Author Topic: Multiplayer Game Speeds  (Read 9333 times)

Offline leeor_net

• Administrator
  • OPHD Lead Developer
    • LairWorks Entertainment
Multiplayer Game Speeds
« on: July 28, 2005, 10:06:02 AM »
I've recently entered into a few games with other users on mIRC. So far, Stormy has been the only one to understand that I havn't played in many years and thus am extremely 'rusty' in the game.

What I don't understand is why when I say that I'm completely n00b that some people say 'ok' and then set the game to ultra-fast mode and then rape me with thor's hammer's on Tiger chasis when I still only have laser lynx's... and this is less than 10 minuts into the game.

I've also watched a few of the videos from several players and it scares me how fast one has to click around the screen in order to have a chance at success.

The problem I have is that I don't find it fun in the slightest to engage in a race of who has the better location and who can click the fasted. It's not fun. And to be destroyed after only a few minuts of play, and not just taken out, I mean having the floor wiped with *ME*.

It's this sort of thing that makes me not want to have anything to do with OP2 anymore... and it's one of my absolute favorite games. It's not a pleasant feeling and I thought I would make people aware that there are players out there that are either new to the game or who don't want to do the click race.

On a positive note, it's good to see the number of users on Hamachi (IRC seems deadish).

Offline TH300

• http://op3game.net
Multiplayer Game Speeds
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2005, 12:20:30 PM »
I don't like that most games are about speed either. But there's a rather simple solution: set gamespeed to 5 (or even slower). I didn't ever play at speed over 5 before my first multi-game against Leviathan and enjoyed it more than I do now.

Offline Sl0vi

Multiplayer Game Speeds
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2005, 08:50:25 PM »
You know... posts like this are slowly starting to annoy me. People are constantly posting about how they are not fast enough AND THEN BLAME OTHERS!

I mean, I understand you like slower games, and are a bit rusty, but there is no reason to whine about it on the forums.

If you want to have an attack mark, or certain game speed, discuss it with the ones your playing with! It get's annoying hearing constant complaints on the forum! Most players that I have played with have the descensy to follow the rules that are agreed upon. I've heard many other players say that they like slower games too, why not try to set up a game with them instead?

sorry if I sounded rude, but I am kinda tired of hearing this over and over...
!!!YAY!!!

Offline Stormy

• http://www.op3game.net
Multiplayer Game Speeds
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2005, 12:47:06 AM »
The style of games i like to play SOOOOOO much better than rush, is the LONG ones lasting past mark 1000 or more. You can have a MASSIVE battle, and everyone has a chance to play, and help make a difference (if its a team game).. regardless of their speed..
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·
3D artist in Blender, MS3D, and Terragen.
Trying to get good with Scene composition and lighting.

Offline leeor_net

• Administrator
  • OPHD Lead Developer
Multiplayer Game Speeds
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2005, 01:53:51 AM »
My point in posting this, Sl0vi, is simply this:

I would explain that I am rusty and do not like the click races. The other player would say fine and whatnot. Then the game speed would be changed to 10. I would change it back to five and it would go back to ten.

When I would leave the game because of this, and then I'M the one who's being a sore loser.

I said it on IRC to Panther, and I'll say it again. I don't like not being able to play fast and when someone says they'll play on a level of 5 or even 6, they refuse to and set the game to 10 anyway. Then, when I ask about it, I'm just a noob, which I'm aware of anyway.

It's NOT FUN. Either play the way you want with others who are either 1) willing to take it or 2) play just as fast. Otherwise, if somebody, or better yet, if *I* say that I don't want to play fast, find another player who will and don't get frustrated when you wnat a game and the player you're playing against thinks you're pushing it.

As far as attack marks are concerned, that's just dumb. I never liked that, even back in the SIGS days.

And you know what? I havn't heard this particular concern before. I guess you could say that I'm complaining. Maybe I am. But you know what, this is a very good reason why so many people don't WANT to play. Again, I absolutely love OP2. It's easily one of my favorite games. But it's just getting wrecked for me because every time I want to play multiplayer games, I'm the one the floor is being wiped with.

Offline Tellaris

Multiplayer Game Speeds
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2005, 02:41:51 AM »
Welcome to my world, leeor...  I got sick of the rush crap, and haven't played in such a while...   Granted I've been working on programming a map, but still.   Rush only games are incredibly annoying.   If you catch me on a good day, I'll play a nice, slow game with you.   Space Race if you want it to be, can even be allied for it if ya want...   (I do like to harrass in space race)
The only rushing I do is against Eden when I'm Plymouth, for obvious reasons...   (Thor is simply too powerful to let anyone have)
Spell Checker!   The PoWeR tOoL
Click Here For Coolness
Self Proclaimed OPU Help desk.

Offline Highlander

• Outpost 2 Elder
Multiplayer Game Speeds
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2005, 04:07:03 PM »
Heh, people underestimate large map landrushes.

Ask Stormy :P
There can be Only one. Wipe Them out. All of Them.

