Author Topic: Customizing The Starting Size Of Op2  (Read 3775 times)

Offline jcj94

• http://techfusion-279.com
Customizing The Starting Size Of Op2
« on: March 16, 2011, 05:10:13 PM »
I'm sure we've all used .inf files at one point or another, weather we made them, or used them to auto-run a CD.  I found an INF file that I though looked odd, called outpost2.ini, and I opened it up.  Me, being familiar in a small amount with my flash drive having an auto-run file, scrolled through  Then I came across something Interesting
[GAME_WINDOW]
MAXIMIZED=0
H_SIZE=960
V_SIZE=736
H_POS=40
V_POS=12
[DESKTOP]
H_SIZE=1024
V_SIZE=768

As you can see, I have modified the Starting Config (H_SIZE & V_SIZE) to 1+1/2 of normal sizes, perfect for your computer.  You can also set them for your monitor, like my mothers computer with 13## (can't remember off the top of my head) wide screen, so I can see more.

I also modified the H_ and V_POS, starting sizes, so I could set it up.  

I just thought that this would be a useful thing to know how to use for those of you readying a multiplayer game, but can't get to your chat because you fullscreened last time you played... that and the MAXIMIZED function (a bool) allows you to just go there, and switch it of before you use OP2...

Well, that's all my insignificant/ depends on your point of view significant post for here today.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2011, 05:10:21 PM by jcj94 »

Offline evecolonycamander

« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2011, 07:06:38 PM »
about two weeks ago i came across this same thing and was trying to determine weather or not i should even bother. this dose help a small bit, thx
''The blight cant get us up here!''
-famous last words
--------------o0o--------------
Outpost 2: EoM project status: Re-planning

Offline TH300

• http://op3game.net
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2011, 02:13:40 AM »
I just thought that this would be a useful thing to know how to use for those of you readying a multiplayer game, but can't get to your chat because you fullscreened last time you played
Can't you just alt+tab between Outpost2 and irc? I'd suspect that's easier than handling a 'windowed' op2. (on Linux its even better with virtual workspaces)

Offline Zardox Xheonov

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2011, 07:54:16 AM »
well at least theres more than one way to do it, thats a releif.

i'd think this would be very useful for older computers with their limited screen resolution... or even the ACER for example.

anyhoo, great find! i like it!
Hit me up on discord, if I am online, you know I'll be gaming.

(Lord Of Pain is no more, I am currently now "Zardox" and have been for awhile on other platforms.)

Offline Spikerocks101

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2011, 11:27:43 AM »
I some what feel disturbed by this entire topic. Well, you can have it windowed, like JCJ94 suggests, or just keep alt-tabing, but the true magic is when you have dual monitor display, for you have the IRC on one screen, and the game on the other :P
I AM YOUR PET ROCK!!!!!!

Offline evecolonycamander

« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2011, 02:18:59 PM »
I never have managed the double screens... i have four computers, but only one monitor..... i guess i will just have to deal with it.
''The blight cant get us up here!''
-famous last words
--------------o0o--------------
Outpost 2: EoM project status: Re-planning

Offline BlackBox

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2011, 07:38:28 PM »
This has been known for quite some time, and this is where Outpost 2 stores the screen settings. There's no real reason to edit these in the INI file directly, they can be changed by starting a game (such as a tutorial), using the buttons in the upper right to maximize/restore and you can then drag the edge of the window to a desired size.

Keep in mind that I believe there is a bug where the game will crash if the game window is sized beyond a certain point (I can't remember exactly where but I am pretty sure it works fine at 1920x1080 (16:9) and 1600x1200 (4:3) fullscreen; at 2048x1536 (4:3) it crashed for me as I recall).

You can get LCD monitors from the internet for fairly cheap, if you are looking into playing OP2/other games on one screen and using another for other purposes you might want to just consider buying an extra monitor instead.

Offline jcj94

• http://techfusion-279.com
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2011, 11:18:28 PM »
I some what feel disturbed by this entire topic. Well, you can have it windowed, like JCJ94 suggests, or just keep alt-tabing, but the true magic is when you have dual monitor display, for you have the IRC on one screen, and the game on the other :P
... I hate you... you and your evil (paradoxically) GOOD computer...

Mines closing in on 14 years of age.

I'm glad mine runs.

Thankfully.. I *might* be getting a laptop soon...  
More than likely either Toshiba or HP... either way something better than this old piece of junk.

Alt Tabbing doesn't seem to like OP2 on this computer..  That and a few other programs.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2011, 11:21:18 PM by jcj94 »