Author Topic: A 'taste' of OP2Mapper 2.0  (Read 25070 times)

Offline Betaray

• Administrator
A 'taste' of OP2Mapper 2.0
« Reply #25 on: February 14, 2005, 05:17:50 PM »
just wondering, will this one allow you to put in and control lava/blight?

cause I have a pretty cool idea for a game, where the map has 4 volcanos, and lava or blight very slowly fills the map, so you have to work in smaller and smaller areas, and as you get towrds the center the ore gets worse, I think that would be pretty challanging, but make the lava/blight go very very slow
I am the nincompoop, I eat atomic bombs for breakfest, fusion bombs for lunch, and anti-matter bombs for dinner

I just hope they don't explode

Offline BlackBox

• Administrator
« Reply #26 on: February 14, 2005, 08:48:08 PM »
I dunno about lava / blight, (at least not till later), they're both very directional and it's quite a bit of work to set up where you want lava to be able to flow or not flow. (I think, I'll have to check)

Baikon: it will support basic placement for multiplayer, and you could create unit placement for singleplayer. (The unit data will be stored in a separate file which the script imports, so you can use it later on).

Any other suggestions you would like to see now?

Offline Drakmar

« Reply #27 on: February 14, 2005, 09:14:03 PM »
How far along is the editor? Will it be open source? (So some of us can try to improve it?)
« Last Edit: February 14, 2005, 09:19:01 PM by Drakmar »

Offline Leviathan

« Reply #28 on: February 15, 2005, 04:12:42 PM »
Its still gonna be some time...

I dont think it will or should be open source :/

Offline BlackBox

• Administrator
« Reply #29 on: February 15, 2005, 06:22:48 PM »
Yea, I can't really say when it will be done. (And I don't even want to guess, because giving dates usually gets me into troubles :P)

And no, I don't plan on making this open source. (Testing so far seems to yield few bugs that are hard to trace down, and I generally test it in "chunks" so the bugs from one part of the editor are usually fixed before I start on another).
I don't really want to release this to the open public, because I've spent too much time on it (and I don't like the thoughts of everyone snooping in my source code). (Nor do I have a CVS server to deploy anything on, to prevent people from running away with their own 'brands' of a mapper, which may or may not work right).
« Last Edit: February 15, 2005, 06:23:56 PM by op2hacker »

Offline Hooman

• Administrator
« Reply #30 on: February 15, 2005, 07:10:13 PM »
Yes, I agree it should stay closed source. Especially during development. I can't stand having tons of spin off editors to sort through and choose from.

But yeah, it should be great.  (thumbsup)  

Offline BlackBox

• Administrator
« Reply #31 on: February 15, 2005, 08:33:38 PM »
Here's another picture, this time showing the map view and the tileset beside it. :P

Offline Leviathan

« Reply #32 on: February 16, 2005, 02:56:12 AM »
ooo editing and making maps on my 1600x1200 res is gonna be fun :)

mayb if some1 could make some better icons they could be used instead of the windows ones? jazz it up a bit, make it more op2 :)

Offline nesfreak1

« Reply #33 on: February 16, 2005, 03:48:57 AM »
ok, what do you think of this, since you don't like the idea of randomizing the tiles according to a specific tile type that your laying, puting everything that has to do with one tile type (ie: sandy dunes) in a sub menu so that you don't have to search for all of those different tiles and walls and wreckage.
What does not kill you makes you stronger.

Offline Hooman

• Administrator
« Reply #34 on: February 16, 2005, 03:57:18 AM »
Actually, they're largely already arranged like this by tileset. (See "well0002" in the screenshot above.)
« Last Edit: February 16, 2005, 03:58:01 AM by Hooman »

Offline Leviathan

« Reply #35 on: February 16, 2005, 04:00:30 AM »
Yeah i was thinking that, would be nice if custom ones could be loaded or whatevea. have ones for volcano parts etc.

also wen map editing i have a map file as a pallet where i copy and paste sections out of, if i could load this in the tile set and be able 2 copy a section out of it - it might be better than loading the 2 maps but not sure.

Offline neo_drol

« Reply #36 on: February 22, 2005, 10:14:56 AM »
mayb if some1 could make some better icons they could be used instead of the windows ones? jazz it up a bit, make it more op2

Maybe i can make some buttons :P  If a .JPG or any other image format is alright  :)  
And I hang my boots to rest when I'm impressed
So I triple knot them then I forgot them
This origami dream is beautiful
but man those wings will never leave the ground
Without a feather and a lottery ticket, now settle down

Offline Leviathan

« Reply #37 on: February 22, 2005, 11:02:59 AM »
Well save your originals as BMPs. We dont want to lose quality.
Send them to hacker and if he wants he may want to compress them to save space.

I allways use BMP's in my VB projets to keep quality.

Anyway great if you can help on the graphics side of things.

Offline BlackBox

• Administrator
« Reply #38 on: February 22, 2005, 02:01:19 PM »
Alright, guidelines for icons:

Toolbar icons MUST be 16x16 and 24-bit or less colors (32bit are nice but aren't really useful because VB doesn't support them).
They MUST be in BMP, ICO, GIF, or some other format suitable for icons. JPEG is unacceptable. (BMP or ICO is preferred, since I can't convert from anything but the most common formats. This also means don't go sending me your photoshop files).

