Author Topic: Outpost: Genesis Info Leak  (Read 71834 times)

Offline TH300

• http://op3game.net
Outpost: Genesis Info Leak
« Reply #75 on: September 08, 2005, 02:29:03 PM »
Freeza has a point. it has to be realistic.
and when any realistic explanation for the explosions can be made up, we should use that.
I hope that I don't give away too much when I say we need only ONE explosion. So the explosives won't necessarily be used up when the game begins.

Offline Freeza-CII

• Administrator
« Reply #76 on: September 08, 2005, 04:50:46 PM »
Well if you have a gas coming out of the ground that is already super hot from atmosphere the gas most likely will be under pressure because the gas itself will be hot.  Once it gets to the surface it would have to either find a ingition or have a chemical reaction with another gas.  But also if the gas is reacting with the salt what kind of salt is it.  Sodium Chloride is table salt the most basic the salt you put on your drive ways is different.  So maybe if you can find a salt and a gas that would combine in a violent reaction then i think youll have it.  

Magnesium and water Goes Boom  Phosferous and water Goes Boom  Even a M&M can explode given the right chemicals.

Oh yes dont you think having the gas come up where the mines are would be a little bad as it would disable the mines constantly.

FORCE SHIELDS you have got to be kidding me.  Seems to every ones answer to a problem as such.  all you would need is building reinforcement and heat shielding not a dumb energy shield.  

Imagine the power requirement for such a thing because you couldnt just have one.  one shield generator would have a sphere of influance.  But i dont really like the idea of a shield.  Sound to Technological so it would have to belong to Eden while Plymouth would have some camo net.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2005, 04:58:33 PM by Freeza-CII »

Offline Stormy

• http://www.op3game.net
« Reply #77 on: September 08, 2005, 06:33:44 PM »
PLEASE use your PoWEr T0oL and Punctuation!
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·
3D artist in Blender, MS3D, and Terragen.
Trying to get good with Scene composition and lighting.

Offline BlackBox

• Administrator
« Reply #78 on: September 08, 2005, 08:29:42 PM »
Well, I don't think salts would be a very realistic idea.

Salts (and most ionic compounds) stay extremely stable unless dissolved in a  water solution. (Then they dissociate... the same principle is how acids form)

Gases could react with other gases at high temperatures... The high temperature and pressure could provide enough activation energy for the explosion.

As for common gases and reactive non-ionic compounds: Many, many nitrogen compounds are highly reactive. Not necessarily explosive, but they will react.

NOx gases (nitric oxide, nitrous oxide, etc) react with water vapor and other hydrocarbons to produce smog.

Maybe you could use a 'pollution' or 'toxic' aspect to reacting compounds, e.g. a smog cloud covered the solar power array, so power is going offline.

Or maybe 'waste output' from some sort of building can react with stuff in the air to create problems.

Only other things I can think of are things like oxidizers... certain compounds when exposed undergo an extremely violent oxidation reaction. However they aren't often naturally occurring. (And you'll need oxygen from somewhere)

Also consider you could use other phenomena like lightning, etc to trigger reactions.

Yeah, I think things like "force fields" would only serve to make the game boring. The technology isn't that advanced, the OP series would seem to take place in the 21st or 22nd century so..

You shouldn't have to have 'force fields' to solve your every problem.

Offline leeor_net

• Administrator
  • OPHD Lead Developer
    • LairWorks Entertainment
« Reply #79 on: September 08, 2005, 09:47:14 PM »
I skipped over reading some of the posts because I wanted to respond to Freeza about the pressures of the atmosphere.

First off, the pressures on Bob are half that of Venus. So it's not as bad.

Second, the Original OUTPOST, which is what OP2 is based on, has Venus type planets that you CAN land on and survive on. The technology that they have is able to withstand the pressures of the atmospheric gasses. Plus, all of the residential stuff is underground.

The surface structures have extremely strong armor which is what enables them to withstand the high pressures.

And, again, I want to point out that Bob is not Venus. It's not as hostile. The biggest things they have in common are the high carbon-dioxide makeup of the atmosphere and the thick sulfuric acid clouds.

