Author Topic: Who Do You Think Is Supposed To Win?  (Read 24783 times)

Offline BlackBox

• Administrator
Who Do You Think Is Supposed To Win?
« Reply #50 on: June 04, 2007, 01:28:26 PM »
I think there are hardcoded morale bonuses as well (could be wrong, but my memory tells (or misleads) me that some of the morale update functions check whether the player is Eden or Plymouth and does some adjustments based on that.

Offline Hooman

• Administrator
« Reply #51 on: June 04, 2007, 03:19:12 PM »
The only colony type check I saw in that code was the one that selected the appropriate constant listed above.

As for who was supposed to win, I'm just gonna say Eden. It sounds like they were in the better technological position to win. I think they just allowed Plymouth to win in the Plymouth storyline because it'd be dissapointing for the player to win but not really win. Kinda of like, what's the point in playing Plymouth if they can never escape the planet? Just seems too futile.  

Offline Brazilian Fan

« Reply #52 on: June 04, 2007, 04:15:38 PM »
I agree with Homman there, Eden has a clear tecnological lead

I think people say that ply should win because they LIKE it (starflare, emp missile, and the "Eden is Evil" thingy)

We should base our judgements on facts, not because we like some side. Hell, I love to play with Plymouth. But I don't think they would really win
« Last Edit: June 04, 2007, 04:17:47 PM by Brazilian Fan »

Offline Prometheus

« Reply #53 on: June 04, 2007, 05:35:05 PM »
After reading the most recent posts I have to agree that Eden has a definite edge over Plymouth.  Although I think Plymouth should win because it was Eden that screwed up the planet to begin with.  As has been said by others, Eden has better weapons (2 words Thor's Hammer  :D ).  Eden's RLV also gives them a huge edge in the  Space Race as it can launch all their SS components for the cost of 4-5
SULVs.

Offline Combine Crusier

« Reply #54 on: June 05, 2007, 08:14:46 AM »
Prometheus is a Cybrid in the Dynamix Earthsiege series... He is the head honcho Cybrid!!!
Fire at will!

Offline Sirbomber

« Reply #55 on: June 05, 2007, 01:49:52 PM »
Prometheus is a Cybrid in the Dynamix Earthsiege series... He is the head honcho Cybrid!!!
What does ANY of that have to do with this thread? Neither "Prometheus" nor "Cybrid" appear in any post in this thread. Please post your off-topic nonsense someplace else.

"As usual, colonist opinion is split between those who think the plague is a good idea, and those who are dying from it." - Outpost Evening Star

Outpost 2 Coding 101 Tutorials

Offline Nightmare24148

« Reply #56 on: June 06, 2007, 05:59:56 PM »
Its kinda moot though who wins in the story because Plymouth steals what they need (scientists, RLV, etc). And their technology also adapted to meet that need (Spiders, Stickyfoam, EMP Missiles) - if anything yes Eden would win on a pure TECHNOLOGICAL basis but Plymouth evens it out with their tactics and (ir)rationality, even.  
I look to see, in the mirror.

All I see, is that he is me.

Offline Quantum

« Reply #57 on: July 08, 2007, 08:04:38 PM »
Eden has a good advantage with the thors and acid clouds but plymouth even has it better they are able to launch missles and esg's are really effective so I think overall Plymouth wins ....if you are quick enough at having spaceports and esg's by the time the mark is up  
This conversation did not happen, the gun that I have in my hand is not real and the Presidents book does not exist.

Offline Sirbomber

« Reply #58 on: July 08, 2007, 08:19:05 PM »
They don't have enough resources for their own starship; how are they going to Missile Whore?

P.S. Thor's Hammer is not an uber-weapon, despite popular belief.
"As usual, colonist opinion is split between those who think the plague is a good idea, and those who are dying from it." - Outpost Evening Star

Offline Quantum

« Reply #59 on: July 09, 2007, 10:54:49 AM »
oh come on even though thors are vulnerable to emp's and esg's the have far range when it comes to battle

People still get killed behind the walls with thors there lol :P  
This conversation did not happen, the gun that I have in my hand is not real and the Presidents book does not exist.

Offline Arklon

• Administrator
« Reply #60 on: July 09, 2007, 11:04:11 AM »
EMP missiles(which is countered by Eden)
Hardly.

