Author Topic: Remaking Outpost 2 Muliplayer With Galaxy Editor  (Read 20761 times)

Offline trentonx

Remaking Outpost 2 Muliplayer With Galaxy Editor
« on: August 24, 2010, 02:42:00 PM »
(disclaimer I saw the Other Topic here http://forum.outpost2.net/index.php?showtopic=5069 and I'm just moving my post because it was in the wrong place, sorry about that)

1st off this is my 1st time posted on these forums. My name is Jaron DiTommaso, and I'm a 23 year old college student who has been playing outpost 1 ever since I found it at a yard sale when I was 13.

Later in Life I found there was an outpost 2, and i have to say along with netstorm is in my opinion on the best RTSes ever made.

Lately I've been going to college for 3d and teaching summer camp, getting engaged, following the Outpost universe forums for any news about the many 3d projects that looked so promising.

And you know what... it's being ****ing years man. I know it's a lot of hard work, and I know more than any body projects can lost steam because of life. (some of my favoirtie projects, like the eve online mod for homworld met the same fate.

But I saw something recently that made me want to temp fate!

BEHOLD! NETSTORM IN 3D!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=geK_mREOOFE

OMFG! it took him 3 weeks on his own to do that! The SC2 editor is one powerful piece of work! Net Storm runs NOTHING like SC2, but there is is bridge building and all!

don't know what net storm is?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6zzisUaBne4
outpost 2 era rts.

look at this madness! here is a 2d sprite engine running in SC2!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=geK_mREOOFE
-2 weeks

even shooters are possible
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qz84U36WVBY
-1 week

OK how are you guys not PUMPED YET!

That's it, with or without the help of this community I am going to remake Outpost 2 muliplayer, even if I have to model every single unit in 3d on my own! I feel like this forum is full of old vets that has lost hope, but COME ON, the engine is already done!

and I've already imported Eve online ships, Twilight prince models and even some custom models!

WE CAN DO THIS.

!st off someone allready did half the work here bu the files seem lost. Anyone have a back up of all of the models that fenrisul did?
http://forum.outpostuniverse.net/index.php?showtopic=3373

That would be half the work!

now I've allready been playing with triggers and I can make walls, lava that is timed and then comes up slowly based on elevation, Tornados, and have been watching all the tutorials I can get my hands on.

Listen we are remaking the Muliplayer for outpost 2, nothing can stop us! COME ON! one guy in his basement already did it for another game that has a history just as bleak as outpost 3d!

SO! who has questions about what is possible?  (yes you can carry data over between maps and even link maps to make a campaign!)

ASK AWAY!

I'll be setting up an email for just this project and as soon as we have more members, a site to show off what we've gotten done.

I'll be back with videos hopefully, and asking for testers soon.

I will go forward with a simple version where you can build one tank, and you can build 2 buildings, and gather resources for now.

THOSE 3D MODELS WOULD BE HELPFUL!

Offline Sirbomber

« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2010, 03:10:02 PM »
[Getting the models done] would be half the work!
That's pretty naive.  You'd also need to do skins, animations, special effects (weapons fire, explosions, etc.), and probably some other stuff.  Not to mention programming/scripting and playtesting/balancing.  And you'd probably have to redo the entire UI due to the sheer size of OP2's build list.
"As usual, colonist opinion is split between those who think the plague is a good idea, and those who are dying from it." - Outpost Evening Star

Outpost 2 Coding 101 Tutorials

Offline trentonx

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2010, 03:48:40 PM »
maybe I didn't word it right.

Someone allready modeled half of the models.

So if we could get our hands on them, then that would half of the work needed to have all of the modeling done.

also effects are easy enough to just edit together with the sc2 map editor which is nice.

but yeah please don't misunderstan I was talking about just the modeling work.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2010, 03:49:50 PM by trentonx »

Offline Spikerocks101

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2010, 04:26:15 PM »
Thou I like the idea of a remake (don't we all), I do not have Starcraft 2. I would probably not be able to help/play it at all.
I AM YOUR PET ROCK!!!!!!

