Author Topic: Book For Op2  (Read 8145 times)

Offline jcj94

• http://techfusion-279.com
Book For Op2
« on: March 31, 2010, 08:41:40 PM »
I have about the first 20 pages done.  Right now i am using false names.  I need some name ideas, 2 guys and 3 girls (i am the 3rd guy) if u want me to use your name don't expect anything from me because i can't split the profit that much.  I will try and donate to the site for coding and other stuff. I said i will try.  I hope i get enough support from u guys and i hope you all buy and enjoy it because if you buy it your helping OP2 come back to life.  
Thank You to all who help.
Luv u guys like a family.

Offline Sirbomber

Book For Op2
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2010, 08:48:14 PM »
You see, there's this thing called "intellectual property" which makes it illegal to take somebody else's work, adapt it, and then use it for profit...

Edit: And this is hardly news-worthy.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2010, 08:49:53 PM by Sirbomber »
"As usual, colonist opinion is split between those who think the plague is a good idea, and those who are dying from it." - Outpost Evening Star

Outpost 2 Coding 101 Tutorials

Offline Simpsonboy77

Book For Op2
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2010, 09:09:13 PM »
With all copyright stuff aside, how do you plan to actually sell this? You know there are VERY few people interested in Outpost 2 that are not on this board. You would have to be taken up by a publisher, or self publish. Now a publisher would probably see the copyright infringement, so you need to self publish. I assume (no data to back this up) that this requires semi expensive equipment to print on a larger scale. The amount you made wouldn't cover that cost I think.

Another point, you say would would donate some profits to outpost2.net. I think anyone who would want to donate would contact an admin directly.

Now think if everyone on this board locked everything behind a pricetag. I'm not even going to list all the things people offered because they enjoyed doing it. I hope this isn't what you plan on having pay your bills.

If you enjoy writing it, write a page or 2 a day, or more when you have time. Don't rush, but when its ready just show us. You should be doing stuff FOR the community because you enjoy it. Money should not be a motive here.

Now if you wanted to give us a teaser, post the first few pages or something.
My tutorials
Part 1
Part 2
Part 3

Offline Kayedon

Book For Op2
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2010, 09:22:23 PM »
"& then as jcj went 2 bomber was like "so u c the new news post in shout box?" and then went dead."

I hope your book writing skills are better than your post writing skills if you choose to ignore everything we've said (how many times have you done this?) about how IT WON'T WORK.

</rant>
"Trust me, I'm crazy."

Offline jcj94

Book For Op2
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2010, 09:37:02 PM »
its mainly money for the group so we can have new stuffs.  And its not all novella and it involves 2 dimensions... ill give u the intro to it when i typ it up.  
Stop yelling at me im all new.  Wahhhhhhh.  YOu know u guys can be a mean family at times.  You do realize that right.   i feel sad know.  Why do you have to be so mean to the new guy.  Ive never done this before, I try my hardest but im in school and i dont get on much and STOP YELLING AT ME.
*Runs in corner and curls up into fetal position sucking thumb and whining*
« Last Edit: March 31, 2010, 09:40:23 PM by jcj94 »

Offline jcj94

Book For Op2
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2010, 09:50:50 PM »
Okay here are the similarities:
1. We kill ourselves through teraforming.
2. Multiple planets are involved.
The rest is interdemensional pepoples come and save us.  Its a pain to try and xplain briefly.

Offline Simpsonboy77

Book For Op2
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2010, 10:00:02 PM »
That is the thing about forums. You can post a few paragraphs. If people read it through then they are more knowledgeable about the thread. If they don't they really aren't in the right to complain.

You told me more on IRC. Hint right before hitting that "Add Reply" button, double check for spelling errors. I know some of them are typos, but they really make a post seem more childish. Especially when YOU are the one explaining something you should strive to be as clear as possible. Additionally take the extra seconds to complete a sentence.

See this post was of marginal length but its not a pain to read. We are not all out to get you.

YOu know u guys can be a mean family at times. You do realize that right.

I think if you look back on some of your posts, responses were progressively getting quicker tempers. Also much of this community is fed up with the same questions asked. I feel sorry for the next "source code?" thread.
My tutorials
Part 1
Part 2
Part 3

Offline Spikerocks101

Book For Op2
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2010, 10:06:03 PM »
I feel sorry for the next "source code?" thread.
I feel sorry for the last one XD
I AM YOUR PET ROCK!!!!!!