Old player still playing. Visit Spark for a game of Outpost 2

Offline Leviathan

Multiplayer Game Speeds
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2005, 09:25:11 AM »
Some people like to play as fast as they can and some people dont, some people enjoy long games and some people dont.

Because we dont have that many players when you able to play only fast players may be on, like Panther or me. All you can do is just play people who want to play long games with you. have fun

Offline leeor_net

• Administrator
  • OPHD Lead Developer
Multiplayer Game Speeds
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2005, 09:42:45 PM »
Agreed. It would appear that I'm not the only one that likes longer games. I am very eager to really get back into good 'ol OP2 (reminds me much of AoE, I LOVE that game!!) :)

Anyways, I just need to vent I guess. It seemed to me that everybody wanted to play on ultra speed and that anyone who wanted to play slower were expected to play fast. I'm glad I was wrong ;)

Offline Leviathan

Multiplayer Game Speeds
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2005, 09:18:07 AM »
There are many players and many game styles and types beening played. Play OP2 not other crap games like AoE! :P

Oh yea, don't play with me if your looking for a long game

Offline zigzagjoe

Multiplayer Game Speeds
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2005, 11:07:28 AM »
yeah, typical levi right there....lol.

i don't play the rush games on pie b/c they are so 'scripted'.....hell, you could write a simple ai for it and it would dominate. all pie really is is how fast you can pull off a series of instructions.....no variation.

Offline Hooman

• Administrator
Multiplayer Game Speeds
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2005, 04:05:37 PM »
Very true. I've been tempted to try out that idea actually. But, there are slight bits of knowledge missing, and I'm a bit too lazy/busy to do it. Plus there are a ton of other things people seem to want me to work on instead.

Offline lordly_dragon

Multiplayer Game Speeds
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2005, 08:05:59 AM »
i prefer slow and long game because you can have a better micro on your unit  

Running, scrambling, flying
Rolling, turning, diving, going in again
Run, live to fly, fly to live, do or die
Run, live to fly, fly to live. Aces high.

Offline Mikeyboy

Multiplayer Game Speeds
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2005, 09:23:40 PM »
Sadly enough i agree with most of those about op2 game speed.  I joined the multiplayer back in mid july and it is a great game but the games i did play i couldnt keep up with and i start to get frustrated. I have played probably only a half dozen games on hamachi and i realized multi isnt as fun as i once remembered it to be.

Im not even really a noob, i have a very good grasp of the game, and i still cant seem to win any games or even come close. The game doesnt need to be 2 hours, but it doesnt need to last 10 minutes either.  I wish it would be at 7 and thats it.

I have stopped playing multi for this reason, sadly enough i found more fun playing the colony games on op2.  It doesnt have to be god awful slow but it doesnt need to be at the speed of light either.

Offline leeor_net

• Administrator
  • OPHD Lead Developer
Multiplayer Game Speeds
« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2005, 10:48:23 PM »
My sentiments exactly. For a little while I thought I was crazy. I was chewed out by quite a few people about it.

You know, that happens to me a lot. This is one I don't think should have happened but either way. Many of the other times I've been roasted is because I do things differently than most people and I like to take initiative. I've learned that sometimes I just need to calm myself.

Anyway, point stands. I'm glad to see support on this one.

Offline lordly_dragon

Multiplayer Game Speeds
« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2005, 12:08:24 AM »
i like slow game so if you want to play one day just wack me up on irc  (thumbsup)  

Running, scrambling, flying
Rolling, turning, diving, going in again
Run, live to fly, fly to live, do or die
Run, live to fly, fly to live. Aces high.

Offline coolzero

• http://www.trippyac.com
Multiplayer Game Speeds
« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2005, 04:53:17 AM »
ugh i dont like pie becous its a series of instructions as said ... but slow games i always end up with a combinasion of uniets and ore that the last minuits ofthe game r just decided of who followed the instructions in the biggining the best and has a brain.  

it comes down to this ... i dont like pie cous its to fast and i dont like slow cous the end always sucks >.> but i cant understand why they think the end is the most fun part of the game :D
becous havning my signature 5720 characters long or so is a little crazy and hacker would prob del my signature again i diseded to make a pic of it ... this is acualy my name in letters highlighted. i just took a ss  :D

Offline Nightmare24148

Multiplayer Game Speeds
« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2005, 01:46:13 PM »
I also third or w/e the opionon of Leoor...I mean its just no fun to have the SAME old tactics, SAME old path to CONQUER THE QUICKEST, or even SAME OLD BASE PATTERN...it just takes the fun out...then it becomes a match of who can click more and more and who can MEMORIZE best the FASTEST WAY to get the RUSH weapons up - then it becomes boring - thats why I like TA...it isn't so simple...although OP2 is easily on the same level of favorites :)!

Just to say, its no fun for majority of us...maybe for the minority top people...
:(
I look to see, in the mirror.

All I see, is that he is me.

Offline Ezekel

• http://ezekel.deviantart.com
Multiplayer Game Speeds
« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2005, 05:32:02 AM »
i have to side with leeor on this.