Offline trentonx

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2010, 05:08:28 PM »
and that's why god invented guests accounts : )

woooo

welll you won't be to get online and play muliplayer but there should be way to get you the editor/ game testing.  

Offline Sirbomber

« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2010, 05:22:22 PM »
You're missing the point.
"As usual, colonist opinion is split between those who think the plague is a good idea, and those who are dying from it." - Outpost Evening Star

Offline trentonx

« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2010, 06:26:00 PM »
You're missing the point.
missing what point?

The fact that People who don't have sc2 can't help?
(edit: to clarify I get this point and it is the main drawback of the project)

Or the point that it's a lot of work?

yes it is a lot of work, Your missing the point, If someone has the models he made I won't have to make them over again. He said they were free use.

That  will take out maybe 5% of the time it will take to finish the project.

5% is a LOT of time.

And having art assest ready to goes helps push a games devopment forward as it gives a clearer vision of what it will be when it's done.

If I could get the file in that thread, I could easily import them to max, add an animation for the wheels to move, and make a video of 3d outpost units moving in a modern RTS by the weeks end easily.

No it wouldn't be easy to finish the project, but no one else has even gotten close to finishing anything playable. That person in under 3 weeks remade a game just as complex as outpost 2, don't let your bitterness of tons of failed project get in the way of being constructive. I will do the work, and I would love help, because modeling and skining and map creation is not an easy task, and it will take a lot of work.

But even with posters like you who have given up on outpost 3d projects becuase you've seen my type come and go before, over and over again, there will still be posters who will help me finish models and trouble shot when issue come up.

The main downfall of all projects on this site has been negativity, and after years of reading these forums I'm sick of it. I've never seen a project get off the ground once the source code went out the door and I'm sick of waiting, I have no experience in coding, no experience trying to create a game engine.

What I do have is experience in map creation, 3d modeling/animation and hopefully someone here who has been waiting for someone to do something will hear my argument be willing to jump on board to create what is set out to be finished!

Those models for example, you notice how he stopped working on them? it's because the person he made them for never did anything with them! No one is going to continue working when life gets in the way and they never get around to seeing the fruits of their labor!

well someone out there that has the file give them to me and I will get them into the engine, and I will make it so the buildings and build units.

it starts with basics, and a playable map. Will the polish ever get done? Will the doors open as the units are created? will the cargo trucks actually off load their minerals visually instead of just disspearing? Maybe not by me, but i will create a map, and if other wants it to be even better they are going to have to get up and actually do something!Life isn't going to get in the way, as 3d modeling and game design ARE my life, it's what I will make a career on, and maybe possibly even use this map for my senior project for college which is due in 2 years.

So seeing as in the past 2 years NO ONE has done anything with the plans to create a new outpost I will lay the foundations.

It will be and easily editable map that will be free to the community and open to editing to anyone that owns Sc2.

You can't let the fact that it will be hard work be the reason for not supporting or starting a project. Hard work is hard because the outcome is wroth it!

this is more for the people that just want to see something come out to see the light of day that will bolster support in the coumminty again!  

That net storm map alone which is unfinished already promoted 100s of new players in the original game and they are running a new tournament next month! Well I'm not against new faces in the outpost forums so get get for new people who have never heard of this game to discover it through a new community of map creators!

if anyone wants to get started here is a great starting point!
http://www.sc2mapster.com/assets/m3-export-plugin-3ds-max/

another great thread I helped create

http://forums.sc2mapster.com/development/t...models-for-sc2/
« Last Edit: August 24, 2010, 07:23:01 PM by trentonx »

Offline Spikerocks101

« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2010, 06:55:18 PM »
No, thats not what he meant, or I meant. The point was that, thou we would love to help, after the project gets finished, and you release it, only people with Starcraft 2 are going to be able to play it (or at least only online). I feel that Starcraft 2 is great and all, but I don't think it would be wise to make a game dependent on it. If you can make the game independent of SC2, then it would be much more successful.

