Author Topic: What languages do you use?  (Read 5953 times)

Offline Hooman

• Administrator
What languages do you use?
« on: July 01, 2004, 11:13:50 PM »
I've been thinking (an experience not unwholly unfamiliar to myself).

A number of people on this forum have some programming experience, but many don't know C++ or at least not very well. A lot of people also seem to be interested in the DLLs but the only template so far is in C++. So, seeing as how C++ is not the only language that can write DLLs I thought it might be interesting to see what other languages people know around here in hopes that new templates can be written in other languages. Feel free to list any language that can make programs that run under Windows but I'm particularily interested if you know they can create DLLs. Also, feel free to list something that someone else has already listed so we have an idea as to how many people use that language, as well as different variants of a language.

Suggestion: if you know a language can create DLLs, mark it with a *. (Don't worry if you're not sure about it, you can just leave it out).

I guess I'll start things off:

VC++ 6.0 *
Visual Basic *(but making DLLs won't be easy)
MASM style assembly *
NASM style assembly *
Java
Python (I hear it can make DLLs, anyone want to confirm this?)

*eyes Kramy* (Jamascript)  :heh:  

Offline Kramy

« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2004, 11:57:15 PM »
Jamascript. :)

It can not make dll's, since it's not compiled, so you'd have any access to entry points, etc. Oh, and I guess I'd be lumped in with that C++ novice group. :P It's a good thing I know so much Jamascript, or I'd have nothing going for me. :lol:

Speaking of which, I have a theory about your blight on paved-terrain... I'll pm you.

Edit: Oh, and it is a "distant possibility" to use Jamascript to make dll's. You'd just have to make a compiler in it, then compile a dll in the compiler. :P Probably not an easy task.(although it would be 10x easier in Jamascript than in other languages, but also run 80x slower)
« Last Edit: July 02, 2004, 12:07:18 AM by Kramy »
-Kramy

Offline Hooman

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2004, 12:46:32 AM »
Jamascript.  :)
I knew you'd be the first to respond.  :lol:

I'm actually somewhat curious about Jamascript. You did manage to distribute the editor as an exe so maybe it's possible (at least in some "unofficial" way  :whistle: ). I don't suppose you know any of the details about how it generates the exe? I guess if you pointed me in the right direction I could look into it. Hmm, I should consider finding myself a copy. (Your propaganda is starting to work  :o )

Offline Kramy

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2004, 11:43:13 AM »
Lol :lol: Actually, it does "build" exes, but they're all interpretted. Much like putting a bunch of extra data in the file that gets loaded, then having the exe itself read the data from memory and decide what to do. Best interpretted there is. People don't even know it. :P

As mentioned, it's quite a bit slower than compiled exes though, which is why it's nice that they have a wonderful compiled library the interpretter calls stuff from. :whistle: It also creates filesizes extremely small by comparison to other languages. After the library(1400kb)+interpretter(650kb), your actual program is usually under 500kb, which is really small if you're making something like an RTS. Just compare 2mb zipped to op2....about 12mb zipped!

That's actually the reason my editor was originally 1.36mb(zipped), and then after adding several thousand lines of coding, it was 1.36mb(zipped). It took exactly the same library objects with it.

Oh, and if you want a copy, you should probably buy it. They're a small company with about a dozen people, although for some reason lots of people compare them to macromedia.(which is crazy, since they charge $99, while macromedia would be charging $750 :P ) If you do buy it though, don't get the pro version. That would just be a waste of money, since it has nothing extra in it. :heh:

http://www.clickteam.com

They also made MMF, which many thousands of people love. It has no programming whatsoever though, just lots of coding. Somewhat limitted in the apps area, and slow even compared to Jamagic, but then again you can make an entire game engine in a day, and we all know how long it would take to make a platformer in C++ from scratch. :P
-Kramy

Offline Leviathan

« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2004, 12:14:42 PM »
i used Clickteam's Install Creator for OP2NewMapsPack1 and I was gonna use it for 2 but I was lazy and just used a zip file. Anyway its a good app.

