Author Topic: Living on a colony  (Read 7884 times)

Offline knux

Living on a colony
« Reply #25 on: April 10, 2004, 06:31:37 AM »
Have you played "Sid Meir's (sp) Alpha Centauri"?

This was an earth type planet situation that orbited a tri-star system Centauri.
The ecosystem was quite starved of carbon and it recycled every bit. So when they got there, there wasn't any fossil fuels and they were stuffed. You have to reasearch it later on (artificial fossil fuels).

I'll try to get scans of the manual.

As for ore extraction. Eden's acid cloud research suggests an acidic compound and hot cracking efficiency suggests a very hot metal column that melts the metal out of the ore.

Funny, I've always thought about this, but I've never had anyone to talk about it.  

Offline CK9

• Administrator
    • http://www.outpost2.net/~ck9
Living on a colony
« Reply #26 on: April 10, 2004, 03:00:11 PM »
uh, knux, you lost me there.
CK9 in outpost
Iamck in runescape (yes, I still play...sometimes...)
srentiln in minecraft (I like legos, and I like computer games...it was only a matter of time...) and youtube...
xdarkinsidex on deviantart

yup, I have too many screen names

Offline ZeusBD

Living on a colony
« Reply #27 on: April 10, 2004, 11:52:36 PM »
I've played Alpha Centauri and little bit, so I understand you Knux. It is a possibility that that's how the people on Outpost got fuel, but maybe it was already researched? The world will never know.
In the dark I'm at home, in the light I'm on the battlefield. A Dragon's life is a constant struggle for survival. But in the end, we will prevail.
Go check out my site: http://www.frankandami.com
E-mail me: ZeusBD at yahoo.com

Offline Jgamer

Living on a colony
« Reply #28 on: April 11, 2004, 09:09:21 PM »
well, like xfir said they could have taken the carbon from the plants of the agridomes, they were brought from earth didn't they?
Also, there can be artificial coal, all you have to do is to burn wood in an non-oxygened environment

Offline TH300

• http://op3game.net
Living on a colony
« Reply #29 on: April 13, 2004, 02:52:48 AM »
The problem is that they can build all these things which might need carbon, without having an Agridome.

Offline Jgamer

Living on a colony
« Reply #30 on: April 13, 2004, 10:22:08 AM »
well
i suppose that the metal syroup that's in the smelters and storage tanks actually has carbon in it too.
And i guess that you being able to build things after you smelthed thing without an agridome was made this way for playability purpose solely

Phantom

Living on a colony
« Reply #31 on: April 13, 2004, 04:57:39 PM »
Let's say that the structures are made of steel. And that the ore that is mined is iron. In order to make steel, they would also need carbon.

Since organic matter contains carbon, it could be extracted from the agridome not only to make the steel for the structures, but also for plastics and such.

Of course all this is on the assupmtion that the buildings use steel...

Offline BlackBox

• Administrator
Living on a colony
« Reply #32 on: April 15, 2004, 07:55:00 PM »
You do seem to forget that the planet has an atmosphere somewhat like Mars. So it would be full of CO2. They could strip the oxygen and get pure carbon. And also, if they wanted they could extract carbon from their wastes (yes, our intestines are lined with bacteria converting wastes to CH4 (methane))
And yes Arklon we breathe O2. There is no way to get O in a single atom form for long since it's a diatomic element, and it binds very easily to other atoms.... (This is how oxidation/rusting occurs on a metal)

As far as how the smelters convert ore to metals, this is what the Outpost2 help file says:
The technology used in both the ore smelting structures is similar to that used in the GORF recycling structure.  Ores are pretreated to maximize the concentrations of useful metal, then crushed to a uniform pellet size and fed into a fusion-electric smelter and pumped under pressure into a hot cracking column for separation into individual metals.  While most metals are extracted in pure form, some, such as uranium and aluminum, require additional processing. 
The resulting molten metal streams are solidified into micro-pellets, which are mixed into a synthetic oil-based medium to create a slurry, which can be pumped through pipes, stored in tanks, and easily provided to factory machinery in the form of a constant flow.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2004, 07:56:55 PM by op2hacker »

