Author Topic: The Other Colony---eve  (Read 14656 times)

Offline Sirbomber

The Other Colony---eve
« Reply #25 on: March 16, 2010, 04:49:20 PM »
Well, it's better than this...

But that's not saying much.  How did they "watch" Eden and Plymouth, unless by sheer coincidence they ended up in the same star system as New Terra, in which case see the above image and pay particular attention to the plot hole.  Also, the starship used to be the ISS?  That doesn't even make sense.  You can't just "modify" a space station into a craft capable of flight between star systems.  However, it's not unbelievable that the ISS wouldn't be recycled and whatever could be salvaged would be used in the construction of a new starship, assuming it still exists.

Also, why only go "halfway" to Alpha Centauri?  That would leave them rotting in deep space with no hope of survival.  Also, what exactly is a "spontaneous gravity well" and how is one formed?

And why would they build defenses against an "enemy" that was neither proven to be hostile nor likely to come in contact with them?
« Last Edit: March 16, 2010, 04:58:53 PM by Sirbomber »
"As usual, colonist opinion is split between those who think the plague is a good idea, and those who are dying from it." - Outpost Evening Star

Outpost 2 Coding 101 Tutorials

Offline evecolonycamander

The Other Colony---eve
« Reply #26 on: March 16, 2010, 07:27:51 PM »
Ok here it is take a look at the space station as it is. peace of crap right? now ad about 200 years or tech tor that crap hole and give it the ability for interstellar travel and stasis pods. what do you got? A Hodge podge star ship.

to your other question heres another: how far do you have to hit a baseball to get it to the moon?

for your 3erd question read up on black holes

And as for your final qusetion i will ask yet another one: you see your neghbors shooting each other and see no place to hide. do you A.) Duck and hope you don't get shot or B.) grab a gun and take them out yourself
''The blight cant get us up here!''
-famous last words
--------------o0o--------------
Outpost 2: EoM project status: Re-planning

Offline Sirbomber

The Other Colony---eve
« Reply #27 on: March 16, 2010, 08:07:43 PM »
1: No; you have a space station with an engine that will fall apart the minute you start to accelerate.
2: What?
3: If they came anywhere near a black hole they'd be spaghettified, not "thrown off-course".
4: If they're in an "uncharted system" Eden and Plymouth are far away from wherever they are.  They are not a threat.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2010, 08:23:00 PM by Sirbomber »
"As usual, colonist opinion is split between those who think the plague is a good idea, and those who are dying from it." - Outpost Evening Star

The Other Colony---eve
« Reply #28 on: March 16, 2010, 09:57:25 PM »
1) i mean properly done
2) Little over half way gravity and acceleration do the rest
3) not if you pass through the event horizon
4)uncharted to them(missing from database)
5)What was the question again?
-famous last words

Offline Sirbomber

The Other Colony---eve
« Reply #29 on: March 16, 2010, 10:09:11 PM »
You fail physics and astronomy forever.

Note: Five different links there.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2010, 10:15:38 PM by Sirbomber »

Offline Hooman

• Administrator
The Other Colony---eve
« Reply #30 on: March 16, 2010, 11:51:14 PM »
a spontaneous gravity well
Spontaneous? That just sounds silly. Either it's there or it's not. I've never heard of gravity just sort of appearing out of nowhere. At least nowhere outside of movies. But sure, they could go off course due to an unexpected gravitational pull from a body they didn't expect to pass near. A slight change in course over a long trip will certainly put you very far off your destination. However, would a slight course correction place you in another solar system after a similar period of time? I kind of doubt it.

that was until they learn of Eden and Plymouth they decided before making contact they sat and watched
So, the last survivors of earth, by some miracle, ran into the only other survivors of earth, and they didn't make contact. After months of isolation in space, and being the social creatures that we are (yes, even the loners), we would probably be going a bit funny in the head and would stumble head over feet to greet anyone else we ran into. Ever seen how talkative people from highly isolated areas tend to be?

I think if Eden and Plymouth are somehow involved in the storyline, then everyone must somehow come from they same ship they all arrived on, like say another splinter colony. Particularly if they meet up at some non previously agreed upon destination.

At least that's sort of what I would think to really accept any new story.

