Poll

Would a Outpost MOD on Warcraft III work out well?

Yes!
12 (32.4%)
Maybe.
6 (16.2%)
No!
15 (40.5%)
I don't know.
4 (10.8%)

Total Members Voted: 35

Author Topic: A Outpost MOD On Warcraft III  (Read 10419 times)

Offline neo_drol

A Outpost MOD On Warcraft III
« on: August 25, 2005, 07:51:45 AM »
I aksed a little bit on Warcraft III (W3) modding forums about modding W3 to OP. They say that, in the coding ( morale disaster etc.) it can be done quiet easely. The only problem is, the moddeling & skinning. Aldough, Making a OPW3 mod would be hard in the way of giving the real outpost feeling, becuase W3 is a fantasy game. So, what do you think about making a Oupost mod, On warcraft 3?
And I hang my boots to rest when I'm impressed
So I triple knot them then I forgot them
This origami dream is beautiful
but man those wings will never leave the ground
Without a feather and a lottery ticket, now settle down

Offline zigzagjoe

« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2005, 07:55:22 AM »
meh...i would work with the current engine and makes maps etc.bit more feasible then making a another one, which needs maps and dlls etc. i wouldnt waste ur time 'porting' op2 to w3.

Offline neo_drol

« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2005, 07:57:30 AM »
but this way you got the graphics a little up-to-date, and, you have a MUCH better A.I.

And, you can use triggers....
« Last Edit: August 25, 2005, 07:59:11 AM by neo_drol »

Offline zigzagjoe

« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2005, 08:03:52 AM »
uhh, the graphics wouldnt change if it was a 'port' of op2
and we can update the graphics in op2 by editing the op2art file. does wc3 even have ranged weaps like op2?

(and could you bring hackers atention to the shoutbox? ty)

« Last Edit: August 25, 2005, 08:05:11 AM by zigzagjoe »

Offline neo_drol

« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2005, 08:08:15 AM »
You can change opuart, but, it wouldn't make it 3d..... and give it a higher resolution etc.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2005, 08:09:05 AM by neo_drol »

Offline Hooman

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2005, 08:41:12 AM »
You'd still need someone able and willing to make the new graphics. Heck, you'd probably need a team of skilled people with lots of time on their hands.

Plus, wouldn't you need the WC3 engine to play? I don't exactly have that, not would it likely ever run on my computer.

Offline TH300

• http://op3game.net
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2005, 09:59:53 AM »
it can probably be done, but I don't want to buy warcraft in order to play the next Outpost game.

Offline Highlander

• Outpost 2 Elder
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2005, 11:12:29 AM »
Though the idea is good in itself I can't exactly say I like the idea.

I doubt it would be worth the time and effort to make WC3 look like OP2.

It's all the small parts that make OP2 interesting. Like Day & Night, tubes to all buildings, Research etc, which makes OP2 different from all the other games.

Just my thoughts..

But hey, great effort on trying! I appreciate anyone who looks for new solutions  (thumbsup)  
There can be Only one. Wipe Them out. All of Them.

Old player still playing. Visit Spark for a game of Outpost 2

Offline leeor_net

• Administrator
  • OPHD Lead Developer
    • LairWorks Entertainment
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2005, 06:36:21 PM »
Why is it that many good suggestions are shot down out of the sky before they even have a chance to be thought about? I find it very frustrating and I think it's a serious turn-off to any user who makes a suggestion.

Now, I think it's a great idea. I've considered it myself. As far as modelling/skinning/textures/interface graphics, these are all things that I can either do or point you in the right direction toward finding the right people.

I'm stretched a little thin when it comes to coding but again, I can point you in the right direction to find someone who can do the coding.

Lastly, what skills would you be able to bring to a project like that?
« Last Edit: August 25, 2005, 06:47:22 PM by leeor_net »

Offline Freeza-CII

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2005, 09:15:46 PM »
Guess what i cant vote because you dont have a f*** no on there.  I think that we would try not to be like every one else and use a generic 3d engine just because you think its a great game.

