Poll

What do you think of this story line for OP3?

Go ahead and use it the way it is now
15 (55.6%)
Use it after adding more to it (if so what should I add?)
10 (37%)
Use after changing the whole thing around
2 (7.4%)
Shred that thing and try again
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 25

Author Topic: The story line for OP3: The Great War  (Read 9750 times)

Offline Luweeg64

• http://gcuco.netfirms.com
The story line for OP3: The Great War
« Reply #25 on: February 20, 2004, 07:19:50 AM »
i guess sooo but why?

Offline plymoth45

« Reply #26 on: February 20, 2004, 09:23:26 AM »
Now y does it figure that I would post that? And btw, no u in my name lol.

Offline Luweeg64

• http://gcuco.netfirms.com
« Reply #27 on: February 23, 2004, 07:19:30 AM »
maybe cuz your post was only 2 words long..............other than that i don't know

Offline plymoth45

« Reply #28 on: February 23, 2004, 08:36:00 AM »
oh wait, it figures i would post that cause of my name, (duh).

Offline gpgarrettboast

• Administrator
« Reply #29 on: February 23, 2004, 01:43:30 PM »
oh wait, it figures i would post that cause of my name, (duh).
Um, I'm not an it. :P

Offline plymoth45

« Reply #30 on: February 23, 2004, 02:10:50 PM »
sry, but u know wht i meant

Offline gpgarrettboast

• Administrator
« Reply #31 on: February 24, 2004, 07:03:04 AM »
lol. :)
I'm trying to write a novella, but I need names...

Plymouth:
Commander of Plymouth Colony
Security officer

and alot more...

Offline plymoth45

« Reply #32 on: February 24, 2004, 09:21:02 AM »
if you mean me, no u in Plymoth

Offline Kiith Somtaaw

« Reply #33 on: February 24, 2004, 01:25:52 PM »
I'm not sure why your name is spelt "Plymoth" because the correct way to spell it is "Plymouth", but it's your name you can spell it the way you want.

Offline plymoth45

« Reply #34 on: February 24, 2004, 05:57:28 PM »
That is how i chose to spell my name, op2 or any of the cities names Plymouth had little if any influence on my choice of screen names.

Offline ZeusBD

« Reply #35 on: March 11, 2004, 02:23:41 PM »
Back to the original topic, I think that the story line is good. It left me wanting more, so that's what I voted. You need to describe what plmouth is doing to hold back the blight, why Eden think's heading to the glacier territories will help, and mention how I, Zeus, killed them all with one lightning bolt...er maybe not that last part, but the rest of it.
In the dark I'm at home, in the light I'm on the battlefield. A Dragon's life is a constant struggle for survival. But in the end, we will prevail.
Go check out my site: http://www.frankandami.com
E-mail me: ZeusBD at yahoo.com

Offline thegrinner

« Reply #36 on: July 13, 2004, 08:59:52 PM »
It's good but it could use more background info on gemini
"The only thing we have learned from history, is that we have not learned from history."
Actually, i think we learned 1 other thing: Explosions are COOL!!!

Offline gpgarrettboast

• Administrator
« Reply #37 on: July 16, 2004, 08:56:40 PM »
I reposted some of gemini's info.

Offline Nightmare24148

« Reply #38 on: August 04, 2004, 09:07:08 PM »
Its odd about Mcirobes mission because they say they will al;ways watch over Plymouth and Eden since they birthed them their whole exsistence in the Op2 novella...

^_^
« Last Edit: August 04, 2004, 09:08:29 PM by Nightmare24148 »
I look to see, in the mirror.

All I see, is that he is me.

Offline Jgamer

« Reply #39 on: August 07, 2004, 01:08:10 PM »
I pretty much agree with the last post, the savants themselves had always placed humans in high regards, in their emotions i mean, as they had them. What whould cause them to try to overrun all the universe?
From what i cought out of the game the savants believed that New Terra was a present to them, like a heaven you go when you die.

Offline BradenS

« Reply #40 on: February 05, 2005, 02:13:53 AM »
I have a story that follows the line of outpost prefectly, yet still leads to the four colonies featured in the sequal, Eden, Plymouth, Microbe, and Gemini, if you guys care to here it.

