Author Topic: Locomotion  (Read 13112 times)

Offline Arklon

• Administrator
Locomotion
« Reply #25 on: August 01, 2007, 11:52:52 AM »
Maybe if the vehicles were too badly damaged and need to be transported for repairs.

Offline Freeza-CII

• Administrator
Locomotion
« Reply #26 on: August 01, 2007, 11:59:25 AM »
that is simple Use the damaged vecs as cannon fodder and build brand new one.  Much more simple then risking a cargo truck to haul away a unit.

Offline Psudomorph

Locomotion
« Reply #27 on: August 01, 2007, 12:10:08 PM »
that is simple Use the damaged vecs as cannon fodder and build brand new one.  Much more simple then risking a cargo truck to haul away a unit.
If your micromanagement skills are up to par, and you have the right units, you could even repair them. It's only half-way, but that could be enough to survive the next battle or get home at reasonable speed.
Basically, there are few to no reasons to transport one vehicle on another that could not be addressed better with some other method. I don't see much reason for that to change between OP2 and OP3.

Offline Mcshay

• Administrator
Locomotion
« Reply #28 on: August 01, 2007, 12:52:46 PM »
Spiders and Scorpions move faster than Cargo Trucks and Panthers though.
Unless you upgrade the Trucks. Then Cargo Trucks are as fast as Scorpions, though Spiders are still faster.
Oh, i thought they were slow (you would think something that had to walk would be much slower than something that rolls). No point in really using a transport then.  

Offline Sirbomber

Locomotion
« Reply #29 on: August 01, 2007, 05:25:56 PM »
Maybe if the vehicles were too badly damaged and need to be transported for repairs.
You can't repair Spiders/Scorpions.
"As usual, colonist opinion is split between those who think the plague is a good idea, and those who are dying from it." - Outpost Evening Star

Outpost 2 Coding 101 Tutorials

Offline Arklon

• Administrator
Locomotion
« Reply #30 on: August 01, 2007, 06:45:53 PM »
You can't repair Spiders/Scorpions.
Read chapter 9 of the Eden novella. The first five paragraphs mention a lynx on a cargo truck. But panthers and tigers would likely be a problem... maybe they could salvage whatever they can carry off of the damaged panthers/tigers and recycle them. Though, hell, you could just recycle the damaged lynx, too.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2007, 07:52:44 PM by Arklon »

Offline Sirbomber

Locomotion
« Reply #31 on: August 01, 2007, 09:31:40 PM »
That is a wrecked Lynx supposedly meant to be "recycled" though it turns out the Masters stole it for spare parts and sent back another Lynx they had already taken everything they needed from.
"As usual, colonist opinion is split between those who think the plague is a good idea, and those who are dying from it." - Outpost Evening Star

Offline Humility

Locomotion
« Reply #32 on: August 07, 2007, 06:58:55 AM »
if they are not running for thier lives in op3 how about trains on rails. heavlly armored lazer or microwave cannon toting trains carrying colonists,vehicles,ore ect.
Pride was the fall of man and angel alike only by humility may we be saved.

Offline Sirbomber

Locomotion
« Reply #33 on: August 07, 2007, 08:22:02 AM »
You mean like some kind of Monorail? I don't know; that sounds like something that the programmers would only half-implement. You would probably be able to build it but it wouldn't actually do anything.  ;)  

Offline Humility

Locomotion
« Reply #34 on: August 07, 2007, 08:32:29 AM »
I was thinking more like if the maps were really big or if you had multible colonies on different maps so you can send large amounts of reinforcments to a colonie under attack quickly. and whats wrong with simple train tracks quickly placed on the ground. And if its armed it can be hard to stop. but its use would be more if the game went on a grand scale like op1 did

Offline Sirbomber

Locomotion
« Reply #35 on: August 07, 2007, 08:35:12 AM »
It would need to be a really big train to hold enough vehicles to stop any decent attack, and all they need to do is blow up the tracks first and you're screwed. Sounds expensive and hard to maintain.

Offline Humility

Locomotion
« Reply #36 on: August 07, 2007, 08:37:50 AM »
your right,that not a good ideal.

Offline Combine Crusier

Locomotion
« Reply #37 on: August 30, 2007, 08:45:11 AM »
I have refined my idea for balled vehicles.... Instead of a full bal just cut the sides of the...... ball off attach arms to each side that would directly connect it to the vehicle and cause the aceleration. Sounds a lot like wheels but there's a catch... The arms are on rotators that allow them to turn the wheels so the entire chassis doesn't have to turn.. this would also allow it to strafe and this would allow the possibility for the gun to be mounted directly on the chassis without a turret which would allow for more power to be diverted to the weapon and also lighten the vehicle since there wouldn't be a armored turret on the chassis.

P.S. The strafing would also allow the vehicle to keep the heaviestly armored part of the chassis pointed at the enemy. . I.E. less damage when hit.
Fire at will!

