Author Topic: Op3, But Cordinated  (Read 8265 times)

Offline Hooman

• Administrator
Op3, But Cordinated
« Reply #25 on: July 22, 2005, 01:35:16 AM »
People PLEASE stop saying things like : "oh theres too many projects.."
Ive looked in all of those projects forums, and 90% were abandoned, or are on hold....

I'm not saying there are too many projects. I'm saying about 90% of them have been abandoned.  ;)

Offline Stormy

• http://www.op3game.net
Op3, But Cordinated
« Reply #26 on: July 22, 2005, 01:49:59 PM »

I was referring to Panda...
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·
3D artist in Blender, MS3D, and Terragen.
Trying to get good with Scene composition and lighting.

Offline TH300

• http://op3game.net
Op3, But Cordinated
« Reply #27 on: July 22, 2005, 04:17:42 PM »
People PLEASE stop saying things like : "oh theres too many projects.."
Ive looked in all of those projects forums, and 90% were abandoned, or are on hold....

I'm not saying there are too many projects. I'm saying about 90% of them have been abandoned.  ;)
they were abandoned for two reasons: they were not really coordinated and too few people were working on them.

Offline zigzagjoe

Op3, But Cordinated
« Reply #28 on: July 22, 2005, 04:47:15 PM »
no offense, but tbh i see little or no cordination here...and 0 plans....
« Last Edit: July 22, 2005, 04:47:34 PM by zigzagjoe »

Offline Hooman

• Administrator
Op3, But Cordinated
« Reply #29 on: July 22, 2005, 05:37:28 PM »
Well, let's not be overly critical here. But you should be aware that your chances of completing a major project are statistically very low. If you have some proper planning and coordination early on, it'll probably help. Or at the very least, you might realize what you're trying to do won't happen and save your self the time and other people the dissapointment of another failed project. Although, if you do go ahead and fail, hopefully you'll have at least learned some programming out of it.

Which brings me to another point. I usually don't tell most people about most of the projects I'm working on because I know I won't finish a lot of them. When I lose interest and abandon them, they just kinda never happened and no one needs to get dissapointed. (Or bother me excessively to finish something I don't want to work on). But I do still learn something from most of them.

And TH300: The projects I have the most faith in only have one person working on them. Kinda helps solve the problem of coordination.

Offline leeor_net

• Administrator
  • OPHD Lead Developer
    • LairWorks Entertainment
Op3, But Cordinated
« Reply #30 on: July 23, 2005, 01:25:47 AM »
The major point here that's been stated a thousand times is that a coordinated project with a core group of members to sit and develop a complete story and proper design document are the two things that cause most larger projects to fail. I would think that OP:MIA is a bit of an exception because, while a large project in itself, it's not such a daunting task at all. I've used map drawing code similar to what I've used years ago when I was still using QBasic because that was the easiest language I knew that could render graphics at any decent speed (go figure, DOS died with WindowsXP and I just decided to move on after I learned that the Quake2 engine code was released).

Anyway, I've been helping stormy with both a story doc and a design doc and things are looking good. Of course, just because someone has a design doc, it doesn't mean a game or even a story will be released. No one is stating that there's an actual project even. It's still just a twinkle in the eyes of a few guys who like the OUTPOST series.

Besides, while only one person is needed to create a full game, to produce a game that visually competes with games of todays standards takes teams of people all working together to create a final project.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that there nobody should be looking forward to any project at this point because one hasn't been started. A few of us are just talking about a game that may or may not come into existance. If it does, wonderful. If it doesn't, well... we'll have a really great new novella to release... :)

Offline Eddy-B

• http://www.eddy-b.com
Op3, But Cordinated
« Reply #31 on: August 09, 2005, 10:08:12 AM »
(Heh, I wonder what Hacker and Eddy thinks of me here  ... err, actually, maybe I don't want to know  )
.. errr...   what did I do ?! :D
Thanx for the support, panda!

anyway: a new project is nice -but as i can confirm myself: when doing a project ALL by yourself, it hardly EVER gets fnished. It might get close, even playable ... but finished: no.

I have 2 unfinished projects myself... somewhere... on cd or HD. One of them is still kind of an 'open' project that i been working on, on and off for since i think 2002 or so.

A "community" project has a better chance of survival, but also needs a helluva lot of communicating and working together as panda put it so nicely. Next to a few (yes: more than 1) experienced coders, a lot more people are needed for such a project, as i have attracted for my Renegades project, that started out as an almost solo-project, and now having a handful of people actively working on it; not just on coding, but on graphics design etc.

So: i believe the first step would be to compile a list of skills we need (eg. coder, mapper, gfx artist...) and put names next to it, as to who wants to work on it. This could be done on the wiki, so anyone can add oneself (sorry, if this exists already, as i didn't check it yet).

Next step would be to construct sort of a story-book outine what we want to do, and describe it as clearly and detailed as possible. Then have people start working on it, keeping in mind everything must *fit* together, as i posted b4.

Good luck to us all!  {this could take years to finish}
Rule #1:  Eddy is always right
Rule #2: If you think he's wrong, see rule #1
--------------------

Outpost : Renegades - Eddy-B.com - Electronics Pit[/siz

Offline Stormy

Op3, But Cordinated
« Reply #32 on: August 09, 2005, 12:49:34 PM »
We have done nearly everything you guys said, Why all the discouraging messages. We support OP:renagades, and dont treat you like this, but why do you guys treat us like this.. We haven't even posted what we have, so you DON'T know what we have done..