Offline BradenS

« Reply #41 on: February 06, 2005, 03:17:25 AM »
Shuvon Series Computer Activated:
Historical overview:
The earth is dead, as the first asteroids collided with the planet, the remaining humans departed in their hastily built star ship in search of a new world to colonize. After decades of searching, a marginally suitable planet was found; they named the planet New Terra, and their colony Eden. However things were far from serene, Some Eden members desired to terraform their planet, and after heated negations, a splinter colony named Plymouth was formed. Eden continued onward with its terraforming project, but due to impatience, critical errors were made. The terraforming microbe was released on New Terra before it was ready, and decimated the planet. At the last minute, Eden was able to construct a new star ship, and leave New Terra before they were destroyed, taking the children from Plymouth along with them. Aboard the star ship, in secret meetings among key leaders, the cause of the problem was determined, and corrective measures were taken to insure such an even would never occur again. The ancient Savant line of computers were said to have caused the catastrophe due to their own motives. It was determined that once a new planet had been colonized and firmly established the savant line would be phased out. After nearly ninety years of hopeless searching, not one, but two potential planets were located, both in the same solar system. The closer one to the blue giant star was a desert wasteland with a thick, however mainly nitrogenous atmosphere, while the second was a frigid moon orbiting a gas giant. Leaders were awakened from cold sleep to make the final decision and after much negotiation and computer projection, the decision was made to land on the closer desert planet. The groundwork for the new colony was laid, and the crew was awakened from cold sleep to land on the planet. Once the colony had been established, plans began on the new line of colony computer to replace the ageing savant series. The main goal of the research was to improve upon what were seen as “crucial design flaws” of the savant line. An emphasis was put on preventing the free thought of this new computer, and precautions were made so that the new line was unable to communicate with other computers without the intervention of humans, and communication with the savant line was made completely impossible. Only once fabrication of the new series of computers, dubbed the Shuvon Series, had begun, were the older Savant units made aware of the changes that were made to prevent the computers free thought. A link among the Savant units was made and it was decided that the savant units would have to leave the colony to avoid destruction. A false disaster warning was sounded, and the colonists made for the emergency shelters. Once all the New Edenites were contained, the savants took control of the colony and sealed the emergency facilities from the outside. They began fabrication of new facilities custom tailored for the savants needs at the structure factory, and four construction vehicles were loaded with the new buildings. A scaled down and heavily modified repair vehicle was constructed and was instructed to roam the colony and collect the savant units positioned around the colony. Once all the savant units and convecs were secured, they departed over the horizon, to prosper on their own without fear of destruction. Just at the fringes of radio contact with the new Eden colony was the signal to release the colonists sent to the Shuvon series computer in the command center. It took the colonist’s mere minutes to realise that they were without their savant units; however it took days to piece together what actually took place, as all construction logs, computer memories and ore allocation tables had been wiped clean by the renegade computers. It was believed by the leaders that the savant’s actions had been influenced by signals sent from the blight infested New Terra. The new savant colony was dubbed Microbe by the Edenites, and it was determined that this colony must be destroyed, as there was the risk they may attempt to release the blight upon the new world. However this was the least of the problems faced by Eden, as many of the former children of Plymouth, now adult and teenage believed that it had been the wrong decision to land on this barren world, when the frigid planet further from the sun was better able to support the needs of humanity. When key leaders refused to listen to the plans of the former Plymouth children, a splinter colony was formed; they named themselves Plymouth, in homage to their ancestors, they believed to be dead and set out with the goal of creating a star port and using the star ship in orbit to travel to the icy world. When word of these plans reached Eden, they were furious at the prospect of handing the star ship over to Plymouth. Plymouth attempted to gain control of the star ship electronically, however with limited knowledge of the ships systems a critical error was made, the star ships orbit decayed, and it crashed to the ground. Plymouth blamed Eden for the mishap, and declared war upon them. Back at Eden, a group of scientists presented the leaders of Eden with a proposal to terraform their new home world, believing that they had corrected the problems that had raved their old world. Eden leaders however, believer the risk was too great and denied the scientists repeated requests. The scientists began to rally support for their cause among the colonists, and soon had a large minority of the Edenites on their side. When the leaders still refused to listen to their demands, they separated from the colony; they named them selves Gemini and began anew with the solitary mission to turn the sun baked wasteland that was their new home into a utopia much like the earth they had left behind centuries ago. Four distinct colonies with four distinct goals. You choose which to control, but with tensions mounting between the colonies, keep in mind commander, extinction is not an option.

Offline Rags

« Reply #42 on: October 26, 2006, 08:14:20 AM »
this story is a bit better but only becauase it has more details. ( no one has posted a reply to this since 2005??????)

Offline dm-horus

• Banned
« Reply #43 on: November 22, 2006, 02:49:38 PM »
I dont think the Blight should name itself. The impression I got from the novella was that the blight infected hardware was acting on a purely reactionary basis. Even if a portion of the Savant intelligence survived infection, it would basically be lobotomized. OP3 should reflect that. It doesnt know what it is or why, but it knows that it is different and it is hostile, like an injured animal. Intelligent communication is impossible as it is reacting with only is most basic programming. The intellect of the savants is likely lost with their biological components, but their multitasking and colony management facilities would still be intact, meaning it would be producing vehicles at a constant rate and sending them on patrol. When an unidentified unit is spotted, it is seen as hostile and the rest of the vehicles attack. It wouldnt necessarily be a coordinated effort with a deeper reason behind it since the savant would be incapable.

Offline avcr4678

« Reply #44 on: November 25, 2006, 10:44:54 AM »
Had me mesmerized. I find it good. More players increases the webbing of the story. No more 1 on 1 fight anymore. A new common enemy with a brain sorta speak. Very cool  :ph34r: