Poll

What kind of ending would be best for an outpost game

escape by star ship to another planet (or earth if you prefer)  :op2:
7 (26.9%)
destroy blight or blight mutates for better (same results)
9 (34.6%)
die (fail)  :'(
3 (11.5%)
Other (explain)
4 (15.4%)
Don't give a hoot
3 (11.5%)

Total Members Voted: 25

Author Topic: Endings  (Read 17391 times)

Offline Hooman

• Administrator
Endings
« Reply #25 on: March 19, 2010, 12:26:04 AM »
I'll agree that no story is better than a bad story. I often just want to play and don't want to be bothered by having to read a story. Although, it is nice to know a good story is behind something for when I do want to read it. But still, it's optional if the game is fun.

Offline evecolonycamander

Endings
« Reply #26 on: March 19, 2010, 05:18:05 AM »
i was saying things the way i did so to get a laugh from you guy not to insult any one from now on ill just put joke in the post ok? oh thanks hooman
« Last Edit: March 19, 2010, 05:18:43 AM by evecolonycamander »
''The blight cant get us up here!''
-famous last words
--------------o0o--------------
Outpost 2: EoM project status: Re-planning

Offline Moley

Endings
« Reply #27 on: March 19, 2010, 10:00:53 AM »
Looking through this...

None of you are interested in quantum physics...

a wormhole is possible... it would be small... but it could be expanded...

it has been predicted that on average one wormhole is created and one is destroyed every picosecond!

and to expand the wormhole we would need to find/build a material with a negative gravity quotient...

put one side in a probe... shoot it out to space... expand it after 50~100 years... and Boom you have a working wormhole!

now if you could use it... is the big question...

EDIT: if someone notices a number or fact that is inaccurate... i will double check this... later...
« Last Edit: March 19, 2010, 10:01:34 AM by Moley »
I HATE SPELLING!!!!!!
if i spell something or screw up grammer,
ignore it or tell me if you dont understand what i typed.

Endings
« Reply #28 on: March 19, 2010, 10:52:19 AM »
FINALY some one loks up the info, my tech will require a lot of rare ore( gold is the item they ar going to use to expand it(do the reserch))
-famous last words

Offline Hidiot

Endings
« Reply #29 on: March 19, 2010, 12:28:20 PM »
But that does not explain how the other end of the wormhole is determined and whether it can be localized at all, with current or even near-future technology.

Anyway, the whole story of outpost doesn't last that long, considering that it takes a moderately short time for the blight to consume the planet, forcing New Terran humanity to take to the stars again. Also considering that research into the blight started not very long after the initial colonies were settled.
Too much time spent searching can be a problem.

Also, how would anyone alive on Earth or nearby space know where the Conestoga went? We know from the story that it chose a location out of desperation, after traveling through a few other systems
"Nothing from nowhere, I'm no one at all"

Endings
« Reply #30 on: March 19, 2010, 03:03:28 PM »
OK look if you what to argue the worm holes just do me one favor: argue them Here
As a mater of a fact any tek tree arguments should be argued in the link above.
-famous last words

Offline Hidiot

Endings
« Reply #31 on: March 19, 2010, 03:09:59 PM »
Except this is NOT a tech tree discussion, it's story-related.

In OP2, the researches themselves tell a little story of how technology is progressing.

Endings
« Reply #32 on: March 24, 2010, 11:24:39 AM »
i know that why do you think i gave that link above..... or was that directed at some one else?
-famous last words

Offline Hidiot

Endings
« Reply #33 on: March 26, 2010, 02:55:41 PM »
Going back to the topic (at least I hope it is... all these topics that seem to be so tied together by the author's descriptions confuse me), I am still waiting for an explanation as to how anyone trying to follow the Conestoga would know they went to the planet dubbed as New Terra. The Outpost 2 intro says that they searched several systems before deciding to land here when their resources were low. Decisions where to start searching were made on-board the Conestoga, as Outpost 1 would lead me to believe, and thinking they are the last survivors, would they even bother sending their decision back to Earth? The ship/ ship's savants doing that automatically would probably be a good theory.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2010, 02:52:24 PM by Freeza-CII »

Offline Sirbomber

Endings
« Reply #34 on: March 26, 2010, 03:25:45 PM »
I am still waiting for an explanation as to how anyone trying to follow the Conestoga would know they went to the planet dubbed as New Terra. The Outpost 2 intro says that they searched several systems before deciding to land here when their resources were low. Decisions where to start searching were made on-board the Conestoga, as Outpost 1 would lead me to believe, and thinking they are the last survivors, would they even bother sending their decision back to Earth? The ship/ ship's savants doing that automatically would probably be a good theory.
Well, eve issued a challenge to "write a better backstory" here and I answered the call.  You should post something.  I'd like to see what kind of story you have to offer.
"As usual, colonist opinion is split between those who think the plague is a good idea, and those who are dying from it." - Outpost Evening Star

Outpost 2 Coding 101 Tutorials

Offline vennom

Endings
« Reply #35 on: March 27, 2010, 04:03:26 PM »
the best ending is death!

Offline Sirbomber

Endings
« Reply #36 on: March 27, 2010, 04:18:25 PM »
But death will not be U[size=0] [/size]R DE[size=0] [/size]TH MO[size=0] [/size]RTL.
"As usual, colonist opinion is split between those who think the plague is a good idea, and those who are dying from it." - Outpost Evening Star

Offline vennom

Endings
« Reply #37 on: March 27, 2010, 05:20:43 PM »
i have the sensation my post got edited o.o maybe just impression...

Offline Sirbomber

Endings
« Reply #38 on: March 27, 2010, 09:11:57 PM »
It doesn't have an "edited by" tag, so probably not.

