Author Topic: Population Engine  (Read 11929 times)

Offline Leviathan

Population Engine
« Reply #25 on: June 27, 2004, 08:32:36 AM »
'the commons' which is shared living area in Residence's could b a place where people could pass on knowledge to others so people could be trained here. it could also happen in Forum's

Offline Ezekel

• http://ezekel.deviantart.com
Population Engine
« Reply #26 on: June 27, 2004, 09:24:22 AM »
There should be a counter of the women (cuz women rarely work as a technician)
say what?

remember 1st of all this isn't earth, people do what they can.

2ndly, women only rarely work as technicians on earth because the western world is still got one foot half in victorian ideas.
edit: i guess i should elaborate on this. basically, only recently are women really taking on roles that before were man only... i guess i'm still not explaining it good, but well, theres nothing to stop a woman being a technician, and ppl are only really just starting to realise that.[size]

besides the really important point is that this is in the end a game, and has to be coded... i think that the novelty of differentiating gender in op3 will be not worth the extra coding it will require
« Last Edit: June 27, 2004, 09:27:04 AM by Ezekel »
My mind is quicker then your eyes!

Never fight what you cannot see!!!

----------------------------------------------

The sleeper has awakened... and boy what a hangover!

Offline knux

Population Engine
« Reply #27 on: June 29, 2004, 03:33:47 AM »
There should be a counter of the women (cuz women rarely work as a technician)
say what?

remember 1st of all this isn't earth, people do what they can.

2ndly, women only rarely work as technicians on earth because the western world is still got one foot half in victorian ideas.
edit: i guess i should elaborate on this. basically, only recently are women really taking on roles that before were man only... i guess i'm still not explaining it good, but well, theres nothing to stop a woman being a technician, and ppl are only really just starting to realise that.[size]

besides the really important point is that this is in the end a game, and has to be coded... i think that the novelty of differentiating gender in op3 will be not worth the extra coding it will require
Actually, why there is a lack of equal representation in engineering when it comes to women is not a cultural issue at all.
At my uni, girls who enter engineering get a $1000 sweetener.

But the real reason you don't see many girl technicial is simple, girls just don't like gadgets. You may get a couple now and again, but the majority aren't interested in technology.

For the record, aside from the story, every colonist in op3 will be faceless. No male or female distinction. Just a number of colonists. I don't see the point of having a man and woman counter.

Offline ZeusBD

Population Engine
« Reply #28 on: July 01, 2004, 04:53:48 AM »
I agree with you, would be more trouble than it's worth.
In the dark I'm at home, in the light I'm on the battlefield. A Dragon's life is a constant struggle for survival. But in the end, we will prevail.
Go check out my site: http://www.frankandami.com
E-mail me: ZeusBD at yahoo.com

Offline Betaray

• Administrator
Population Engine
« Reply #29 on: August 01, 2004, 02:20:50 PM »
what about somthing simmiler to the op1 system? it has what ezekel talkd about, it isnt nessacery to train workers but it helps alot, plus it has more classes than just child, worker, scientist, it has things like retired and such

I doubt that pop engine was very diffucult because it was put onto a floppy disk, so it cant be that big

btw I like the fact of the micromanagement of training scientists, but I would like a redundent feature built in that it would automaticly train a scientist or 2 if there numbers drop too low for the structures that need them (like if it only has 1-2 more than are absolultly needed, not counting reshurch) so if a coloney has a cc, a university, and a nursery, the university would make sure that the coloney would have at least 4 scientists

that would remidy the common problem faced in multy where the person forgets to train, and all of a sudden his university dies due to lack of scientists and he cant get more so he is screwd

btw has anyone notised that the cc can still run even without the scientisit that is needed for it?
I am the nincompoop, I eat atomic bombs for breakfest, fusion bombs for lunch, and anti-matter bombs for dinner