Sirbomber, not the nicest reply. Although, those links were kind of interesting.

I also think wormholes seem a bit too fictional for the Outpost series. They seem to be more of a theoretical construct, that may work on paper, but not something likely to be encountered, or usable if encountered.

Offline Arklon

• Administrator
The Other Colony---eve
« Reply #31 on: March 17, 2010, 12:05:00 AM »
3) not if you pass through the event horizon
You mean, "unless you can magically pass through the event horizon". Without getting spaghetti-ified. Except you will get spaghetti-ified.

Sirbomber: What have you done?!
« Last Edit: March 17, 2010, 12:07:14 AM by Arklon »

Offline ducktape

The Other Colony---eve
« Reply #32 on: March 17, 2010, 04:35:37 AM »
Ok here it is take a look at the space station as it is. peace of crap right? now ad about 200 years or tech tor that crap hole and give it the ability for interstellar travel and stasis pods. what do you got? A Hodge podge star ship.
You would be better off citing technologies that could have been developed on the ISS rather than launching the ISS into the dark void of space. As the ISS grows, it's going to grow into a small orbital village, not a small orbital starship. Moving it even to Mars would be like trying to move a suburb across the state, houses and all. Obviously, we have airplanes on Earth for this, so the outerspace equivalent is needed. As far as technologies developed via the ISS, perhaps the study of stasis chambers and life support systems in microgravity would be something you could mention

to your other question heres another: how far do you have to hit a baseball to get it to the moon?
Over 320,000 kilometers to the L1 LaGrange point between the Earth and the Moon. That's somewhere in the area of 84% of the way, not 50%. Also, this is a relatively small distance. Halfway between the sun and ANY star would be practically a void of nothingness. The gravitational pull of anything would be so close to zero, they would all die in their stasis chambers before they came into contact with anything. Even if they had enough fuel for half the journey and their momentum carried them along the rest of the way....how would they stop and get to the surface? (safely?)

for your 3erd question read up on black holes
These form from huge amounts of mass coming together to form a singularity...not popping up out of nowhere. Alternative ideas are perhaps a stray asteroid glancing across the spacecraft. Although since the Savant computers from the original Outpost 2 storyline were 1 megahertz away from being sentient, I imagine the onboard computers could correct the course due to this or any other course-altering anomaly.

And as for your final qusetion i will ask yet another one: you see your neghbors shooting each other and see no place to hide. do you A.) Duck and hope you don't get shot or B.) grab a gun and take them out yourself
I've had neighbors who HAVE shot each other...I spent 30 minutes figuring out what the bang was, and then the ambulance showed up. The star, at the very least, would likely be 5 to 10 lightyears away, thus information about New Terra would be 5 to 10 years behind what it really was. A starship would take much longer than this to reach whatever starsystem Eve is in, so even by the time they saw a starship being constructed, they would have likely a few years to prepare any sort of welcoming party they felt was needed.

Offline Highlander

• Outpost 2 Elder
The Other Colony---eve
« Reply #33 on: March 17, 2010, 05:14:42 AM »
Excellent picture there Sirbomber !! Gave me a good laugh

ECC - While your ideas are appreciated, try to keep them within the boundaries of know science ?
There can be Only one. Wipe Them out. All of Them.

Old player still playing. Visit Spark for a game of Outpost 2

Offline Sirbomber

The Other Colony---eve
« Reply #34 on: March 17, 2010, 07:57:54 AM »
Excellent picture there Sirbomber !! Gave me a good laugh
Fenrisul deserves all credit for that Highlander.

And Arklon: I was hoping he would get trapped there for eternity, not you.  :P  
« Last Edit: March 17, 2010, 07:58:53 AM by Sirbomber »

The Other Colony---eve
« Reply #35 on: March 17, 2010, 11:06:02 AM »
And Arklon: I was hoping he would get trapped there for eternity, not you.  :P
By He i don't suppose you mean me, do you?
-famous last words

Offline Sirbomber

The Other Colony---eve
« Reply #36 on: March 17, 2010, 12:22:07 PM »
Indeed I did! ;)  
« Last Edit: March 17, 2010, 12:22:15 PM by Sirbomber »

The Other Colony---eve
« Reply #37 on: March 17, 2010, 02:54:48 PM »
Im starting to think that you dont like the idea of a new outpost game even though your signature line says your doing the same thing as mine
 :unsure:  
-famous last words

Offline Sirbomber

The Other Colony---eve
« Reply #38 on: March 17, 2010, 03:18:53 PM »
I'm starting to think your sense of humor blows.

