Author Topic: I Want To Learn! Please Teach Me!  (Read 2255 times)

Offline Zardox Xheonov

I Want To Learn! Please Teach Me!
« on: December 10, 2009, 04:06:05 PM »
Since angellus is not on that much, and i was going to be tought by him...
i wannt to learn how to code multiplayer maps for outpost2 with codeblocks; or anytthing that might be better.

things i need to learn:
-how to place buildings/vehicles/objects
-how to set variables; number of ores/food/colonists/other
-how to make it able to go into the game(after coding i must finish it turn it into a dll).
-Be able to make/modify a multiplayer map for 4 or more players

things you need to be aware of:
-have pateince; i don't always get it right away
-explain it so that sombody whom never used a computer can understand
-meet me on IRC on the following times to begin teaching: 5:00pm-7:00pm eastern usa timezone on tuesdays-thursdars and/or 12:00am-4:00pm on fridays and weekend eastern timezone.
-PM me on forums to set a resenable time.

Please help me! if i can learn how to do this i'll be able to put my imagination to the test!
Hit me up on discord, if I am online, you know I'll be gaming.

(Lord Of Pain is no more, I am currently now "Zardox" and have been for awhile on other platforms.)

Offline Mez

« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2009, 05:47:15 AM »
things you need to be aware of:
-have pateince; i don't always get it right away
-explain it so that sombody whom never used a computer can understand

Your not going to get someone to have alot of patience with you, teach you programming skills specific to outpost2 and pitch it to someone with little programming knowledge!

If I wanted to teach you I would expect an understanding of programming in general and an understanding of programming in C/C++.

Judging by the overall quality of your submissions to this forum I think your chances of someone willing to spend time teaching you is pretty much zero.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2009, 05:48:23 AM by Mez »

Offline CK9

• Administrator
    • http://www.outpost2.net/~ck9
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2009, 12:41:31 PM »
I don't know anything about coding maps (always had other people do it for me), but I am fairly decent with making/modifying maps.  I can teach you about the mapper a bit, how to select things, and some general helpful tips...I personally prefer going through PM, that way I have time to think about my wording os it's more understandable (and we don't have to worry about being online at the same time).
CK9 in outpost
Iamck in runescape (yes, I still play...sometimes...)
srentiln in minecraft (I like legos, and I like computer games...it was only a matter of time...) and youtube...
xdarkinsidex on deviantart

yup, I have too many screen names

Offline Hidiot

« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2009, 12:56:35 PM »
When I have the time to spend it on IRC and am writing my own code (to be in a programming mood), I sometimes direct people towards files from the SDK where what they're searching for is, sometimes write small examples, generally giving small bits of help.

However, I can't say I'd be any good when it comes to outright teaching.
"Nothing from nowhere, I'm no one at all"

Offline Zardox Xheonov

« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2009, 01:58:29 PM »
I'd be glad for you to help me, hidiot.
Let's set a schedule or time when we should meet on IRC.
Hit me up on discord, if I am online, you know I'll be gaming.

(Lord Of Pain is no more, I am currently now "Zardox" and have been for awhile on other platforms.)

Offline Spikerocks101

« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2009, 09:06:49 PM »
I have never used the Outpost code thing, but if you want to learn the very basics of programming, I suggest you get Game Maker. It's pretty simple, and easy to understand, and the principle of it applies to all programs. I started form that (even thou I'm still considered a new person).
I AM YOUR PET ROCK!!!!!!

Offline Hooman

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2009, 11:18:49 PM »
I have to admit I got a bit of Mez's sentiment when I first read this thread. I would like to write some more example style code and dump it in the SVN, but I'm a bit hesitant to spend time one on one giving a private lesson on IRC. If you post to the forums I'd be a little more inclined to spend time answering it, as that answer can then benefit other people. Plus, it's a bit quicker to write a reply, in bulk, and then move on to something else, rather than waiting for someone to type something out in real time over IRC. I don't really have the time to give private lessons.

Offline Hidiot

« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2009, 02:31:11 AM »
I only work on anything Outpost when I have plenty of time and not much else to do. Which will, for the future, mostly include summer times.

I, too, have been thinking about how to make some small, educational examples. But I guess that whenever I start thinking about that, I get side-tracked towards my own little project(s), which I still want to finish sometime.
"Nothing from nowhere, I'm no one at all"

Offline Sirbomber

« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2009, 10:31:41 AM »
... if you want to learn the very basics of programming, I suggest you get Game Maker. It's pretty simple, and easy to understand ...
...And is also a complete waste of time.  The C/++ you'll need for the SDK is not all that complicated.

Just take a look at the Hooville example and try modifying it.  That's how I got started.  Ask specific  questions if you need to.  Also, check around the programming forums; somebody may have already asked your question.

Good question example: I want a volcano to erupt in my map, but the lava doesn't appear.  Why not?

Bad question example: How do volcanoes work?

By asking the "good question" you will probably get a clear, concise response and get the info you wanted.  If you ask the "bad question" you'll either not get an answer or you'll get too much info (Hooman will probably launch into a lecture about the technical aspects of volcanoes and how lava spreads and you'll just skip it like everyone else
 :P ).

Lastly, look at the files in the include folder.  Those files list all sorts of useful functions and most of them are pretty well document or self-explanatory.
"As usual, colonist opinion is split between those who think the plague is a good idea, and those who are dying from it." - Outpost Evening Star

Outpost 2 Coding 101 Tutorials

Offline Eddy-B

• http://www.eddy-b.com
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2009, 04:53:32 PM »
I have posted a lot of documentation about OP2 coding on the forum, as well as op2hacker and hooman and a few others.
Have you checked the old forum threads?
Rule #1:  Eddy is always right
Rule #2: If you think he's wrong, see rule #1
--------------------

Outpost : Renegades - Eddy-B.com - Electronics Pit[/siz