Offline Freeza-CII

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2005, 09:29:45 PM »
Oh yes also all the people that have older computer would have to update to play that so bad idea.

Offline leeor_net

• Administrator
  • OPHD Lead Developer
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2005, 10:30:59 PM »
« Last Edit: October 14, 2016, 10:15:37 PM by leeor_net »

Offline it2000us

« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2005, 10:24:24 PM »
I think you guys should stop asking every one if we want a mod or not. Of course we want a mod, so stop asking, stop making pointles pools and just do it.

In all the time I've been here all you people do is ask and then not do anything. So if you want something done then just do it. You dont need to ask.

Offline Ezekel

• http://ezekel.deviantart.com
« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2005, 05:51:33 AM »
I aksed a little bit on Warcraft III (W3) modding forums about modding W3 to OP. They say that, in the coding ( morale disaster etc.) it can be done quiet easely. The only problem is, the moddeling & skinning. Aldough, Making a OPW3 mod would be hard in the way of giving the real outpost feeling, becuase W3 is a fantasy game. So, what do you think about making a Oupost mod, On warcraft 3?
well even though its a fantasy game, it does have pretty good "desolate" looking map tiles.
(especially the drenoaran tile set... yeh i know i spelt that wrong, but i haven't had to spell it since i was playing warcraft2 so :P )

also, there are many user made TD maps with towers they created that look like Tesla Coils and machine guns, and other tech related things.

one thing i think could be a prob though might be the building structure kits+loading them into convecs.

i think it could be done though - regardless that the game itself is a fantasy game.
My mind is quicker then your eyes!

Never fight what you cannot see!!!

----------------------------------------------

The sleeper has awakened... and boy what a hangover!

Offline leeor_net

• Administrator
  • OPHD Lead Developer
« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2005, 09:19:03 AM »
Well, provided that OP3:Genesis works out the way I plan it, there won't be a need for mods to other games. Want a mod for OP3? Just get the SDK and compile away! Heh... of course, that will happen later on down the line as the engine begins to take shape.

Offline Stormy

• http://www.op3game.net
« Reply #15 on: November 24, 2005, 12:10:23 AM »
Well, provided that OP3:Genesis works out the way I plan it, there won't be a need for mods to other games. Want a mod for OP3? Just get the SDK and compile away! Heh... of course, that will happen later on down the line as the engine begins to take shape.
Yea... quite a bit away :P

Boy, I can't wait to get further...
(I wish we didn't have to sleep -_-)

`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·
3D artist in Blender, MS3D, and Terragen.
Trying to get good with Scene composition and lighting.

Offline Betaray

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: November 24, 2005, 12:25:29 AM »
thing is, we know how op2 runs pretty well, who here knows WC3 codeing as well as they know op2 codeing?

now if somone can do it, than im all for it, spread op2 to the masses, and I know that more people have WC3 than Op2, so releacing an op2 patch on the internet would defonatly help our comunity

as for 3d buildings and units, dont we have a couple people already working on that? once their done I bet they would be happy to share them with any 3d outpost project (as long as they get in the credits of corse lol)
I am the nincompoop, I eat atomic bombs for breakfest, fusion bombs for lunch, and anti-matter bombs for dinner

I just hope they don't explode

Offline Sirbomber

« Reply #17 on: November 24, 2005, 07:48:42 AM »
I don't think I could mod WC3. Not yet anyways. I might be able to make an OP2 map on WC3 though. And I'd probably lose interest half-way through becasue, unless WC3 has laser cannons, microwave pulse beams, rail gun projectors, rpg, esg, emp, stickyfoam, and acid cloud launchers, energy rifles, afrtifical lightning systems, starflares, supernovas, EMP Missiles, and space to put all of the possible buildings, vehicles, and research, it'd be quite near impossible.

