Author Topic: Master Introduction Thread  (Read 117924 times)

Offline Hidiot

Master Introduction Thread
« Reply #150 on: July 07, 2009, 02:03:51 AM »
Yes, no mark game removes the full potential of this game. If you're really that good and fast, then you'll do just as fine in a long mark game.

Especially since in low mark games, Eden is at a disadvantage. Such big of a disadvantage that hey can't compensate. In long mark games, however, the balance shifts in favor of Eden, but Plymouth can still use tactics (a lot of tactics) to make use of their own advantages and stand a good chance against them.

Don't worry about being a cheater today. Cheats are removed. You can only be a n00b tactic user, which gets you rapidly hated.
"Nothing from nowhere, I'm no one at all"

Offline Highlander

• Outpost 2 Elder
« Reply #151 on: July 07, 2009, 05:10:54 AM »
Yes, no mark game removes the full potential of this game.

Don't worry about being a cheater today.
I'd actually disagree with you there Hidiot. I'd say a No mark game opens up the full potential of the game. As CK9 so wrongly puts it, it's not about who gets weapons first, it's a lot more than that. You always have to watch what your enemy is doing - can you afford to expand to a second mine or will your opponent take you down because you waste ore on just that ? You can go for stronger units or better techs ? Upgrade of smelters to get more ore or upgrade of units ?
As it were back then, games with no mark could usually go past mark 1000 or higher, because no clear advantage could be decided until then.

With a high mark game you just get everything in the package by the time the mark is up and the games outcome is usually decided by location rather than skill. Get a place with easy to defend bottlenecks and you'll easily ravage anyone caught out in the open.

Sure, Eden stands no chance in a 1 vs 1 situation in a small map vs Plymouth. But, toss in a big distance between players or a few allies and it's by no means impossible to survive as Eden.

I guess Miz is referring to PÅ players virtually being the best players when they were around - so naturally they were accused of cheating when they usually won vs nub's. never caught any of them cheating though, the creators were at least opposed to cheating.

Anyways Miz, you should get on IRC and play a couple of games with us. I'm sure the stuff will come back quite quickly ;)
There can be Only one. Wipe Them out. All of Them.

Old player still playing. Visit Spark for a game of Outpost 2

Offline Mizzion

« Reply #152 on: July 07, 2009, 04:23:37 PM »
As far as I know none of us cheated in real games.  Did we get accused a lot, sure, but I think it was more a player's own arrogance and not believing they could get beaten so easily without cheats.  I agree with you highlander in regards to no marks.  I found them much more strategically orientated then the High Mark counterparts.  It forced a player to learn.

In no mark games it was more about being able to efficiently move into the different phases of the game from start, mid game, and end game effectively and efficiently.  In no mark games in my opinion you needed to understand how to play the game, what research order was best given the current situation, and so forth.  Where as in a high mark game really it didn't come down to anything other then evening the playing field.  It became less about skill the higher the mark was.  I remember a lot of 1000+ mark (no mark) games being played.

Offline CK9

• Administrator
    • http://www.outpost2.net/~ck9
« Reply #153 on: July 07, 2009, 04:32:13 PM »
As CK9 so wrongly puts it, it's not about who gets weapons first, it's a lot more than that.
In my experience, it's always whomever gets the weapons first will wipe the floor with the others on smaller maps.  However, what you say holds true for medium sized maps and up.  Piechart is a boarderline map, as people who think like lev do rush through a building order and get weapons as fast as they can.  Meanwhile, other people will think along the same lines you talk about.

Personally, I think small maps should always be mark games, otherwise it's over too quickly to be any fun.
CK9 in outpost
Iamck in runescape (yes, I still play...sometimes...)
srentiln in minecraft (I like legos, and I like computer games...it was only a matter of time...) and youtube...
xdarkinsidex on deviantart

yup, I have too many screen names

Offline EMP Missle Guy

« Reply #154 on: August 05, 2009, 08:05:00 AM »
I'm EMP Missle Guy.

I live in Michigan, USA (Land O' Really Big Lakes! :lol: )

I know a little about coding, but I suck at it.

