Author Topic: Op Requirements  (Read 3320 times)

Offline Tellaris

Op Requirements
« on: October 30, 2005, 01:35:23 AM »
Im inquiring as to the general requirements to become an Operator, what is desired, what is the bare minimum.

These are the ones I think that are looked for...

-Knowledge of OP2 Coding
-Maturity
-Knowledge of game play
-Frequent presence
Spell Checker!   The PoWeR tOoL
Click Here For Coolness
Self Proclaimed OPU Help desk.

Offline Freeza-CII

• Administrator
Op Requirements
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2005, 01:14:39 AM »
One question who made requirments.

Offline Eddy-B

• http://www.eddy-b.com
Op Requirements
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2005, 05:38:00 AM »
Maturity
uhm,, is there ANYone here acting mature ??

Rule #1:  Eddy is always right
Rule #2: If you think he's wrong, see rule #1
--------------------

Outpost : Renegades - Eddy-B.com - Electronics Pit[/siz

Offline spirit1flyer

Op Requirements
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2005, 09:02:20 AM »
Operator?

are you talking about being a mod?
"Until you stalk and overrun You can't devour anyone"

Loyal Xfir supporter

Offline zigzagjoe

Op Requirements
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2005, 11:31:09 AM »
im guessing he means ircop/moderator[ they are generaly linked]. and as for "requirements", i would say it would be evaluated on a case-to-case basis.

Offline BlackBox

• Administrator
Op Requirements
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2005, 03:02:46 PM »
Coding isn't necessary. However, the other points are considered.

However... we aren't looking for new ops right now. Like Joe said, we will evaluate people as needed, we don't need extra ops currently.

Offline Mez

Op Requirements
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2005, 03:53:50 PM »
Ops doesn't necisarily mean u get mod.

I was Op for like 1.5 years before i became a mod.

and yep there is definatly no set requirements for op or mod, they are both seperate entities

Offline Stormy

• http://www.op3game.net
Op Requirements
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2005, 01:00:16 AM »
In my eyes, you need to be mature and set the example. If someone makes you mad, work it out constructively, don't start a big flame war :heh:. You also shouldn't go attacking people and help people know ALL the options they have if they are wanting to get into coding. You should also help the newbies. So, just be a good person and set the example is all I can say :).

I think that once the community gets bigger, there might be a need for more mods, but for now, I think like 8 or whatever it is is plenty. For mods though, after the OPU team has "picked" candidates, shouldn't the community vote like a Democracy on who would make the best moderator (best as in most mature and would do a good job)? (Just an Idea that came to my head)
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·
3D artist in Blender, MS3D, and Terragen.
Trying to get good with Scene composition and lighting.

Offline Hooman

• Administrator
Op Requirements
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2005, 02:29:33 AM »
Ahh, I guess this is the thread I've heard mention of but couldn't find.

I guess just be a good person, and be around when someone is needed. It's not too often that new people are added as ops. It can be helpful if you know how to do something useful, but not particularly needed. If you're talking about IRC operator, than it's mostly just being around to moderate the channel, and knowing how to do a good job of it. But again, people start complaining when the channel gets too op heavy.

Oh, and what other people would think of the candidate tends to be more important that what the candidate thinks of themselves. Which should go without saying, but still, some people need to be smacked with a large trout in this regards. (I'm not saying anything about people here, but I have seen some people vying for an op position elsewhere and they seemed to be the only person who thought so highly of themselves.  (thumbsdown) ) You shouldn't have to tell people you're a good person. They should know you are.

But yeah, generally things are done on a case by case basis as new people are needed. Not so much a set procedure as just some common sense.

Offline BlackBox

• Administrator
Op Requirements
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2005, 10:52:40 AM »
Hooman is correct. As far as picking ops, it's something that is thought through. We don't make people ops who we think are going to act like 8 year olds.

He summed it up pretty well: it's not what YOU think you're capable of, it's what everyone else thinks.

How to get people to think highly of you? Again, it helps to be online and helping out people.

Also, in the picking of ops: Only people who we believe can carry out the duties associated with being an op / mod will get selected. For example, when you're a moderator, a new set of controls is available to you on the forums. Only people who we think could use those controls responsibly and ethically will be picked.

Offline Stormy

• http://www.op3game.net
Op Requirements
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2005, 08:33:08 PM »
If people start complaining about IRC being "op heavy", If new Operators were picked, wouldn't there be some moderators that won't get an OP, but they still have moderating powers in other things like the forums?  Or you could have different moderators Admining different channels.

