Author Topic: Singled Out For Using Missles...  (Read 17791 times)

Offline Starfox00000

Singled Out For Using Missles...
« on: February 07, 2006, 08:41:16 PM »
I use EMP missles, and some people were getting pissed at me. Thats fine, and I had decided to stop/severely limit my using them. Now, I got the most flack for haveing lots of missles (the most spaceports I have ever had is 6) and EMP-ing "mining colonies" (mines with smelters and cargo trucks, and then ppl would have to reset the cargo trucks.

But recently I had been lurking around the fourms and was reading this thread http://forum.outpostuniverse.net/index.php?showtopic=2095
and found some intresting things like

Quote: OP2hacker "I've had 6 spaceports in some game..." Unquote I've never had more than 6 either.

And Quote: thablkpanda "That's how Starfox plays. Again, i hate to single out one person. But he built 6-8 spaceports on me, and would have launched had it not been for the fact I was getting beat anyway." Unquote I didn't even launch, but it seems that when McShay beat him with plymouth Quote: thablkpanda "which I recently got owned by as Eden, thinking I'd own some n00b stupid enough to play plymouth against me. (Actually wasn't a n00b, it was McShay- real cool guy, and a true Plymouth master.)" Its totally ok. Not for me though, even as an insurance policy.

And When Mcshay gets lots of space ports and uses them constantly, its also ok Quote: Mcshay "I have played many games where I can run 3-5 spaceports constantly and produce units." and "to frequently have a maxed out tank army and many spaceports at my command. If you had played any game with me a month ago, you would have had to kill me early on, or face that." and "I usualy can staff and easily produce missles for 3-6 spaceports." but It's not for me.

It's not like anyone agreed in any of these games not to use missles or anything, and if its in the game I think its a valid strategy, like Sl0vi Quote: Sl0vi "MP missiles are fine the way they are, and if ppl want to mass-produce them, well mass production is a very valid strategy, so I don't see why a limit should be put on them. However, the blind spot on meteor defences seems like a bug, and I'd say using it is an exploit :/" P.S. I never had any knowledge of the missle defense exploit and think it should be fixed.

And, Are three missles really that much?, alot of people in that thread (to many to cite, or have been cited). Look at this thread http://forum.outpostuniverse.net/index.php?showtopic=2522
In this peticular game I only used 3 missles, and there is no way I had 9 spaceports. Quote: thablkpanda "I'm speaking from experience, case in point when I played Starfox00000 yesterday. He exploited the exact Spaceport trick I mentioned." -what thrick? mass production? like everyone does with units?- "He never EMP'ed my base" and "Using only three missles".

Plus, in an even army thor/acid cloud/emp vs. esg/rpg/emp plymouth will lose, they need something extra, mabey not 4-6 missles, but when your in a high mark game with 4 ppl, and you know that it you attack one of the other 2 ppl will kill you and you at the unit limit what do you do?

That being said, I would be fine with some ground rules for all games (e.x. no more than 1 spaceport per person), increasing the build time/cost, decreasing the effect like a smaller radius mabey, or something. possibly some other rules like in the multiplayer guideline thread. In fact I support it because it would end this.

Again, I understand that people didn't like lots of missles (really, I don't want to be another moogle, I really dont want that to happen.) But like I said earlier, Is three missles really that much (Missles, not Spaceports)

Indeed I started playing eden, (the last 3 games I played I was eden). But when I saw this thread, it seems like a whole bunch of people did/do this and have no reprocussions (like getting a rep. for being cheap). Only me.

I'm really sorry but I don't think I've been unreasonable, I would support ground rules for all games or something... I didn't even really care until I read that other thread

Again, I'm really sorry for the long post and the new thread, I just think I have a right to be upset. :(

edit: thats not why I haven't been on IRC lately, just my laptop HD died and Im on my super old comp, waiting for the warrenty replacement.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2006, 08:45:28 PM by Starfox00000 »

Offline Betaray

• Administrator
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2006, 08:44:41 PM »
you are right, missles are a viable way to win the game, just as much as lynx or tigers

if the designers of op2 didnt want you to be able to use missles they would have put a limit on how many spaceports you could build
I am the nincompoop, I eat atomic bombs for breakfest, fusion bombs for lunch, and anti-matter bombs for dinner

I just hope they don't explode

Offline Sl0vi

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2006, 09:15:16 PM »
Another one of these. Let me just make this short.

Nerf the missles, then also nerf the thors!
!!!YAY!!!