Offline Hooman

• Administrator
Endings
« Reply #39 on: March 27, 2010, 10:03:57 PM »
I am still waiting for an explanation as to how anyone trying to follow the Conestoga would know they went to the planet dubbed as New Terra.

Because the decision of where to go was made by a computer, which is (almost always) deterministic. The computers only woke the colonists up to ask if it was good enough. I somehow doubt randomness would be invovled in the planet selection algorithm.

Although, as the universe is not static, the inputs to the computer would change, hence allowing for the possibility of divergence in the path taken by two identical starships launched at different times. However, considering the scale of the universe, I doubt thing would have changed much during the elapsed time, so the result would quite possibly still end up being the same. That is, if you're comparing two solar systems for closeness, they probably won't change by a significant amount on a universal scale between the time periods of the two starships.

Offline vennom

Endings
« Reply #40 on: March 28, 2010, 11:03:47 AM »
It doesn't have an "edited by" tag, so probably not.
thats why i think its so weird xP!

Endings
« Reply #41 on: April 02, 2010, 01:29:41 PM »
Its not edited unless it has a tag (or some one played with the controls) so deal with it okey, good now nano tek what do you all think of that? as i remember as soon as i reserched it in OP1 population groth conpleately stoped there where NO deaths and NO births give me feed back for this i realy need it for this one.
-famous last words

Offline jcj94

• http://techfusion-279.com
Endings
« Reply #42 on: April 02, 2010, 01:37:41 PM »
I wanna stay on new tera! we were there first you little... *continues talking to self while killing blight*

Endings
« Reply #43 on: April 03, 2010, 02:25:01 PM »
I wanna stay on new tera! we were there first you little... *continues talking to self while killing blight*
We will be on New Terra just not where Eden and Plymouth will see and yes destroying the blight may be fun i mean if the lava doesn't kill you first
-famous last words

Offline lordpalandus

• Banned
Endings
« Reply #44 on: June 20, 2010, 01:55:01 AM »
My answer is Other! I'll explain...

I really enjoyed the ending movies, where you built your spaceship and escaped... but... then what? You crash into a meteor and everyone dies? The children of plymouth/eden (depending on side at the end) rebel and take over the ship? The blight infects some of the spaceship materials without the people knowing about it leads to a SECOND blight? Who knows... and since Sierra is gone, we will proly never know, as no one bought the IP up for this game when Sierra went under.

I would love to play a more sandbox experience ya know... the main portion of the colonists escape, but what about those left behind? What happens if someone found a cure to survive the blight... or were mutated by it... why not play this offspring of the human race?

Or, when playing colony games, I would love to be able to keep on playing... for starship missions, what if you had tons of remaining population? Often times on Hard Eden Colony, I have way more colonists than I need... Why not be able to continue playing... maybe build a ... second starship? Afterall the blight doesn't show its ugly face in Colony missions, so, why not more of a sandbox experience here?

Or, when the game ends, you get something like Outpost 1, where you could choose a planet for colonization and build up a new colony there.. or something.. (requiring a lot of code, and wishful thinking... I know... but a man can dream! In fact, I had a dream once about Outpost 3 and I was playing it... it was nice... until I woke up to reality... and I was said...DAMN YOU SIERRA FOR GOING BANKRUPT!!!!)
Currently working on Cataclysm of Chaos, Remade.
Link to OPU page = http://forum.outpost2.net/index.php/topic,6073.0.html

Endings
« Reply #45 on: April 14, 2011, 03:33:37 PM »
Afterall the blight doesn't show its ugly face in Colony missions, so, why not more of a sandbox experience here?

you sure? play Plymouth starship II Hard to about mark 5000(?)
that is..... if you survive edens massive assaults.

after i made this thread i did however come up with an idea somewhat inspired by the 'chose your own adventure' series. basically, if you research item 'A' instead of 'b' you get a different mission 'x'. or if you lose on mission you still go to the next with different objectives. as of yet i have no idea as to how to do this though..... lol
-famous last words

Offline CK9

• Administrator
    • http://www.outpost2.net/~ck9
Endings
« Reply #46 on: April 18, 2011, 12:31:20 PM »
You could use a similar system as some missions do on normal and hard.  That being they tell you some objectives, and once those are filled you get the 'new mission objective' audio and new ones pop up.  An "if ( 'x' || 'y' )" statement might work for it.
CK9 in outpost
Iamck in runescape (yes, I still play...sometimes...)
srentiln in minecraft (I like legos, and I like computer games...it was only a matter of time...) and youtube...
xdarkinsidex on deviantart

yup, I have too many screen names

Offline Nightmare24148

Endings
« Reply #47 on: March 02, 2012, 10:41:11 PM »
New idea

Bases are established on the old moons Phobos and Deimos

They start work on teleporter technology

Thus is the beginning of Doom!

srsly though - you could make a mini campaign about the people left behind after the starship goes off...first mission is use both bases resources to gather stuff for a hasty evacuation :P
I look to see, in the mirror.

All I see, is that he is me.

Offline Lugia3

Endings
« Reply #48 on: March 02, 2012, 11:07:07 PM »
If I were to make an OP3, I would do it this way.

Eden wins, and launches their starship with Plymouth's children inside. A few decades pass on board the Hope when the descendents of Plymouth rebel against Eden, and launch a seed colony onto a nearby planet. Eden quickly launches another in an attempt to stop them. Both sides develop and using technology from Eden and Plymouth, they lock into a stalemate war for months. Plymouth holds out and constructs a faster ship than Edens Hope. It launches from a massive structure on the surface and escapes. Eden packs up and follows Plymouth's EM footprint.

They land on the same planet, war ensues.

Offline Hidiot

Endings
« Reply #49 on: March 03, 2012, 12:28:56 PM »
That wouldn't exactly make sense for one main reason: Stasis.