Offline Kramy

« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2004, 12:22:53 PM »
Yes, and once you master using Install Creator, it actually looks better than lots of commercial installers.(although not ones from the big companies)

You can put shortcuts in the startmenu(or not) and make an uninstaller(or not) and alter the registry, make ini files, store install locations so that if you release an expansion it knows where to put it(or not). :P

They certainly know how to make useful tools. :)

Edit: Back on topic, anyone know of another language that can compile dll's(and is good at it perferably)?
« Last Edit: July 02, 2004, 12:24:17 PM by Kramy »
-Kramy

Offline PlayingOutpost0-24

• http://op3np.xfir.net
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2004, 01:42:04 AM »
Delphi. Very good for DLLs.
Great news for OP2 fans... OP3 in progress.
Official Site
Outpost 3: A New Power progress
OP3:NP Discussion

Progress in OP3:NP[/size][/font]
PLANNING[|||||||||-]
GRAPHICS [||||------]
SOUNDS [|---------]
MAP DESIGNING [|||||-----]
CODING [----------]
Going slowly... Very slow.

Offline Hooman

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2004, 05:47:10 AM »
Wow. I've been away for a while. Well, at least I got lots of useful computer reading done.

I think I'm going to look into Delphi, but not for a little while. Do you have a suggested compiler? Preferably one I can get access to without having to buy it.

Oh, anyone want to confirm or deny Python's ability to make DLLs?

Offline Punboy

« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2004, 01:56:21 PM »
Yes, python can do DLLs
Help control the human population. Have your spouse spayed or neutered.

Offline BlackBox

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2004, 08:32:44 AM »
Kramy: See if the program that packages the library/interpreter/code together is external. Perhaps we could hook it and see if it's possible to export functions (if it still made EXE, that's fine.. EXE's can be turned into DLL's with some nifty hacks in the PE image).

Hooman: If we can't make templates for their languages, like we have for C++, we could possibly make an "interpreter" that could act as an interface to their language. Then the only requirement for their language would be the ability to invoke functions from an external DLL/EXE. (Every compiled language that I've ever heard of can do it somehow)
And then our interpreter DLL would export base functions to "bridge" their program to the methods exported from OP2.

Btw.. Making a DLL in VB is pretty easy (Search on google for "VB Compile Controller") You basically have it generate an assembly listing of the module that has the functions you wanna export in it, get the symbol names from the listing for those functions, and make a DEF file. Then you modify the parameters to the linker to include the def ... however, the DLL runs slowly and it can cause all sorts of problems because the VB activeX dll's aren't designed to be entered that way.

Speaking of installers... I use WISE Installation System 9.02 Professional. (You can download the evaluation from their site, but it's not crippled or ANYTHING... so basically you can legally have the full version for free. The only thing that makes it obvious that it's an evaluation is the splash on the program (the installers it makes look totally normal however.)
« Last Edit: July 26, 2004, 09:58:26 AM by op2hacker »

Offline Hooman

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2004, 09:19:21 PM »
That's an interesting idea but I see problems with the trigger callbacks. If the language has no way to somehow exoprt a function then it seems like it would be somewhat crippled in this area. Well, I guess InitProc is the most important anyways. Most multiplayer games I've seen played don't make use of anything that can't be put into InitProc. Plus we could always package a premade set of such functions for all the basic needs.

I've had the compiler controller for a few months now but I've never found time to play with it. From what I've read, it sounds like you'd have to hunt for the decorated names each time you want to compile. I guess I wouldn't know since I haven't played with it much. At any rate, that's what I was referreing to above. Oh, and I don't think you have to make an ActiveX DLL. I'm pretty sure you can get a normal exe project to compile into a DLL using the compiler controller. The linker controls whether to make a DLL or an EXE using a command line switch.

Oh and good news: I'm may soon get limited access to a copy of Jamascript. I'll see if I can figure out anything useful.

Offline BlackBox

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2004, 07:59:44 AM »
Well as far as making VB dll's, the decorated names don't change everytime... You just check the first time it is compiled. (Actually I think for all functions this is the decoration they use):

?FuncName@ModuleName@@AAGXXZ

Speaking of the interpreter library.. let them pass in the code or whatever they want to use to the library, (or maybe just make a bunch of function calls to 'explain' to the interpreter what they are trying to do; sort of like a "macro recorder". Say for example -- "pseudo" C++ code:
Code: [Select]
(assume interp is a pointer to the class exposed by the interpreter library... probably wouldnt be the case though because other languages won't support C++ classes necessarily, except thru COM)
int idVortex = interp->CreateTrigger("Vortex");
interp->BeginMacroRecord(idVortex);
// now here they can call the functions that their trigger would do.
interp->SetVortex(x,y,z,a,b);
interp->EndMacroRecord();
// now when the trigger is called this "macro" will be played back.

The only problem with this model would be how the trigger "macro" would access needed vars such as instances of Units, etc. (well: the interpreter would have to store them because the language frontend wouldn't be able to invoke their methods directly.. maybe just allow them to get handles and perform actions via the handle.)

