Author Topic: OutpostHD Planet Animation Tool  (Read 1818 times)

Offline leeor_net

• Administrator
  • OPHD Lead Developer
    • LairWorks Entertainment
OutpostHD Planet Animation Tool
« on: November 14, 2021, 02:57:34 PM »
Hey all,

With OPHD v0.9.0 being worked on, I wanted to start updating some of the planet visuals and make it a lot easier on myself to assemble the animation for planets. So I put together a little tool to make that happen:

Basically takes the output from a Blender scene and stitches all of the frames of animation together into a single texture atlas that the game can use.

I'm sure there are blender scripts that can do this or I could have probably written my own via python... but I like C# and I've been wanting to sharpen my GUI skills anyway so here it is.

Head over to Wiki for usage instructions and to get the .blend source file.

https://wiki.outpost2.net/doku.php?id=opu_projects:active_projects:outposthd:planetstitch

Offline Vagabond

• Global Moderator
Re: OutpostHD Planet Animation Tool
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2021, 05:17:01 PM »
The new planet animations look great in game. I like the slower rotation rate from previous iterations.

Offline leeor_net

• Administrator
  • OPHD Lead Developer
    • LairWorks Entertainment
Re: OutpostHD Planet Animation Tool
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2021, 08:47:18 PM »
Thank you!

I've been wanting to update them for awhile and especially wanted a slower rotation to fit better with the moody atmosphere. The original ones I did only had 64 frames because I was assembling them by hand in PhotoShop and I avoided doing more because of that.

Figured it was time for an upgrade and why not go ahead and build a tool to help me do that?