Offline ZeusBD

Living on a colony
« Reply #33 on: April 16, 2004, 12:27:48 PM »
Or they don't get carbon since it's a game and anything that they want to happen or be there will happen or be there. Since it isn't real the laws of this world that we know to be true, don't neccasarily have to be true there. Since they make their own world (the game makers) they can make their own rules of nature, like oxygen could be H4O2 there if they wanted in to be instead of H2O.
In the dark I'm at home, in the light I'm on the battlefield. A Dragon's life is a constant struggle for survival. But in the end, we will prevail.

Offline TH300

Living on a colony
« Reply #34 on: April 16, 2004, 03:09:22 PM »
I don't believe, that Outpost 2 breaks any law of nature. Op2 is a realistic game. Why should they ruin it with such irreallistic aspects?

I suppose, they just didn't think about stuff like that and not leave it out intentionally.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2004, 03:49:27 PM by outsider »

Offline ZeusBD

Living on a colony
« Reply #35 on: April 16, 2004, 03:16:29 PM »
I'm just saying, no matter what ya'll say, it could be correct since it isn't completely made around reality. So you could say that they have a mouse running in a wheel producing carbon and for all we know you could be correct.

Offline Jgamer

Living on a colony
« Reply #36 on: April 16, 2004, 03:50:58 PM »
Like it is made with table RPGs sometimes you have to sacrify some realisme to make it more playable.
They could have did this or maybe they just didn't noticed this error

Offline BlackBox

• Administrator
Living on a colony
« Reply #37 on: April 16, 2004, 03:56:15 PM »
They probably didn't notice that. Remember the point of a game corporation is to make money, not be uber-realistic to the last drop.

Offline Sirbomber

Living on a colony
« Reply #38 on: April 24, 2004, 06:32:10 AM »
They used "Dan's dark mage could make more plastic." and let that be the end of it.

The first is simply called Common Ore, and it is rich in lighter metals such as aluminum, titanium, magnesium, yttrium, and chromium, as well as a few common heavier metals like copper and iron.  So-called Rare Ores are rich in heavier metals including radioactives.  Metals in this group include gold, silver, lead, cobalt, nickel, palladium, osmium, platinum, cadmium, zinc, mercury, thorium, and uranium. 

So it does say what ore is.
"As usual, colonist opinion is split between those who think the plague is a good idea, and those who are dying from it." - Outpost Evening Star

Outpost 2 Coding 101 Tutorials

Offline Arklon

• Administrator
Living on a colony
« Reply #39 on: April 24, 2004, 07:34:49 AM »
Coal comes from diamonds, I believe...

Offline Betaray

• Administrator
Living on a colony
« Reply #40 on: April 24, 2004, 11:01:36 PM »
there has been extencive reashurch in chemistry concerning the production of plastics on Mars, and it has shown it can be done (they have made plastic out of martion metarites) I dont know the exact chemistry, but I know it can be done, I have read a book by Robert Zubrin that gives all the details of all chemical reactions nessacery to colonise a planet of Martion class, it is called "A Case for Mars"
I am the nincompoop, I eat atomic bombs for breakfest, fusion bombs for lunch, and anti-matter bombs for dinner

I just hope they don't explode

Offline TH300

Living on a colony
« Reply #41 on: April 25, 2004, 03:37:25 AM »
Don't come diamonds from coal?

There most likely is carbon on every planet. (why shouldn't it be there?). It just has to be found and extracted.

Offline RedXIII

• http://www.battletechmodproductions.com
Living on a colony
« Reply #42 on: June 29, 2004, 08:33:00 PM »
It also says that the Residental Units are what manufactures the clothing.
-Nanaki 'RedXIII' Leroux

A pouncing cat stalks the hunting cat roar the two enraged in a death's embrace the coiled serpent crushes both. A pouncing cat stalks the hunting cat with care, the pouncing cat watches the coiled serpent crushes the hunting cat, a new star is born.
- T

Offline knux

Living on a colony
« Reply #43 on: June 30, 2004, 06:58:02 AM »
Don't come diamonds from coal?

