM »
A thou said 2 times here I think, Mobile Defense might not be so bad. Able to stop Missile with a powerful Laser, and smaller projectiles with a small, light laser. I.E. used in the front lines against RPGs, EMPs, ESGs, Rail guns, Acids, ect. Maybe a stealth turret. It projects light that only you can se, and so you can move your army at fast speeds, but dont have the light showing so the enemy could be unaware of them. On tigers, could have extreme range to make up for slowness.
I AM YOUR PET ROCK!!!!!!

Offline Hooman

• Administrator
Unit Ideas?
« Reply #77 on: September 30, 2009, 11:24:04 PM »
Earthworkers only take damage when cutting active tubes. If there is a long string off into nowhere, and you first cut the tube between a building and the string to nowhere, I believe you can then cut the rest of the string without taking further damage.

But yes, that does seem to be to stop you from completely removing all of your enemies tubes while they aren't looking. This way you only get to cut 3 tubes per earthworker.

It would be nice if you could repair walls. That's always annoyed me about them. Particularly when you consider the aesthetic reasons for building them. Plus, it'd be nice if the controls allowed you to build wall layers easier.

Sirbomber, be nice!

I'd rather not see convention weapons like RPG getting shot down. That just seems potentially too unbalancing. Plus, with the speed the projectiles are animated at, it would seem a bit odd and error prone. At best, I'd imagine it'd have a very very low rate of success. Of course, you'd think a rocket re-entering the atmosphere would be travelling faster than conventional weapons, but that's not how it appears in game with the speed of the animations.

Offline Kayedon

Unit Ideas?
« Reply #78 on: October 01, 2009, 09:35:08 AM »
Spike, you have to understand the reason Tigers are so bloody slow is the fact that they are Heavy Tanks.

Lynx: Light armour, high speed
Panther: Medium armour, medium speed
Tiger: Heavy armour, low speed

It's part of the balance. Unfortunately, all the armour upgrades make panthers basically one-turret tigers with a tiny bit of HP less and way cheaper. And still useless. -shrug-

I dunno though, I'm not much into combat.
"Trust me, I'm crazy."

Offline Freeza-CII

• Administrator
Unit Ideas?
« Reply #79 on: October 01, 2009, 11:10:32 AM »
pathers are a basterd child they wont be used because youll either need speed or brute force.

the emp tokamak/power plants.  if its going to do the same thing as a emp gp then why even have that kinda redundancy just build the gp instead of the power plant.  and if the power plant were to have a contant emp wave around it how is it going to transmit its power via microwave transmitter.  I would think that when dealing with power plants you only want them to do one thing and thats power.  making them into the next weapon seem like a really bad idea.  they dont put a platoon of doctors on front lines because they gave them some extra tanks that were laying around.

the whole idea about the tank weapons i.e. the rpg and any other missile or canister based weapon getting shot down by a point defense system is really unbalancing not to mention it would cause a game of never endingness.  

there is a emp weapon like that the emp for turrets/gps and the emp missile.  it just disables the unit for a short time.

the problem i see with using electrical storms to power is 1 they occur randomly 2 they destroy buildings and 3 it would just be a ineffective way of getting power when other reliable sources are at hand.

some one mentioned stealth.  i am and will always be against a stealth unit.  the truths about them.  they cant be seen by the other player there usually a light unit so there pretty easy to build and crank out. that being said even if they cant be built that easy lets picture oh say about 10 of these invisible units going into a base while wearing explosive hats.  yes aint going to happen. not exactly what was posted.  a light that only you can see i dont see how that is going to work.  if you can see it so can they. unless its in the before mentioned stealth "stuff".

Offline Sirbomber

Unit Ideas?
« Reply #80 on: October 01, 2009, 01:21:42 PM »
Stealth could work by, say, equipping a unit with IR or sonar sensors instead of visual sensors.  That way they would be just as fast with their lights off (though I'd imagine a unit such as this wouldn't be equipped with lights in the first place).  Of course, these inferior sensors wouldn't provide enough data for the onboard computer to make intelligent decisions (gameplay translation: won't autofire at enemies, has even crappier pathfinding than usual), so the vehicle would pretty much have to be manually controlled (by the player, not by a driver you dolt).  This would prevent stealth units from being spammable, "fire-and-forget" units since if you try to use them this way they'll just get owned.
"As usual, colonist opinion is split between those who think the plague is a good idea, and those who are dying from it." - Outpost Evening Star

Offline Hidiot

Unit Ideas?
« Reply #81 on: October 01, 2009, 01:39:42 PM »
Makes sense that I'm sacrificing the standard-issue savant-control and on-board computers used in every other vehicle just so it can be stealth-ed.