In build/research menus that is.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2005, 07:49:16 AM by Sirbomber »
"As usual, colonist opinion is split between those who think the plague is a good idea, and those who are dying from it." - Outpost Evening Star

Outpost 2 Coding 101 Tutorials

Offline leeor_net

• Administrator
  • OPHD Lead Developer
« Reply #18 on: December 22, 2005, 03:12:35 PM »
Ok. I'd like to make EVERYONE aware that games made by ID and Blizzard are EXTREMELY EASY TO MODIFY.

As far as weapons are concerned, maybe the code for a laser-style weapon isn't already there. But guess what? If you can program your way out of a bag than you can add laser weapons! It's a simple matter of projecting a line along a directional vector!

You want mines? Great! Modify the gold mines! They're already there! All you need to do is add vehicle interaction. Boo-freakity-hoo.

Moving on further, I hear a lot of whining about this that and the other thing. As it2000us put it, who cares what anyone else says? Just freaking do it. When I started OP:MIA I wasn't looking for support. I wasn't looking to do it for anyone else. I just wanted a playable game for myself. Period. You want a WCIII mod? Do it. You need help? Ask for it.

Also, if you can't play WCIII because your computer sucks, get a new one. Better yet, you NEED a new one. WCIII doesn't exactly have the highest of requirements and if you can't run it than you're working in the stone age. Upgrade. Now. You need it.

Also, if you can't run WCIII than you DEFINATLY will not be able to run OP3. Where are the complaints for that project?

And yet another note: has anyone heard from neo_drol, the original poster? Nope. Thanks guys for scaring him away.

And, if neo_drol happens to read this post, you are free to use the models/skins that we have created thus far for OP3. I can't help out with coding but I can at least point you in the right direction and offer you what we've done so far.

I can't help be be a little peaved. We're not trying to get people to run away as fast as they can be being a bunch of asses (some more than others). If someone posts a suggestion, ask them how they plan to do it rather than stating how they can't do it. The first part of a failed project is the tell the starter that it's not work even trying. The only reason OP3 is continuing right now is because I like to ignore people that tell me that not only can I not 'do it' but exactly why it will fail. To them, bah. Go suck an egg. OP3 will be completed and that's the end of it.

As far as an OP2 mod for WarCraft III, I think it's one of the best ideas I've ever heard. You want new users? You want a larger community? You want to attract new users to the community? Then why turn them away? If you're a programmer sitting on your thumb saying that you don't know how to code for WCIII, go look up WCIII modding info on google. I garantee there's tons of it all over the place. Sitting on your ass saying you don't know something is meaningless. Great. We know that. Now go do something about it.

Had I not been involved in OP3 I would have already started this Mod and would probably be already half finished (at least from the coding end). It's all already there, it's a matter of adding bits and pieces here and there and creating some new graphics sets.

Alright. I think I've said all I need to now.

As CK9 said, take this how you want. I'm stating it as an obvious ram it down your throat so you get the message type deal because it seems like people are more interested in complaining about how their butt hurts rather than getting excited about something new. And THAT is why we're losing members faster than we can blink an eye.

And finally, NOTHING is impossible. EVER. There is ALWAYS a way to do anything.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2005, 03:14:27 PM by leeor_net »

Offline Sirbomber

« Reply #19 on: December 22, 2005, 05:03:03 PM »
Well forgive me for making a joking comment and not knowing anything about programming. And thank you for insulting my intelligence, I never get tired of that.
"As usual, colonist opinion is split between those who think the plague is a good idea, and those who are dying from it." - Outpost Evening Star

Outpost 2 Coding 101 Tutorials

Offline dm-horus

• Banned
« Reply #20 on: December 22, 2005, 05:31:56 PM »
lol. i like how mod ideas not made by me get lots of attention. but at least some ppl are being consistent. stormy still referencing himself and mentioning 3d models and leeor assuming everyone likes op3.

believe it or not, opu doesnt exist solely as an op3 forum. yur not the hottest thing around, not to be rude.

i also dont like how op3 members are usually the first (or at least the most vocal) to shoot down other ppls ideas. some of u really need an attitude check.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2005, 05:33:13 PM by dm-horus »

Offline leeor_net

• Administrator
  • OPHD Lead Developer
« Reply #21 on: December 22, 2005, 09:32:46 PM »
I'm not sure where I was the one shooting down ideas.

