Author Topic: Bithium Ore  (Read 17157 times)

Offline Betaray

• Administrator
Bithium Ore
« Reply #25 on: February 23, 2007, 12:26:00 PM »
as such it becomes the same thing as the "heavy" ore that has been shot down for years
I am the nincompoop, I eat atomic bombs for breakfest, fusion bombs for lunch, and anti-matter bombs for dinner

I just hope they don't explode

Offline White Claw

Bithium Ore
« Reply #26 on: February 23, 2007, 07:50:21 PM »
Wether you call it "bithium", "ultra rare", or "heavy" ore you're still arguing for the same thing: A third resource type. I think the general concensus is that no body wan't to bother with a third resource that is basically the same as the other two (but more "rare" than "rare"). Its along the same reasons why people don't want a third type of "colonist". Having two (workers and scientists) to deal with is enough.

If we're going to add another resource type of thing to worry about, I'd be more of an advocate for something like air or water (i.e. Chap facility) than for a third ore. (but that's a whole 'nother topic)

Offline Combine Crusier

Bithium Ore
« Reply #27 on: February 25, 2007, 08:23:32 PM »
This isn't a vital ore though it only is used to a\open up new unneeded technologies I mean you don't need it to win a game. It is not so much a hassle but an option to make noessential advancements.
Fire at will!

Offline Freeza-CII

• Administrator
Bithium Ore
« Reply #28 on: February 26, 2007, 02:21:32 AM »
This isn't a vital ore though it only is used to a\open up new unneeded technologies I mean you don't need it to win a game. It is not so much a hassle but an option to make noessential advancements.

Uh ya if its not important then why even have it.

Offline Mez

Bithium Ore
« Reply #29 on: February 26, 2007, 03:20:43 AM »
Well do you use leisure studies, consumer good factories etc in a multiplayer game? (Well not a population one anyway)

Do you however use them in colony games to get population up? Yes

Its still feasible to use some of these technologies when the situation and map allows for it.

If you know that doing some of the "extra" techs will give u the tactical edge, then you use them.  More fool you if you don't e.g. Acid Cloud weaponry

Offline Combine Crusier

Bithium Ore
« Reply #30 on: February 26, 2007, 08:37:03 AM »
This ore was suggested by me because I have used it in several MILITARY suggestments which aren't vital since it's a game of survival but it would give you some extra comfort if added. Besides unit designs form Outpost 2 will be much older and the older the more likely to becoome obselete.
Fire at will!

Offline White Claw

Bithium Ore
« Reply #31 on: February 26, 2007, 07:49:36 PM »
It's a valiant try, but I'm still not sure anyone wants another ore type. I would like to see an additional tech branch though. But I suppose that's another thread.

Without quoting me where you would use the ore specifically (i.e. military units, reinforced structures) help me see where this fits in the game. I can already created advanced units with rare ores (and nobody seems keen on new chassis types). I think I could also argue that if we want reinforced structures, we could use rare ore (since that hasn't been done yet).

The problem is that if you start telling me it's some ultra light material, or some super dense metal, that is all already included in the generic "rare" and "common" metals. Rare and common are not a type of metal, they're a classification.

Offline Combine Crusier

Bithium Ore
« Reply #32 on: February 27, 2007, 08:32:49 AM »
Those classes don't appear to include isotopes some of which can be better than the original. I mean what if you used an isotope of hydrogen in reactors than the plain old stuff? I was hoping this ore would be put in to open up new branches of technology that people are actually interested in. I was also hopping it would have some signifficance in the game while not being VITAL. This would add more challenge and technology to the game.

The idea is that this material would be more viable than rare as it is slightly heavier than the normal materials but is flat out more efficent in terms of strength. These materials could possibly do things that rare can't. For example: A vehicle with titanium armor could be upgraded with an isotope of that material while not weighing a huge amount more just a little which wouldn't hinder it's speed as much and could be potentially better.

There's a thought blend carbon and titanium, isotope or not it would be a heck of an armor!
Fire at will!

Offline TRIX Rabbit

• http://androidar.deviantart.com/
Bithium Ore
« Reply #33 on: February 27, 2007, 08:54:40 AM »
umm... In fusion reactors, two of the three naturaly occuring isotopes are used. Tritium, which is Hydrogen with two neutrons, and Deuterium, which has 1 neutron. They don't use the "plain old kind". go look up Deuterium-Tritium Fusion on google.

Also, isotopes of elements are quite common. Carbon-12 is the common one, but carbon-14 is found in nature and is used for "carbon dating". Potassium isotopes are found in your body.

A denser metal does NOT mean it is stronger. Iron is mixed with carbon to make steel, one of the most common building materials in skyscrapers. Titanium is a light metal, and is very strong and resistant to heat and cold. Mercury is a very dense natural metal, and it is liquid. So much for strong dense metals.

Also, a titanium-carbon blend is not an isotope. It is an alloy called Titanium Carbide. Go do a Wikipedia study time before trying to argue for "Dense" Bithium ore. \:(

EDIT: By the way, nuclear power plants use Deuterium water (D2O) to abosrb neutrons from the uranium reactor rods, and to cool the reactor.
Oops...Double posted

« Last Edit: February 27, 2007, 09:00:07 AM by TRIX Rabbit »
I'm more commonly known as AndroidAR now:
My deviantArt

Offline Combine Crusier

Bithium Ore
« Reply #34 on: February 27, 2007, 09:00:05 AM »
I didn't call it an isotope I mearly indicated that it would be a good armor and it could be better if you mixed the isotopes of those elements together. I never said bithium was dense I was saying it could weigh more but not not as much more as your average rare ore composite.

I know that denser doesn't always mean it is stronger look at lead.

Some isotopes are rare though.
Fire at will!

Offline TRIX Rabbit

• http://androidar.deviantart.com/
Bithium Ore
« Reply #35 on: February 27, 2007, 09:19:01 AM »
The idea is that this material would be more viable than rare as it is slightly heavier than the normal materials but is flat out more efficent in terms of strength.

Heavier usually means more mass. Unless the gravitational pull varies, or one sample is larger than the other.

Let's assume for a second that the comparison between "rare" metals and "bithium" metals were of the same volume, as it has to be to make a comparison about mass (I'll say a half liter, 500ml each).
Now if the sample of bithium was "slightly heavier" (I'll assume that rare, R = 1.5kg, and that bithium, B = 2kg) than the sample of bithium (using the Density= Mass/Volume) is:
Code: [Select]
R=1.5kg=1500g
D=1500g/500ml= 3 g/ml

B=2kg=2000g
D=2000g/500ml=4g/ml

OH LOOK, THE BITHIUM IS DENSER!

And explain to me two things:
1.) What exactly is a average rare ore composite?

2.) What metals are contained in Bithium ore? Rare and common ores contain many different types of metals, inculding the densest naturally occuring (in more than miniscule amounts) metal, uranium. Also please specify the Atomic mass, names and such of the materials contained in the bithium ores.
I'm more commonly known as AndroidAR now:
My deviantArt

Offline Betaray

• Administrator
Bithium Ore
« Reply #36 on: February 27, 2007, 04:36:16 PM »
The main point is that it would be a 3d type of ore, which has been shot down numerous times.

If there is going to be more resources it would most likely be in the form of atmospheric gases with the CHAP.

topic closed
I am the nincompoop, I eat atomic bombs for breakfest, fusion bombs for lunch, and anti-matter bombs for dinner

I just hope they don't explode