I'm kinda betting on Plymouth to win. Thieves always win.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2007, 11:05:37 AM by Arklon »

Offline Quantum

« Reply #61 on: July 09, 2007, 01:39:18 PM »
not ALWAYS

« Last Edit: July 09, 2007, 01:39:29 PM by Quantum »

Offline Nightmare24148

« Reply #62 on: December 29, 2007, 06:06:07 PM »
Just thinking the other day...yeah Eden PROBABLY is winnar because not only were they much farther along in the project and Plymouth had to steal everything including an RLV at the last minute (in the Plymouth campaign). Plus either way whats his name stays behind and according to Eden ending, leads them all, perhaps on a desperate attempt to build another starship.
I look to see, in the mirror.

All I see, is that he is me.

Offline Prometheus

« Reply #63 on: February 27, 2008, 12:28:54 AM »
Well, the central point of both campaigns was the fact that the blight was spreading so fast  that much of the planet's resources were effectively inacessible (already over-run or couldn't safely be harvested before being over-run by the blight).  If there were enough resources for two starships then why waste time and precious resources building weapons?  The simple truth is that only one side made it out, taking the children of the the losing colony with them for humanitarian reasons.
     In all likelyhood Eden would have been the ones to escape as they were more advanced technologically.  The RLV allowed them to save their resources for the starship instead of having to waste it on one shot rockets.
     Even if we assume both side managed to build a starship, Eden's would stand a better chance of success on arrival at a new planet.  The RLV would allow them to pack every last scrap of metal they had for the voyage for use on the new planet.  
     As for the whole "who's the bad guy?" issue, it should be remembered that eden didn't intend to release the blight, it escaped.  The bug had been created to terraform the planet, so presumably they would have designed it so that it couldn't get into their buildings/vehicles/spacesuits.  How the BLight gained this ability is unclear (it could have been  intended as a bioweapon designed to only infect a small area, but its more likely that it was unintentional, it amy even have evolved that way after its release!).  In any case it's clear from the storyline that everyone involved in the development of the Blight was killed in the explosion of the lab (a meeting on the situation was being held in the lab at the time).  This means that whatever the sins of Pre-Blight Eden might have been, the Eden in the game wasn't responible for them since they were those who were involved in the upkeep of the colony.

Edit to add:  Since in both stories Axen Moon stay behind its possible that (as Nightmare said) that he lead with Plymouth to build a second starship.  A sencond starship would likely take fewer resources to build since they would have the lessions Eden had learned from their effort (once the RLV launches the tech in Eden would be free for the taking (if we assume the colony is destroyed shortly after the launch of the RLV we can suppose that Axen to the computer files with him).  The resources needed would also be less because it wouldn't be necessary to do any prototyping.  Plymouth would also have the design for the RLV further lower the resources needed.    They could even us their newly aquired RLV to fly to the last area of the planet to be infected and thus save on having to build a new colony everytime the Blight gets close.  This "sub-orbital hopping" could even be used to access resources that would otherwise be inaccessible (i.e. those for which there is time to set up a mining base but enough time the get back to the main colony before being overrun by the Blight).  They would also have been able to salvage Eden's skydock for resources.

I think its quite possible for the surviving colony to have scrapped together enough to build a second starship or at least an interplanetary ship (New Terra shouldn't have been the only planet in the system after all).   If they managed to reach another planet in the same system they would have all the time and resources they needed to build a new starship.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2008, 12:47:19 AM by Prometheus »

Offline Combine Crusier

« Reply #64 on: February 29, 2008, 01:44:25 PM »
Hmmm. Perhaps if the Maesis starship does follow the Conestoga's vapor trail and arrives at New Terra before the entire planet is completely enveloped the Maesis
will add what the Plymouth have completed of their starship onto their own and thus allow the colonists on the ground to travel with them? Or perhaps they left and survived on the spacedock while using asteroid miners to gather materials to complete the starship.

Then again the blight can't survive extremely high temperatures. So you could use units make completely without oxygen and use them in blight territory, these vehicles would then be torched with fusion torches which would kill the blight while probably destroying the vehicle, but the matter would still be there to be salvaged.

Another concept is if the Plymouth colonists figure out a way to mine the planets mantle, we are presently drilling into the area between the crust and mantle so I don't see how that could be impossible.
Fire at will!