Edit: and about that "no one" part, several people have tried, but no one has able to get anything good done (except _A_, but she won't let any one have it >_>)
« Last Edit: August 24, 2010, 06:57:01 PM by Spikerocks101 »
I AM YOUR PET ROCK!!!!!!

Offline trentonx

« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2010, 07:22:20 PM »
No, thats not what he meant, or I meant. The point was that, thou we would love to help, after the project gets finished, and you release it, only people with Starcraft 2 are going to be able to play it (or at least only online). I feel that Starcraft 2 is great and all, but I don't think it would be wise to make a game dependent on it. If you can make the game independent of SC2, then it would be much more successful.

Edit: and about that "no one" part, several people have tried, but no one has able to get anything good done (except _A_, but she won't let any one have it >_>)
listen I know all that, I haven't posted but I've been around, I'm just being bitter because I know I can't make a game engine. I can' tpick up otehrs code and help to finish it.

I thought his post was in reply to my post about what I meant by "half the work"

I didn't think he was talking about your post, and neither was I. :P

I'm just sick of having nothing, after years of check these forums for updates everything just seems dead, 100% dead. If there was a real project up with updates every month I would be modeling and texturing for that in a heart beat!

but there isn't so this is all I can think of to do :/ because it's within my ability I feel it's like I have to try.

I didn't mean my post to be in reply to your post at all, just had a misunderstanding.
(read his post as a reply to my post about why i wanted the models and the half work thing)

I guess it's more for wanted to see his work be used even with all the drawbacks. Plus like I said if the people that played SC2 got interested in outpost2 because of this wouldn't that be great?
« Last Edit: August 24, 2010, 07:23:48 PM by trentonx »

Offline Spikerocks101

« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2010, 09:08:38 PM »
Very true. Well, I ain't great at programming, art or really anything, but I can help if you need it. :D
I AM YOUR PET ROCK!!!!!!

Offline Sirbomber

« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2010, 09:50:59 PM »
I'm just sick of having nothing, after years of check these forums for updates everything just seems dead, 100% dead. If there was a real project up with updates every month I would be modeling and texturing for that in a heart beat!
Then maybe you should have joined earlier, and helped some of those projects before they went under?

Anyways, send Fenrisul a PM asking about the models.  He'll probably help you out if he gets the message.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2010, 09:51:28 PM by Sirbomber »

Offline trentonx

« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2010, 10:38:15 PM »
Then maybe you should have joined earlier, and helped some of those projects before they went under?

Anyways, send Fenrisul a PM asking about the models.  He'll probably help you out if he gets the message.
thanks, but remember I'm only 22, I still have no idea how I could of helped those projects, and it's only in the past year I've gotten to the point where I could be useful for art.

Trust me i would of joined sooner if i thought I could add anything to the community.

but your right I've undermining the work they did do, and I'm glad they tried. I think it's less annoyed... and more surprised. since I thought the fanbase would of torn through projects without me :P

And everyone elses art never got used in a meaningful way so now that I've got an easy button for programing I'll give it a shot.

I'll send him a pm.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2010, 10:40:53 PM by trentonx »

Offline trentonx

« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2010, 10:43:29 PM »
Very true. Well, I ain't great at programming, art or really anything, but I can help if you need it. :D
maybe I'll need some voice acting :P

Offline Angellus Mortis

« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2010, 07:43:06 AM »
I own StarCraft II and I can help you test if you need it. StarCraft II has a very powerful engine (now that I have a laptop that can run it at max), I think a OP2 mod for it would be amazing.

Offline trentonx

« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2010, 11:13:21 AM »
I own StarCraft II and I can help you test if you need it. StarCraft II has a very powerful engine (now that I have a laptop that can run it at max), I think a OP2 mod for it would be amazing.
Thanks mate! outside of the work it will take I'm mostly worried about getting it to "feel right"you know?

I'm thinking as I was going to use this project to get better with the editor as a whole, I'll let the other thread make his own version of outpost 2 as well.

and then we'll just share ideas what we did best and use them.

it's surprizingly easy to share code with the editor!

