Author Topic: Areal Scout  (Read 3329 times)

Offline Combine Crusier

Areal Scout
« on: May 19, 2007, 10:20:27 AM »
Last night I had a wierd dream.... I won't go into details, however there was something interesting, one of the colonists owned a sort of areal scout that was used to look for any anomalies on the ground above a mine, perhaps this vehicle could be worth investigating. It appeared that the vehcile had some sort of jet or rocket propulsion system on the back and bottom of the vehile along with smaller versions on the other sides. It looked like it had some sort of targeting system and advanced scanning equipment. I don't think it was armed as I didn't see it fire, however it did appear to be fast.

Possible specs.
Stats: Maesis
Flight Recon
HP: 200
Armor: Medium
Speed: Ultra Fast
Ability: May hover or fly
SAbility: Scan enemy targets at a distance
AAbility: Land
Common Ore: N/A
Rare Ore: N/A
3rd Ore: N/A
Colonists: 1 worker

It almost sounded as if it was the only vehicle of it's kind and it was brought on the Maesis starship...... Maybe worth looking into for atleast single player.

Don't blame me for this idea blame my subconsious!
« Last Edit: May 21, 2007, 08:33:50 AM by Combine Crusier »
Fire at will!

Offline Freeza-CII

• Administrator
Areal Scout
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2007, 02:10:40 PM »
Uh what?

Offline Combine Crusier

Areal Scout
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2007, 08:35:26 AM »
The upper 80% was painted yellow of all colors and had a blue color cockpit window and was dark grey on the bottom 20%.
Fire at will!

Offline Freeza-CII

• Administrator
Areal Scout
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2007, 11:53:18 AM »
What is the point to this idea.  Air units have all ready been shot down and flamed to death.  Flying around the mine and scanning for stuff doesnt seem to make any sence as well.

Offline BlackBox

• Administrator
Areal Scout
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2007, 03:11:45 PM »
Dreams rarely make sense, so the vehicles in them don't usually make a lot of sense either.

A flying scout seems like a waste to build (why does it need to hover when you can just put wheels on it).

Offline Blitz

Areal Scout
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2007, 09:31:42 AM »
it does seem like a good idea IF its can have attack units tied to it so if it sees something, said units are immediately notified and proceed to attack. but the idea of a scout unit seems almost plausible, you could also try and base it off thisflying probe they built for mars (seeing the planetary similarities) but i think it may end up like the scout vehicle, i mean who builds those?

Offline Freeza-CII

• Administrator
Areal Scout
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2007, 10:32:52 PM »
Units already have a reconnition in them to attack in range of there weapon.  plus your warned if some thing is under attack.  A flying scout has no point in the game when a scout on the ground works the same way.

Offline Leviathan

Areal Scout
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2007, 09:08:45 AM »
I think if Genesis has the mode to have fog of war like most rts games a flying unit scout would be quality. You need to scout the enemy and find out what they are up to. I also like to idea of it needing a worker. If you lose the scout you are loseing a very usefull resourse so you must be carefull with it.

Well if your having scout air units you may as well have all sorts of air units. But anyway we shall see if there will be air units or not.

Offline Freeza-CII

• Administrator
Areal Scout
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2007, 12:37:36 PM »
A regular scout would work just as well as a flying scout there is no need to have some thing fly just because its cool that has killed games before.  Plus Air units have been shot down many times already.

Offline Leviathan

Areal Scout
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2007, 07:08:00 AM »
A vechicle scout cant get into a base if the entrances are blocked.

A flying scout could fly over clifs and take a look at whats going on.

Offline Sirbomber

Areal Scout
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2007, 07:21:06 AM »
But supposedly there is only one in existance and it's owned by generic guy with so much money he doesn't know what to do with it and wastes it on useless stuff like a flying scout. He wouldn't let anyone send his magic scout on a suicide mission.

Besides, if you want to know what your enemy is doing, scroll over to his base and watch.
"As usual, colonist opinion is split between those who think the plague is a good idea, and those who are dying from it." - Outpost Evening Star

Outpost 2 Coding 101 Tutorials

Offline Leviathan

Areal Scout
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2007, 07:25:55 AM »
Yes but i hope Genesis with have differnt types of fog of war modes. OP2 style where you can see the entire map allways and standard RTS game style where you can only see what your units can see. etc

Offline Freeza-CII

• Administrator
Areal Scout
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2007, 12:56:20 PM »
who gives a s*** about other RTS this is OP3 a continuation of OP2.

Offline Leviathan

Areal Scout
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2007, 03:48:33 AM »
Because OP2 is not the only RTS in the world.

Genesis is also a new game and a new improved OP2. It can take experience from whats good and bad from OP2 as well as other RTS games. More options and settings in the game the better i think.

Yes we dont want to see a totaly new game that is unrecognizable and nothing like OP2 but we do want to see improvements like new techs, rally points, unit stacking etc.