Also, if the language can't export true functions, maybe have the interpreter accept a pointer to a function. (Many languages can do this "normally"... including VB with it's AddressOf operator)
But since OP2 calls triggers using the text name, the interpreter would have to export a bunch of generically named triggers eg. Trigger1, Trigger2 ... Trigger99
Then inside each of those trigger procs, the pointer to the function would be invoked and the custom trigger code would be run.

Sound good?

« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2004, 10:20:59 PM »
Hooman: you can get personal edition for free...
Official Site

PLANNING[|||||||||-]
GRAPHICS [||||------]
SOUNDS [|---------]
CODING [----------]

Offline Hooman

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2004, 06:25:28 PM »
Well I'm pretty sure the VB DLLs are doable. I'm also pretty sure the function names aren't always of that form though. I was reading about it. Apparently it uses the same compiler and linker as Visual C++ (but not for the first pass of course). So adding parameters will change the decorated name, but then it also sounds like once the parameters are fixed, the exported name shouldn't change. As for passing the address of functions in, that would work but then most languages I've heard of that can do that can also properly write DLLs. VB is the only exception that I know of.

As for scripting languages, I don't care to be the one writing the code for it.  :(

PlayingOutpost0-24: OK, but I'm going to be slow and lazy about it.   :)  Especially since it requires that I turn on Javascript to download it. (Ugh, lousy javascipt. There's a needless security risk for little gain. I've had to fix so many computers because of it. mutter* mutter* mumble* mumble* mutter*) Actually I'll probably get it in the next few minutes.

Edit: Well I see Borland is as annoying as ever. It took me over 20 minutes just to get the download started!
« Last Edit: July 31, 2004, 06:48:54 PM by Hooman »

« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2004, 02:51:02 PM »
i have it on cd, didnt know Borland is sooo bad...
Official Site

PLANNING[|||||||||-]
GRAPHICS [||||------]
SOUNDS [|---------]
CODING [----------]

Offline BlackBox

• Administrator
« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2004, 04:21:15 PM »
I don't like Borland products. lol. They're about the only company that I can say has worse products than Microsoft's.

Offline Hooman

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2004, 02:11:44 AM »
Ok, there was another 10 minutes of answering questions after I downloaded it before it started working.

Anyways, my first though when opening it: This is a VB clone.
My second though when I saw some code: OMG this is Pascal!

I used to think Pascal had about as much life left in it as Latin, but I guess it's not quite that dead yet. Anyways, it looks alright but I haven't really used it much yet. I've kinda got that newbie feeling where if I touch anything it will break.  :unsure: Well it's organization of classes and whatnot looks alright. Better organization then I've viewed C++ as having but more powerful than Visual Basic. Still, there's something about Pascal syntax that gets to me. It seems like there's a little too much typing to do some common tasks but at least not as bad as with Java.

Anyways, a free copy may have been worth the 30 minute interrogation but I still have to figure out how to make DLLs. Hmm, for that matter, I don't even really know how to make a console app yet. True to Borland's previous documentation for Pascal, the Delphi documentation seems heavily theory centered with not much in the way of actual examples or practical knowledge. Ahh well, I'm sure I'll figure it out.

Next language, Jamascript. Hmm, I don't suppose I can take a look at the source for your editor Kramy? (Hmm, as always I seem to be considering the question: How does it work?)

Offline Kramy

« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2004, 07:57:04 PM »
Sure you can take a look at the source. The code is mostly crap though. :lol: It was one of my "learning" projects, and since then I've had everything better structured, and less crud shoved here and there. :)

Btw, I don't suppose you're interested in this, but some people on the forums say that Jamascript is the best at-runtime app-building language in existance. (thumbsup)  Woo, go Jamascript! :D (An example of this is loading object positions from an ini file(or something) and changing their positions on the screen, making editboxes, lists, etc. wherever, in 3 lines of code.(including the code to load the data from the ini, ofcourse))

I wonder how much of a pain it would be to make an app where you can move the editboxes/stuff around on the screen in C++/VB? :unsure:
-Kramy

Offline Hooman

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: August 04, 2004, 12:49:41 AM »
I wonder how much of a pain it would be to make an app where you can move the editboxes/stuff around on the screen in C++/VB? 

VB: 1 line
C++: I don't care to find out

Short programs probably aren't such a good indication of the usefulness of the language though. What VB does with that one line is not very impressive. Especially since it really depends on what you are doing. I mean, some things are really easy in assembly that would take a number of instructions in other languages. And technically, you can write everything in C/C++ on one line. (Just don't tell any of my instructors that I've suggested writing everything on one line.)