Offline Arklon

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2006, 09:35:29 PM »
you are right, missles are a viable way to win the game, just as much as lynx or tigers

if the designers of op2 didnt want you to be able to use missles they would have put a limit on how many spaceports you could build
The game designers didn't intend (they probably didn't even think of this at the time) for people to build 4-6 or more spaceports and launch a massive amount of EMP missiles. Saying mass missiling is a viable way to win a game is nearly like saying that scout rushing, building guard posts at your enemy's CC, and using earthworkers to destroy your enemy's tubes are legit.

People are specifically mass missiling you, Starfox, because they're assuming you'll do the same thing.

Mass missiling has ALWAYS been considered a cheap tactic.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2006, 09:40:15 PM by Arklon »

Offline dm-horus

• Banned
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2006, 01:24:20 AM »
LOL omg you guys, seriously. when you lose or have to seriously face losing you complain but when you win using hte same tactic, you insist that everyone has to know that youre the "missile master".

i agree with starfox but i also agree with everyone else. people are fickle and will bash a tactic that kills them even if its one they prefer to use. i always get told "we didnt agree to that in the lobby" whenever i complain about cheap tactics and then get ignored. i think everyone needs to suck it up, seriously. and yeah, ill prolly complain about this in a couple days and someone will tell me to suck it up but then i can just say that i prefer to be in style :D

Offline Leviathan

« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2006, 03:48:16 AM »
well people should set rules before they start the game, then they can moan if the rules are broken. but if u dont set any rules before the game u cant moan when someone does somthing in the game.

i love missiles, u should use them to missile people mines and factorys. and of chorse their tiger's and armys then send lynx nova's in to destory their units. and the more missiles u got the more effective your attacks can be.

i like to missile my way thru the back of someones base and run some nova's in and win the game and the big army battle where having at the front of of the base dosent matter :)

whats the meteor def problem?

it may be considered a cheap tactic by some Arklon but if havnt been told u cant use it then people cant moan at you when you do.

Offline HaXtOr

• http://www.wtfmoogle.com
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2006, 08:31:02 AM »
for my multi maps im thinking on makeing it so you cant use emp missiles.. i think they are abused too much

Offline Leviathan

« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2006, 09:09:13 AM »
I remember anoying HaXtOr once when i played with him. Missiled his army then nova'ed it :P

Yea i think createing custom tech's for maps is a great idea. Remove tech and stuff. Mod away!

Offline Highlander

• Outpost 2 Elder
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2006, 11:06:13 AM »
Mass missiling has ALWAYS been considered a cheap tactic.

Really Arklon ? "ALWAYS" might be a bit strong word here.. ? I have never heard of Mass Missiling being considered a cheap tactic before some guys brought it up not long ago..

There can be Only one. Wipe Them out. All of Them.

Old player still playing. Visit Spark for a game of Outpost 2

Offline Leviathan

« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2006, 12:24:23 PM »
I agree. I never herd it either realy.

I used to play on WON as did Highlander, but Highlander actualy played for longer than me, and when WON was big.

Offline HaXtOr

• http://www.wtfmoogle.com
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2006, 01:25:17 PM »
I think that useing missles is a very cheep tactic, its like saying that you dont know how to command your armys properly and stratigize or defend yourself.

If your going to emp you might as well be playing agenst a ai that is dead. there is no skill involved

Offline Leviathan

« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2006, 01:38:25 PM »
There is skill involved. When you are about to get EMPed you gottta EMP your tigers with ur lynx EMP's so the EMP wears off quicker than the EMP of a missle. Also if your driving in nova's you need to get them in before the other player can get something there to stop it. Timeing is key. Skill it takes.

Offline BlackBox

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2006, 02:52:42 PM »
I really think whether the missiles can be considered a cheap tactic is up to the players playing in the game. If you don't like the idea of EMP missiles, make rules before you start.

As for the meteor defense not blocking all EMP missiles. This isn't a bug. It's designed to not have a 100% success rate. I believe there's a research you can do to improve its effectiveness. Also, it's designed for destroying meteors, not missiles (not sure if that's by design, but do think about it. Meteors come in at an angle, and slower than, EMP missiles)

Bottom line is, make rules before the game if you don't want people to use missiles. Otherwise, consider any strategy valid.

Offline Leviathan

« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2006, 02:59:48 PM »
Yeah.

I remember on WON before a land rush game you would set the build mark of chorse and make sure eveyone knew that.