Just another idea that came to my head... B)

`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·
3D artist in Blender, MS3D, and Terragen.
Trying to get good with Scene composition and lighting.

Offline spirit1flyer

Op Requirements
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2005, 09:50:02 PM »
hmm now there's an idea!  have the OP's be people not mods on the forum  :P  

Loyal Xfir supporter

Offline Betaray

• Administrator
Op Requirements
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2005, 09:51:32 PM »
not that I hold a grudge or anything, Im just wondering what one I violated that got my GM status taken away
I am the nincompoop, I eat atomic bombs for breakfest, fusion bombs for lunch, and anti-matter bombs for dinner

I just hope they don't explode

Offline Leviathan

Op Requirements
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2005, 06:26:54 AM »
Betaray we just let other more active people take over the job. Tho you are active these days which is great to c :) Sorry but it was time for a change.

Offline Betaray

• Administrator
Op Requirements
« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2005, 09:39:47 AM »
yea, i consider that my silant period
I am the nincompoop, I eat atomic bombs for breakfest, fusion bombs for lunch, and anti-matter bombs for dinner

Offline Mez

Op Requirements
« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2005, 11:39:19 AM »
Perhaps a reinstatement is in order?

Offline spirit1flyer

Op Requirements
« Reply #16 on: November 09, 2005, 12:06:28 PM »
I am all for it.  But I think it should be a community vote

Loyal Xfir supporter

Offline Betaray

• Administrator
Op Requirements
« Reply #17 on: November 09, 2005, 02:16:10 PM »
well they did say that they had enough admins

but if your going to vote me back in, I wont stop you lol  (thumbsup)  

Offline Sirbomber

Op Requirements
« Reply #18 on: November 09, 2005, 03:28:38 PM »
We don't really need ops from my experiences. Sure, some people get a little out of hand occasionally, but what if they've just been having a bad day and need to vent a little? In which case kicking them for 5 minutes is REALLY going to improve their mood.
Now that I'm thinking about it, is there a way to implement a voting sytem on the bot to kick/ban people? Then we could have just 1/2 ops (not counting the bot) and let everyone decide who is/is not acting like that PeopleAssume guy.
"As usual, colonist opinion is split between those who think the plague is a good idea, and those who are dying from it." - Outpost Evening Star

Outpost 2 Coding 101 Tutorials

Offline RockNavator

• http://www.rocknavator.outpost-universe.net
Op Requirements
« Reply #19 on: November 10, 2005, 12:01:06 AM »
Heh that PeopleAssume guy...

But I dont quite agree with the idea of having 1/2 ops... there are times that there won't be anyone in the channel that is op'ed because they will be asleep.

Yes, sometimes we have way to many ops it would seem but it doesnt seem to hurt anything. It would be cool if we could have a votekick system but i fear that some people would abuse it and that others might get pushed out of the community just because a few people have problems with them.

Offline Tellaris

Op Requirements
« Reply #20 on: November 12, 2005, 11:32:24 AM »
For the voting out system, there comes a whole new method of abuse.   You can spam the channel with such a thing.   You can annoy people by consistantly starting it, and some will just follow along for the hell of it.   I've seen such things in operation, it dosn't always work out all that well.

Its hard to get "Full Coverage" with a moderator, as not every timezone is represented adequately.    We don't have, for example, any chineese, Russians, Japanese, ect here that I know of.    So those particular timezones are unmodded.
Spell Checker!   The PoWeR tOoL
Click Here For Coolness
Self Proclaimed OPU Help desk.

Offline zigzagjoe

Op Requirements
« Reply #21 on: November 12, 2005, 11:47:36 AM »
uh, hoooman is somewhere in the area of china, and is usually up at those hours, along with me occasionaly.

as far as the voting system goes, nice concept, but i would think itld work better w/ a group of lesser ops that could 'vote' when to kick. a full democracy would/could be disatorous. only problem is we dont have enough ppls to form such a group. ah well

Offline Hooman

• Administrator
Op Requirements
« Reply #22 on: November 13, 2005, 07:28:37 PM »
Heh, how did I know that was gonna be in your reply ZZJ.  :lol:

I don't think a vote system would work. The idea of lesser ops that could vote people off the island... err, channel, is kinda cool, but it doesn't solve the problem of moderation during the off hours. The problem being that very few people are on, never mind lesser ops to moderate things. For a vote to be effective, you'd need a number of people who can and WILL vote. If there is only 1 or 2 people active at the time, voting is useless. But then, I guess you kinda already said that.

And yeah, there is usually an op on when most channel activity occurs. It shouldn't matter if the channel is unmoderated if nobody is active.