I just hope they don't explode

Offline knux

Population Engine
« Reply #30 on: August 17, 2004, 11:29:28 PM »
what about somthing simmiler to the op1 system? it has what ezekel talkd about, it isnt nessacery to train workers but it helps alot, plus it has more classes than just child, worker, scientist, it has things like retired and such

I doubt that pop engine was very diffucult because it was put onto a floppy disk, so it cant be that big

btw I like the fact of the micromanagement of training scientists, but I would like a redundent feature built in that it would automaticly train a scientist or 2 if there numbers drop too low for the structures that need them (like if it only has 1-2 more than are absolultly needed, not counting reshurch) so if a coloney has a cc, a university, and a nursery, the university would make sure that the coloney would have at least 4 scientists

that would remidy the common problem faced in multy where the person forgets to train, and all of a sudden his university dies due to lack of scientists and he cant get more so he is screwd

btw has anyone notised that the cc can still run even without the scientisit that is needed for it?
I haven't seen the op1 system. What was the population engine like?
Sadly I took that game back the same day. Op2 is MUCH better.

Well the code might have been small enough to fit on a floppy disk, but how many paragraphs of text can you fit in 1.38MB, text file? Quite a lot.

I might even drop scientist dying from structures, even scientist use altogether and just have them for research.  

Offline Ezekel

• http://ezekel.deviantart.com
Population Engine
« Reply #31 on: August 18, 2004, 01:26:33 PM »
well the CC disables in that situation. but like a disabled refinery, it kinda gets frozen where it is in turns of carrying out its role

a disabled refinery can still store metal for example.

and knux, if possible try not  to phase out the need for scientists to run the special structures completely.

maybe make it change a little (maybe remove it from the DIRT), but structures like spaceports and universities and observatories definetly need a scientist or 2 to run them (well 2 in all the mentioned examples ;) )

course, its your game, so do whatever is more managable for you.
My mind is quicker then your eyes!

Never fight what you cannot see!!!

----------------------------------------------

The sleeper has awakened... and boy what a hangover!

Offline Tellaris

Population Engine
« Reply #32 on: August 19, 2004, 04:56:29 AM »
The game was originally planed to be a colony builder.   The combat part was opted in later in development...   Probobly ment to be a "helper" after the failure of OP1...   Morale steady takes away from the main focus of the game, most people seem to like only the combat part.   Personally, I like the colony builder part of the game (one reason why I want to host, and hate pie) as well as the combat part.   Makes for a fun mix IMO.   IMO, those that only play for the combat should go get C&C...

I think a mixture of option one and the original way.
The original way allows a more precise control of your scientist amounts, however, the first option also allows you to have an amount auto made, so you can shift your focus to other, more pressing matters.   Just my thoughts...
Spell Checker!   The PoWeR tOoL
Click Here For Coolness
Self Proclaimed OPU Help desk.

Offline Leviathan

Population Engine
« Reply #33 on: August 19, 2004, 09:07:42 AM »
I enjoy both types of game of Outpost 2, using morale and not using it. A normal combat game u dont have 2 worry about morale because the main focus of the game is combat.

personaly i think if you are playing a spacerace or a build & trade game u should have to deal with morale as u do not have to worry about combat.

a more realistic and full game of outpost 2 u should use morale but with out the morale steady option on multiplayer you could not have pure combat games.

Offline PlayingOutpost0-24

• http://op3np.xfir.net
Population Engine
« Reply #34 on: August 19, 2004, 02:15:29 PM »
Yeah, glad to have that option, cuz the "Morale is terrible" message can be very annoying in middle of a combat.
Great news for OP2 fans... OP3 in progress.
Official Site
Outpost 3: A New Power progress
OP3:NP Discussion

Progress in OP3:NP[/size][/font]
PLANNING[|||||||||-]
GRAPHICS [||||------]
SOUNDS [|---------]
MAP DESIGNING [|||||-----]
CODING [----------]
Going slowly... Very slow.