Author Topic: Op V1.5 Monirail  (Read 3406 times)

Offline Combine Crusier

Op V1.5 Monirail
« on: March 14, 2007, 12:23:41 PM »
I have recently decided to suggest that the OP V1.5 Monirail be added.
Good:
A.New form of transportation
B.Faster than trucks
C.Could be used to transport ore faster
D.Could provide better production efficency (faster material transport)
E.Could be constructed above and below ground similar to a tube
F. Has benifits like a tube.

Problems:
A.Requires power (plenty of that though)
B.Can be removed like a tube(enemy earthworkers)
C.Requires a station(Could be integrated into biuldings)
D.limited to traveling in constructed tubes

It would be nice to see a form of transport that can be diabled but is immune to most forms of disasters. Also this could be benificial in that it could be used to improve dirt response times. And finally your going to want something that isn't going to be prone to conventional attack.
Fire at will!

Offline TH300

• http://op3game.net
Op V1.5 Monirail
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2007, 11:45:03 AM »
A monorail is probably not needed. Tubes are good enough to transport most resources (and we could possibly make it so that structure kits and starship modules can be transferred through tubes either.

A monorail in the middle of a colony (if not underground) is just a wall that can be quite distrubing if not for defense.

We had some new kinds of tubes suggested already, but I forgot what the result was.

Here are some threads that you might want to look at:
Monorail
Cargo Train
Tubes between mine and smelter

Offline Freeza-CII

• Administrator
Op V1.5 Monirail
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2007, 10:06:27 PM »
Seeing as every one gets around in the tubes one might assume the Monorail is already incorporated into the tubes.

Offline Combine Crusier

Op V1.5 Monirail
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2007, 07:59:25 AM »
I was just suggesting this because it is a lot FASTER than a slug truck. Also, no tubes don't have monirails right now they have scooter paths....
Fire at will!

Offline dm-horus

• Banned
Op V1.5 Monirail
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2007, 05:06:43 PM »
but theres no way to tell if ALL of them have just scooter paths. all we have for reference is the novella and it does not specify whether or not all tubes are the same. personally, i doubt they are. it would make sense to modify a tube that runs ONLY to a smelter to be adapted to transport materials.

Offline White Claw

Op V1.5 Monirail
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2007, 07:25:41 PM »
Aren't metals pumped via a slurry? Which makes me ask why you loose all of your metals if you have no storage. Shouldn't there be some left in the tubes? Though I guess it wouldn't be much.

I liked the monorails, but I don't know that it would fit in OP2. If OP3 is closer to OP2 than OP1, I don't know that it would feel right there either. OP1 monorails were fairly useless anyway (at least in my experience). The only use I see in OP2 is for mining runs. Unless someone else has another suggestion. (Will OP3 be massive world based with multiple colonies to control?)

Offline dm-horus

• Banned
Op V1.5 Monirail
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2007, 08:17:03 PM »
White Claw:

It depends on the project and realistically at this point I dont think anyone can say. There isnt even a rendering system made yet so I think talking about monorails is a bit far off for now :P

Offline Betaray

• Administrator
Op V1.5 Monirail
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2007, 09:49:14 PM »
emergency ore storage in the tubes, interesting idea, it would allow people to not be totally screwed if their smelter gets hit by a vortex early in the game (happened to me many times)
I am the nincompoop, I eat atomic bombs for breakfest, fusion bombs for lunch, and anti-matter bombs for dinner

I just hope they don't explode

Offline Freeza-CII

• Administrator
Op V1.5 Monirail
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2007, 04:45:02 AM »
Interesting idea but it doesnt stop some one from spamming tubes all over.

Smelting all that material you couldnt hope to keep it all flowing you would have to have a tank to keep it in.  The storage tank and holds for which the slurry and smelted and non smelted metals would be here.

But back on subject.

A Monorail system for the people to get around doesnt make any sence in a game like op2 (if op3 is going to resemble op2 more and not op1).  Axen got around on a scooter and there was aparantly a whole rack of scooters to use.  They also hitched rides on trucks and convecs because it was more direct. and they got to see the out side and get out of the colony even if it was inside a cab.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2007, 04:48:09 AM by Freeza-CII »

Offline BlackBox

• Administrator
Op V1.5 Monirail
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2007, 08:11:54 AM »
Aren't metals pumped via a slurry? Which makes me ask why you loose all of your metals if you have no storage. Shouldn't there be some left in the tubes? Though I guess it wouldn't be much.
I believe that the help file says the metals are stored in a suspension of small metal particles and oil (or some other inert substance). Since it is a suspension, the tanks contain some sort of stirring apparatus that prevents the metal particles from settling out.

That's probably why the metals are lost when a storage facility is idled or destroyed. At idle there is no power to stir the contents of the tanks so the metal settles out preventing them from using it. If the facility is destroyed, obviously there is no more storage tank at all so the metals are lost.

I'm sure they can be pumped through the tubes but there wouldn't be a whole lot of metal slurry left in the tube if the storage facility is gone. (Consider what happens if you close the valve on a propane tank. There is still some gas left in the line but it will quickly bleed out, and any flames on the other end will quickly go out once the gas is used up).

As far as a monorail goes, I would think it totally unnecessary. You could say that it improves DIRT response time but the other argument would be, they have larger vehicles that move inside the tubes (I believe one of the mini stories in the help file involves a man driving a vehicle in the tube when the fuel storage facility at the spaceport explodes). They might also have special designated lanes or passages that only emergency/maintenance vehicles can use (like a lot of subways have).

Offline Combine Crusier

Op V1.5 Monirail
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2007, 05:13:49 PM »
Yes... The thing about a tube way is that ist's space is already limited with ventalation, water pipes, walkways, scooter paths, and.... sewage pipes (I hope other wise your going to hava a pluming problem). A monirail though is equipped with only ventilation and a monirail track plus a Maintenance path for repairs. Another thong about tubes is that.... well, they are magnetically shielded and that could mean that any magnetic elements would stick or resist. Another problem with ore pipes in tubes is that when the power goes out it would just sit there and it could harden and cause a blockage, which would mean that when the power came back on and the pumps would start you'd get an explosion back at the mine from pressure biuld up.

Where as a monirail would use it's own power source which could also be used to stir any metals in it's cars.
Fire at will!

Offline dm-horus

• Banned
Op V1.5 Monirail
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2007, 07:36:25 PM »
... that makes no sense.

Offline Freeza-CII

• Administrator
Op V1.5 Monirail
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2007, 01:43:27 AM »
If you loose power your mono rail is f***ed to.  Responce teams wouldnt get on a mono rail that wouldnt take them direct to the building.  Such transportation systems would on stop are certain area that would cover a general area.

Offline Combine Crusier

Op V1.5 Monirail
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2007, 08:31:12 AM »
Bwa bouta barfaqua doula bacoua.....
What the heck did you say Freeza because I can't tell what you mean!

You need pressure to pump materials through a pipe Horus so if the tube plugs somethings going to go boom.
Fire at will!

Offline Mez

Op V1.5 Monirail
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2007, 09:12:47 AM »
Topic Closed,

Going off topic, idea not feasible