Author Topic: The reason for 5 of the cheats you see in...  (Read 11966 times)

Offline CK9

• Administrator
    • http://www.outpost2.net/~ck9
The reason for 5 of the cheats you see in...
« Reply #25 on: April 02, 2004, 11:13:32 AM »
I like turning off the chat, that way I don't have to talk to people if I'm not in the mood to.
CK9 in outpost
Iamck in runescape (yes, I still play...sometimes...)
srentiln in minecraft (I like legos, and I like computer games...it was only a matter of time...) and youtube...
xdarkinsidex on deviantart

yup, I have too many screen names

Offline BlackBox

• Administrator
« Reply #26 on: April 02, 2004, 02:22:31 PM »
Okay, let me stress this to you:

One, I am overloaded with work on OP2sock... That will be in a future upgrade of OP2sock though.

You do not have to edit the code, in fact the code is mangled so it would be extremely hard to find the cheats. But there is no need for that.

A program that calls GetKeyState() in a loop can determine typed keys, and for example, if "Dan's" is typed you can TerminateProcess() Outpost2 (ie. force OP2 to exit)

But I'm not going into this now.

Offline ZeusBD

« Reply #27 on: April 02, 2004, 02:57:49 PM »
I was just wondering if it were possible and if in the future it could be done to completely eliminate cheating, without having to stop the game if used.
In the dark I'm at home, in the light I'm on the battlefield. A Dragon's life is a constant struggle for survival. But in the end, we will prevail.
Go check out my site: http://www.frankandami.com
E-mail me: ZeusBD at yahoo.com

Offline Arklon

• Administrator
« Reply #28 on: April 02, 2004, 04:17:32 PM »
Those hex addresses are NOT the "Dan's" cheats. (The "Dan's" cheats make you send a message saying "Woof! Woof!".) There are only four of those cheats. And hopefully, that last cheat will stay a mystery.

The "cheats" shown here are what I discovered to be debug options. Even though they cause multiplayer games to get out of sync/crash, I'm still not giving the memory addresses, because they can do evil things.

Offline ZeusBD

« Reply #29 on: April 02, 2004, 04:20:53 PM »
Hey, how did you get Dan's e-mail address?
In the dark I'm at home, in the light I'm on the battlefield. A Dragon's life is a constant struggle for survival. But in the end, we will prevail.
Go check out my site: http://www.frankandami.com
E-mail me: ZeusBD at yahoo.com

Offline CK9

• Administrator
    • http://www.outpost2.net/~ck9
« Reply #30 on: April 02, 2004, 04:41:28 PM »
I don't know Luweeg, you have had some unexplained ore boosts...
CK9 in outpost
Iamck in runescape (yes, I still play...sometimes...)
srentiln in minecraft (I like legos, and I like computer games...it was only a matter of time...) and youtube...
xdarkinsidex on deviantart

yup, I have too many screen names

Offline Arklon

• Administrator
« Reply #31 on: April 03, 2004, 12:42:38 PM »
From Dan's site?

I don't think Dan wants 2389795 people bothering him, so I'm not giving it. Go find it yourself. :P

Offline xamlit

« Reply #32 on: May 26, 2004, 01:15:43 PM »
you guys know that it isnt  hard to hide cheating, you just tell the game not to send mesages to anyone and type it in
Classic... Very intuitive Zeritou.

Offline BlackBox

• Administrator
« Reply #33 on: May 26, 2004, 05:30:16 PM »
But you can kind of tell when some one is cheating... like if they're using the ore cheat and no trucks are going to the mines...

Offline Arklon

• Administrator
« Reply #34 on: May 27, 2004, 07:37:28 AM »
You can only notice Dan's bike in combat. Dan's car can't be detected at all.

Offline zeritou

« Reply #35 on: May 27, 2004, 09:11:58 AM »
but you can tell your trucks to set the route to cover up dan's dog
dan's bike cna be covered by not researching the rate of fire improvements
how to insult a klingon:

qatlh Quch Hab ghaj no'ra'
vaj HabHa''a' je 'uSDu'lIj joj

wich translates roughly to:

how come you guys never had those for head bumps in the first staktrek series and do you guys have bumps like that on your genitals too?