Main icons like the application icon should be similar but a 32x32 icon would also be needed. all other rules apply above.

Also, a new splash screen would be nice. Keep it about the same size as the current mapper's splashscreen (a little bigger is fine, but not real big, and no smaller). Don't put any text like "Loading" or version numbers or anything, if you want to have it say OP2Mapper or Outpost 2 Map Editor that's ok. Keep in mind the "Loading" text will be in about the same position as it is currently, and same color too. (So it should be readable). The upper right of the new mapper splash also has a version number in red.

BMP is defo the best format to do this in, but JPEG (if you keep the jpeg quality high, like 7 or higher) is okay too for the splash.

I would prefer BMP's for all of this stuff however, since I may need to reduce colors/edit palettes/and need to put them all into a single image.

For the toolbar images, do not use magenta (R:255 G:0 B:255) as a color, or it will not show up in the toolbar. (I use that color to mark the transparent areas).

Again, thanks, if you're able to do this.

Offline neo_drol

« Reply #39 on: February 22, 2005, 03:37:02 PM »
I will give it a try  :P

I already made two splashscreens;

Maybe you had some other things planned on this screen, please tell me :)  Because I can easely change everything. ( lettertype, background, colors etc.)

Also, hacker, I need to know exactly which buttons I need to make, and what the function is of those buttons so I can make a button that looks like it.

« Last Edit: February 23, 2005, 12:02:50 PM by Leviathan »
And I hang my boots to rest when I'm impressed
So I triple knot them then I forgot them
This origami dream is beautiful
but man those wings will never leave the ground
Without a feather and a lottery ticket, now settle down

Offline Betaray

• Administrator
« Reply #40 on: February 22, 2005, 06:53:42 PM »
btw, mabe try to put in a minimap screen or somthing that can show you the whole map, it will allow you to see how the general layout of the entire map would look like and allow less experenced map makers (like myself) configure the maps easier
I am the nincompoop, I eat atomic bombs for breakfest, fusion bombs for lunch, and anti-matter bombs for dinner

I just hope they don't explode

Offline BlackBox

• Administrator
« Reply #41 on: March 14, 2005, 08:01:43 PM »
Here's another update, this time with unit placement:

The unit placement engine is far from complete right now but it's pretty flexible.

It uses a format similar to CSV to read data on units like their size, name, positioning of tubes, etc.
(This makes it easy for mod makers to change characteristics about units, etc).

currently the formatting of these files looks like this:

Code: [Select]
;Structures

28,"Command Center",3,2,2,2
58,"Tokamak",2,2
INCLUDE "vehicles.tbl"
and so on.

The unit engine will store unit records in a separate file alongside the map, which can be imported by the scripts made by the editor, or by C++ files that are part of a mission.

oh, btw. Minimap: There will be one. the code isn't done yet, and I don't plan to finish it soon (it's not the highest on the priority list right now). It will be in the initial v2 release though.

Interested enough yet? :P

Offline Leviathan

« Reply #42 on: March 15, 2005, 04:19:24 AM »
It can import and export C++ code into it?

Can you create units for 6 players and AI ?

Offline Eddy-B

• http://www.eddy-b.com
« Reply #43 on: March 15, 2005, 01:12:25 PM »
Looks cool hacker !
>> i hope your not putting me out of a job !   B)  
Rule #1:  Eddy is always right
Rule #2: If you think he's wrong, see rule #1
--------------------

Outpost : Renegades - Eddy-B.com - Electronics Pit[/siz

Offline Punboy

« Reply #44 on: March 15, 2005, 04:09:55 PM »
Make it opensource under the GPL. That way we can all contribute stuff like bugfixes, improvements, etc and submit patches to you. Just... beg and plead at people NOT to fork.
Help control the human population. Have your spouse spayed or neutered.

Offline Hooman

• Administrator
« Reply #45 on: March 15, 2005, 04:20:24 PM »
You mean Hacker might write bugs?  :o

Nonsense! That could never happen.  :heh:

>> i hope your not putting me out of a job ! 
Can I be put out of a job? I could use some more time for school.  :(
J/k, I've got way too much to try out on here.

Offline neutrino

« Reply #46 on: March 25, 2005, 08:45:54 PM »
I'd like to see a more intuitive map editor. A filling tool for plains. It would also be great to draw cliffs without having to edit it tiles by tiles.

This intuitive map editor would simply require that you define presets of tiles that can be used together to keep the graphical countinuity of the image. I hope someone can get to work on this.

Offline zigzagjoe

« Reply #47 on: March 27, 2005, 10:26:14 AM »
looks good hacker! i second the concept of a minmap though. it is rather hard to make a map with features relatvie to each other without a minimap.

and here are the pics:

(they were broke by the forum move)
« Last Edit: March 27, 2005, 11:52:38 AM by zigzagjoe »

Offline plymoth45

« Reply #48 on: April 23, 2005, 11:12:57 PM »
Oh, Also, Could we get a mini-map navigation put in some where? I'm starting to get tired of missing the spot i want to be because of having to not see where I am.