I'd rather use cammo netting to make it blend in with the ground for the satellite view.
Of course, I'd have to change it whenever I change terrain types, but sometimes, even stationary cammoed units can help.
"Nothing from nowhere, I'm no one at all"

Offline Sirbomber

Unit Ideas?
« Reply #82 on: October 01, 2009, 02:04:31 PM »
To be fair, if you were supposed to be in stealth mode, I somehow don't think it'd be in your best interest to arbitrarily open fire on the first enemy that got within range...  But, I see your point.  Then again, I never said it made sense, did I?  :P  

Offline Spikerocks101

Unit Ideas?
« Reply #83 on: October 01, 2009, 08:22:07 PM »
Well, you could have cammo non the less, just basic cammo (like mostly gray, so that it could look like a scout, lets say, but when you look a little closer, you see a turret or something. That way, it moves fast, gets the same job done, but the enemy might just pass it off as an annoying freak trying to scout spam. Thou i still don't see why stealth seriously the most important part of war besides the battles them self) can't be included. for a colony might not want to go to war with another, but still stop them from making tanks, and send some stealth bomber to destroy factories (just like making all star flare units move same speed invisible as visible).

btw, do earth workers not get heart if the tube to a colony is cut first as hooman said?
I AM YOUR PET ROCK!!!!!!

Offline Freeza-CII

• Administrator
Unit Ideas?
« Reply #84 on: October 02, 2009, 02:40:22 PM »
stealth give you the upper hand of being able to strike preemtively. OOOOr to sneak starflare/novas in to some one base for a c*ck slap.  

i believe the plymouth units are brown to try to blend in but it doesnt really help any.  If any thing i think every ones idea of stealth is the same as shutting off your lights on a dark map.  cray stuff in having to hunt every thing down with scouts tho realistic seem more like a mood killer for the game. seek seek seeek seeeeeeek seeeeeeeek boom my base is gone i couldnt find them.

earth workers get hurt no matter what tube they cut i believe.

and more about the ECM and its last command from the "jammed" unit.

ya i can see it not being able to receive commands after the intial jamming.  but i also referred to the IFF (identify friendly or foe) if the ecm could screw that up the tanks might just start shooting any thing around them. because there has to be some way for the on board computers to go ok that is a enemy and that one is not.  and its either a visual system since they have vastly different turrets or its some kind of target before they enter the field.  basicly on that each unit deemed a hostile is marked and tracked so they can be destroyed or disabled.  how ever that would require a constant link to the savant computers and i dont know in the combat units had a savant or just some really good computer that was expendable and easy to make.

Offline Sirbomber

Unit Ideas?
« Reply #85 on: October 02, 2009, 04:01:36 PM »
because there has to be some way for the on board computers to go ok that is a enemy and that one is not.
It's called paint.  Why do you think each player has a different color paint for their units?  Duh.  ;)  

Offline Freeza-CII

• Administrator
Unit Ideas?
« Reply #86 on: October 02, 2009, 07:04:41 PM »
that is just for the humans looking down at there world of op2 i would highly doubt any one by me would paint a tank that fires lightning bolts pink.  but that is the basic idea of how even the ai of a remote tank could pick friend or foe with a virtual color of marked units hehe. :P

Offline PUNK_FOX

Unit Ideas?
« Reply #87 on: October 03, 2009, 04:10:24 AM »
well, you could do a night stealth, even though that's already done but without turning off your lights. like have your units only visible to your radar and screen.

