Author Topic: Mass Driver  (Read 2642 times)

Offline Combine Crusier

Mass Driver
« on: May 04, 2007, 10:42:05 AM »
The idea of this structure in OP V1.5 was to cheaply launch cargo and starship modules into orbit, I believe that it is possible to give this structure a docking port and allow trucks with starship modules (Starship components and resources only, no sattilites) to dock and load the module into the driver which would then be fired into orbit.

Stats: Mass Driver:
HP: 2200
Armor: Heavy Renforced
Ability: Fires starship components and resources into orbit
HP: 800
Light Range: Structure Factory
Size: 4 by 6 squares
Common Ore: 3800
Rare Ore: 1200
3rd Ore: N/A
Power: 180
Colonists: 4 workers: 3 Scientists
Tube Connection: Yes
« Last Edit: May 07, 2007, 08:25:35 AM by Combine Crusier »
Fire at will!

Offline Freeza-CII

• Administrator
Mass Driver
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2007, 11:35:55 AM »
Yes it would work But to leave any thing bigger then the moon it would have to be miles and miles long

Offline Sl0vi

Mass Driver
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2007, 02:40:32 PM »
So how exactly would this building work differently ingame then just building a normal spaceport? What are it's pro's and con's?

Also I can't imagine it being a good idea "firing" hi-tech equipment into orbit :P
!!!YAY!!!

Offline Freeza-CII

• Administrator
Mass Driver
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2007, 05:11:30 PM »
Its just a Super fast Mag lev with a ramp and nothing to stop the rocket.

Offline Combine Crusier

Mass Driver
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2007, 08:25:26 AM »
Ok in OP V1.5 The mass driver fires stuff into orbit (like an oversized version of the on NASA uses today (look it up, I know they have one somewher, or something that does the same thing) which is then caught by a net).

Resource wise it would be overall cheaper.... I'm changing the power to a more reasonable level.. (about as much as the HERC).
Fire at will!

Offline Freeza-CII

• Administrator
Mass Driver
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2007, 03:12:38 PM »
I highly doubt Nasa has a Mass Driver.  To launch stuff say like that of a RVL or SULV the rail it has to travel on must be long enough for the rocket to reach EV (Escape Velocity) and get into orbit.  Some thing like this would be absolutly long and huge.  Chemical pad launches are quicker and easier to do.

Offline Combine Crusier

Mass Driver
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2007, 08:15:20 AM »
Arggg. You don't launch a missile you just launch the payload......... The current one launches maintenance equipment for astronauts in orbit...... Like tool kits and other small things.... Based on the size it looks I'd say it can fire modules about the size of 4 (20 inch) computer monitors.
Fire at will!

Offline Freeza-CII

• Administrator
Mass Driver
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2007, 07:45:38 PM »
There are no people in space. there is no space station after every one lands or is trying to escape.  So every thing would have to go up with rockets which have the people and the sat.

Offline Combine Crusier

Mass Driver
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2007, 08:18:47 AM »
That previous reply was talking about the rocketless launch system we have here on EARTH! Not the one for OP3 that I'm suggesting.
Fire at will!