Author Topic: I Really Need Help!  (Read 5684 times)

Offline gethomas3

I Really Need Help!
« on: January 09, 2007, 11:48:32 AM »
i just finished a map. how do i get that map to be playable in Outpost 2? and what do u do to have any missions on them?

Offline BlackBox

• Administrator
I Really Need Help!
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2007, 02:02:54 PM »
Well, the map itself is only the terrain part of the mission itself.

In order to get the map to play in Outpost 2, you have to create a DLL file in C++ and reference the map from it. The DLL file defines all other characteristics of the mission as well -- it is responsible for creating units, giving the players initial resources, setting up disasters, handling victory and failure conditions, etc.

You will probably want to know at least a little C++ in order to get started writing a DLL file. If you're not interested in learning how to do this, or don't have the time or patience, you might be able to find someone else who can write the mission for you.

Offline gethomas3

I Really Need Help!
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2007, 03:21:16 PM »
Well, the map itself is only the terrain part of the mission itself.

In order to get the map to play in Outpost 2, you have to create a DLL file in C++ and reference the map from it. The DLL file defines all other characteristics of the mission as well -- it is responsible for creating units, giving the players initial resources, setting up disasters, handling victory and failure conditions, etc.

You will probably want to know at least a little C++ in order to get started writing a DLL file. If you're not interested in learning how to do this, or don't have the time or patience, you might be able to find someone else who can write the mission for you.
im interested. what do i need to do and what programs i need?

Offline Leviathan

I Really Need Help!
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2007, 04:58:15 PM »
u can download microsoft visual studio c++ to make ur dll

Offline Mcshay

• Administrator
I Really Need Help!
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2007, 05:25:06 PM »

Offline Eddy-B

• http://www.eddy-b.com
I Really Need Help!
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2007, 07:29:34 AM »
.... or just use my OP2Scripter :D
Rule #1:  Eddy is always right
Rule #2: If you think he's wrong, see rule #1
--------------------

Outpost : Renegades - Eddy-B.com - Electronics Pit[/siz

Offline instigator

I Really Need Help!
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2007, 09:12:25 PM »
what op2 scripter... I don't see dl :(

Offline gethomas3

I Really Need Help!
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2007, 06:57:03 PM »
// Misc initialization
   TethysGame::CreateWreck(95, 63, (map_id)11999, 0); // Tech #11999 - tiger speed upgrade

TethysGame::ForceMoraleGood(-1);
   if (TethysGame::UsesMorale())
      TethysGame::FreeMoraleLevel(-1);
   TethysGame::SetDaylightEverywhere(TethysGame::UsesDayNight() == 0);
   TethysGame::SetDaylightMoves(0);
   GameMap::SetInitialLightLevel(-32);

CreateLastOneStandingVictoryCondition();

OK. I figure out how to make the map run in OP2 but i dont know how to change it to something other the create last one standing victory. and it keep being mission acomplished before i even click anything! help!!!

Offline gethomas3

I Really Need Help!
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2007, 08:04:22 PM »
// Misc initialization
   TethysGame::CreateWreck(95, 63, (map_id)11999, 0); // Tech #11999 - tiger speed upgrade

TethysGame::ForceMoraleGood(-1);
   if (TethysGame::UsesMorale())
      TethysGame::FreeMoraleLevel(-1);
   TethysGame::SetDaylightEverywhere(TethysGame::UsesDayNight() == 0);
   TethysGame::SetDaylightMoves(0);
   GameMap::SetInitialLightLevel(-32);

CreateLastOneStandingVictoryCondition();

OK. I figure out how to make the map run in OP2 but i dont know how to change it to something other the create last one standing victory. and it keep being mission acomplished before i even click anything! help!!!
and on the map editor is there any way to get plymouth buildings because i keep getting edens

Offline Leviathan

I Really Need Help!
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2007, 01:04:10 AM »
When your placing the buildings in the map editor your not placing eden or plymouth buildings, your just placing buildings in the code. The DLL and race selection of the player defines the race when they play the game.

The map editor just creates code for your buildings for the players. It just only contains the gfx for the eden buildings because it was less work and not needed to contain both race's gfx.

And to view your map with out it closeing right away just do:
// CreateLastOneStandingVictoryCondition();
And comment it out so its not there.

Offline Eddy-B

• http://www.eddy-b.com
I Really Need Help!
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2007, 05:00:51 AM »
Download
Rule #1:  Eddy is always right
Rule #2: If you think he's wrong, see rule #1
--------------------

Outpost : Renegades - Eddy-B.com - Electronics Pit[/siz

Offline Empedocles

• http://www.justfuckinggoogleit.com
I Really Need Help!
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2008, 08:09:27 AM »
Outpost Scripter, eh? Where do I find it? The link is broken.