The stealth units can only be visible if, for example, a light tower spots it or a guard post. There would be a more purpose for the computer to say "Enemy Unit Sighted" as soon as they get into enemy range
Punk Staind Blood

Offline PUNK_FOX

Unit Ideas?
« Reply #88 on: October 03, 2009, 04:17:31 AM »
oops, looks like this was already discussed. How about a night vision light then? like a green light around you to see?
« Last Edit: October 03, 2009, 04:18:03 AM by warwalker »
Punk Staind Blood

Offline Hidiot

Unit Ideas?
« Reply #89 on: October 03, 2009, 05:16:54 AM »
Use. EDIT. Button.

Light towers make light, since that is their purpose. That's also why they're called "Light Tower"s.

Now, Guard Posts... they should be ridden with sensors, and so should be able to warn you of anything they see that appears hostile.

Offline Highlander

• Outpost 2 Elder
Unit Ideas?
« Reply #90 on: October 03, 2009, 11:38:10 AM »
If any thing i think every ones idea of stealth is the same as shutting off your lights on a dark map.  cray stuff in having to hunt every thing down with scouts tho realistic seem more like a mood killer for the game. seek seek seeek seeeeeeek seeeeeeeek boom my base is gone i couldnt find them.
The present game pretty much solves this already ?

Most bases are originally walled up or got hills surrounding them. Default LoS are mostly that way at least. These days we mostly play LR though and most people are quite good at placing their bases somewhere easy to defend. Even if you are stuck out in the open, you are more often than not defeated by tactical manouvers/placement of units rather than the invisible raid in the dark.

So basicly, stealth units in the form of "lights off" will have little impact on the game I'd think. Either you sit in a defensible position with a few entrances to watch, or your out in the open and pretty much F'd in any case.
There can be Only one. Wipe Them out. All of Them.

Old player still playing. Visit Spark for a game of Outpost 2

Offline Sirbomber

Unit Ideas?
« Reply #91 on: October 03, 2009, 01:22:30 PM »
Nuke the sun; then you can have permanight and be stealthy all the time.  You know, right up until the resulting supernova engulfs the planet and owns you.

Offline Freeza-CII

• Administrator
Unit Ideas?
« Reply #92 on: October 03, 2009, 02:15:31 PM »
The present game pretty much solves this already ?

the present game you dont have to use a scout to find the units. thats how its different.

chances are the sun would go red giant before super nova thus ending it all before the bang.

part of the problem why people dont use light posts as forward look out or just to make there base look cool at night. which I believe was solved recently was the building cap. depending on that map of course.  and how every one is playing if your going pure rush you dont bother with such trivial buildings.

Offline Sirbomber

Unit Ideas?
« Reply #93 on: October 03, 2009, 03:37:40 PM »
The reason nobody uses Light Towers is because Scouts are easier to build, can move, and give you an "Enemy unit sighted!" warning.

Offline Hidiot

Unit Ideas?
« Reply #94 on: October 04, 2009, 01:44:57 AM »
They can also be auto-targeted, while Light Towers can't.

Offline Sirbomber

Unit Ideas?
« Reply #95 on: October 04, 2009, 08:15:11 AM »
Um... so what?  That's just another warning you'll get.

Stop being such a killjoy.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2009, 08:15:23 AM by Sirbomber »

Offline Freeza-CII

• Administrator
Unit Ideas?
« Reply #96 on: October 05, 2009, 01:24:10 AM »
we should make the light towers solar powered so they only work in the day time.

Offline Hidiot

Unit Ideas?
« Reply #97 on: October 05, 2009, 03:04:09 AM »
Wouldn't that defeat their whole purpose of illuminating dark areas?

Give all buildings except GPs and light towers a sight range of 1 or 0 and all units sight range a value of 1 or 2 and then let's see how light tower usage goes up :P
« Last Edit: October 05, 2009, 03:05:18 AM by Hidiot »

Offline vennom

Unit Ideas?
« Reply #98 on: October 05, 2009, 10:36:15 PM »
we should make the light towers solar powered so they only work in the day time.

Light + Light = win

Offline Kayedon

Unit Ideas?
« Reply #99 on: October 06, 2009, 10:32:27 AM »
Light + Light = win
Yes. Let's try this in real life. Solarpowered streetlights. They only run when the sun is shining!

No offence Freeza. But that was a rather dumb move. I hope there is a hidden [/sarcasm] tag in there. :)
"Trust me, I'm crazy."