Offline Simpsonboy77

Book For Op2
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2010, 10:13:38 PM »
I feel sorry for the next "source code?" thread.
I feel sorry for the last one XD
Wasn't that me?
My tutorials
Part 1
Part 2
Part 3

Offline Sirbomber

Book For Op2
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2010, 10:16:17 PM »
Wasn't that me?
If it was, you're new but not n0[size=0] [/size]0b so we can forgive you.
"As usual, colonist opinion is split between those who think the plague is a good idea, and those who are dying from it." - Outpost Evening Star

Offline jcj94

Book For Op2
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2010, 10:17:25 PM »
I don't know, but you guys are officialy ignoring the whole topic thing aren't you.  We are officialy the most disfuntional family in the whole world.  I'm not the only one who realizes that, am I?
Plus sometimes you scare me Spike.  Any way... does anyone have a different title idea?  

Offline Sirbomber

Book For Op2
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2010, 10:23:21 PM »
Uh, no... we're not ignoring the topic.  The conversation just took a tangent.  I get the feeling you... don't enjoy it when you're not the center of attention...

Does anybody else get a strange, uncomfortable feeling when reading jcj's posts?  I feel like I'm being stalked...

Offline CK9

• Administrator
    • http://www.outpost2.net/~ck9
Book For Op2
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2010, 10:25:30 PM »
wrong section, moving :P
CK9 in outpost
Iamck in runescape (yes, I still play...sometimes...)
srentiln in minecraft (I like legos, and I like computer games...it was only a matter of time...) and youtube...
xdarkinsidex on deviantart

yup, I have too many screen names

Offline Spikerocks101

Book For Op2
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2010, 10:26:25 PM »
YOU!? I'm mentioned by name >_>
I AM YOUR PET ROCK!!!!!!

Offline Simpsonboy77

Book For Op2
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2010, 10:26:46 PM »
Yea say that in game as you are owning me with RPGs while my first micro gets out.

And kinda to your last post.

I don't know, but you guys are officialy ignoring the whole topic thing aren't you.  We are officialy the most disfuntional family in the whole world.  I'm not the only one who realizes that, am I?
Plus sometimes you scare me Spike.  Any way... does anyone have a different title idea?
We have not been ignoring. Look at the info you posted, its practically zilch.

You never posted your title here. GIVE AN OVERVIEW OF THIS. You plan on writing in excess of 50 pages, I'm sure you you can come up with 10 sentences about it. 5 pages to a sentence is quite easy.

CK9 you made my post fail because it moved while I was still posting.
My tutorials
Part 1
Part 2
Part 3

Offline CK9

• Administrator
Book For Op2
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2010, 10:33:29 PM »
I'd appologise, but I'm too busy laughing :P
CK9 in outpost
srentiln in minecraft (I like legos, and I like computer games...it was only a matter of time...) and youtube...

Offline Sirbomber

Book For Op2
« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2010, 10:45:00 PM »
At what?

Regardless, owned xINF.

Offline CK9

• Administrator
Book For Op2
« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2010, 11:04:14 PM »
I find it funny when I post-block like that :P
CK9 in outpost

Offline jcj94

Book For Op2
« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2010, 11:23:22 PM »
Note: this is not the final copy.  There WILL be editing later, all of it depending on how you react.

In your world, most people can feel things in thier 'gut'.  Thats about as magical as it gets.  Well I live in the Phyat Dimension.  The Dvah Galaxy, similer to your own Milkyway galaxy.  To be honest, I don't know why we named our planet Earth.  Oddly enough that is one of the few things in commen with our planets.  Our planet is 4 times as large as yours.  With that in mind you would think it's gravitywould be 4 times that. Well then you would be wrong.  The pull of our 3 moons keep the gravity 1/2 that of yours.  We are a highly advanced race of humans left here thousands of years ago when the moon killed your oldest domonent species.  It created us in this demesnion, and left 'Sites' that we can use to jump between our demensions.  You're probrably wondering why i mentioned magic.  Well, it is sort of magic.  Our people can control 2 of five elements, some more.  All of us can control spirit, or life.  Others can control earth, air, water, or fire.  I am one of the rare few who has masterd all five.  I have only five friends, not because people dont like me, but quite the opposite.  There names are Aautum, Crystel, Artimes, Leo, and Mark.  
     We are here to save your species from extinction.  The end is near...