As far as most of the structures are concerned, many of them may indeed need to be built without glass windows or, at the very least, extremely strong glass that is capable of withstanding such pressures. It's possible, even with our technology today. However, with our technology today and the way the world works, it would cost more than what any government would put up to build anything on the surface of Venus or anything else. Plus, it would just not make any sense.

However, as the original colonists from Earth left in approximatly 2045 - 2060 ad, I imagine that armor technology is much much better than what we've got now (look at the difference between 1945 tanks and todays tanks). So these things are feasible if you're looking almost 60 years into the future.

As far as engergy shielding is concerned, with development into ion emitters and controlled electromagnetic plane generators, they are, again, feasible. Granted they won't be anything like you see in Star Trek but they can, theoretically block out certain kinds of radiation and possibly even biological materials.

I am actually out of time so I have to cut this short.

Offline leeor_net

• Administrator
  • OPHD Lead Developer
« Reply #80 on: September 10, 2005, 05:38:37 PM »
BOB_VIEW movie fixed and re-uploaded! It's also a lot smaller.

Anyone with WinAMP or Windows Media Player should be able to view the file... it's WMV

Anyway, here's the link:

http://genesis.outpostuniverse.net/videos/bob_menu.jpg

EDIT: Removed 'img' tags and left the original links instead. Unfortunately I no longer have these images.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2017, 02:11:53 PM by leeor_net »

Offline Freeza-CII

• Administrator
« Reply #81 on: September 12, 2005, 12:42:47 AM »
You have any info to leak on Tech or new vecs :)

Offline leeor_net

• Administrator
  • OPHD Lead Developer
« Reply #82 on: September 12, 2005, 02:13:51 PM »
Plenty, but I'll give you this:
========================================

Enhanced EMP (E-EMP): Because of the advent of Rogues and the potential damage they can inflict on the Plymouth colony structures, the E-EMP was developed to permanently disable a vehicle by destroying the underlying microprocessor circuitry and equipment. This version of the EMP will permanently disable all electronic equipment (except structures).

Lightning Rod: The extreme power and volatility of the electrical storms on ‘Bob’ have necesitated the need for protective devices for our various structures. A new version of the primitive 'Lightning Rod' can be used to attract much of the electrical power from lightning strikes and divert it elsewhere. We can also use these lightning rods to aid in the production and storage of electrical energy as our Tokomak Reactors are always in a state of disrepair.

Offline Freeza-CII

• Administrator
« Reply #83 on: September 12, 2005, 04:18:29 PM »
Wouldnt it be easier to blow up vecs that go rouge lol

Offline Stormy

« Reply #84 on: September 12, 2005, 08:23:39 PM »
Um ..   :o  Don't you need to know?  :P

You'll find out soon enough  ;)  B)  :D  

Offline Freeza-CII

• Administrator
« Reply #85 on: September 13, 2005, 05:39:24 PM »
Well I would think that a vec that doesnt work right any more is bound for the scrap heap :P

Offline leeor_net

• Administrator
  • OPHD Lead Developer
« Reply #86 on: September 13, 2005, 07:49:42 PM »
Actually, it takes a lot less energy to disable a vehicle via EMP weapons than it is to build and generate weapons platforms.

Well I would think that a vec that doesnt work right any more is bound for the scrap heap

Um, if you blew up a vehicle you wouldn't be able to reclaim anything, would you? Frying it electronics so that it never moves again leaves everything intact so that you can reclaim everything.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2005, 07:58:25 PM by leeor_net »

Offline Freeza-CII

• Administrator
« Reply #87 on: September 13, 2005, 09:32:18 PM »
Are you telling me a land mine wouldnt work as good as a emp.  Dont forget the simple techs that are out there.  Sure there simple but very destructive.  Ya but you have to replace all the boards and stuff is it really worth it.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2005, 09:33:11 PM by Freeza-CII »

Offline Leviathan

« Reply #88 on: September 13, 2005, 09:33:13 PM »
Realy like the sounds of new techs :D Great stuff

Offline Stormy

« Reply #89 on: September 13, 2005, 10:34:26 PM »
Glad you like it Levi, there's a LOT more than there is on the forums... But that will come at a later time  :o  :P  ;)  :D  

Offline leeor_net

• Administrator
  • OPHD Lead Developer
« Reply #90 on: September 14, 2005, 09:18:58 AM »
Are you telling me a land mine wouldnt work as good as a emp

On 'Bob', mines are the best way of collecting resources. But who said that the story revolved around a single planet?