Offline Hidiot

I Really Need Help!
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2008, 11:39:49 AM »
Cause the post is... over 1 year old...
"Nothing from nowhere, I'm no one at all"

Offline Empedocles

• http://www.justfuckinggoogleit.com
I Really Need Help!
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2008, 07:50:02 AM »
Yeah, that would do it.

Offline Savant 231-A

• https://www.outpost2.net
I Really Need Help!
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2008, 11:05:46 AM »
Cause the post is... over 1 year old...
I think sarcasm comes here by years :D
Gordon Freeman, and mr. Crowbar would own Master Chief in any part of the day.
"Come here citizen."

"From the ashes of the collapse we seek to build a better world for all."

Offline Zlorfik

I Really Need Help!
« Reply #15 on: July 04, 2008, 11:43:11 AM »
Seems to be a very old post, even though I'd like to ask if there's any way of downloading that scripter... Because it would make work much easier than to write it in C++ and learn how to do that...

Offline Hooman

• Administrator
I Really Need Help!
« Reply #16 on: July 05, 2008, 02:30:14 AM »
I'm not aware of any working links. But then, I never really used it. I'm comfortable enough with C++ that I've never felt the need. I also get the feeling that most people trying to make levels just use C++. You don't really need to understand it very much to write your own stuff. The SDK comes with a little bit of sample code, and you can start off with a bit of copy and paste. If you have questions on how to do something specific, feel free to ask either on the forums here, or on IRC. (Although, we're not always around on IRC, and response times can be anywhere from a few seconds to a few hours).

This is an area where we'd like more sample code or tutorials, so your questions may help us too.

Offline Zlorfik

I Really Need Help!
« Reply #17 on: July 06, 2008, 07:09:27 AM »
Yeah, thanks. I thought about that too and downloaded that stuff to work with C++ but unfortunately I had some problems with my computer, that it didn't install one program correctly and so I can't create level codes. Although my computer is really old it has nothing to do with it's age... It's a prblem with my registry. I think I need to buy a new one soon ^^

So I think in this forum it's possible to upload some files... Maybe it's possible that someone who owns the AI-Scripter could upload it here and then I could get to it... Or it could also be sent to my E-mail address...

Thanks for any further help.

Fire Plague

I Really Need Help!
« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2008, 06:28:35 PM »
I've had this discussion before with other people. I believe the scripter is in Mapper2 as the "generate code" option. which means everyone says that it's stupid.
Personally I find it good to use to save time placeing buildings and vehicles for maps but it dosen't even create a usable code to put together the DLL file needed to play. Its more ment to add to a project. If It's easy enough I can offer some advice, but as you'll see from posts here, I'm not exatctly a programmer eather.

As for the SDK to learn to code, well, it's woefully inadiquate. I plan on posting all the things I've learned from these nice people here once I've got enough information.  It should be reviewed and added to the SDK, so that the newbie nation we belong to, can better understand it. (ie, a monkey could program a DLL. :whistle: )

Offline Hidiot

I Really Need Help!
« Reply #19 on: July 15, 2008, 06:16:17 AM »
The scripter is good for placing beacons, fumaroles, vents and units, buildings that are of unique placement (unique compared to other players in the same map).

So you don't have to write down the location of each of those things.

For placing standard starting units/buildings, even standard beacons/fumaroles/vents, the BaseBuilder.h is better.

I mean standard, as in each player has the same amount of units,etc with the same layout. (or similar if you placed a small variation for positions in the BaseBuilder.h)
"Nothing from nowhere, I'm no one at all"

Offline Zlorfik

I Really Need Help!
« Reply #20 on: July 15, 2008, 01:05:38 PM »
I know that you can create codes really easy with the "generate code" button but only with that code in that, I think .txt format isn't really helpful... and as I said, the program that makes a dll of the .txt doesn't work correctly...

Yeah but I think I'll just have to wait 'till this program works correctly on my pc.

Offline Sirbomber

I Really Need Help!
« Reply #21 on: July 15, 2008, 04:34:51 PM »
You're supposed to copy/paste the code the Mapper generates into a project, not compile it by itself.
"As usual, colonist opinion is split between those who think the plague is a good idea, and those who are dying from it." - Outpost Evening Star

Outpost 2 Coding 101 Tutorials

Fire Plague

I Really Need Help!
« Reply #22 on: August 20, 2008, 03:45:21 PM »
So, did you ever get any progress on that map of yours?