OP2 isn't a C&C game.
its true that in all games the one who can react fastest will have an advantage, but i always liked the chess-like feel of op2.

true i play on highest speed cos i just don't like sitting around waiting for structures/research to be completed or for enough metals to be mined, but i still feel that people shouldn't rush the game just cos they want to win.

yeh, i agree the aim is to win, but i find it hard to believe that doing the same 10 min thor rush over and over can be fun after so many times.

i dunno about anyone else, but i also like to build my base - and i'd almost never attack 1st in a resource/midas/space game (even if it appears that my opponent is about to win, cos that's just cheap and sore-loser-ish).

when i had my friends round here from the US, we played a lil OP2, and even though i knew the research trees and he didn't, i still didn't go for the 10-15 min game of slaughtering him. (besides big tank battles can be fun, especially when you slip a nova into their lines when they aren't looking ^_^ .)

anywho, thats my opinion about this.
would that i could, i'd play online for fun rather then to conquer.
My mind is quicker then your eyes!

Never fight what you cannot see!!!

----------------------------------------------

The sleeper has awakened... and boy what a hangover!

Offline Ezekel

• http://ezekel.deviantart.com
Multiplayer Game Speeds
« Reply #19 on: August 29, 2005, 05:41:34 AM »
I also third or w/e the opionon of Leoor...I mean its just no fun to have the SAME old tactics, SAME old path to CONQUER THE QUICKEST, or even SAME OLD BASE PATTERN...it just takes the fun out...then it becomes a match of who can click more and more and who can MEMORIZE best the FASTEST WAY to get the RUSH weapons up - then it becomes boring - thats why I like TA...it isn't so simple...although OP2 is easily on the same level of favorites :)!

Just to say, its no fun for majority of us...maybe for the minority top people...
:(
heh, TA is a great game... until ppl start nuke spamming.

my point is - even that game has people who don't like holding back on taking advantage of a certain aspect of the game.
(after all in TA, the speed of the click isn't as decisive as it is in op2)
My mind is quicker then your eyes!

Never fight what you cannot see!!!

----------------------------------------------

The sleeper has awakened... and boy what a hangover!

Offline zigzagjoe

Multiplayer Game Speeds
« Reply #20 on: August 29, 2005, 08:11:22 AM »
the above post are pretty much what i think. amps like pie and earlobe just get boring b/c there is only *one* way to do things if u dont want ur ass pwned a few minutes into the game. its v annoying to me, altho it would be a interesting experiment to make a 'ai' for pie....and the problem w/ that is, its unbeatable. all pie is is how fast u can pull off a series of clicks.  

Offline BlackBox

• Administrator
Multiplayer Game Speeds
« Reply #21 on: August 29, 2005, 08:45:47 AM »
That's why we need more missions that people would be willing to play.

The best would be maps where it's possible to play at any speed (one mission, play as fast or as slow as you want)

One thing; big maps tend to be less fun to play as they take FOREVER just to begin to setup your base, etc.

Death_Knight69

Multiplayer Game Speeds
« Reply #22 on: August 29, 2005, 08:52:11 AM »
I've read all these post and they make me sad. I just joined OPU a few days ago after finding it on the net(it's one of my all time favorites) and I haven't played online since sigs either, so I'm a little rusty as well.  It's disparing to hear that OP2 has turned into a speed race like Starcraft or C&C.  I'm Definetely, DEFINETELY siding with leeor on this one.  Nice long games, Getting to know little tricks or even something new from your opps is always a good game. Call me up on IRC anytime!

Offline leeor_net

• Administrator
  • OPHD Lead Developer
Multiplayer Game Speeds
« Reply #23 on: August 29, 2005, 09:16:39 AM »
I remember one of the greatest, yet cheapest, moves ever! Just when the game began, my opponent sent all of his vehicles in except his robothingermabob (the one that builds walls and tubes) and destroyed all of my vehciles by self-destructing his near mine. Then he too his thingermabob and disconnected all the tubes from my CC. I'll tell you, the game lasted only 5 minuts but it was one of the sweetest moves I've ever seen!

Another time I was playing with a friend of mine. He had green and I was white. We were playing on a relatively large map. As I built my units I spread them around the map to look like mining locations. He had no idea what was lurking in the dark for him! :D Anyway, I won that game but he put up a nice fight. He mentioned to me that he didn't build too many vehicles because he didn't realize how many I had until it was too late.

Those were the times, those were the times!

Offline Leviathan

Multiplayer Game Speeds
« Reply #24 on: September 01, 2005, 08:20:33 AM »
There are not many players still around so id say at least half the time you play someone you have not played before they will be someone who likes to play fast, and if you dont play that way you probly wont enjoy it.

Before you play a game, find out what its gonna be like and how good the other players are then you wont be supprised.

Ask around, find the right people to play with, its often good to partner up with someone to play with and play many games with them which you both enjoy.

Were all here to enjoy OP2, and together is the best way.

If you like OP2 and wanna keep playing it, you should not be put off by people not playing how you like or want or the lack of players or whatevea. If you realy liked OP2 you would stick with it and be part of the comunity and not leave at all.

We need more players and members, people who like the game giving up on it dosnet help.

Rember be friendly.