Oh, and don't worry about "learning code". I know what that's like. Come to think of it, it sometimes seems like all my code is "learning code".

As an example of how bad I was... (before I actually had lessons on "proper programming conventions")

- I always used line number, not labels
- I never used variable names with more than 1 letter :)
- Absolutely no whitespace that wasn't syntactically required
- I wrote an entire program (2000 lines of GWBASIC) where all the numeric stats where all stored in a binary packed string. This of course required memorizing the offset and length of all the data into the string. (String length: about 200) Here's a sample from the much clean up sequel (5300+ lines of QBASIC plus code for the 2 editors, but with up to 2 letters in a variable name! I was also starting to drop line numbers occasionally and added a space between some symbols):

5350 i = Int(CVDMBF(Mid$(b$, 39, 8)) / ((Asc(Mid$(b$, 63, 1)) + 1) * 5))
This stores your money/(5*level) into a temp variable

If Asc(Mid$(mo$, 160, 1)) <= Asc(Mid$(b$, 63, 1)) + 1 And Asc(Mid$(mo$, 161, 1)) >= Asc(Mid$(b$, 63, 1)) + 1 Then i = i - 1
This was used in a loop to find a random monster for you to fight. You had to be in a certain level range to fight certain monsters. It first found how many where available for you to fight and then randomly selected one.

- To save space, (tight memory constraints) I wrote as many commands on one line (less line numbers meant a few less bytes). The line often wrapped around the screen 3 times. I'd get as many of the 255 characters max on a line as possible unless I needed to break for a possible control flow change.
- I actually considered ways to make use of the last 23 BYTES of RAM.
- I never used any loop statement other than a FOR loop. (Yep. All Goto/Gosub  :D ) ... and remember, line numbers.
- In a really early project I didn't know about inequality compares (I hadn't yet seen them and I was very young). Guess how I implemented the shop code so your money couldn't go negative.  :lol:  (For some reason, there was always a case I missed...  :whistle: )
- many many sequential IF THENs
- no identation whatsoever (heck, it wasn't even possible in GWBasic)
- custom code to write directly to video memory for faster screen updates! (That got a little hairy but the speed increase was well worth it).
- and when I was really feeling nasty, I had assembly commands written in strings which could be called. (s$=chr$(0...255)+chr$(0...255)+chr$(0...255)+...) Executable strings made me happy.  (thumbsup)
- And for good measure, I occasionally encrypted stuff (both data and code) or relied on compiler/interpreter errors for things to work, when possible.

Needless to say, I didn't get along with my first computer teacher.  :heh:

The funny thing is, my programs had less bugs than hers. Plus I was always somehow able to fix mine faster. Oh, and that sequel game, I rewrote it once to make all the code look nice and consequently introduced about 100 bugs. Before the rewrite, there were no known bugs. (But hey, it was a game, I "tested" it often. Every piece I wrote got tested almost right away).

Oh hey, and if you want to know ways of making C/C++ code unreadable, well that's even easier! Mmmm, Circularily dependent #defines in multiple include files with a complicated include hierarchy. The file does something different every time you include it. It depends on the number of times it eventually gets included in the hierarchy.  :blink:  And let's not forget languages that only read the first, say 8 characters of a variable name. MyBigVarNumber, MyBigVarPointer, MyBigVarString all refer to the same variable, but that doesn't stop you from calling it something different every time you refer to it. :) Oh and try for variable names like nn, nm, mn, mm. They are really hard to distinguish with certain fonts.  :P Oh, and be sure to #define certain command to really be something else completely unrelated and also make sure all your subroutines have hidden side effects that aren't easily guessed. Half truths are harder to track down than complete lies.  ;)

I guess I could go on, but I've already rambled excessively.  :blush:

« Reply #19 on: August 04, 2004, 01:22:27 AM »
Well i like delphi, i never said Borland is the greatest... it is just Borland or not, its Delphi so company doesnt matter...  well... ummm... delphi is good for dlls and if you can use Pascal, you'll understand it (i mean its easy)...
Official Site

PLANNING[|||||||||-]
GRAPHICS [||||------]
SOUNDS [|---------]
CODING [----------]

Offline BlackBox

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: August 04, 2004, 07:42:17 AM »
Hmm. I personally am not a fan of anything that has that type of syntax.
This would include Pascal itself, Delphi, Tcl (writing the game pickup for the bot in the irc room took me much longer than it should have, because of the horrible syntax), etc.

