Author Topic: OP2Mapper Version 1.9 Final  (Read 8433 times)

Offline plymoth45

OP2Mapper Version 1.9 Final
« Reply #25 on: January 17, 2004, 09:13:14 PM »
ok, i just niticed i hadn't updated to 1.9 lol, ok, i c the dif

Offline Ex Death

« Reply #26 on: March 13, 2004, 03:21:52 AM »
I can't even use it, Ive updated it to the newest ver and when i start it up, I see the Splash screen and then it goes through the Loding stuff then it just stops loading the Program i can't even get to to load up all the way

Sorry if you can understand it, its 3:30 Am here and i can't sleep

Edit: @_@ Nvm Got it working, Im sutch a dunce
« Last Edit: March 13, 2004, 03:35:15 AM by Ex Death »
Screw life, Screw friends
Into darkness, i decend

Into darkness, i decend
We all begin, Fate and destiny
intertwined then unwoven to
Reveal a picture that is our lives.

Copyright John sisk 2003

Offline TH300

• http://op3game.net
« Reply #27 on: April 01, 2004, 04:07:50 PM »
Great work. Now I can do, what I always wanted to do.

Offline Norsehound

« Reply #28 on: May 02, 2004, 11:52:10 PM »
Problem:

Run-time error '339';

Component 'MSCOMCTL.OCX' or one of it's dependancies not currently registered: a file is missing or invalid

Solution?
Food supply in Surplus. Power levels Optimal. Morale is Good.

Offline gpgarrettboast

• Administrator
« Reply #29 on: May 03, 2004, 07:34:51 AM »
You probably just need an updated version. You can get it here:

http://activex.microsoft.com/controls/vb6/MSComCtl.cab

Offline Norsehound

« Reply #30 on: May 03, 2004, 09:38:37 AM »
I uploaded all the patches and I still have the problem.

Strange...

Offline ZeusBD

« Reply #31 on: May 03, 2004, 01:22:37 PM »
I have a problem as well, off the top of my head it did say something about a missing file or something like that....and I did download and install the latest version. I'm running Windows XP.
In the dark I'm at home, in the light I'm on the battlefield. A Dragon's life is a constant struggle for survival. But in the end, we will prevail.
Go check out my site: http://www.frankandami.com
E-mail me: ZeusBD at yahoo.com

Offline BlackBox

• Administrator
« Reply #32 on: May 03, 2004, 02:26:14 PM »
Yes, you have to install the MSCOMCTL.ocx.

I didn't include it in the distribution of the mapper, because it's about 900kb and I wanted to slim down the download.

If it won't start right off the bat, (for example says missing MSVBVM60.dll) you need the VB Runtimes.

You can go on google and search for msvbvm60.dll, or "VB6 Runtime", you'll get it I'm sure.

On computers with WinXP these files should already be installed.

Later today, I may post these files on my site, so you can download them without having to run around places.

Once these files are installed, the mapper itself should work (The code will work across different versions of windows, as far as I know)

Offline Norsehound

« Reply #33 on: May 03, 2004, 05:43:34 PM »
Yes this computer DOES run Xp...

But it's on a different drive. Should I just move it to my windows drive or can it work anywhere?

Offline Kramy

« Reply #34 on: May 03, 2004, 06:16:58 PM »
Ahhh, VB. It works(maybe).

Most VB programs have weird bugs in them on my system.(and yes, I do have the vb6 runtimes)
-Kramy

Offline plymoth45

« Reply #35 on: May 04, 2004, 09:46:01 AM »
did you ever get the next version out hacker?

Offline BlackBox

• Administrator
« Reply #36 on: May 04, 2004, 02:44:24 PM »
Plymoth: No not yet.. The next version isn't gonna be till the missions are figured out, and when I implement a mission editor.

