Author Topic: Eve Tek Tank  (Read 35828 times)

Offline evecolonycamander

Eve Tek Tank Ii
« Reply #150 on: April 14, 2010, 06:55:33 PM »
Please remember that this is the Eve tek tree and that Eden and Plymouth don't intally find out about them. (still up in the air as to if they meet at all.)  
''The blight cant get us up here!''
-famous last words
--------------o0o--------------
Outpost 2: EoM project status: Re-planning

Offline Sirbomber

Eve Tek Tank Ii
« Reply #151 on: April 14, 2010, 10:52:48 PM »
Please remember that either way one colony will have Lava Walls and one will have Microbe Walls (unless you for some reason decide to make the two colonies even more similar).
"As usual, colonist opinion is split between those who think the plague is a good idea, and those who are dying from it." - Outpost Evening Star

Outpost 2 Coding 101 Tutorials

Eve Tek Tank Ii
« Reply #152 on: April 15, 2010, 08:03:51 AM »
k thanks now that my migraine is gone(not that you care) i can think and it makes sense.  
-famous last words

Offline CK9

• Administrator
    • http://www.outpost2.net/~ck9
Eve Tek Tank Ii
« Reply #153 on: April 16, 2010, 01:34:03 AM »
well, if this is eve tek talk, I have a semi-solution:

have in the story of it that they scanned some of the remaining labs and found bits of information on the protective wall research (highly possible that information transferred through damaged comm arrays).  Then, they made a hybrid of the two that has partial protection from both things and is slightly more costly than either one alone.  This MIGHT satisy the balance issues
CK9 in outpost
Iamck in runescape (yes, I still play...sometimes...)
srentiln in minecraft (I like legos, and I like computer games...it was only a matter of time...) and youtube...
xdarkinsidex on deviantart

yup, I have too many screen names

Offline Highlander

• Outpost 2 Elder
Eve Tek Tank Ii
« Reply #154 on: April 16, 2010, 02:05:15 AM »
If they got to the labs, they might equally easily have found the technology lying around. Old lynx/gp's lying around damaged, pieces of walls and buildings still standing etc..
There can be Only one. Wipe Them out. All of Them.

Old player still playing. Visit Spark for a game of Outpost 2

Offline Sirbomber

Eve Tek Tank Ii
« Reply #155 on: April 16, 2010, 06:06:17 AM »
have in the story of it that they scanned some of the remaining labs and found bits of information on the protective wall research (highly possible that information transferred through damaged comm arrays).  Then, they made a hybrid of the two that has partial protection from both things and is slightly more costly than either one alone.  This MIGHT satisy the balance issues
That would require EXE haxing in order to change the Microbe/Lava spread rate modifier of those tiletypes.
"As usual, colonist opinion is split between those who think the plague is a good idea, and those who are dying from it." - Outpost Evening Star

Offline CK9

• Administrator
Eve Tek Tank Ii
« Reply #156 on: April 16, 2010, 09:19:46 AM »
bomber: shhh!  you're not supposed to tell him how much extra work it will be!

high: aye, but it is dependant on the situation that the story presents.  For example, I could say that the combat vehicles got so badly damaged that their self-destruct mechanism went off.  As long as you give a reasonable explanation at some point, you can do almost anything.
CK9 in outpost
srentiln in minecraft (I like legos, and I like computer games...it was only a matter of time...) and youtube...

Offline Freeza-CII

• Administrator
Eve Tek Tank Ii
« Reply #157 on: April 16, 2010, 05:02:38 PM »
the problem with lava walls is that the lava will eventually just go over the top of it unless there of a good size.  even then we are talking about some thing that is hot enough to melt just about every thing. I just dont see any way of stopping the lava. not even a wall made of carbon carbon tiles

Offline CK9

• Administrator
Eve Tek Tank Ii
« Reply #158 on: April 16, 2010, 07:57:04 PM »
If you can spread the heat out enough, that might explain it a bit.  If you look at the lava walls in game, the tops look almost like heat-sinks...
CK9 in outpost

Eve Tek Tank Ii
« Reply #159 on: April 16, 2010, 08:23:58 PM »
On shuttles they currently have they use a honeycomb setup with tiles on the out side of that. i can use this as a forgotten "old Earth tech" to do the walls. other then that no blight wall for eve. there is only one way for them to stop/slow the blight and that is using the natural lava flows. as for the lava wall height problem its kinda ovius that they only way to have a permanent wall is to not let any thing hit it(in other words the walls are stronger not invincible  
-famous last words

Offline Hidiot

Eve Tek Tank Ii
« Reply #160 on: April 17, 2010, 02:42:03 AM »
Take a moment to think about the terrain of Outpost 2. Not all formerly lava-covered terrain is at any lower height that any adjacent terrain. So, lava flowing over the walls is a slightly silly thing to think about, unless you can explain a way for lava to never leave the ashen terrain.