c. e. 2427
     "The (temp. using Blight) has killed them all, nothings left." Wisperd Aautum into the erie remains of the planet.  It felt like the silence should be maintained for the peoples final resting place.
     "Well, let's pack up." I said,"We can watch the video feed off of the flash drives once we get to base."  As your race of humans attempt to teraform worlds one company tries to speed it up.  It went wrong.  Terribly wrong.  It caught ahold of a cargo ship trying to escape.  The scary thing is The Blight can think.  And apperently, Its realy pissed off at humans.
     "Man i hate this" I said.
     "What, all the death? You were a mercinary!" Aautum joked.
     "No, not that.  The metric system.  its not what I'm used to."
     "I could help u get used to things..." She gave me one of the 'let's have fun' looks.
     "Maybe on our trip back to H.Q."
     "Okay."
     Later we got on our 'spaceship', if that's what you laughingly want to call it.  Its no bigger that the average arpartment.  But we had 2 so it worked out.  Thankfully we each had our own room.
     "So... you want to... play some video... games?" Aautum panted after our treadmill run.
     "Not realy.  They bore me anymore." I said, breathing having already returned to normal.  
     "Wanna prank Leo?"
     "Ummm he's right outside the door, so." And no sooner had the words come out off my mouth, Leo walked into the room ran straight at Aautum.  I stepped in front and just shunted him aside."Failure" I yelled, making Aautum laugh and Leo roll his eyes.
     "Well we have one week until we finaly hit H.Q."
     "I hate space travel, its so slow" Aautum and I said in unison

Offline Sirbomber

Book For Op2
« Reply #19 on: April 01, 2010, 12:12:03 AM »
So, uh...  Humanity's last hope relies on a bunch of interdimensional beings who act like 14-year-old idiots, are confused by the metric system, and after witnessing the death of every last inhabitant on the planet decide to go play Super Mario Bros.?
« Last Edit: April 01, 2010, 12:12:23 AM by Sirbomber »

Offline Kayedon

Book For Op2
« Reply #20 on: April 01, 2010, 12:58:08 AM »
So, uh...  Humanity's last hope relies on a bunch of interdimensional beings who act like 14-year-old idiots, are confused by the metric system, and after witnessing the death of every last inhabitant on the planet decide to go play Super Mario Bros.?
Quit stealing words from my mouth, or I'll never write your story (for the second time)!

Also, does anyone else find it mildly amusing that jcj uses the same avatar as fire team zu?

The blurred lines are nearly merged.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2010, 01:00:25 AM by Kayedon »
"Trust me, I'm crazy."

Offline BlackBox

• Administrator
Book For Op2
« Reply #21 on: April 01, 2010, 01:33:20 AM »
I don't know, but you guys are officialy ignoring the whole topic thing aren't you.  We are officialy the most disfuntional family in the whole world.  I'm not the only one who realizes that, am I?
Plus sometimes you scare me Spike.  Any way... does anyone have a different title idea?
Dysfunctional how? Because we won't support a project that involves the Outpost series that apparently wants monetary compensation?

It has been stated multiple times that you cannot legally sell anything using Outpost in the OP1/2 series sense (as it's a registered trademark currently held by Vivendi Universal), and I will also add that we (read I, as the server admin) will not support projects that expect monetary compensation of any sort. (It is questionable legal territory what we do already with modifications to the game and whatnot). That means:

* OPU will not host any files for which payment is expected for any OP-related stuff
* OPU will not host or link to any websites where payment is expected for OP-related stuff
* Links to OP-related merchandise will not be tolerated and will be removed, this will be met with bans if necessary

While the effort is appreciated, sorry, I (and I'm sure most other people at OPU) value my real life above these types of projects where selling them would land us in legal hot water. The website could get shut down and I am not interested in a lawsuit from VU.