I stumbled across this website when I became curious about OP2 tech trees.  Being to lazy to make my own, I figured somebody must've made one thereselves.  I headed to the forums and found a nice looking flow chart to fit my needs.  But on the way out, I realized there was a website load of outpost fanatics like myself.  Yes.  I'm not very observant. Seeing no harm or foul, I began looking at project screens.  I guess lots of progress is being made here!  Keep up the good work!  (thumbsup)  
Morale may be Terrible, but at least I still have my spiders!

Offline Deathscythe1122

« Reply #155 on: December 15, 2009, 01:03:09 AM »
I've been gone a long time.... like almost 4 years. i cant get sick of this game

Out of curiosity... are the ore trainers still available? i take great pleasure in playing the colony games and currently have no interest in multi until all the rust has been rubbed off.

also, is there any better way to communicate with you guys, i noticed the last post was in august

Offline Deathscythe1122

« Reply #156 on: December 15, 2009, 01:06:29 AM »
p.s. i am soooo not windows savy anymore. i've been engaged with my mac for a while now and have been depressingly divorced from my ol' dell  

Offline Highlander

• Outpost 2 Elder
« Reply #157 on: December 15, 2009, 01:44:22 AM »
if you look through more than simply the introduction thread I'm sure you'll find the answers to all your questions.

For OP2 related questions search through the Outpost2 section of the forum.

If you wish to communicate then i suggest you make use of IRC :)
There can be Only one. Wipe Them out. All of Them.

Old player still playing. Visit Spark for a game of Outpost 2

Offline Hooman

• Administrator
« Reply #158 on: December 16, 2009, 12:53:33 AM »
Heh, yes welcome. First new member in a while. The signup has probably been broken since August.  :blush: There's been activity in other sections though.

Btw, you may want to consider using edit if you need to add more to your post before anyone replies.

I vaguely remember an ore trainer somewhere, but I can't remember the details at the moment. There might be something in the programming forum about such a project, or someone else with some info on how to handle that.

Offline Sh0oTeR

« Reply #159 on: February 20, 2010, 08:04:23 AM »
Hey, I'm new here. In the next few days I'll be trying to dl some of the patches and get online. I've never played online before, only the missions. However, I'm a good Starcraft/AoE player, so I should catch on quicker...

I'm having problems with the Eden missions tho... Mission 4?? It's the mission where you have to extract info from labs about the blight. My scouters won't transfer the lab info??? Any ideas?

Offline Spikerocks101

« Reply #160 on: February 20, 2010, 08:48:14 AM »
Welcome. Come on the IRC for a game. As for the scout mission, no clue, never did the campeign.
I AM YOUR PET ROCK!!!!!!

Offline Sirbomber

« Reply #161 on: February 20, 2010, 09:02:23 AM »
Read the briefing.  It tells you to move the Scouts right next to the lab.  Make sure you don't click on the Lab itself.
"As usual, colonist opinion is split between those who think the plague is a good idea, and those who are dying from it." - Outpost Evening Star

Outpost 2 Coding 101 Tutorials

Offline Hidiot

« Reply #162 on: February 20, 2010, 02:22:45 PM »
As Sirbomber says.

The scout needs to stand still for a few seconds on a tile adjacent to the labs (I don't think a corner works, though).

Offline Larrythepoet

« Reply #163 on: March 04, 2010, 07:52:18 PM »
I've actually had problems with the scouts as well. They scan the labs alot faster if you position all four scouts around the lab.  
No.

Offline Mangler XIV

« Reply #164 on: March 17, 2010, 08:13:02 PM »
Hello,

I'm new here but that's only because I didn't know you had a site until now.

My name is Mark, nick is Mangler because I'm an old C++ programmer.
Way old, white beard etc. Live in boondocks.

Been playing OP then OP2 since they came out, I've always considered OP2 to be nearest thing to the perfect sim/game.  It got such a bashing from the game critics of the era; it is nice to see that I'm not the only one who liked it.

