Author Topic: Outpost 2 On Iphone  (Read 18588 times)

Offline Arklon

• Administrator
Outpost 2 On Iphone
« Reply #25 on: March 13, 2010, 06:51:45 PM »
So this project seems pretty cool, but I'm a little discouraged that it won't have multiplayer.

Then again, it doesn't really effect my either way.  I don't have an iPhone, so...
Multiplayer iPhone games exist, but only over LAN on wifi or bluetooth that I've seen so far. I don't think it'd be impossible to do multi over the internet, though.

Offline Freeza-CII

• Administrator
Outpost 2 On Iphone
« Reply #26 on: March 13, 2010, 10:58:22 PM »
i am impressed.  But i am always skeptical. you have been spared from my chainsaws teeth.

Offline WooJoo

Outpost 2 On Iphone
« Reply #27 on: March 14, 2010, 07:12:34 PM »
@Arklon

wifi generaly got the option to be an gateway to the internet

+

there are already a few mmo games for the iphone and android systems

Offline ray

Outpost 2 On Iphone
« Reply #28 on: March 15, 2010, 11:29:38 AM »
Been working on figuring out a few things behind the scenes that I will need later on, so there is further progress, just not of the visible variety.

Concerning multiplayer... just because I am not planning multiplayer now does not mean it can not happen later on.  The reason the spec list is as it is in order to give me something to aim for that doesn't seem too far out of reach.  Once thats all done and working then I may move on to add more advanced feature.

Offline CK9

• Administrator
    • http://www.outpost2.net/~ck9
Outpost 2 On Iphone
« Reply #29 on: March 15, 2010, 11:31:51 AM »
such as multi-platform compatability for multiplayer? :P
CK9 in outpost
Iamck in runescape (yes, I still play...sometimes...)
srentiln in minecraft (I like legos, and I like computer games...it was only a matter of time...) and youtube...
xdarkinsidex on deviantart

yup, I have too many screen names

Offline ray

Outpost 2 On Iphone
« Reply #30 on: March 16, 2010, 05:13:02 AM »
We will see about that, maybe eventually against my version ported to other platforms, but definately not against the original version.

Offline ducktape

Outpost 2 On Iphone
« Reply #31 on: March 16, 2010, 05:35:00 AM »
Aren't iPhone apps done in objective C? If so, wouldn't porting be a fairly (comparitively?) easy process? ....relatively speaking of course. Regardless, I like the looks of the project, keep up the good work. :)

Offline BlackBox

• Administrator
Outpost 2 On Iphone
« Reply #32 on: March 21, 2010, 04:31:06 PM »
Looks promising. If time permits (probably not now but maybe in the near future), I would be interested in helping port it to the Android platform (I have an HTC G1 smartphone).

I am pretty sure iPhone apps are written in Objective-C, android development is done in a modified version of Java (the core language elements are the same but the runtime lib is different). I know that android also allows native libraries to be used and loaded (it's linux based so they are just .so that are written in C/C++ and can be loaded from the java application; you can't execute a native binary directly in any way that I know of that's not a console app).

Porting could be an issue here cause there is no real common ground between the two platforms (if iPhone had some kind of native library support you could write a large amount of the game logic in C/C++ and then all the rest involving interaction with the platform would be in the high level language). Of course if other platforms became targets (only ones I can really think of would be palm OS, symbian, and windows mobile; I don't know that there would really be that many users of these platforms) there could be additional porting work involved.

Multiplayer support would be cool. Due to the nature of it running on a mobile device, we would probably need some kind of central server to mediate games (in many cases it might have to relay the data between clients I would imagine). Should this be the case you would be welcome to run such a server here at OPU.

Multiplayer with the original OP2 client would be really cool (though I don't think we know all the details of the network protocol; we know a bit about initiating/joining games and sending messages during a game, not much else I don't think). In addition it would have to play almost exactly the same as the original client so that the game state on both sides would stay in sync.

In any case, keep up the good work, looks pretty cool so far.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2010, 04:32:50 PM by BlackBox »

Offline WooJoo

Outpost 2 On Iphone
« Reply #33 on: March 21, 2010, 07:48:11 PM »
an android port would be realy cool even if it would only be something like a little sim city like simulation would be

if you havnt checked the android options you should check the android sdk
its realy nice and even allows hardware emulation out of the box so you wouldnt need a real phone for testing purpose

Offline Moley

Outpost 2 On Iphone
« Reply #34 on: March 21, 2010, 07:57:29 PM »
and just because others have brought it up again...
i will help port to Zune HD if you want...
I HATE SPELLING!!!!!!
if i spell something or screw up grammer,
ignore it or tell me if you dont understand what i typed.