Author Topic: My take on Eden and Plymouth.  (Read 9364 times)

Offline Admiralkio

My take on Eden and Plymouth.
« on: January 10, 2016, 05:20:56 PM »
Link.
A lot of the story from OP2 is averted, but the basic premise is still there. This is all quite old actually, and i'm currently in the middle of an entire rewrite of it.

Offline dave_erald

Re: My take on Eden and Plymouth.
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2016, 11:14:29 PM »
Pretty cool stuff, harder to read with the font having a black background but a minor detail is all.

It does leave plenty of storytelling at any point, and it reads like a cole's notes version of Eden and Plymouth's future, which makes me ask what  do you plan on doing next? ( And with A.E.G.I.S. having a combined population of 32 billion I would say a very long history indeed)

Very Cool. I kinda like how this could be an Expanded Universe deal in the same light the E.U. of Star Wars has gone on. Inspires me to write more on mine and really look forward to a larger future.

As I read it my mind keeps thinking A.E.G.I.S. Project sounds like it should be what it sounds like, just a project and not a system colonizing juggernaut, but whatever that's me.

Does A.E.G.I.S. stand for something?

Regardless, let us know what you plan to do next!
-David R.V.

-GMT400 fan
-OPU Influencer

Offline Hooman

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2016, 09:04:20 AM »
Terra Lanais, and Nguyen Tarrant. A Lanister and a tyrant. I can see where this is going. Game of Evacuation Module. With tensions mounting over resources and space, a tale of sex and violence unfolds as people vie for control. Research and assassinations. Intrigue and war. Who do I have to sleep with to get off this planet? Meanwhile, on the outer fringes of the colony, insufficient attention is paid to the great wall which will soon be breached. The blight is coming.
 ;)

Always fun to see new stories.  :)

Offline Admiralkio

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2016, 07:09:39 PM »
Thanks for the feedback. I couldn't remove the black background without annihilating the format all together unfortunately.
If you want to read some of the re-write i'm doing it is available on my forums HERE.

Also, Hooman. Good idea...i'l just, steal it.
:)

@dave_erald
It was intended for a game server i ran some time ago, and lore was to be discovered via players influencing events.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2016, 07:18:49 PM by Admiralkio »

Offline dave_erald

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2016, 07:23:29 PM »
Nice artwork. Yours?

The NYX Colony ship looks sweet.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2016, 07:30:16 PM by dave_erald »
-David R.V.

-GMT400 fan
-OPU Influencer

Offline Admiralkio

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2016, 08:09:05 PM »
Unfortunately not mine. I found it via google images.

Offline Hooman

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2016, 03:44:58 AM »
They images did fit in nicely. I assume they were all "borrowed"?

Offline Admiralkio

« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2016, 10:30:22 AM »
Hey guys.
Wrote something new...
Here!

Offline dave_erald

« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2016, 03:39:16 PM »
You'll have to excuse me from reading this for a couple of weeks, if I don't stay focused on my own I'm going to start confusing shit. I quickly skimmed over the history doc and this newest addition and I think I will very much like it, I just need to hold off getting engrossed in it until I gain some good distance on mine.

Do you plan on it only being yourself writing in this (series, historical universe, I'm not sure how to identify it) or are you willing to allow people to jump in at different places? There's a lot of history to cover. I'm not offering right at this moment but I am curious.

Good stuff.
-David R.V.

-GMT400 fan
-OPU Influencer

Offline Admiralkio

« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2016, 03:58:04 PM »
People are certainly free to hop in if they want, although i'm going to definitely be writing a few chapters.

Offline leeor_net

• Administrator
  • OPHD Lead Developer
    • LairWorks Entertainment
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2016, 01:32:23 PM »
So question... how many survivors fled from earth?

I ask because you mention that one of the factions (one faction) has a population of over 32 billion... even with genetic engineering and people having kids constantly from the time they hit child bearing age (which can be as young as 6 - 9 btw for females), you're never going to see that kind of a population in 350 years. The Outpost series is known for taking a 'hard science' approach to things and while Outpost 2 bends that bit it doesn't do anything completely unrealistic with it.

Not trying to rain on parades here, just saying that the numbers you're proposing are practically impossible in the time frame given. By the end you're giving rise to more than 1.5 billion new people per year which is an impossibly high growth rate for humans. And this is based off of a super simple equation that doesn't account for disease, disasters, death rates, fertility rates and hostility rates on various planets including morale and stress. So in reality the growth rate would have to be even higher than what I did in the 30 seconds of super over simplified math.

1000 years I can believe at double the current growth rate (actually around 760 years or so would be needed at that time frame to reach around that number), and again, that's not accounting for death, war, disease, etc.

Offline Admiralkio

« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2016, 02:27:58 PM »
Most of it was just 'random' numbers. I didn't quite really think about it.

Offline Sirbomber

"As usual, colonist opinion is split between those who think the plague is a good idea, and those who are dying from it." - Outpost Evening Star

Outpost 2 Coding 101 Tutorials

Offline Hooman

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2016, 01:57:51 AM »
Lol. You guys are silly.

@leeor_net: I want to see that calculation! :p

Actually, using your figure of child bearing by 6, needing 2 people to produce offspring, needing 4 offspring per couple to double the population every generation (assuming no premature deaths), then each couple could meet their "quota" of 4 kids by age 10, giving 35 doubling periods in a 350 year span (350/10 = 35). That means the population will multiply by 2**35 at that growth rate, over a 350 year period.
2**35 = 34359738368  (34 billion)

Assuming you start with at least 2 colonists, that is possible. Granted, not every couple is ready to procreate by age 6, and of course there are occasional premature deaths. However, there is some wiggle room in that estimation. The initial number of colonists is likely larger than 2, so multiply by a bit. Plus, the estimation assumes 4 kids appear suddenly at 10 year increments, rather than 1 per year between the years 6-10, so that simplification actually retards the growth rate that is possible. Further, with artificial insemination, available today, it's possible to have many kids at once. It also extends the period of fertility for each female, since they can continue having kids even when their own eggs are no longer suitable. That means kids beyond age 40, not just kids beyond age 10. Mind you, the Outpost 2 storyline mucks with longevity, so who knows what number is appropriate.

As for how they'd manage that growth, I have no idea.

The thought also leads to some potentially disturbing conversations.
F: How many kids do you think we'll have?
M: We're going to have an army!
« Last Edit: January 14, 2016, 01:59:51 AM by Hooman »

Offline dave_erald

« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2016, 07:29:45 AM »
I think TLC did a show like that, 21 kids and counting right?
-David R.V.

-GMT400 fan
-OPU Influencer

Offline Admiralkio

« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2016, 09:00:17 AM »
Hokay, enough about population.
I'l have a surprise later today for you guys.

Offline leeor_net

• Administrator
  • OPHD Lead Developer
    • LairWorks Entertainment
« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2016, 05:25:55 PM »
So... I haven't seen the surprise. Is it still coming or is this a Christmas/New Years type of deal?