Offline Simpsonboy77

« Reply #165 on: March 17, 2010, 09:24:28 PM »
Hello Mangler XIV. If you would like to play against some of us online, hop on our IRC channel. There is a in browser applet on the site, or #outpost2 @ irc.outpost2.net:6667. It might be a bit before someone notices you as we sometimes idle in there.

Enjoy your stay.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2010, 09:24:36 PM by Simpsonboy77 »
My tutorials
Part 1
Part 2
Part 3

Offline Sirbomber

« Reply #166 on: March 17, 2010, 09:26:41 PM »
We have weekly "Friday Bashes" which (supposedly) last all day, though.
"As usual, colonist opinion is split between those who think the plague is a good idea, and those who are dying from it." - Outpost Evening Star

Outpost 2 Coding 101 Tutorials

Offline Simpsonboy77

« Reply #167 on: March 17, 2010, 09:32:22 PM »
Brilliant idea, inform him of the worst time to start online play, the week of DM666z.[/sarcasm]
My tutorials
Part 1
Part 2
Part 3

Offline elwood_s

« Reply #168 on: March 24, 2010, 09:50:12 AM »
Hi all,

Elwood here!   :)

Years ago I bought a copy of Outpost at a used software store and got hooked.  So when Outpost 2 came out I bought it right away and have been playing it on and off ever since.  I most enjoy playing colony games because of their unscripted nature and the ability to start a game, play for a little while, save it, and come back later when I have time and pickup where I left off.  

I was really pleased to find your forum and so many people who still enjoy this great game.  I've already upgraded to the OPU version of the game and tried the additional colony games that come with it, plus the New Colony Games created by angellus.

My hat's off to the all folks who built this place and work to keep it going.

Elwood

Offline jcj94

• http://techfusion-279.com
« Reply #169 on: March 31, 2010, 08:27:12 PM »
N: jcj94, ill go by james or jimmy.  
I was born 3/1/94 (#rd of jan) i like to try and keep stuff short.  
I have few friends because i choose so.  call me anti-social and ill kick your (star)(star)(star)  
Toledo Ohio, but im a mighigan collage american football fan.  
i currently go to the TTA im gettin paed to go to school. SWEET
Im sorry if i get distracted easily, i have bi-poler disorder so my mood and mind can switch drasticly.

there ive posted. now i shall hide in my heavy metal lair, annoying the elders

Offline Good Apollo

« Reply #170 on: May 05, 2010, 09:03:50 PM »
Hey guys,

I'm Andrew, and I've been a fan of Outpost 2 for quite some time. I played it years ago when it was newer (though I wasn't any good) and just picked it up again (although I'm still not very good). Luckily, I stumbled onto this board to find that other people still like OP2 too!
Anyway, I'm 19 year old student at SIUE (Southern IL University Edwardsville), though I'm (pretty much) from Springfield, IL. I'm majoring in Computer Science. Coheed and Cambria is the s***.

It's nice to meet all of you.

Offline Hidiot

« Reply #171 on: May 06, 2010, 01:44:15 AM »
Welcome to the boards, Good Apollo.

From your description, I look forward to seeing you around here. You say you're studying CS, so you have high chances of being neatly integrated in our little community. Not that there are a lot of CS people around, but a lot of us hold interest in computers (hardware or software or both, depending on the person).
« Last Edit: May 06, 2010, 01:44:24 AM by Hidiot »

Offline hardhead10

« Reply #172 on: May 27, 2010, 05:58:07 PM »
hello

Offline evecolonycamander

« Reply #173 on: May 27, 2010, 06:00:37 PM »
welcome to the forums. hope you like it here.
now that im thinking about it, why did i never intro myself?
« Last Edit: May 27, 2010, 06:45:23 PM by evecolonycamander »
''The blight cant get us up here!''
-famous last words
--------------o0o--------------
Outpost 2: EoM project status: Re-planning

Offline Flashy

« Reply #174 on: May 28, 2010, 07:09:04 AM »
Hi...  
« Last Edit: May 28, 2010, 10:41:32 AM by Flashy »
Praise the mighty light towers!!!