Offline Sirbomber

« Reply #65 on: February 29, 2008, 03:27:07 PM »
This isn't the Genesis forum Combine...

Offline Freeza-CII

• Administrator
« Reply #66 on: February 29, 2008, 05:57:04 PM »
Blight cant survive space and it was launched from space no connection to the ground.  

Offline Hidiot

« Reply #67 on: March 01, 2008, 11:32:34 AM »
I thought the blight expanded in areas that had hydrogen and oxygen. Last time I checked, space void had neither.

Although simply surviving in space is a different story. If it had what to attach itself to, it could be transported between planets.

And... what do you mean the blight was launched from space?  :huh:  I thought the blight was created in an Eden advanced lab  :unsure:  
"Nothing from nowhere, I'm no one at all"

Offline Fenrisul

« Reply #68 on: March 01, 2008, 07:09:07 PM »
Cmon now ya'll.  What the hell is wrong with you?  We all know the Blight travels thru space by using Plot Holes as a means of transportation.  Don't make me bring the diagram back.

Offline Arklon

• Administrator
« Reply #69 on: March 01, 2008, 07:55:33 PM »
Don't make me bring the diagram back.
Not much of a point bringing it back, since the thing just kinda, well, haunts you.

Offline spirit1flyer

« Reply #70 on: March 01, 2008, 08:05:29 PM »
We all know the Blight travels thru space by using Plot Holes as a means of transportation.

:lol:

I personally think the Plymys should win. So there!  :P  
"Until you stalk and overrun You can't devour anyone"

Loyal Xfir supporter

Offline Nynx

• http://on1-k.deviantart.com/
« Reply #71 on: March 02, 2008, 10:51:35 AM »
I think that its an open-ended story
From a developer stand point this is good because it allows them to make a sequel no matter what happens to the story (although in OP2's case this did not happen)

From a gamer point this is even better because no matter what happens your favorite faction wins and the game itself is like: 'Who's to say who would really win?' the two endings could be looked at as what if scenarios based on this scenarios outcome.

Personally I don't care who wins as long as humanity keeps on chugging along  :lol:

Offline Norsehound

« Reply #72 on: June 24, 2008, 09:34:15 PM »
I always thought Plymouth was the 'official' ending because of the narration during the final video. *Shrug*

Fans of Homeworld pretty much had this very same problem when all we had was the original Homeworld game. In it, one could play the SP campaign as either side (Taiidan or Kushan). Until Cataclysm was released a few years later, it was up in the air as to who the 'official' exiles (The player) really was. Cataclysm established the 'official' race as the Kushan.

However, I and some other fans feel that the Taiidani ship designs and naming conventions better fit desert-dwellers-turned-astronauts, despite official ruling to the contrary.

Regardless, any reason could be drawn up to return Eden and Plymouth back for an Outpost 3 game should it ever be considered. Maybe the adopted children leaned more towards their parents' ideas and split off some years after landfall. Who knows?

Of course, the whole point is mute if the Trading Center was built before Nygen got a hand on terraforming tech. Kudos to the Toho Aligned colonies for preventing the disaster!

:op2:
Food supply in Surplus. Power levels Optimal. Morale is Good.

Offline Derekristow

« Reply #73 on: June 25, 2008, 09:12:10 AM »
Personally, I think the Blight won,  I mean it basically screwed over the whole planet and made the other two retreat into space.  Eden seems like the logical "winner", though.  Only they had the right tech and initiative to build a proper starship. Also, once they settled down again they wouldn't just resume their old ways.  It seems like they would a little more like Plymouth after setting loose the Blight.  They would not make the same mistakes again, and would be more cautious with their decisions.  

Eventually, the Blight might even decide to make its own sort of starship, especially if it did absorb the Savants.  If there wasn't enough supplies to build a new ship (or 40) then it hardly seems like the colonists would have landed there to begin with.  

Offline Hidiot

« Reply #74 on: June 25, 2008, 02:44:04 PM »
Last time I checked, the blight wasn't a faction and it would take a looong time 'till the blight "grows a brain", so to speak, and start ordering instruments left behind by Eden and Plymouth... Enough time for mankind to rebuild itself.
"Nothing from nowhere, I'm no one at all"