Author Topic: i found a glitch  (Read 4419 times)

Offline zeritou

i found a glitch
« on: October 19, 2004, 10:06:21 AM »
i have no clue how to post an image other than this so

notice the truck is being unloaded before the gorf is compleate
how to insult a klingon:

qatlh Quch Hab ghaj no'ra'
vaj HabHa''a' je 'uSDu'lIj joj

wich translates roughly to:

how come you guys never had those for head bumps in the first staktrek series and do you guys have bumps like that on your genitals too?

Offline PlayingOutpost0-24

• http://op3np.xfir.net
i found a glitch
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2004, 10:23:02 AM »
i had a glitch too

i built a guard post loaded it into the convec
i ordered it to build.
at the last sec i changed my mind and built elsewhere.
GUESS WHAT. THE GUARDPOST WAS BUILT WITHOUT A CONVEC.

But unfortunately...
it crashed my game.
Great news for OP2 fans... OP3 in progress.
Official Site
Outpost 3: A New Power progress
OP3:NP Discussion

Progress in OP3:NP[/size][/font]
PLANNING[|||||||||-]
GRAPHICS [||||------]
SOUNDS [|---------]
MAP DESIGNING [|||||-----]
CODING [----------]
Going slowly... Very slow.

Offline gpgarrettboast

• Administrator
i found a glitch
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2004, 10:27:14 AM »
lol.  looks like a glitch to me.  Can you replicate it?

Offline zeritou

i found a glitch
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2004, 02:55:00 PM »
i can replicate my glitch and i have experienced this other glitch but i couldnt replicate it because it needs allmost exact timing that i couldnt get again

also niether glitch crashed my game
« Last Edit: October 19, 2004, 02:55:51 PM by zeritou »
how to insult a klingon:

how come you guys never had those for head bumps in the first staktrek series and do you guys have bumps like that on your genitals too?

Offline BlackBox

• Administrator
i found a glitch
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2004, 05:28:39 PM »
It's not really a big deal if you can't get it to happen again.

There are minute bugs like this in every game made. Also, we don't really have the time or resources needed to go thru the game and fix every little problem like this. If we started doing that we'd get nothing done that needs to be done.

If you can get it to happen time after time again, then we'll look into it. Even if so, it doesn't appear to be a problem that would help a player win or anything like that.

Offline Leviathan

i found a glitch
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2004, 04:50:14 AM »
i have had that glitch with the GP
but i was building a tokmak, i changed my mind at the last second, the convec layed down and tokmak and it built with no convec, i then used the convec 2 build a 2nd tokmak. 2 tok's for the price of one :)

Offline zeritou

i found a glitch
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2004, 09:05:25 AM »
im sorry to contradict you hacker but both glitches could be used to help a player win

and if the "no convec" glitch has happened 3 times chances are it will happen again
how to insult a klingon:

i found a glitch
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2004, 09:06:10 AM »
mine crashed cuz of desync i guess... (Improved Pie, AllTech, 1v1)
Official Site

PLANNING[|||||||||-]
GRAPHICS [||||------]
SOUNDS [|---------]
CODING [----------]

Offline Highlander

• Outpost 2 Elder
i found a glitch
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2004, 01:46:25 PM »
Hehe, there are several glitches within the game. Some is detectable, some aren't.

The problem is, those who knew how to do them is gone, and thus (sadly?) the knowledge has been lost.

There can be Only one. Wipe Them out. All of Them.

Old player still playing. Visit Spark for a game of Outpost 2

Offline BlackBox

• Administrator
i found a glitch
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2004, 02:34:14 PM »
I'll look into it at some point, I'm sure it isn't a hard fix (just prevent the structure from doing any operation until it's fully built (same thing with the convec, if possible)

Offline Highlander

• Outpost 2 Elder
i found a glitch
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2004, 03:35:21 PM »
I hardly think it would be the effort.

The thing is quite hard to pull off, and you spend much time trying to get it work, so in most cases it won't be worth the effort. I've only seen 1 person who has been able to do it in just a couple of tries.