You ask many questions and I can garantee that they will all be answered soon. The thing right now is that our Outline is in the process of a major major major overhaul for a good release. There are a few points that were brought up that allow me to help explain some of the inherent flaws with the original outline so it's going to be a short while before that gets done and released.

By the same token, however, several parts of the official design documentation are underway and will hopefully guide us in the direction toward a kick-ass game.

Offline Eddy-B

• http://www.eddy-b.com
« Reply #91 on: September 14, 2005, 12:31:16 PM »
Nice looking bob movie! ... it seems the planet axis is tilted, but the cloud formations are not perpendicular to that axis.
I mean to say: the planet turns from left to right, and the "clouds" go upward slowly - except for the dark "equatorial" region...   to summarise it: it looks like a really weird turning planet.. hehe  nice work  (thumbsup)  
Rule #1:  Eddy is always right
Rule #2: If you think he's wrong, see rule #1
--------------------

Outpost : Renegades - Eddy-B.com - Electronics Pit[/siz

Offline Leviathan

« Reply #92 on: September 14, 2005, 02:35:42 PM »
How many resourse tyes are there??

Offline leeor_net

• Administrator
  • OPHD Lead Developer
« Reply #93 on: September 14, 2005, 11:29:04 PM »
The resources will remain the same: Food, Morale, Workers, Scientists, Common, Rare. I don't think there will be any others. At least, we havn't discussed any and I don't really see a need to throw anything new in there.

Yeah, those light clouds moving upward I threw in there because it actually looked cooler that way. It's supposed to be a cloud layer higher up in the atmosphere running with a different current. I think it looks pretty neat... :)

Offline gamerscd0

« Reply #94 on: September 16, 2005, 04:09:04 PM »
the new jet strem on bob moving the clouds up :ph34r:  

Offline Freeza-CII

• Administrator
« Reply #95 on: September 21, 2005, 07:25:48 PM »
I heard some thing about a heavy ore a long time ago.  and it would be used for more advanced weapons to make them more costly to build.

Offline TH300

• http://op3game.net
« Reply #96 on: September 22, 2005, 07:41:11 PM »
My opinion: to make a weapon more expensive increase the rare metal costs.

But we will of course think about the pros and cons of a third ore. The probability that we add it isn't zero.

Offline leeor_net

• Administrator
  • OPHD Lead Developer
« Reply #97 on: September 24, 2005, 04:38:54 PM »
Agreed with TH300... we have all talked about the potential for a new resource (especially the fact that we're on a different planet now). However, resources may not necesesarily be something like a new kind of ore... it could be something like a specific type of gas contained within the surface of the planet that's used for a new type of weapon or to develop a faster-growing atmosphere for the Agridomes.

The possibilities are truelly endless but we still need to keep things relatively simple due to the fact that Outpost2 and Outpost3 are indeed real-time strategy games: needing to look after too many resources can potentially ruin the mood of the game.

Offline Leviathan

« Reply #98 on: September 24, 2005, 04:55:30 PM »
i think there should be a 3rd resource, population limit. like in many other rts's.

Offline Stormy

« Reply #99 on: September 25, 2005, 09:35:19 AM »
eh, I don't like the idea of a population limit, it can make everything a little boring after a while. However, how about people die from unemployment after a period of time, because they don't have any 'credits' to spend at the agridome for food. (this is a bunch of 'novella' type info... but still)  ;) . However, some people would survive even though they are unemployed, as a friend would share food with them.

The 3rd ore, most people were calling 'Heavy Ore' is from knux's sequel i believe.

First of all, for a 3rd ore to happen, I personally would prefer to have another name than 'heavy ore' or whatever it was called; I don't want to steal any ideas from kunx or whoever made that.

The other ore could be as an armor addon to other vehicles/whatnot, and it's not really required for the building of structures, but it can be plated onto the structures/vehicles as extra armor.

Sound cool?  B)
« Last Edit: September 25, 2005, 09:37:47 AM by Stormy »