There most likely is carbon on every planet. (why shouldn't it be there?). It just has to be found and extracted.
As long as there has been some sort of organic chemistry then there will be carbon in the environment. Is there carbon on the moon?

If you've play Sid Meiers(sp?) Alpha Centauri, it outlines a hypothetical situation where the carbon is totally recycled within the ecosystem. Thus there are no fossil fuels on the planet.

But diamonds are carbon. Just a covalent network of carbon molecules.
Just get charcoal and heat it up to thousands of degrees and squish it under thousands of tons of pressure. Let that simmer for about a million years or so. Done!

Offline Ezekel

• http://ezekel.deviantart.com
Living on a colony
« Reply #44 on: July 11, 2004, 08:06:22 AM »
oxygen and other gases are made in the CHAP facility that is (in op2) integrated into the CC
My mind is quicker then your eyes!

Never fight what you cannot see!!!

----------------------------------------------

The sleeper has awakened... and boy what a hangover!

Offline Betaray

• Administrator
Living on a colony
« Reply #45 on: July 16, 2004, 02:23:05 AM »
for a planet not to have an element expecially one as common as carbon would be extremly rare, and you would think the sensors on the starship would detect if a planet did not have any carbon, and would quickly rule out that planets canidecy for colanization

as for hydrogen, well that is the most abundent element in the universe, for a planet not to have hydrogen is just plain ludacris

now some heavyer elements a planet may be dafissant in, but mabe later in the game you can have astroied mining or somthing to get those (such as iridum wich is very scarse on earth, but fairly abundent on astroids)

all that said, it all boggs down to on simple statement, where there is a will, there is a way

if the colonists need plastic t survive, they will find a way to make plastic

its funny, I thought of the same question when I was reading the noliva, but the fact that eden has made plants grow on New Terra convinced me that if the soil had suffecent carbon/nitrogen/water for plants (even ganeticly enhanced ones) than it should have more than enough to make plastic for a few buildings and vecs  
I am the nincompoop, I eat atomic bombs for breakfest, fusion bombs for lunch, and anti-matter bombs for dinner

Offline op2lover

Living on a colony
« Reply #46 on: July 28, 2004, 03:14:42 PM »
well if u ad read the story u would now its not plastic its glass which could easily be made from sand.
irc name:_dennis_
op2 name:dennis
fav op2 color:cyan

Offline Betaray

• Administrator
Living on a colony
« Reply #47 on: August 01, 2004, 07:22:52 PM »
yes they have glass, but the noliva sais that they have plastic as well, reference to the first chapter in the eden noliva where the melting woman is describing what the blight does

quote: She continued, either unable to hear him, or unwilling to stop talking.  "It grows too fast, but Nguyen wasn't willing to wait.  'An atmosphere in our lifetime,' he said."  She shook her head as though to clear it.  She brushed her hair out of her face, and he could see that she was trembling.  "Not enough time to explain.  Attacks organics, even protein units in boptronic computers, even the plastics in our environmental seals." :quote

so as you can see, there were plastics in op2

Offline plymoth45

Living on a colony
« Reply #48 on: August 01, 2004, 07:52:51 PM »
oh, beta, noliva is spelled novella lol.

Plastic isn't an easy thing to decompose either, has a rather long half life. Shows you how powerful the blight really was. Glass is easier to come by, cause it is easily made with sand. I would rather use Glass on a Colony then Plastic, unless it is for sealing purposes, cause plastice tends to seal a little better then glass.

Offline op2lover

Living on a colony
« Reply #49 on: August 10, 2004, 10:20:11 AM »
also couldnt the glass have been "softened" into a plastic like thingy (sry really tired) and usees that way also from earth they had to ahve brought plants or at least seed with them. and then useing there great technology they could introduce a gene into the plants to produce raw crude oil. also people remains and other materials could be compressed in to oil which could be refiend inotpalstic as with the raw crude oil from the plants.
irc name:_dennis_
op2 name:dennis
fav op2 color:cyan