Author Topic: Power Structures  (Read 16103 times)

Offline leeor_net

• Administrator
  • OPHD Lead Developer
    • LairWorks Entertainment
Re: Power Structures
« Reply #25 on: September 07, 2017, 08:56:20 PM »
That's true for the original game but me thinks that's a little unrealistic. Still, it could be a useful gameplay mechanic -- e.g., for every solar satellite you can build up to 2 receivers. Maybe with research that can be increased. Probably the topic for a different thread in the main board.

Offline lordpalandus

• Banned
« Reply #26 on: September 08, 2017, 01:35:22 AM »
That entirely depends on how much current is being transferred to the receiver. If there is sufficient current, I could see a satellite sending it to two receivers. Could also depend on how much current a single receiver can handle. As there wouldn't likely be any step-transformers involved in either transmitting or receiving to modify the voltage, or resistors to reduce the amount of current, its entirely feasible that you'd need two receivers.

Or maybe Im not understanding the issue at all XD. My physics is rusty.
Currently working on Cataclysm of Chaos, Remade.
Link to OPU page = http://forum.outpost2.net/index.php/topic,6073.0.html

Offline JetMech1999

« Reply #27 on: October 14, 2017, 04:38:08 PM »
Definitely like Tokamak 03A the best.  And would also have to agree about a single large dish on the array.

Offline White Claw

« Reply #28 on: October 22, 2017, 01:20:14 PM »
Take, for example, DawnBringer's palettes. These are meant almost exclusively for low-color pixel art but the point is that the color mix itself is extremely well selected and with good use of those colors provides an excellent balance of hue, vibrance, saturation and contrast.

Thanks for the point out. I will take a look at the philosophy behind this and see if I can implement something similar. Maybe two opposing pallets for terrain vs. structures to increase contrast and distinction, as you pointed out.

And would also have to agree about a single large dish on the array.

I think after having been away for a bit and coming back, I'm also liking the large array. Although I also remember having discussions with Leeor about making the scale of the terrain (as compared to the buildings) feeling large. So perhaps a single dish, but a little smaller so it's not taking up the entire tile.

Offline leeor_net

• Administrator
  • OPHD Lead Developer
« Reply #29 on: October 22, 2017, 05:19:08 PM »
And would also have to agree about a single large dish on the array.

I think after having been away for a bit and coming back, I'm also liking the large array. Although I also remember having discussions with Leeor about making the scale of the terrain (as compared to the buildings) feeling large. So perhaps a single dish, but a little smaller so it's not taking up the entire tile.

Agreeing with this. I like that though. The single dish does make more sense since the satellite would only be sending down one, maybe two beams so one larger dish would be far, far more effective than an array of smaller dishes.

Offline JetMech1999

« Reply #30 on: May 18, 2018, 06:46:36 PM »
Was going through this thread today, and something occurred to me.  Even if one solar satellite sent two beams, realistically you're limited to two solar receiving dishes.  I've also seen elsewhere that once you have the Fusion Reactor, you're set on power for a while.  But you will still outgrow that capacity.  Could you link lab research and factory production to producing actual solar arrays?  This would supplement the Fusion Reactor by using direct solar energy, not just beamed microwave energy.  Even on planets that don't get a great deal of solar radiation, more arrays would translate into more power.

The other thing is that we know that satellites have a finite lifespan.  So, just like with the starship, couldn't you work into the scenario that any satellites that you brought with you would eventually die and fall to the planet?  Your lab research could advance into satellite production, so you could launch as many satellites as you wanted to provide you with whatever you were seeking for.

Offline leeor_net

• Administrator
  • OPHD Lead Developer
« Reply #31 on: May 21, 2018, 10:13:54 PM »
The problem with solar panel arrays is that ... well... they won't work on a lot of planets. I'm not opposed to the idea, actually I like it as it would eliminate the need to launch satellites but would still require maintenance (like having robots or people going out and scrubbing the panels of dust and dirt) whereas the satellite beamed power wouldn't be susceptible to dust storms and heavy cloud cover (or at least not as much). Not sure which would be the upgrade...

Offline White Claw

« Reply #32 on: June 05, 2018, 12:25:02 AM »
No idea which this one is. I think it's part of the power infrastructure?

Also, I think the shadows aren't working quite like I'd hoped. If/when you have a chance, seeing this in game would probably be handy.

Offline leeor_net

• Administrator
  • OPHD Lead Developer
« Reply #33 on: June 05, 2018, 09:50:25 AM »
I'm not sure which structure that was from the original game. Possibly an upgrade to the Fusion Reactor? Anyway, I'll get that into the game later tonight (or at least a mockup) and see how it looks.

Also, I'm rethinking my idea on the solar panel arrays as a cheap way to produce power at the start of the game. Do you think you could come up with a solar panel array? I doubt very much that it would be used near end-game but for the beginning it would be extremely useful especially since the player won't be able to launch solar satellites right away and these would be a good way to generate small amounts of power for the beginning of the game.

Offline White Claw

« Reply #34 on: June 08, 2018, 12:11:43 AM »
Sure, I can work up a solar array. Are you thinking photo-voltaic or a solar collector type thing? I think the former would be more readily recognizable.