Offline Arklon

• Administrator
« Reply #36 on: May 27, 2004, 09:19:21 AM »
Dan's bike can be done multiple times.

Offline BlackBox

• Administrator
« Reply #37 on: May 27, 2004, 02:50:56 PM »
The most foolproof way to detect a cheat would be to get them to run an anticheat program, that detects what is placed into the input buffer.

(Since they could cheat a keyhook by copying directly to the buffer and forcing an update instead of firing WM_CHAR messages.)

Offline Hooman

• Administrator
« Reply #38 on: May 30, 2004, 01:17:03 AM »
Well, I I think I sound like a pessimist here but there really is no foolproof way of stopping cheating. Besides, downloading and installing anticheating software is a bit of a nuisance. Plus, the existence of such software could potentially make it easier for a hacker to find out what the cheats are.

Well I guess some anti cheating software can make it harder to cheat. I just hope it doesn't end up like some games that just get anti-anti-cheating-software cheats.  :huh:  The last thing we need is a cheating arms race.

Anyways, is cheating really a problem in this game. It never struck me that it was.

Offline Sirbomber

« Reply #39 on: May 30, 2004, 05:58:20 AM »
"Dan's bike" is really only a problem earlier on because it gives the player's combat units incredible attack speed, but, has anybody noticed that things like Heat Dissipation Systems no longer take effect after using it? "Dan's car" needs to be put in about 500 times to be useful, and "Dan's dog" isn't useful if somebody's REALLY cheating with it (not build a rare ore mine, etc.) becuase the cheating player will probably only build a Rare Storage and only get 5,000 units of Rare Ore whenever he uses the cheat.

So, why cheat when they're all useless? And I doubt anybody here uses cheats in multiplayer. So, we don't need anticheating software or to reprogram the game or whatever, because none of the cheats are worth using.
"As usual, colonist opinion is split between those who think the plague is a good idea, and those who are dying from it." - Outpost Evening Star

Outpost 2 Coding 101 Tutorials

Offline zeritou

« Reply #40 on: May 31, 2004, 11:25:06 AM »
when and IF i cheat i always ask first,

exept on one of my newb, friends it keeps me up on the "god pedistal" to him, ya know, the whole power trip.  then i talk to lev and go back to just a mere mortal
how to insult a klingon:

how come you guys never had those for head bumps in the first staktrek series and do you guys have bumps like that on your genitals too?

xfir

« Reply #41 on: May 31, 2004, 11:45:01 AM »
We could always say that cheating is best left to single player games.

I think it does take away from the multiplaye experience if someone is basically cheating their way all the way through.

(Note: Arklon says he is having problems with the forums and submit. Please alert me to whether this is happening to you or not. Post a thread in the Suggestions forum)
« Last Edit: May 31, 2004, 11:50:27 AM by xfir »

Offline BlackBox

• Administrator
« Reply #42 on: May 31, 2004, 05:37:15 PM »
I think using cheating in any way spoils the fun, single or multi modes. It makes the game boring to play, since you don't have to work at it to get good at it. It makes it too easy.

Offline OP2Patriot

« Reply #43 on: June 03, 2004, 08:45:42 PM »
It is fun to find new ways to cheat ... to a point. I have not really made much progress because finding new ways to cheat is not as exciting as it used to be.

The Forbidden Outpost 2 Forum ... they don't want you to know about it.
Yell if the above link disappears.

Offline Hooman

• Administrator
« Reply #44 on: June 04, 2004, 06:16:45 PM »
Hmm, I find cheating can spoil the fun. I find it also makes you suck at the game since it's no longer as challenging so you don't get as good.

On the other hand, when you've played a game to death it can sometime be fun to "chagne the rules". I'm talking minor tweaks here, not like death buttons.  :heh: It's best if the game is still balanced. I remember having a lot of fun with Red Alert. Helicopters dropping torpedoes into the water to kill subs and boats.  (thumbsup) Granted, there can be some fun in things like death buttons, (or Vulcan Cannons on jeeps, V2 rockets on infantry, Nukes in the Cruiser shells, Para-nukes, etc.) but that sort of things can get boring fairly fast.