If you feel we are dysfunctional because the community is "small and forgotten," we are dealing with a 13+ year old game that was not marketed very well to begin with, not much anyone can do about that. If it wasn't for some of the modifications we've made to it, I'm not sure how well it would run on a modern OS (if at all), not to mention the editing tools and knowledge created for it, and the network fixes that allow us to play it over the internet. The fact that we still exist after this long is in many ways a surprise for a lot of us.

If we're dysfunctional because we don't automatically accept your ideas with loving arms, you need to keep in mind that breaking the hard-SF setting of OP1/2 is bad bad juju (so yes, this means no wormholes, no "interdimensional beings," no FTL travel, no aliens, etc), simply because this does not fit into the OP theme.

In addition trying to grab attention for the sake of grabbing attention (typing in all caps so forth when it's not really needed) is kinda frowned upon in most online communities, not just this one.

With regards to donations, if someone really wants to donate money to support the operation of the server, contact me and it can probably be arranged.

--BlackBox
« Last Edit: April 01, 2010, 01:35:07 AM by BlackBox »

Offline Sirbomber

Book For Op2
« Reply #22 on: April 01, 2010, 08:42:07 AM »
Also, does anyone else find it mildly amusing that jcj uses the same avatar as fire team zu?
I think there are 4 other users with the same avatar, and they're all n0[size=0] [/size]0bs.  I wonder if they're really the same person?

Or maybe one of the admins forces them to use that avatar as a warning to the rest of us.  :P

Oh, and well said BlackBox.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2010, 08:42:20 AM by Sirbomber »

Offline jcj94

Book For Op2
« Reply #23 on: April 01, 2010, 10:41:50 AM »
Ok u lost me on the fire team thingy... And yes sirbomber, it is kinda like that but i still have a lot more stuff to put in... this is 'LIKE' the end of the book, a kind of forshadow.  There is a switch that comes along and... you know what ill just continue with the book in next post.
And one other thing, I've noticed the ore underneath your names. What is that all about?
Thx guys, and the disfuntional thing is an april fools joke a little early, sorry about that.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2010, 11:15:06 AM by jcj94 »

Offline jcj94

Book For Op2
« Reply #24 on: April 01, 2010, 11:09:16 AM »
1 Month Later, Earth.

"Sir we have... distressing new, at best.  One of the outer planets, 1.25.GH-3, was destroyed." I told the world leader, trying my hardest not to sound like a insolent little child.
"How do you know?" He asked, very suspicious, and making no atempt to hide it.
"I was there just after the 'virus' escaped."
"How did you survive?"
"My friends and I are Sentiants, relitivly immortal, only dieing from natural causes, such as old age.  We are from another demension.  I can take you there but it takes time, we'd have to travel to one of the remaining Sites."
"There is no such thing!"
"We try to help you but you all ignore and rejected us from the begining.  All of you hated us, until we went underground, that is."
"Remove him from my office, and execute him!"
"I wouldn't do that if I were you!" I warned, as i began to pull out my sword. I don't like guns, you have ammunition to worry about.  I cut a starshaped pattern  around me, killing all of the gaurds.  I had to act fast, the rest would be here in a matter of minutes.  I stabbed the blade, like a key into the center of the 'star' I had cut out.  A half of a second after I pulled the blade back a dark 'wormhole' looking portal came out of thin air.  "Now do you believe me?" I yelled over the vortex.
The panick stricken leader just nodded, mouth half open.  He trusted me.  

25 years later, Earth

They were swarming.  Everyone who could buy a gun, and even some who couldn't, bought one.  They tried to defend themselves against the onslaught, but it was no use.  The virus just kept killing them and reainimating them.  Clearly the virus had morphed.  We evacuated what and who we could, but there wasn't many left after the virus hit down.  It was terrible.  Me and Aautum floated looking at the destruction of the world below.
"There dead, all of them." She said trying not to cry.
"Goddanm it!" I yelled.  The exspression had grown on me, seeing as Sentiants don't have any religious beliefs, but it still felt odd to say.
"Gone, all gone..." Aautum kept repeating.

But thats all to far ahead.  You must hear the story from the begining.  You must know the truth about how you survived, and how the tragedy started.  You must know our attepmt to save your race, to let you become a spacefaring species in our universe. But in order to do that we must start at the begining, because you must know the truth.  Not that crap your 'History' books made up.  You must learn the truth.  And once you have the truth, you can grow to rise up and become the great species you once were...