Like they say: "Don't give up on your Dreams"
You guys need to stop the degrading comments, they hurt  :(

Note: this IS a community project, not some thing gone out and done by ourselves, The only reason nothing has been seen on the forums, is because we have been working on a Storyline, Once we post it, THEN the community will become involved, so sit tight till then. Look at leeor's post, THATS why we are doing this storyline away from the comunity, so that we can get it cordinated and so that this doesn't go down the drain.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2005, 01:02:27 PM by Stormy »

Offline Leviathan

Op3, But Cordinated
« Reply #33 on: August 09, 2005, 04:07:12 PM »
We wish all projects the best and hopefully everyone in the comunity will do what they can do help out any projects.

Offline leeor_net

• Administrator
  • OPHD Lead Developer
Op3, But Cordinated
« Reply #34 on: August 09, 2005, 04:34:45 PM »
I would say that stormy is taking things a little personally. I guess I can understand. But he does have a standing point.

Instead of giving all the reasons why a project can't work, why not offer suggestions to help it work?

Plus, as Eddy said and knows, projects take time to get anywhere. OP:MIA, for example. I started it in 2004. But, due to a lack of time and computer coupled with the fact that my computer is dead (almost ready to come back to life, however!), it's taken a lot longer than anticipated.

Besides, before a project can be started, it needs to be agreed upon by those involved exactly what it's supposed to be. And when that happens, it happens.

So, as stormy said, it would be more helpful to get support rather than reasons as to why something won't work.

Offline spirit1flyer

Op3, But Cordinated
« Reply #35 on: August 23, 2005, 06:49:46 PM »
I will be happy to help in anyway I can  ;)  but no coding! I am still learning how to do that  :P

spirit
"Until you stalk and overrun You can't devour anyone"

Loyal Xfir supporter

Offline BlackBox

• Administrator
Op3, But Cordinated
« Reply #36 on: August 24, 2005, 08:26:06 AM »
Ok, if it's a community project, how come you're so unwilling to share the work that you've done? (Even if it is just screenshots, at least people have SOMETHING to look to)

That doesn't sound like the community is getting involved at all.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2005, 08:31:39 AM by op2hacker »

Offline TH300

• http://op3game.net
Op3, But Cordinated
« Reply #37 on: August 24, 2005, 10:25:26 AM »
We have not yet started developement of the game.

All we currently have is an outline for a novella and when that is finished we will post it here so that everybody can help write the novella.
Why we don't want help for the outline? Because it would be messed up if too many people with too many different ideas worked on it.

Don't ask us to hurry, you'd make us make mistakes. We don't want to give out info on a game while we are still not certain if it'll ever be made.

Offline leeor_net

• Administrator
  • OPHD Lead Developer
Op3, But Cordinated
« Reply #38 on: August 25, 2005, 06:58:41 PM »
In addition to what TH300 stated, many project that are started commercially are developed within the entity creating the game. Information is not just readily handed out and I wouldn't expect that to be any different with a large project such as Genesis, despite the fact that it's not a commercial project.

As far as screenshots are concerned, there aren't any to give out. There is no game. There is no new engine. There are no modifications to OP2. There aren't any new graphics. There's no new music. There is a Novella Outline and some ideas being thrown around. That's it. Information will be posted when it is.

And, relating back to what I saying earlier about commercial projects and non-disclosure of information, it's fun to be involved in and have information about something that only a few people have. It creates suspense and excitement for the 'public' as a whole, not to mention myself, stormy, TH300 and Zanco.

Besides, the story outline is nearing completion. When it finally is finished, we'll be asking OPU to help write the story itself.

Offline Freeza-CII

• Administrator
Op3, But Cordinated
« Reply #39 on: August 25, 2005, 09:11:13 PM »
Umm Why be so secretive about this its not like the russians are going to steal the plans for you game and make it before you do lol.  But really dont you think you can give out just one or 2 screen shots of the models or some thing.  Get people excited about this project of your.  Not asking for much just 1 or 2 pics.

Offline BlackBox

• Administrator
Op3, But Cordinated
« Reply #40 on: August 25, 2005, 09:12:58 PM »
Well then.. how did the great thing known as GNU / Linux come to be? Project 'secrets' were shared with the public.

Our community doesn't work this way. A surprise is one thing, but we were told at the outset that it was a 'community project'. It sure doesn't seem this way as we don't even get to see the outline in progress, or anything else. (maybe let the public help on the outline; this ensures that the final product will be a game of everyone's making, not just a few).

Personally I (and others at OPU, I'm sure) have a hard time supporting this project when the opposite of what I've been told about community involvement comes true.

Offline Stormy

Op3, But Cordinated
« Reply #41 on: August 25, 2005, 09:28:39 PM »
What do you suggest we do then? We are almost ready to 'release' it and then it will become something everyone can work on.

Offline zigzagjoe

Op3, But Cordinated
« Reply #42 on: August 25, 2005, 09:29:29 PM »
I would say, that about hits it on the head. we dont know s*** about this, except it has gensis in its name. how do you expect us to support somethings we dont kow anything about?  
« Last Edit: August 25, 2005, 09:29:48 PM by zigzagjoe »

Offline spirit1flyer

Op3, But Cordinated
« Reply #43 on: August 25, 2005, 10:30:50 PM »
wow I had no idea you guys were doing 3D  :blink:  
"Until you stalk and overrun You can't devour anyone"

Loyal Xfir supporter

Offline Stormy

Op3, But Cordinated
« Reply #44 on: August 28, 2005, 02:09:31 PM »
Hehe... Suprised?  :lol: