Author Topic: Intel vs AMD / Living in USA?  (Read 14959 times)

Offline Oprime

• http://Moogleforest.net
Intel vs AMD / Living in USA?
« Reply #50 on: June 18, 2004, 10:04:54 AM »
I have yet to see such deterioration.

That's right. The friend that I mentioned earlier that owns a computer repair store sells 7 year old AMD K6 pulls and they work fine.

As far as I can tell it seems that all is settled. We have discussed many topics and many different processors. Intel is good for (I'll admit it) 3d Rendering and basic stuff <--> AMD is good for games and many other things that require raw power. Does anybody think there is more to be discussed?
CPU: AMD Phenom II 940BE
RAM: Patriot Viper 4GB (2GB x2) DDR2 1066Mhz
Motherboard: MSI K9A2 Platinum
Case: Thermaltake Armor Plus+
Power Supply: Themermatake ToughPower 1200Watt PSU
Hard Drive: Fujitsu 15k SAS SCSI 74GB/148GB Raid 0 @ 189MBps
Moniter: LG Flatron 20.1in Widescreen LCD 8ms 1400:1 Contrast ratio w/ F engine
GFX Card: 4 ATI Radeon 4870 1GB GDDR5 CrossFireX
DVD Burners: 2x SONY DVD-RW
Speakers[/b] Logitech Z-5500 505Watt 5.1 Surround
CPU Heatsink[/b]ZeroTerm NV120
OS[/b]Windows Vista Home Premium x64
:P I'm a Hardware freak ><

Offline xamlit

« Reply #51 on: June 21, 2004, 02:35:58 PM »
Sorry Zircon but Pixar is not switching and dose not intend to switch. If you remember the CEO and founder of Pixar is Steve Jobs a.k.a CEO and founder of Apple. Do you really think that Pixar is going to switch? Ever?

Offline Zircon

« Reply #52 on: June 23, 2004, 04:56:12 AM »
1: I haven't said that they have switched, i said they were in the process of switching.

2: First some background information: Renderman is the renderer Pixar uses, it was built by them and has been used since toy story 1 but has had many revisions, it has won a lot of prices and it is considered to be one of the finest renderers there is and to be pixars greatest accomplishment.

Now for the point: While the renderer (RenderMan® Pro Server™ 11.5) itself can be run on a mac, the The RenderMan® Artist Tools™  6.0 made for use with the renderer can't be run on a mac.

3: Just because you are the founder of one thing doesn't mean you cant use someone elses work even your worst enemy. Just look at microsoft and linux...

4: While im sure that the mac will continue to be used for certain aspects in studios like pixar the rest is switching sides. It's a best out of two worlds solution.

In essence, yes i believe so...
« Last Edit: June 23, 2004, 05:02:16 AM by Zircon »

Offline bluesphx

« Reply #53 on: July 21, 2004, 07:24:52 PM »
AMD B)