I get a hot head sometimes and I do apologize. But my point about saying things are 'impossible' stands. Nothing is impossible and it's not the first time I've heard someone say "that's impossible, don't bother".

I'd also like to point out that at the time that this post was started OP3 was still only a general idea. ANd I'm not assuming that anybody likes it. THe only person that I know for sure likes it is me and I guess that's all that really counts (it's what drives me forward). I'd also like to point out that OP3 is not the only project I'm working on, it's only the most active right now.

Also, I don't find myself to be hot s*** but I get very aggrivated when someone comes forth with an idea and it gets shot to pieces before it even has a chance to be looked at. Then the member that posts the idea disappears because of the various post like "I think it's a stupid idea" or "no one will play it because their computer isn't good enough" or "you should learn to code for OP2 before doing anything else".

I only used OP3 as a reference, not as a standard. So I hope I'm not being misunderstood that I believe OP3 is the end-all uber-s*** most awesome super duper project. There are plenty of projects that far surpass OP3. I just believe in it.

Anyway, I'm hearing from some friends of mine that I tend to lose it more frequently than I should. I assume they're right. After all, if I never believed anyone I'd never progress anywhere.

The problem I have is tact. I'm terrible with it. I really am so I don't really want anyone to take personal offense... although I think I've already crossed those bounds. I was reading through the posts and got passionate, lost my cool and posted whatever came to my head.

The only favor that I ask now is that when I step out of line let me know. I need to know that because I tend to take a lousy day and project it somewhere else and it's not fair (listing to a bunch of old people yelling at me about why it's my fault that Medicare Part D sucks can really be a burden)... so again. It's not personal just redirected frustration (and no, I don't believe it's fair so really tell me when I'm out of line)...
« Last Edit: December 22, 2005, 09:37:40 PM by leeor_net »

Offline Freeza-CII

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: December 23, 2005, 02:22:17 AM »
People try to keep it nice.

Offline dm-horus

• Banned
« Reply #23 on: December 23, 2005, 02:56:20 AM »
and try not to judge a new idea based on when some1 joined...

this place could use some fresh ideas and if nothing else, a wc3 mod would at least get the word out about op2. whether or not it bombs is a risk everybody here takes anyway (op3).

and to be fair, we have wasted a considerable amount of time and energy bickering about stuff that isnt even on topic. seeing a thread about a mod isnt the time or place to post a thinly veiled advert for your own project. this also isnt the place for forum etiquette speeches or personal grudges. and nobody should tell anyone *NOT* to post in the forum for any reason other than obscenity or tos violations. asking about a mod doesnt violate this.

i would be VERY pleased to see a mod based on op2 get COMPLETELY made. i dont know how many ppl here would play it but im sure if it was there many members would give it a go and would have a place on someones ftp.

if you need any help, by all means ask me. i can offer to help with game design, site design and ftp hosting.

Offline leeor_net

• Administrator
  • OPHD Lead Developer
« Reply #24 on: December 23, 2005, 03:31:16 AM »
I know I would probably play it. I love WarCraft III and I've always loved OP2 (don't play multiplayer on OPU for reasons already stated long ago) and I do agree that it would get the word out among other gamers of the OUTPOST series (and possibly revive some interest in it).

I'm unsure if you're understand or not, DM-Horus so I just want to make sure that you know that I'm fully supportive of this project and have been since it was first asked about (actually I've been trying to get in touch with neo_drol to see if he was still interested in this project. he seemed willing to learn the coding for it.). I'd like to let him use our source models of the various OP2 structures that we have so far. It's not a full mod but it's a start.

And as a final note, I don't think I really have a grudge against anyone I just react poorly to certain things. I guess I don't like hearing how impossible things are and would rather hear what can be done to make something possible (stems back to a far away place in my past that I can't seem to let go of for one reason or another).