Anyways, it's not like nobody can hide the fact that their exploiting this trick right ?

i found a glitch
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2004, 05:38:47 PM »
heh, right
Official Site

PLANNING[|||||||||-]
GRAPHICS [||||------]
SOUNDS [|---------]
CODING [----------]

Offline Ezekel

• http://ezekel.deviantart.com
i found a glitch
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2004, 09:50:09 AM »
i already knew about the grof being screwed up -
its to do with the fact that collecting rubble (in an area) is controlled by the cargotruck i think is the reason (i.e. it will autounload at the gorf) ... i suppose if other things had an auto load/unload for them (just by moving onto the pad) then they'd do it too.

-welp thats my 2 seconds of wisdom
My mind is quicker then your eyes!

Never fight what you cannot see!!!

----------------------------------------------

The sleeper has awakened... and boy what a hangover!

Offline Tellaris

i found a glitch
« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2004, 04:45:12 PM »
i had a glitch too

i built a guard post loaded it into the convec
i ordered it to build.
at the last sec i changed my mind and built elsewhere.
GUESS WHAT. THE GUARDPOST WAS BUILT WITHOUT A CONVEC.

But unfortunately...
it crashed my game.
I've had this happen
I managed to cheat out 5 common ore smelters this way, and it DIDN'T crash.   VERY big bug, if we can, should fix it.

It was the same one all 4 other times...   In otherwords, I managed to time it perfectly...   Can't get that to happen very often anymore tho, but I do get it occasionally.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2004, 04:48:25 PM by Baikon »
Spell Checker!   The PoWeR tOoL
Click Here For Coolness
Self Proclaimed OPU Help desk.

Offline mustang09-06

i found a glitch
« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2004, 11:46:21 AM »
There are minute bugs like this in every game made. Also, we don't really have the time or resources needed to go thru the game and fix every little problem like this. If we started doing that we'd get nothing done that needs to be done.

If you can get it to happen time after time again, then we'll look into it. Even if so, it doesn't appear to be a problem that would help a player win or anything like that.

I couldn't have said like op2hacker did so I quoted his saying.  Which is true because we all have lives outside of OP2 and debugging would take a long time to do.

Offline §Panther

i found a glitch
« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2005, 12:02:28 AM »
Hehe, there are several glitches within the game. Some is detectable, some aren't.

The problem is, those who knew how to do them is gone, and thus (sadly?) the knowledge has been lost.
does the wall glitch still exist, or has it been patched?

Offline Highlander

• Outpost 2 Elder
i found a glitch
« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2005, 11:13:07 AM »
Not sure exactly what your reffering to, but invisible(invincible) walls do still exist I believe.

Offline BlackBox

• Administrator
i found a glitch
« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2005, 02:10:14 PM »
The wall glitch has not been patched.

I think what is happening with the wall glitch, is this:

-- When a wall is built two things happen. 1) The tile containing the wall is switched to a wall graphic from the tile set. 2) The tile's cell type (controls whether movement is permitted, as well as a few other characteristics) is switched to "wall" celltype.

-- When the wall is destroyed or removed, the tile graphic is removed. However, the wall celltype must never get changed back, so thus you have an invisible wall. (This isn't supposed to happen but as you see, it's probably what is happening).

The graphic by itself does nothing to the map. It must be a combination of the graphic + the celltype to exist as a "real" wall.

Tubes work the same way, (however they don't block movement, so harder to find) so invisible tubes are probably possible.

Offline Leviathan

i found a glitch
« Reply #18 on: May 05, 2005, 02:13:33 PM »
When you kill the starting GP at entrance of a base, like on pie, the microwave cant shoot over that square, as if a building was there. You can move over it though. Also im not sure but somthing similar with wall which is killed which they started with next to the GP.

Offline BlackBox

• Administrator
i found a glitch
« Reply #19 on: May 05, 2005, 02:22:01 PM »
Yep, that would be the cell type.

You can move over it if the graphic's not there but you can't do other stuff over it like shoot over it.

Offline Hooman

• Administrator
i found a glitch
« Reply #20 on: May 05, 2005, 03:07:34 PM »
I believe this relates to the Wall/Building flag being set when it's not supposed to be as well as cell type issues. If it was a cell type issue (for the GP thingy), then you wouldn't be able to move over the tile. There are a few things you'd have to consider which I've detailed in my file formats text files.

