Author Topic: New Op2 Units?  (Read 2667 times)

Offline instigator

New Op2 Units?
« on: August 12, 2005, 08:03:00 PM »
Hey what do u think about new units for op2? Im sure people have thought of it. Hmmm what about 'air' units. Lets try a bomber that stays in the air by magnetic fields (cuz there is no atmosphere) or soemthing like that. In some cases maybe we souldnt be able see the enemy at all and have something like the 'fog of war' so we have to scout out the area with something fast. that way we could use 'night and day' more often for stealthy surprise attacks.

I think unmarked landmines would also be something. scouts could be adapted to sense these mines when they come up onto them. this would definitly give the scout some more use in multi. what about more uses for the scout? id say build a special one that can hack into a enemy lab its next to and steal technology (or destroy it so the enemy has to research it again)

Ok I better stop here b4 i get to be to long. any speculative thoughts?

Offline Eddy-B

• http://www.eddy-b.com
New Op2 Units?
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2005, 06:53:00 AM »
Hey what do u think about new units for op2? Im sure people have thought of it. Hmmm what about 'air' units. Lets try a bomber that stays in the air by magnetic fields (cuz there is no atmosphere) or soemthing like that. In some cases maybe we souldnt be able see the enemy at all and have something like the 'fog of war' so we have to scout out the area with something fast. that way we could use 'night and day' more often for stealthy surprise attacks.
New units: Yes, we thought about it -specially me- but it seems that op2 can't be modified to include new units at this moment. It would mean almost completely rewriting the game engine to include units you sugguest.

I think unmarked landmines would also be something. scouts could be adapted to sense these mines when they come up onto them. this would definitly give the scout some more use in multi. what about more uses for the scout? id say build a special one that can hack into a enemy lab its next to and steal technology (or destroy it so the enemy has to research it again)
It is theoretically possible for single-player missions to include groundmines {Thanx for the suggestion :D}, but again, adding NEW commands for units (eg. "LAY MINE") would again mean rewriting the game engine, and no one is looking forward to that, specially since we do not have the op2 source code.

If you are a c++ coder, please go to the coding section on this forum, and read up what we have maganed to change in op2.
Rule #1:  Eddy is always right
Rule #2: If you think he's wrong, see rule #1
--------------------

Outpost : Renegades - Eddy-B.com - Electronics Pit[/siz

Offline zigzagjoe

New Op2 Units?
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2005, 09:59:50 AM »
the only way can you can 'add' new units is if you replace existing units, and even then its limited what you can do. Also, pls dont post the same thing in 2 forums pls thx.

Offline instigator

New Op2 Units?
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2005, 11:44:44 AM »
Hey zzj yeah sorry about that, I put the thread in the wrong forum and I didnt know how to delete it.

Eddy:
I am no coder or anything so i dont know what it takes to change things. but couldnt you copy the dll or whatever that makes a button work a certain way and rename it to do something else? (ha! lol, i know its not that simple)

ok here is something: I know that if a Gorf facility is not active then a cargo truck cannot salvage rubble. It doesn't have the option. But if you activate the Gorf then a new button appears in the cargo truck's menu alowing it to salvage. maybe that will spark an idea...

and have you guys tried to contact Sierra for the original game code? wouldn't hurt to try, im sure they have it somewhere in thier archives as obsolete code.

P.S. I know I am a noob but maybe u guys need somebody fresh to think about stuff (even if its been thought of before :heh: ). Hopefully I can spark some ideas for the future. I want to help with op2 in any way I can.  

Offline TH300

• http://op3game.net
New Op2 Units?
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2005, 11:59:05 AM »
... and just another one who wants to mod the game.

I don't need air units and I don't want fog of war. I like op2's gameplay and don't want it to change. Landmines are probably ok, since they don't alter gameplay too much. The new tilesets btw are also fine, because gameplay isn't effected by them at all.

Outpost2 is not C&C - and that is good.

