Author Topic: Power Generation In Op2/3  (Read 9117 times)

Offline Betaray

• Administrator
Power Generation In Op2/3
« Reply #50 on: November 27, 2005, 05:51:51 PM »
I thought it was just common physics sence, when antimatter touches regular matter, they annilate eachother produceing pure energy, in for form of gama rays

that site probly isnt the best, it was just the first site on a google search
I am the nincompoop, I eat atomic bombs for breakfest, fusion bombs for lunch, and anti-matter bombs for dinner

I just hope they don't explode

Offline Hooman

• Administrator
« Reply #51 on: November 27, 2005, 10:34:59 PM »
Yeah that's all fine and dandy provided you believe antimatter really exists. I think the whole idea just sounds a bit suspect. I've only ever really heard about it in sci-fi, and places on the internet that I wouldn't trust much. It's not exactly easy to be sure of anyone's credentials on the internet. Nor is there any sort of accountability, since if you make a remark on the internet (and really have a PHD in physics) it's not gonna ruin your career. But ifyou made some false remark in some reputable science jornal and have your name stuck to it, well, it's a little different.

So yeah, I'm a little hesitant to believe there is such a thing as anti-matter. Without such a belief, it's not so obvious what's gonna happen with that positron. I guess that's basically what I'm trying to say. Although, that reaction you posted a link to was rather nice and informative to see. That wasn't something I was familiar with. (Although, I have a strange feeling I may have seen something like it before). Anyways, thanks for that one.

Offline Betaray

• Administrator
« Reply #52 on: November 27, 2005, 10:59:30 PM »
Antimatter is such a staple of science fiction that many people believe that it is science fiction, but antimatter is real.  We don't ordinarily encounter it in daily life because the universe, or at least our region of it, was created with an excess of ordinary matter over antimatter.  Thus all teh antimatter (or all the antimatter in our galaxy) has been annihilated, leaving nothing but the common stuff.  But, as a result of the fact that energy can also be turned into matter in accord with the Einstein formula, evanescent antiparticles are created by cosmic-ray impacts with the Earth's atmosphere.  We have also heen able to create antiparticles in high-energy accelerators and have succeeded in combining antiprotons with antielectrons (or positrons) to produce antihydrogen atoms.  These antihydrogen atoms have been furthercombined togather to form antihydrogen molecules.  Antiprotons can be stored in special jars called "Penning traps" in which magnetic fields are used to keep the ions from hitting the wall (where they would annihilate).  In this way, up to several million antiprotons at a time can be stored for extended periods.  Using big collection rings at leading high-energy physics accelator facilities such as Fermilab and CERN, up to a trillion antiprotons at a time have been collected.  This represents about 1.7 picograms (a picogram is a trillionth of a gram) of antimatter.  If this much antimatter were allowed to annihilate, it would release about 300 joules (J) of energy, enough to light a 60-W light bulb for 5 seconds.  Tiny amounts of antihydrogen atoms and molecules have also been confined, using the pushing power of lasers to herd them away from the chamber walls.

I am the nincompoop, I eat atomic bombs for breakfest, fusion bombs for lunch, and anti-matter bombs for dinner

I just hope they don't explode

Offline dm-horus

• Banned
« Reply #53 on: November 28, 2005, 05:27:24 PM »
for every particle there is an antiparticle. so, not just matter but for energy as well as gravity. although the existance of most of these is theoretical since the nature of antiparticles is such that our means (utilizing matter, namely in our detectors and how we perceive reality) of capturing or detecting them is ineffective or sometimes impossible. Certain antiparticles are detectable in particle accelerators and this is why it was such a shame that the massive supercollider project was cancelled. I believe ive heard about a french project that is twice as large is being developed and the types of matter/particles/etc that will be detected using it should be impressive.

Offline Freeza-CII

• Administrator
« Reply #54 on: November 29, 2005, 11:51:45 AM »
basicly power generation works in magical and mysterious ways in outpost universe and once it is found out that its powered by serveral thousand hamster wheels the universe will end and the outpost universe will colapse on itself and become one singularity of Outpostism lol

Offline leeor_net

• Administrator
  • OPHD Lead Developer
    • LairWorks Entertainment
« Reply #55 on: November 29, 2005, 06:49:00 PM »
I was reading through and noted that DM-Horus was told by someone that OP3 was OP2 in 3D and that it was possibly Harky that said this.

As far as I know, Harky is not part of OP3's development team.

Second, OP3 is not at all OP2 in 3D. That's Levi's idea and something that he may want to take on at a later time (Levi, I know that you wanted to use another 3D RTS engine but OP3's may work better for you when it's done!).

OP3 is a new story alltogether.

As far as why they landed on a hostile planet, DM-Horus was pretty much on the right track when he said "something unforseen may have happened that caused them to land on a non-ideal planet". That is very much the case.

Furhter, some of OP1's planets weren't realistic. I know that... It does state in its manual that it is based on Science Fact not that it is Science Fact.

Also, OP3 will be looking back a little bit ... well... a lot at OP1. Not in its gameplay but in its backstory and several method's and that kind of thing. After we clear up these posts stormy, myself, TH300 and Zanco will release more information about what OP3 will really be like.

OP3 is also based on Science Fact but it is very heavily influenced by science fiction. And no, there won't be any new 'features' like the shields you see in Star Trek and Star Wars and that kind of thing (I remember someone mentioning something like that). There is shield of some sort but it is nowhere near that kind of technology.

... Oh yeah, I think Hooman was asking about OP3 being strictly based on a single planet in terms of gameplay (like OP2). No... it's not. The maps are not hard-coded to work the way we want them to. Textures and materials used on the map are entirely customizable by any user and easily done at that. There will be several planet 'styles' available so that new user-defined maps can be created that may not have been used for the campaigns (for instance, I don't think there are going to be any ice or icecap maps for the campaigns but the style will certainly be available). Also, if there is a maptype that's not available it will be easy enough to add the style to the game by adding it to the 'Logic Module' (to be described in another post).

Just thought I'd get that out of the way a bit... Hopefully I've answered more questions than I've created. Until next time!