Author Topic: Cobra  (Read 3857 times)

Offline Combine Crusier

Cobra
« on: May 03, 2007, 08:49:22 AM »
Anyone think about a vehicle that moves like a snake and is armored and built like a snake?

Stats: Cobra:
HP: 720
Armor: Heavy Renforced
Speed: Fast
FP: 1 Gun: Raises it's forward most section and fires a weapon from the equivalent of it's mouth
SFP: Can decrease damage taken by coiling up like a snake!
Common Ore: N/A
Rare Ore: N/A
3rd Ore: N/A

Hey it's another type of transportation and it's in use by nature today.... It might even inflict terror into the enemy player!

Snake raises it's head from behind a rock and vaporizes a scout in a single rail gun blast.
Fire at will!

Offline Freeza-CII

• Administrator
Cobra
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2007, 12:12:14 PM »
Were it is possible to build.  It would be hell to kill as each segment needs it own brain.  How ever coiling up would make it a bigger target making it easier to hit.  Making it attack 360 would be hard to as all the units use turrets.  Which means the head has to flex around and such which i imagen would be a nightmare to program for the game.  Having the weapon in the head wouldnt work either because the weapon need there own power plant unless your going to have chemical projected weapons (AKA Modern bullets).

Offline Combine Crusier

Cobra
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2007, 08:20:24 AM »
The scorpion doesn't have a turret does it? It could turn a portion of the upper chassis to turn and fire. Multiple scorpion fusion power plants could also be used to power it's systems.
Fire at will!

Offline Freeza-CII

• Administrator
Cobra
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2007, 12:07:34 PM »
The scorpian has a turret it looks like a dome.  But still the rest of my previous post still stands

Offline Combine Crusier

Cobra
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2007, 08:17:04 AM »
What about the part where I said,  It could turn a portion of the upper chassis to turn and fire?
Fire at will!

Offline Freeza-CII

• Administrator
Cobra
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2007, 03:08:55 PM »
its a snake its long and round.  Not a good idea for a Combat unit.

Snake raises it's head from behind a rock and vaporizes a scout in a single rail gun blast.

Offline Combine Crusier

Cobra
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2007, 08:47:27 AM »
How do slugs move?
Fire at will!

Offline Freeza-CII

• Administrator
Cobra
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2007, 12:11:02 PM »
The move on there belly but there is no point to a unit that raises it head to strike. it wouldnt have a turret as its firing from its "mouth".

Offline Combine Crusier

Cobra
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2007, 08:17:28 AM »
A slug could have a turret on to of it's shell.
Fire at will!

Offline Freeza-CII

• Administrator
Cobra
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2007, 02:10:55 PM »
thats a snail.  and i dont think thats a very good idea

Offline Sirbomber

Cobra
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2007, 02:34:31 PM »
Anyone think about a vehicle that moves like a snake and is armored and built like a snake?
Why don't we just call it a Hydralisk?

Besides, this sounds like it would take too much effort and use too many resources for the colonies to seriously consider something like this.
"As usual, colonist opinion is split between those who think the plague is a good idea, and those who are dying from it." - Outpost Evening Star

Outpost 2 Coding 101 Tutorials

Offline BlackBox

• Administrator
Cobra
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2007, 02:43:23 PM »
Yeah, it seems more like it would be a novelty / "no one ever tried this before!" than an actual weapon.

Just like this:

And no, it's not photoshopped either. That really does exist and I have been there (I live not too far away from it).
Obviously, it's not designed to cut wood. But it does have an engine and it does run.

A snake would be the same way. Sounds like a pet project of a scientist rather than an actual machine that would be viable for general use (as a weapon or whatever).
« Last Edit: May 21, 2007, 02:45:04 PM by op2hacker »

Offline Tramis

Cobra
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2007, 10:06:16 AM »
It can work, but it would be a huge feat of engineering and not very feasible for actual open warfare.

Who here watched Battlebots?

http://www.battlebots.com/meet_the_robots3....asp?ID=54&r=13

The robot Snake was basically what you're talking about.  It did win that match, but you have to read the match descrip also, and watch the videos on the bottom of the page - the other robot was indecisive on how to attack Snake (due to the fact that all it had as weapons was a lifter - there are no ranged weapons allowed in Battlebots, let alone tank-sized lasers and RPGs), and Snake was awkward to pick up and attack (not particularly difficult to shoot though).  Even so, it had limited potency, as it was slow and difficult to move.

In an Outpost situation, such a design would have a lifespan of probably 15 seconds if its lucky.

Offline Freeza-CII

• Administrator
Cobra
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2007, 12:18:34 PM »
I dont really care if it was on battle bots it bearly won its match.  Besides its not a ALL TERRAN vec that the colonies would need so i think its still out of the question.  And having it just because its "Cool" isnt good enough.

Offline Blitz

Cobra
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2007, 09:45:09 AM »
maybe give it the ability to crawl up cliffs or burrow under ground and set an ambush

Offline Freeza-CII

• Administrator
Cobra
« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2007, 10:28:46 PM »
No omg not trying to be mean and i realize there are alot of post but please read some of the others before posting.  There is alot of repeating of thoughts.