Offline zigzagjoe

New Op2 Units?
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2005, 02:54:05 PM »
the source was supposedly 'destroyed' , so we are limited in what we can do.(personlly i dont buy this, but oh well) serria is nothing more than a brand now btw. landmines would be a interesting concept, but it'ld have to be a mission specific thing prolly. the use would be fairly limited imo, as we already have esgs[time-limited mines]. we might be able to modify the esg tho for something of the sort tho.  

Offline BlackBox

• Administrator
New Op2 Units?
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2005, 02:16:48 PM »
For single missions, to change how a unit works isn't too much. We've figured out enough to change the parameters of a unit, by doing memory hacking. But we don't know everything yet. (So we're still sorta limited in what we can do)

Hiding ESG mines wouldn't be that hard... just prevent the game from drawing them. However 'showing' them with scouts, etc wouldn't really work. (not without adding more code at least).

As for adding new units, like said above, we don't know nearly enough to do it yet. If we knew more how the units handle commands, etc we could do a lot more.

Offline Betaray

• Administrator
New Op2 Units?
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2005, 08:45:19 PM »
but if we ever find out how to do it, I would strongly recomend you put in the seed/robo coloney that ive been pushing for the last 3-4 years
I am the nincompoop, I eat atomic bombs for breakfest, fusion bombs for lunch, and anti-matter bombs for dinner

I just hope they don't explode

Offline instigator

New Op2 Units?
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2005, 10:02:21 AM »
Hey im goind to have to agree with TH300. The actuall game should not be changed like that. If new units were made then they would be better off in a special campaign mission and not available for multi.

hey cool that the landmine thing stuck....yeah we already have ESGs, but i was thinking of a permanent one that was hidded. but again.... better for special missions.

Offline Freeza-CII

• Administrator
New Op2 Units?
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2005, 11:59:38 AM »
What you have is a Few new unit for multi that cost mega but are slow but can take out a panther with one shot.  Like a Artillery unit Long range slow as hell and a little weak in the armore because of the big f***ing gun.  And maybe that heavy Laser/Mic I heard about a few times Again slow a armore weak because of the big gun.   These new weapon would also have very slow recharge/reload rate.   also these units could possibly have a limit on them im not sure.  But if your just going to make new units for single player you might as well put them in multi because some one will eventually do it.  Besides new units would mean the ai might need to be change?  Any way Put new units in multi.

OH ya the Fog of war Blow if its put into op2 ill lose all hope in humanity and kill every one i see.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2005, 12:03:29 PM by Freeza-CII »

Offline Eddy-B

• http://www.eddy-b.com
New Op2 Units?
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2005, 12:37:36 PM »
OH ya the Fog of war Blow if its put into op2 ill lose all hope in humanity and kill every one i see.
maybe u better move back up north ... :P
Rule #1:  Eddy is always right
Rule #2: If you think he's wrong, see rule #1
--------------------

Outpost : Renegades - Eddy-B.com - Electronics Pit[/siz

Offline Freeza-CII

• Administrator
New Op2 Units?
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2005, 12:47:44 PM »
see now that just isnt nice.  the only way ill go back north is in a pine box and if any one kills me ill haunt there ass and no power of crist will save you :P

Offline Betaray

• Administrator
New Op2 Units?
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2005, 11:30:24 AM »
nasty words for a paperbag with a smily face lol

it does kinda clash
I am the nincompoop, I eat atomic bombs for breakfest, fusion bombs for lunch, and anti-matter bombs for dinner

I just hope they don't explode

Offline instigator

New Op2 Units?
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2005, 06:08:21 PM »
Hmm well it seems like I have got my answer about new units.... leave it alone! Yeah well cool and everything for special missions but... im over it.

I consider this thread closed unless someone else brings up another discussion on new op2 units.

Offline BlackBox

• Administrator
New Op2 Units?
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2005, 06:29:52 PM »
Alright, the thread has been closed.