But we did also ban cheap strategy. Thos strategy's were using earthworkers to take down people tubes and scout rushing. Before the game started we would say these are baned to make sure no one did it.

If you dont set any rules before the game starts then people cant break any rules :P Set rules before hand!

Rock on missiles!

Offline Stormy

• http://www.op3game.net
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2006, 09:18:19 PM »
I agree with that :)

Here's an idea... before (or while it is loading) a game starts, have OP2 remind the players about the game rules.. etc. This way, ppl will remember to discuss it beforehand.. or if pops up during loading, to ask once the game starts. :)
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·
3D artist in Blender, MS3D, and Terragen.
Trying to get good with Scene composition and lighting.

Offline Freeza-CII

• Administrator
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2006, 10:56:58 PM »
Take away the thors becuase the missile is gone that is sad.  You people need to get over the fact that thor and emp is really the only good units eden has.  Ply has ESG EMP RPG NOVA and sticky.   Rail guns suck flares are fine laser are ok but only on a fast lynx acid does damage but not much on the heavier units plus it has self damage where a ESG does not with dont make much sence to me beacause there f***ing land mines.  EMP can reach any where on the map and it doesnt have to move thors have to move they are a unit.  The thor is not the mighty rape all weapon.

Offline Tellaris

« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2006, 12:29:16 AM »
I never worry about Plmouth mass missiling.   Firstly, I have TWO observatories, minimum.   I build plenty of meteor defense.   I know how to command my armies to prevent the entire force from being disabled.   I've never lost to mass missilers before.
Its all about skill and tactics.   You have to be careful.   While emping your own army does help, its not the end all tactic.   There are plenty of other ways to protect yourself.

One example I'm going to give.
You got large tiger army, completely emped.   They send in nova lynx to kill your army.
You SHOULD have, I'll say again, SHOULD HAVE AT LEAST 6 LYNX AWAY FROM THE MAIN FOCE.   What should they be?   3 EMP, 3 Thor/ESG.   EMPs will stop the novas in their tracks, ESG/Thor will kill anything that gets by.

As for emping ore, while incredibly annoying, its more of a waste for the missiler then it is for you.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2006, 12:32:14 AM by Baikon »
Spell Checker!   The PoWeR tOoL
Click Here For Coolness
Self Proclaimed OPU Help desk.

Offline Sl0vi

« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2006, 06:54:14 AM »
Freeza, so what if Plymouth has ESG/RPG/Nova, when they lose to a thor/acid army anyway... Sure Plymouth has more good units, but Edens best units are way better then Plymouths.
!!!YAY!!!

Offline Highlander

• Outpost 2 Elder
« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2006, 11:01:35 AM »
Finally someone who has his facts right  (thumbsup)  
There can be Only one. Wipe Them out. All of Them.

Old player still playing. Visit Spark for a game of Outpost 2

Offline TH300

• http://op3game.net
« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2006, 01:12:20 PM »
Thor might be the overall best unit, but its also the most expensive.

Offline Freeza-CII

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: February 09, 2006, 01:20:01 PM »
well alls i am going to say is if the emp missile is removed ply should get a new unit.  You cant remove any eden units because it would cripple eden.  putting more production time on emp missiles would be nice but would not stop multibombing.

thor is a hard hitting weapon but it doesnt have great area damage that ESG or Acid has  Acid doesnt seem to have as good as damage as esg either.

Offline BlackBox

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: February 09, 2006, 02:44:33 PM »
Couple those ESGs/RPGs with EMPs and they'll stop the thors dead in their tracks.

I can remember a game where my opponent had all thors, and I had about 50/50 microwaves / EMPs, and I easily beat the army of thors due to the EMP. (EMP disabled them and then the microwaves took care of them)

Offline Freeza-CII

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: February 09, 2006, 02:54:25 PM »
exactly the thor can be defeated with out the use of EMP missiles

Offline Arklon

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: February 09, 2006, 03:21:46 PM »
If we had OP2's engine source (which we don't D:), we could've made it so that you could only have X number of EMP missiles being produced and on launch pad at the same time.

Offline Sirbomber

« Reply #24 on: February 09, 2006, 03:51:47 PM »
The Meteor Defense exploit/bug/whatever is:
http://forum.outpostuniverse.net/index.ph...topic=2095&st=0
"As usual, colonist opinion is split between those who think the plague is a good idea, and those who are dying from it." - Outpost Evening Star

Outpost 2 Coding 101 Tutorials