So yeah, no cheating in multiplayer games, and beware that cheating/changing the rules in any game type makes the game get boring a lot faster (if you aren't already bored with it). And for those misguided people, "changing the rules" without telling the other person is cheating!

Offline OriginalOP2

« Reply #45 on: June 05, 2004, 07:19:32 AM »
About the cheats:
They're no secret, i can find them on websites that archive cheats.

Oh, and as long as someone uses them silenty (disabling chat b4 entering the cheat so others dont see you say Woof! Woof!) and is not obvious about it, you cant tell someone is using them.

Most of the cheats start with the word Dan.

I used them once against a friend (a real friend that i went to school with) and laughed my ass off.

But that was the very 1st last time.

Im very oppossed to multiplayer cheating, more so since ive been playing Counter-Strike the last couple months, and thats one FPS thats full of cheaters.
They even have servers specificly for cheaters to show off there cheating abilities!!!!

Anyway back to the main topic, the cheats are no secret, i found them on several game cheat websites, those cheats are what ruined op2 in the 1st place (by the time WON went down there were hardly any players), do not blame the cheaters tho, blame the op2 programmers for including multiplayer cheats in the retail game, and the web sites that posted them.

You all dont know me, i played op2 from 1997 (pre-realease-post release-retail game) to 2001. I am an original diehard ship school, hacking into the internet via dialup jus to play op2 all night op2 Guru.
Favorite colony? Plymouth. Y? cuz if i used playmouth i could not lose a game :)

Ive been waiting very VERY!! paitently for 2 years for anything useful to come from knux and the new OP2-3 programmers i see here now.
I will continue to check back every 2 - 4 months to keep track of progress. See you all later!!!
« Last Edit: June 05, 2004, 07:21:15 AM by OriginalOP2 »

Offline zeritou

« Reply #46 on: June 05, 2004, 08:21:35 AM »
there are only 3 cheats on the internet that work,
disabling the chat doesnt compleatly cover it up,
they ALL begin with dan, he was the programmer that put them in there DUH,
if your so apposed to multiplayer cheeting, get better so you can beat  the cheeters,
and its not the programmers fault that some people have insecure personalities so SHUT YOUR PIE HOLE

sorry if i offended anyone other than the target: OriginalOP2

edit: my "p" key doesnt work well
« Last Edit: June 05, 2004, 08:22:57 AM by zeritou »
how to insult a klingon:

Offline cspeye

« Reply #47 on: June 20, 2004, 08:36:19 PM »
the cheats seem to be a lot bigger problem with my friends - almost all (all, actually) stopped playing because of both the hosting problem (to be solved by op2sock, i believe) and the cheating problem. unlike this community, they all know all the cheats, and a lot of them like to start using them just when they're about to be killed, and all the fun disappears...

so maybe if op2sock is done and your all not busy anymore, i'd think that you could try making some sort of "anti-cheat" version of the game. maybe it could actually work with the op2sock protocol and kinda filter out the cheats, so that you could host cheat-free multiplayer games (maybe there could be an extra option in "create game" or something if you could do that.

Offline RedXIII

• http://www.battletechmodproductions.com
« Reply #48 on: June 20, 2004, 10:26:33 PM »
Yeah, there is no point censoring. I just figured out three out of five by just doing a quick google search. Dans Dog is almost on every cheat website.
-Nanaki 'RedXIII' Leroux

A pouncing cat stalks the hunting cat roar the two enraged in a death's embrace the coiled serpent crushes both. A pouncing cat stalks the hunting cat with care, the pouncing cat watches the coiled serpent crushes the hunting cat, a new star is born.
- T

Offline Leviathan

« Reply #49 on: June 21, 2004, 05:27:22 AM »
a anti-cheat program would be very usefull because we could make sure that no 1 was cheating.

cspeye I hope u and ur friends come to our comunity once again.

im working on a anti cheat app -
www.outpostuniverse.net/projects.htm