Also, the standard game lets you completely stop the flow of lava from a volcano for a while, until your walls get destroyed so the lava can spread further.
"Nothing from nowhere, I'm no one at all"

Offline Freeza-CII

• Administrator
Eve Tek Tank Ii
« Reply #161 on: April 17, 2010, 04:35:20 AM »
i dont think heat dissapators would work very well on a lava wall just because lava is too hot.

Eve Tek Tank Ii
« Reply #162 on: April 17, 2010, 01:46:44 PM »
If My 12 grade teacher can survive being struck by lightning (witch is suposively hotter then the surface of the sun) i think a well designed lava wall can survive lava for extended pirods of time. just not forever. i can change the hp of lava walls from 300 to some were between 600-1000 to accomplish this.

[size=8]note: my spell check isn't working that well at the moment so forgive spelling errors[/size]
-famous last words

Offline Hidiot

Eve Tek Tank Ii
« Reply #163 on: April 17, 2010, 04:29:37 PM »
The exposure time when being struck by lightning can be low enough to not cause too much damage, and energy does not get transferred instantaneously.
"Nothing from nowhere, I'm no one at all"

Eve Tek Tank Ii
« Reply #164 on: April 17, 2010, 05:42:12 PM »
Lightning rods can withstand multiple strikes per storm. speaking of witch why dos new tarras lightning do so much damage. why not use a lightning rod?
-famous last words

Offline Kayedon

Eve Tek Tank Ii
« Reply #165 on: April 17, 2010, 06:32:40 PM »
Approximately 1/4 people who get struck by lightening die, and almost always from cardiac arrest...
So your teacher was 3/4, which is pretty decent odds. Which doesn't relate at all to lava.
I'll refrain from answering your lightening rod question.
"Trust me, I'm crazy."

Offline Freeza-CII

• Administrator
Eve Tek Tank Ii
« Reply #166 on: April 17, 2010, 06:33:39 PM »
If My 12 grade teacher can survive being struck by lightning (witch is suposively hotter then the surface of the sun) i think a well designed lava wall can survive lava for extended pirods of time. just not forever. i can change the hp of lava walls from 300 to some were between 600-1000 to accomplish this.

lightning is quick lava is slow and sticks around.

in truth the buildings realy would be harmed that much but for the games sake they do.  a lighting rod if built right will pretty much last forever. but there is some thing that already reduces the damage of storms and such the DIRT. i dont think you could specifically tell it to reduce damage of just storms tho.

Eve Tek Tank Ii
« Reply #167 on: April 17, 2010, 06:51:23 PM »
okey then in an effort to keep the arguments to a minim forget the lightning comment. and just tell me do you think 800 hp is a good upgrade for the lava wall
(The origonal hp is 300 hp)
« Last Edit: April 17, 2010, 06:51:51 PM by evecolonycamander »
-famous last words

Offline Freeza-CII

• Administrator
Eve Tek Tank Ii
« Reply #168 on: April 17, 2010, 08:58:43 PM »
will that delay the lava more if you do that or will just be more hp with the same amount of time the lava destroys the wall.

Offline Hooman

• Administrator
Eve Tek Tank Ii
« Reply #169 on: April 17, 2010, 09:07:58 PM »
The HP is related to how long it takes before the wall is destroyed by lava. It's a probabilistic thing. I believe a random number up to the max HP of the wall is chosen, and if it's below some threshold, the wall is destroyed. So probabilistically, more HP means they will withstand lava longer.

Eve Tek Tank Ii
« Reply #170 on: April 18, 2010, 09:22:53 AM »
Well said! so dose any one have a problem with the upgraded lava wall. speak in the next 24 or so hours before it go's green
-famous last words

Offline Sirbomber

Eve Tek Tank Ii
« Reply #171 on: April 18, 2010, 10:44:53 AM »
The Survivor maps do something similar, so lemme warn you about some of the pitfalls I encountered:

1) Be careful with the values you pick.  Play around with them to see what works best.  You don't want the difference to be unnoticeable, but at the same time you don't want to uberfy the walls either.

2) If these are researchable upgrades then they will not work over multiplayer without special code in the DLL which will require you to give the technology (for free) to all players the minute any player researches the upgrade.

Offline Freeza-CII

• Administrator
Eve Tek Tank Ii
« Reply #172 on: April 18, 2010, 01:17:35 PM »
i dont have a problem with a wall upgrade how ever i would like to hear what you are going to use to explain how the upgrade is achieved much like other upgrades and research is in op2. like heat disapation for example.

Eve Tek Tank Ii
« Reply #173 on: April 18, 2010, 01:50:31 PM »
i was planing on using "forgotten" earth tech. using some of our own current science is where i get a lot of my inspiration. [will elaborate later]  
-famous last words

Eve Tek Tank Ii
« Reply #174 on: May 18, 2010, 11:32:40 AM »
how about a tech that upgrades all armor by one by useing magnetic fealds
sorry bout spelling
-famous last words