Offline Kayedon

« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2010, 11:55:11 AM »
I, too, have StarCraft II and am willing to help test it. I would be more useful for the design phase, if only I could use this editor (it's no SCMDraft). I'll figure it out some day... if I want to.
But until then, I'm down for doing voice. It's one of the few things I'm actually... pretty damn good at.
"Trust me, I'm crazy."

Offline Freeza-CII

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2010, 12:15:32 PM »
well from what i have seen of mods for blizzard games thus far i wont hold my breath how ever i havent seen what kind of editing you can do to sc2.  given that i have seen wc3 editing so forth.  I have pretty much seen no one use new moddels for any thing jsut rename the orc into some thing like m4a1 super assaulter and call it some weird name mod.  If this is all that sc2 can offer ill gladly decline from playing it.

Offline TH300

• http://op3game.net
« Reply #17 on: August 25, 2010, 01:58:15 PM »
I'm not willing to discourage anyone - an outpost2 mod for sc2 would probably be fun. - But if people need sc2 in order to play it, that will drastically reduce its value. Not, because buying sc2 would cost me money (could still be worth it), but because sc2 is crippled by drm. And whereas I'm not all against proprietary software, I'd like to keep a certain degree of freedom on my computer.

Offline Zhall

« Reply #18 on: August 25, 2010, 05:43:57 PM »
Im only 16, so what? Ignore these non-beleivers and know that by making a sc2 mod of outpost 2, people will want to play the real thing.
Pumping out awsome.

Offline Angellus Mortis

« Reply #19 on: August 25, 2010, 05:48:57 PM »
DO some backwards thinking, if a OP2 mod is made for SCII, we might get a lot more people on this forum and make it more active as a community.

Offline evecolonycamander

« Reply #20 on: August 25, 2010, 05:51:01 PM »
Im all for more members in our VERY little comutity
sorry about spelling
''The blight cant get us up here!''
-famous last words
--------------o0o--------------
Outpost 2: EoM project status: Re-planning

Offline Zhall

« Reply #21 on: August 25, 2010, 05:54:14 PM »
Its like an african village around here, you give it boxes of food it lives for a day, you give it seeds and water filtration, it lives for a year.

Wow thats pretty horrible... but you know what i mean.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2010, 05:55:23 PM by Zhall »
Pumping out awsome.

Offline Spikerocks101

« Reply #22 on: August 25, 2010, 07:17:17 PM »
"Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach a man to fish, and then the Atlantic ocean becomes a giant waste land."

Any ways, besides all these lovely speachs, can you please instuct me to someway of helping with anything without buying SC2? I am best at coding, and would love to learn a new language (read that its called Galaxy or something like that, and is based of C. Think it should have been called "Galax-C").
I AM YOUR PET ROCK!!!!!!

Offline Hidiot

« Reply #23 on: August 26, 2010, 04:14:03 AM »
SC2 to OP2 is not a backwards jump, except in graphics and programming quality, and I'm not even sure about the programming.

I don't know that much about SC2, but I'm pretty sure that people who like a game that's all about fighting will not easily appreciate a game that's less than 50% about the fighting.

In other words, don't count on growing the community with that. Sure, you may get a temporary influx of members, but most of them will probably end up leaving or get booted (internet trolls).

I say good luck and I'll help with what little bits I can, as usual (like reminding people that someone already went through the "trouble" of uploading the contents of sheets.vol to the File Forum).
But I join the group of skeptics, after seeing some really promising projects grind to a halt. Life takes up a lot of our time...
"Nothing from nowhere, I'm no one at all"

Offline TH300

• http://op3game.net
« Reply #24 on: August 26, 2010, 07:26:29 AM »
I should clarify my other post. As I said, an outpost2 mod for starcraft2 would be fun. The only thing that I'm afraid of is that people may want to play the mod more than the original, when the mod is there, and I won't play the mod, hence I would have less people to play op2 with.

On the other hand it could become an alternative to original op2 with less bugs and it could even attract new players. It could also just fail, but if that happens, what do we lose? So, all I can do is wish you good luck.