Each game tile has a few fields associated with it. The cell type (5 bits) which controls movability and speeds, the graphics tile displayed (11 bits), the index of the unit currently on this tile (if any) (11 bits, hence a maximum of 2048 units before this screws up, minus one value (0) for tiles that don't contain units), 5 flags bits for lava presence, lava possible, expansion (of blight or lava), blight presence, Wall/Building. If the Wall/Building flag is set, then the tile isn't movable no matter what it's cell type is.

Of course, the most annoying bug that I've come across is when walls get destroyed, and you can't build them back (the tile is unbuildable), but you can still move over the tile. Thus leaving you defenseless. :(

I really haven't looked into what combination of flags causes what problems though, so you'd have to guess. But it likely is something to do with those values above being set wrong.

(I would suspect it's also possible to have a building located in more than one place if the unit index bits ever get screwed up. Hmm....  :whistle: )

Offline Admiral S3

i found a glitch
« Reply #21 on: September 07, 2005, 10:38:25 PM »

Lad, you should know better then that. Old gamers never die, we just take vacations for a while.

As to the Wall glitch, there is actually more then one and they have been around since the beta's of the game.

1. Occurs when the Tube layer is destroyed while making a wall.... this one is the worst because the wall is actually built, can not be destroyed, can not be unbuilt, but it can not be seen and can not be driven or shot through by most weapons. (EMPs, RPGs, ESGs, Thors can shoot over it.)

2. The other one occurs when for unknown reasons a wall has sustained alot of damage, but not quite enough to actually destroy it. However the game has decided on its own volition to allow the wall to be destroyed as it expected it to take more damage with in the next .00001 to .00002 seconds from say a thors hammer firing in close proximity to it. (other weapons or damage has been known to apply on occasion.) This damage does not occur because in the space of that time the player has manually re-targetted a new structure, section of wall, or vehicle.

3rdly and last the Bulldozed wall. This is actually a glitch and it occurs to tubes too. A bull dozer for whate ever reason suddenly decides to bulldoze a tube or wall section. This wall or tube disappears and 99% of the time is no longer counted as present, however on rare occasions the cell remains as a very real presence that can not be destroyed, targetted, or other. Tubes found in this condition will still link to other structures, but can not be built over or connected too or off of.

The convec thing likewise has been around for a while. No offense Hacker, but it was reported hundreds of times to Dynamix and later Sierra and no one ever bothered to fix it. I am fair certain that the Wall gltiches and the Minor Convec glitches deal with the barely useful AI section of the engine. It seems to "expect" something to occur, and at the last second that changes, and it never changes its expectation.

I am reasonably sure that either these are unfixable items, or to fix them would require too much work, or fixing them may irrevicably damage some item in the game.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2005, 10:50:41 PM by Admiral S3 »
Deep beneath the planets surface ancient power systems spool up. Long forgotten, the citzens of the venerated Âlpha Ðefense League begin to wake from thier long sleep.

At long last the Admiral has returned.

Offline Admiral S3

i found a glitch
« Reply #22 on: September 07, 2005, 11:11:26 PM »
Acutally though giving it a few more seconds thought, tring to fix it, and having a few peeps test it after its been fixed may not be such a bad thing. The more I think about it the more minor glicthes I remember, and all of them in my opinion can be chalked up to the same thing, or well my version of the same thing, basically the games "Expectations".

Maybe its just a matter of adjusting the timer, or making a few things with 10 to 15 more hit points, or 10 or 15 less so they are sure to last long enough or die soon enough to be fully dead.

Doing something like that would not really mess up the game, sure the earth workers may last a few seconds longer then they used to, or walls might fall sooner then we are used to, but we would adapt.

Deep beneath the planets surface ancient power systems spool up. Long forgotten, the citzens of the venerated Âlpha Ðefense League begin to wake from thier long sleep.

Offline Highlander

• Outpost 2 Elder
i found a glitch
« Reply #23 on: September 08, 2005, 03:17:58 PM »
Well Admiral, I still think some (if not many) things has been lost.

I remember Magic Assasin had quite a few tricks he knew of, some of them are mentioned here, but I'm pretty sure he had some more.

Offline Admiral S3

i found a glitch
« Reply #24 on: September 08, 2005, 11:40:03 PM »
I'm only getting started, but sufficed to say your right. Unfortunatly with so many of the older gamers gone and long ago forgotten, there will enevitably be something forgotten for ever, or at least forgotten until found again.

Or in the case of myself, and a few others, remembered.