I also dislike languages that don't fully compile to native code (eyes Kramy) (hint: Jamascript) but are supposed to be used in native environments. This includes Java (Java is the most horrible language I've ever used. It's possible to have too much OOP in a program. That becomes a problem when you try to write a tiny simple program and it takes you 50 lines in Java where it would take you about 5 in C).

Well enough rambling. But on the subject of C/C++ mangling, look below:

----------------------------

Microsoft probably did crap like this when making Microsoft Office:

make "general" looking functions, but they accept a "mode" parameter (or maybe multiple "mode" parameters), and the defines for those mode parameters generally look like this:

#define MAKE_STRING_SUPER_WIZZY_CAPITAL 0xFF33BB0E
#define ARE_YOU_SURE_MAKE_STRING_SUPER_WIZZY_CAPITAL_YES_DO_IT 0xFF
#define SOME_OTHER_FUNCTION_CAN_GO_HERE 0x00

now we mustn't forget that the "mode parameters" aren't just int's or anything simple, no. they are ridiculously confusing typedefs. As well we must pass pointers to these "modes" into our "function"; even though it's totally pointless (no pun intended) because nothing is returned thru them.

typedef struct _ModeParam1 {
    BOOL a; // now remember, we are going to start using obscure types and no one will know the length of them
    HRESULT b; // we don't really use COM in this program; but let's throw an HRESULT in for fun
    WNDCLASSEX c; // see, we need this because our big function needs to be able to create the window
    HWND amountOfMoneyWeHaveLeft // see, its an integer value! we can round up to the next dollar and we get more money left!
} SomeHorriblyLongNameGoesHereAndThisMeansTheModeParameterOne;

I won't bother to define mode parameter 2.

Now our "multipurpose" function needs to be inline.... see, we need that extra speed boost cuz our program will probably suck.... but so what if the final program needs 4 CD's because it's 2 gigs big?

int _inline ThisFunctionDoesEverythingInMyAppTheOnlyOtherFunctionIsWinMainCuzItWontRunWithoutItButReallyICouldSetThisRidiculouslyLongFunctionToBeTheEntryPointThenIWouldntReallyNeedWinMainNowWouldI(SomeHorriblyLongNameGoesHereAndThisMeansTheModeParameterOne FAR ** YourModeOneGoesHereAndWeLovePointersToPointersAndOutdatedSyntaxLikeFAR, BSTR OhYesILoveBstrsItsNotNeededCuzWeDontUseComButSoWhatILikeHavingToConvertItToACharArrayEveryTimeIWantToUseIt);

Now inside the function body we need to put everything on a single line. It does look compact, doesn't it?

« Reply #21 on: August 04, 2004, 11:58:29 AM »
Hmm. I personally am not a fan of anything that has that type of syntax.
In that case, it includes Javascript as well, right?
Official Site

PLANNING[|||||||||-]
GRAPHICS [||||------]
SOUNDS [|---------]
CODING [----------]

Offline BlackBox

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: August 04, 2004, 12:33:15 PM »
Nah, Javascript has a C style syntax..

VB is a little on the side of pascal like syntax, but at least you dont have to make several calls to print a line on the screen.

Offline Kramy

« Reply #23 on: August 04, 2004, 12:35:37 PM »
Yeah, sure you can make that code complex, but in Jamascript you can't stretch lines out forever, and it doesn't recognize multi-line stuff. :P Very hard to make your code unreadible.(which is good, actually) My editor though is quite impressively interlinked though, so if you change a few things it may stop working entirely. :lol: Oh, and lots of the code is in the *wrong* places, so if I ever wanted to remove a feature, it would be a pain. :blush:

Other than that...I've since learned the scrolling method is crap, and rebuilt it entirely to support a lot more stuff(in other projects). If you change something in the scrolling function it may stop working. I'll pm you the link.

Edit: Once my site uploader starts responding again...  :whistle:  
« Last Edit: August 04, 2004, 12:36:31 PM by Kramy »
-Kramy

Offline Hooman

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: August 05, 2004, 09:58:35 PM »
Very hard to make your code unreadible

Alright Kramy, I take that as a challenge!  :lol: Well, maybe not, but if I have the time....

Delphi doesn't actually look too bad. I kinda like the way it organizes certain things. It doesn't seem like such a bad idea to make a DLL template in Delphi but I'm going to have to put that on hold for this weekend. I've got a major project due on Monday.

I've also got to spend a bit of time looking into Jamascript. (*Eyes Kramy) I think I can get over a little lack of compilation.

Hmm, come to think of it, assemblers aren't really compilers.  :D