Norsehound: The mapper program can be anywhere. Make sure in the same folder as the mapper that there are no files like:
mswinsck.ocx
comctl32.ocx
comdlg32.ocx
msvbvm60.dll
If there are in the mapper folder, move the mapper out of there. (They will screw it up if present alongside the exe file)

If it still won't run, try one, or more of these:
1) right click the op2mapper.exe file and goto Compatibility. Enable compatibility for Win98. (The released mapper was compiled on Win98, but it shouldn't make any difference, since the OS stuff is handled by the VB runtime, not the program itself.)

2) Try moving it to the Windows boot partition and start it from there.

3) Download the VB Runtime, MS Common Controls 6, and MS Common Dialog 6. Install them. If it asks where to install them, enter this (and nothing else) for the path:
%SystemRoot%\System32 (for Windows 2000/XP)
C:\Windows\System (for win9x.... change the c:\windows part if windows is installed elsewhere.)

Kramy: Yeah I know VB has "problems", for the most part it will work, but if I used C++ it would take me about 4 times longer to write it. lol.

Offline Kramy

« Reply #37 on: May 04, 2004, 03:20:59 PM »
That's true. I know of a language that's really easy though.(Jamascript) Building a simple map editor(drag/drop tiles, mouse input, tileset, etc.) took me 2 hours, and now I can make one in ~ 20 minutes. Ofcourse polishing it up takes a bit longer. :P

It's also more compatible with all versions of windows than VB is. It's very similar in syntax to javascript. Much like C++, except it cuts all the crap out.

// valid program
myWindow = new Window(320,240,"Test-Window");
myWindow.writeln("That's so simple!");
While(1); // keep program running. The garbage collector scraps all objects once processing is done, or there are no more objects.

It's interpretted though(which is how it remains compatible with everything), so you can't expect C++ speed results. Everything needed is included in 1 exe though, and with the built-in "release-version compression" and zipping, a small program like an editor can be only 500kb.

In a year or so the programmer working part time on it plans to release modules for mac/linux compiling.

On my 1.7ghz cpu it averages 160fps for a simple game that copies 400 tiles/frame. Pretty slow, but it works. :) In my oppinion it beats VB, but falls rather short of C++.
-Kramy

Offline Hooman

• Administrator
« Reply #38 on: May 04, 2004, 11:39:29 PM »
You'd be surprised what VB can do if you really know how to use it. Mind you, most people don't know how to use it that well. It probably gets a lot of it's reputation for being slow from the masses of beginner programmers that use it. Heck, I started out writting (slow) code in Basic.  B) Anyways, VB is easy to learn but its probably is easier to learn another language to get that extra speed. (But I manitain if you know how, VB can easily be faster than scripting languages!)

Anyways, back on topic. Op2hacker, Can you post any of the details of your map editor if you have time? I'm a bit interested in how it works, at least pertaining to the details of OP2 data structures/file formats.

Offline Kramy

« Reply #39 on: May 05, 2004, 12:48:12 PM »
It's not just the speed. Anyone can make something run slow in any language. The thing that annoys me about VB is it only works on new windows OS's. :P Sure it "is" compatible with all versions of windows, if you have the dll's, but even if it "is" it isn't.  <_<

It makes me wonder why people design games in VB. You almost get the same speed with a program like MMF, and the dev time is 1/25 with MMF.(assuming you're good at it)

Ofcourse VB is good for apps...but so is Jamascript, so really it just comes down to preference.
-Kramy

Offline BlackBox

• Administrator
« Reply #40 on: May 05, 2004, 02:29:06 PM »
It will run on Win95. I know this because I have tested it. Of course, you didn't expect it to run on a 16 bit OS like Win3.1 right?

Also, I know how to program in VB better than most people can. I've talked to people that have earned various degrees in VB that couldn't tell me the first thing about the Declare Sub/Function statement (which is the primary mechanism to access external native code - eg. The Windows API's). If you know what you're doing, it will run pretty fast.

Of course the language is part of it (many parts of the program are not totally compiled, it is somewhat "scripted", you could say, as in it doesn't make calls directly to Windows, it calls thru the VB runtime.