The Other Colony---eve
« Reply #39 on: March 17, 2010, 03:26:06 PM »
It could be ether that or it couldn't  
-famous last words

The Other Colony---eve
« Reply #40 on: March 18, 2010, 05:08:39 AM »
Whoops, i missed what Jessai posted okey. at least hes got a good argument just add some links that support it and i may just revise it a bit. link do have to be up to date though. ummm...adding more to the story today any ways. I hope.
-famous last words

The Other Colony---eve
« Reply #41 on: March 24, 2010, 12:13:55 PM »
Updated. Argue all you want
-famous last words

Offline Spikerocks101

The Other Colony---eve
« Reply #42 on: March 24, 2010, 02:02:04 PM »
ECC, seriously don't let anything they say get to you, for its your idea, not theirs.
I AM YOUR PET ROCK!!!!!!

Offline Hidiot

The Other Colony---eve
« Reply #43 on: March 24, 2010, 02:09:50 PM »
Translating spkerocks101's last post in a different light:

ECC, don't care about what everyone else thinks about trampling on the realistic foundation of the Outpost series (Hard science, with a few presumptions, but nothing too wild).

Seriously, keep in mind that whatever gets done in this community casts a light into the outside. If that light contains too many serious and ample projects that take a really loose regard to the game's spirit, then people from the outside might get the wrong idea.
"Nothing from nowhere, I'm no one at all"

Offline Spikerocks101

The Other Colony---eve
« Reply #44 on: March 24, 2010, 02:12:00 PM »
Seriously, keep in mind that whatever gets done in this community casts a light into the outside.
Yeah, especially when we are total ass holes to the outsiders >_>
I AM YOUR PET ROCK!!!!!!

Offline Kayedon

The Other Colony---eve
« Reply #45 on: March 24, 2010, 02:46:12 PM »
Seriously, keep in mind that whatever gets done in this community casts a light into the outside.
Yeah, especially when we are total ass holes to the outsiders >_>
Speak for yourself, I bake them cookies.
"Trust me, I'm crazy."

Offline Sirbomber

The Other Colony---eve
« Reply #46 on: March 24, 2010, 02:58:11 PM »
ECC, seriously don't let anything they say get to you, for its your idea, not theirs.
Spike, anybody who starts any project will have to deal with criticism.  This is not something unique to OPU.  Telling him to ignore criticism is bad advice since doing that will just make him and his project unpopular.  This is not just "his" idea.  If he wants people to like his project he must be open to suggestions.  We've told him, "your story doesn't make sense and doesn't really fit OP2's theme".  Now he can choose to listen to us, work with us, and maybe get some people to help him out along the way, or he can do what you're telling him to do (act like a spoiled brat) with the end result being nobody will ever play his campaign.

The Other Colony---eve
« Reply #47 on: March 30, 2010, 11:01:25 PM »
Truthfully Sirbomber is right and when i think of this i think everyone should be in on this. and if not worm hole  how can the tek be edited to include it with out destroying the delicate foundation you see as OP2.
-famous last words

Offline Sirbomber

The Other Colony---eve
« Reply #48 on: March 30, 2010, 11:45:49 PM »
Well, what was the original purpose of those techs?  They basically served a story purpose, so you can just rewrite them into pretty much anything as long as it's scientifically feasible.

The Other Colony---eve
« Reply #49 on: April 03, 2010, 02:31:21 PM »
Oh here's a hint on the relations of eve and any other colony, Eve was founded by the best military geniuses and scientists. thier leader is Fallon who is an Elder

i know its a double post but...
how about this the enemy of Eve is blighted units. i herd that the programmers original intent was to have blighted units attack you but was dropped for some reason (don't remember) it is included in an Eden mission and is in the novellas. so what do you think.
I have started coding today on June 8th 2010
pm me if you want to beta test it. i will use the original tektree for the first upload
« Last Edit: June 08, 2010, 03:55:56 PM by evecolonycamander »
-famous last words