Offline leeor_net

• Administrator
  • OPHD Lead Developer
« Reply #35 on: June 08, 2018, 04:22:14 PM »
Photo-voltaic. May not be the most super realistic but definitely more recognizable and I'm expecting them to push out a very low base rate anyway (like maybe 30 power?)

Offline Goof

« Reply #36 on: June 09, 2018, 08:48:28 AM »
I like the idea of photo-voltaic array.

But I would see it as multi part structure as surface is a way to increase power output with that kind of technology.

As to increase power it could use more than one tile to set up it would need two or more structures
- photo-voltaic array control center
- photo-voltaic node

Photo-voltaic array control center
It would generate a small amount of power by itself as it would have solar panels too. (15 for example)
It will also get the workers to maintain a full sized array. (control/repairs)
It would be relatively expensive to build

Photo-voltaic node
It will be Photo-voltaic only nodes they do need workers directly.
They should be build directly aside a control center/node and generate a bit more power.
They would be limited to 3 or 5 per control center
They would produce as 30 of power as you suggested.
It would be relatively cheap.

For the workers, at least 2 technicians.
One for control and the other for repairs.
When the array is expanded add only one technician at 1+2 configuration
And two at 1+4 configuration

The global production for an array would be between 15 and 165

15 energy for 1+0 conf. and 2 workers
45 energy for 1+1 conf. and 2 workers
75 energy for 1+2 conf. and 3 workers
105 energy for 1+3 conf. and 3 workers
135 energy for 1+4 conf. and 4 workers
165 energy for 1+5 conf. and 4 workers

Then, some tech research would permit upgrade to more efficient panels.

Offline White Claw

« Reply #37 on: June 09, 2018, 12:17:11 PM »
Some works-in-progress for the solar arrays, to show a bit of the evolution for the design. I figured I'd show these here in case there was a particular style you liked.

Offline White Claw

« Reply #38 on: June 09, 2018, 12:19:42 PM »
After the initial designs, I chose version C.

I moved the panels around a little and made them larger and added some details. I ideally made the design so you can put together a larger "array" of sorts and they should (hopefully) look like it's all part of one big solar farm. Neighboring panels will overlap slightly and hide some of the infrastructure, giving a bit of layering for your mind to fill in.

So here's the final.

I suppose the one thing I'm wondering for this is if it's too large and ruins the scale for other things?
« Last Edit: June 09, 2018, 12:29:25 PM by White Claw »

Offline White Claw

« Reply #39 on: June 09, 2018, 12:48:40 PM »
But I would see it as multi part structure as surface is a way to increase power output with that kind of technology.

I'll leave the details of implementation to Leeor, but I am a man of simplicity. I could agree on the need for a worker for cleaning and repairs (as a couple folks have pointed out), but I don't know about a building that's reliant on other buildings. With maybe the exception of the command center, I don't think there are other structures in the game that operate that way (though the solar receiver is reliant upon satellites). Also, Leeor mentioned it being a cheap early game option?

Possibly a way to give the solar arrays a bit of longevity in the late game would be to make a launchable solar reflector. A giant mylar reflector that concentrates additional solar power at the solar array. (A "poor man's" version of the solar receiver?)

Again, all up to Leeor if he wants to just make it an early game option (and delay the tokamak, or whatever). I'm just here to fill this thread with pictures.

Cheers

Offline White Claw

« Reply #40 on: June 09, 2018, 01:01:01 PM »
And here's a redo of the earlier building #373. (I'm leaving the old post/graphic for posterity.)

The shadows aren't spilling out everywhere. Though I'm also seeing these will be a continual challenge because the shadow from the sun will often spill off the back left of the tile. I can't really set it spill too far (if at all) because I imagine it will not look right when there's another building next to it ("in" the shadow).

Also, I've been working on tweaks and included two variants here. One has the black outline and the second one does not. I think I got rid of most of the blurriness that shows up in my earlier graphics, so let me know what you think without the lines. Personally I think you can the colors better (especially on small details) without the lines, but I still want to make sure the details actually pop out. I'm trying to use more color contrast to help with that, along with some other rendering adjustments.

Offline leeor_net

• Administrator
  • OPHD Lead Developer
« Reply #41 on: June 09, 2018, 04:58:22 PM »
Digging the solar panel -- it's exactly what I was hoping for.

As for the update of the other building, I like the one without outlines better. In this case it works better without I think.

Offline leeor_net

• Administrator
  • OPHD Lead Developer
« Reply #42 on: June 09, 2018, 07:56:52 PM »
Thought I'd provide an update. Here is the solar panel array in-game:

Offline White Claw

« Reply #43 on: June 10, 2018, 03:34:23 PM »
New solar panel array with connector stubs.

Offline White Claw

« Reply #44 on: July 22, 2018, 12:59:58 AM »
Updated solar receiver array...to bring it in line with the updated materials and style. Hopefully a bridge of style between the solar panel array and the tokamak.

Offline Hooman

• Administrator
« Reply #45 on: July 22, 2018, 04:57:29 AM »
Hey, pretty cool. I like it.  :)

Offline leeor_net

• Administrator
  • OPHD Lead Developer
« Reply #46 on: July 22, 2018, 11:24:06 AM »
Looks really good! Added to the current build.

Offline JetMech1999

« Reply #47 on: August 01, 2018, 06:32:33 PM »
Like it.