Offline Sirbomber

Locomotion
« Reply #38 on: August 30, 2007, 09:33:43 AM »
this would allow the possibility for the gun to be mounted directly on the chassis without a turret which would allow for more power to be diverted to the weapon and also lighten the vehicle since there wouldn't be a armored turret on the chassis.
Uh... What?

Offline Psudomorph

Locomotion
« Reply #39 on: August 30, 2007, 09:52:12 AM »
=====
PARANOID CLARIFICATION: This post does not refer to trains in any way. It refers to the drive system proposed by Combine Cruiser.
=====

I think I get what you are saying. I'm envisioning a wheel sitting in the center of a horizontal track [EDIT: By which I mean a mechanism inside the chassis itself], attached with arms.
Something like this? (Beware: painfully bad drawing and photoshop enhancement skills!)

I see where you are going with it. The entire chassis of the vehicle would be basically a reinforced armored siege cannon, but having wheels that could turn 360 degrees on their horizontal axis would still give it the maneuverability to strafe opponents.

The advantages would be a great deal of firepower.
The disadvantages however, would still be primarily a lack of mobility.
-The weapon would take power away from the drives, in all likelihood forcing the vehicle to slow down slightly before firing.
-The weapon would probably have a long recharge time.
-The vehicle could still be easily flanked by smaller faster units, and be unable to retaliate quickly.

I think it would actually prove to be a pretty balanced design, good for punching through defenses, but much less useful against a mobile enemy.

There is a vehicle in Cyberstorm 2 that I think it would end up looking very similar to. I wish I could get a screenshot, but I don't have the game with me at the moment.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2007, 01:41:30 PM by Psudomorph »

Offline Freeza-CII

• Administrator
Locomotion
« Reply #40 on: August 30, 2007, 11:18:12 AM »
Trains are a bad idea because you have to build tracks for them.

Offline Sirbomber

Locomotion
« Reply #41 on: August 30, 2007, 01:12:29 PM »
And tracks get destroyed easily.

Offline Combine Crusier

Locomotion
« Reply #42 on: August 31, 2007, 08:09:38 AM »
No tracks HUMAN!
Fire at will!

Offline Freeza-CII

• Administrator
Locomotion
« Reply #43 on: August 31, 2007, 10:30:11 AM »
ok what ever sibko reject.

Offline Combine Crusier

Locomotion
« Reply #44 on: October 01, 2007, 06:39:29 PM »
Wait I've got it! How to get a unit to hover magnetically! We could use a spider sized unit vamped to go subterrainian with a large robo-mole, the unit would be propelled by wheels instead of legs and could be equipped with a magnet which would allow a unit above it to hover and the unit above the spider could be equipped with those fan like things used on some boats which would allow it to move. GTG!
Fire at will!

Offline Freeza-CII

• Administrator
Locomotion
« Reply #45 on: October 02, 2007, 10:15:59 AM »
Magnets do not repel gravity.

Offline Combine Crusier

Locomotion
« Reply #46 on: October 02, 2007, 04:17:49 PM »
No, not anti-gravity it would work like the maglev only there would be no track just an underground vehicle...

Fire at will!

Offline Freeza-CII

• Administrator
Locomotion
« Reply #47 on: October 02, 2007, 07:41:43 PM »
Two units to do one thing that is just dumb.  Ill spend my resources on 2 wheeled vecs instead of a TBM and a floater.  Digging underground takes a long damn time you can just get down there and start going 100 kph.

Fan like thing on a boat.  Your either thinking of a Radar, Hydrafoil, or a boomarang Antenna.

Offline Sirbomber

Locomotion
« Reply #48 on: October 02, 2007, 10:53:06 PM »
How about we just have all our colonists pick a vehicle up and either carry it to where we want it or throw it at something and hope it doesn't explode? Though at that point we should just build a giant catapult.

Offline BlackBox

• Administrator
Locomotion
« Reply #49 on: October 09, 2007, 06:52:17 PM »
Wait I've got it! How to get a unit to hover magnetically! We could use a spider sized unit vamped to go subterrainian with a large robo-mole, the unit would be propelled by wheels instead of legs and could be equipped with a magnet which would allow a unit above it to hover and the unit above the spider could be equipped with those fan like things used on some boats which would allow it to move. GTG!
Yeah, building tracks underground costs too much. Especially in the case of maglev tracks (yes, you have to use tracks. Like Freeza already said you can't make a TBM that travels as fast as a surface vehicle). Not to mention they probably couldn't be too far underground, which would make them vulnerable (you could still detonate a bomb at the surface and damage the tracks).

As far as the "fan like thing" I think he is referring to either a hovercraft or something that works like a seaplane on water (I know some ferries / boats in wetland/marsh areas use this kind of propulsion because an underwater prop would supposedly damage the environment. Seems like a waste of money and fuel to me).

These sorts of propulsion systems are not efficient at all, especially not with vehicles of the weight we have on New Terra. Again, I don't see why we need new propulsion types. None of them are more efficient or better in any way over the regular types (wheels and tracks). Sounds like you are just trying to come up with anything that might look or seem "cool."