Author Topic: General Protection Fault. Game crash for Outpost 1.5.  (Read 10683 times)

Offline Wealcwazy

General Protection Fault. Game crash for Outpost 1.5.
« on: July 12, 2019, 11:00:16 PM »
Does anyone know how to avoid the dreaded General Protection Fault game crash? 

This happens to me both when loading a Large saved game or randomly when I get very far with large multiple colonies. 

Even though I have successfully saved my games, I can't load them so they're useless.  It's Very frustrating, but it doesn't happen when loading medium and small sized saved games. 

Is there a certain internal threshold?  This happens both on the Emulator from this site as well as when I run from the original disk in Windows XP. 

Gives Error message 0007:889B or 0007:88B7

Screenshots provided

Offline leeor_net

• Administrator
  • OPHD Lead Developer
    • LairWorks Entertainment
Re: General Protection Fault. Game crash for Outpost 1.5.
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2019, 10:55:43 AM »
Sounds like Shitty ProgrammingTM rearing its head again. It's hard to not get too technical about it, but basically it's a pointer bug -- the game code is trying access memory that it isn't allowed to. It's almost always caused by a defect in the application itself, on occasion it's caused by a misbehaving driver.

I know of no work arounds for this, not sure anybody else has any advice. I really wish I could be more helpful.  :-[

Offline White Claw

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2019, 11:25:26 PM »
I remember getting this too, but unfortunately don't know what the trigger was or any workarounds.

Did you manage to terraform the planet in those particular games? I remember that process being a bit glitchy at times.

Offline Wealcwazy

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2019, 08:19:08 PM »
I remember getting this too, but unfortunately don't know what the trigger was or any workarounds.

Did you manage to terraform the planet in those particular games? I remember that process being a bit glitchy at times.

Yes the games are terraformed and when I’m very far and advanced.  It’s not about just winning the game though.  I just wanna be able to keep building the colonies bigger.