Yes, I could write it in <insert your language here> but no, I don't want to take the time to learn it. Yes, maybe it's faster/better/whatever it is but I don't have any time anymore to learn lots of new computer stuff, so I stick with what I'm good at. Which is VB, HTML, PHP, some C/C++, Java, and Asm thrown in for good measure.

The map editor will run faster and more error free if you can meet certain requirements, like these (these are from the machine that was used to compile and develop it.)
- WinXP Pro (it was initially compiled on a Win98 without problems)
- 333mhz Pentium-II
- 192MB ram
- at least 100-200 mb of virtual memory available on the drives
- video card made after 1998
- closing all unneeded programs, like IE, AIM, etc. before running the editor.
- Up to date versions of all the common components (MS common controls, etc), updates to the OS, updated drivers.

Offline Kramy

« Reply #41 on: May 05, 2004, 04:46:36 PM »
No, I didn't expect it to run on a 16bit OS.

1. Win98Se
2. 1.7ghz AMD Athlon 2000+(333mhz FSB)
3. 512mb ram(max for 98 :( )
4. atleast 2.5gb free on every harddrive.
5. GeForce2 MX 400. I think it's from around 2000, but not sure.
6. Only programs running were it and netscape. I don't even have the speaker control program running. :P
7. Components up to date.

Anyway, it actually wouldn't take someone with your experience long to learn Jamascript. Much of it is the same as C++. It's just simpler, and slower. It took me a day to learn the basics of it, and I didn't know a thing about programming. It took me a month to master most of it. Not very long considering many people go to university for atleast 3 years to learn C++.

Ofcouse if you spend more than 2h/day then you could probably learn it faster.

Likewise if you're a crummy learner, or don't understand any computer concepts(doubt it :) ) it might take you longer.
-Kramy

Offline Hooman

• Administrator
« Reply #42 on: May 05, 2004, 05:49:50 PM »
OK, this is a bit off topic so I don't like posting it here but....

(and don't take this the wrong way, I was once ignorant to all of this too.)

<rant>
People do not go to university for 3 years to learn C++. In fact I know some people in 3rd year computer science who have never used C/C++. (I personally think they should be kicked out but that another story). And just to dispel some myths about computer science, it's not just learning programming languages. Most overlooked would be the theory courses. You never even TOUCH a computer for those courses. There are also harware design courses too. And the courses which are programming centered, don't teach you the language but what you are doing with the language. Such as data structures and algorithms. The language is really arbitrary and never once have I ever seen a prof concern themselves with the details of how to program in any of them. If they require you to use a specific language, they assume you will learn it on your own time.
</rant>

And yes, Op2hacker, I expect you are one of the better VB programmers. That sort of detail about the Declare Sub/Function is exactly the sort of thing that comes to mind.

And for the record, you can compile VB programs to native code (version 5.0 and up) which can have a noticable speed impact. I've written a small DirectX game in VB that easily ran at 30 fps. (Mind you, the game was still complete crap, but that had nothing to do with VB.  <_< )

And, no I'm not a complete VB nut. I program mostly in C/C++. But I find it a bit strange the reputation that VB gets.

Oh, and due to my lack of people skills (from sitting in front of a computer 24/7) I'm not sure how this sounds so I'd just like to make it clear that I'm not trying to attack anyone here. I view the people here with a great amount of respect.

Offline PlayingOutpost0-24

• http://op3np.xfir.net
« Reply #43 on: August 10, 2004, 01:32:38 PM »
when will v 2 be completed?
Great news for OP2 fans... OP3 in progress.
Official Site
Outpost 3: A New Power progress
OP3:NP Discussion

Progress in OP3:NP[/size][/font]
PLANNING[|||||||||-]
GRAPHICS [||||------]
SOUNDS [|---------]
MAP DESIGNING [|||||-----]
CODING [----------]
Going slowly... Very slow.

Offline Arklon

• Administrator