Poll

What kind of ending would be best for an outpost game

escape by star ship to another planet (or earth if you prefer)  :op2:
7 (26.9%)
destroy blight or blight mutates for better (same results)
9 (34.6%)
die (fail)  :'(
3 (11.5%)
Other (explain)
4 (15.4%)
Don't give a hoot
3 (11.5%)

Total Members Voted: 25

Author Topic: Endings  (Read 17396 times)

Offline TH300

• http://op3game.net
Endings
« Reply #50 on: March 04, 2012, 08:42:10 PM »
I always thought it would be fun to have the blight actually work and play through the whole process of turning New Terra into an earth like planet. As colonies would grow, more infrastructure would have to be added, bigger buildings which would eventually look different, because there would be an atmosphere. Tubes would eventually become obsolte, streets would be built, there would be politics, and so on.

Its just the ability to build up a whole new civilization from almost nothing in one game, that I'd like so much. (you don't have to tell me that the civilization series has such a setting. That is not the same, because it doesn't start with the same technological history)

Offline Lugia3

Endings
« Reply #51 on: March 04, 2012, 09:41:41 PM »
That would be awesome, but it would take longer than SC2 to code, and they had a full company behind it.

Chances are the 100 of us COULD do it but it would take a long time. There has been more than enough intelligence on this forum to make a game... problem is motivating everyone to not drop it half way though like Renegades.

Offline TH300

Endings
« Reply #52 on: March 04, 2012, 09:56:47 PM »
One may still dream, no?

I know it will probably never happen. But I like to believe that someone who reads this will one day found a game programming company and make it real.

Offline CK9

• Administrator
    • http://www.outpost2.net/~ck9
Endings
« Reply #53 on: March 05, 2012, 12:33:12 AM »
Could always come up with a proposal for the company that technically owns OP2 with a game that would be known to us to be a sequel but others would just think is a new game.
CK9 in outpost
Iamck in runescape (yes, I still play...sometimes...)
srentiln in minecraft (I like legos, and I like computer games...it was only a matter of time...) and youtube...
xdarkinsidex on deviantart

yup, I have too many screen names

Offline Lugia3

Endings
« Reply #54 on: March 06, 2012, 02:20:00 PM »
I wonder if Dan (current copyright holder I think) would care at this point if we made another game in the series... Maybe.

Offline TH300

Endings
« Reply #55 on: March 06, 2012, 02:30:48 PM »
I wonder if Dan (current copyright holder I think) would care at this point if we made another game in the series... Maybe.
Wait, that isn't true. At least, I always thought that the copyright for op2 is owned by Vivendi Universal.

Your question has been debated several times. As far as I remember, its probably save to make a sequel if its non-commercial. Also, anyone can make a game with different title but similar setting. Of course the artworks are copyrighted, hence they couldn't be used.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2012, 02:32:38 PM by TH300 »

Offline Spikerocks101

Endings
« Reply #56 on: March 06, 2012, 03:58:19 PM »
Mind you, if we made a separate game and named it something like "Outpost Colonies", it is unlikely that they would have many grounds to sue us on, if at all. Personally, I always thought, if there was to be a next version of Outpost, the it would allow massive maps with 16+ players at a time to play or something like that. It would take a week to win, kinda like Civ.
I AM YOUR PET ROCK!!!!!!

Offline CK9

• Administrator
    • http://www.outpost2.net/~ck9
Endings
« Reply #57 on: March 06, 2012, 03:58:58 PM »
WHATEVER YOU DO, DON'T BUG DAN!  I've already sent him an apology once on behalf of the community because people were not listenting and bugging him for the source code.

Sierra Online held the copywrite for the game.  SO was bought out by VU.  VU is now known ans Vivendi SA, which currently have control over a certain company I will not name directly just in case.  Their most well known proucts are the Call of Duty franchise and World of Warcraft.  This is DANGEROUS for us until the trademark expires, which will only happen if they don't know about their ownership of it.

It has been proposed previously that we talk to them, but those directly involved with the actual...modifications...are at the most risk with this idea, so they have the final say.
CK9 in outpost
Iamck in runescape (yes, I still play...sometimes...)
srentiln in minecraft (I like legos, and I like computer games...it was only a matter of time...) and youtube...
xdarkinsidex on deviantart

yup, I have too many screen names

Offline Lugia3

Endings
« Reply #58 on: March 06, 2012, 05:05:00 PM »
When does the copyright expire, CK9?

Offline Nightmare24148

Endings
« Reply #59 on: April 02, 2012, 06:23:05 AM »
Mists Of New Terra...
I look to see, in the mirror.

All I see, is that he is me.

Offline Norsehound

Endings
« Reply #60 on: April 03, 2012, 03:24:01 AM »
If wormholes don't exist, how can you spend resources locked in one refinery at another colony site not connected in any way to the previous base? Same with workers and scientists.

It has to be wormholes :P

It's reasonably safe to presume there will never be another Outpost installment... at least in the near to mid term. Sit back and look at the latest titles of games that have been coming out and becoming popular. Aside from Starcraft, have there been many big strategy titles? Ones without a built-in fanbase?

It's been over a decade since Outpost 2 was released. It's long dropped off the radar by now. The best we could hope for is some kind of spiritual successor. I kind of feel like Outpost 2 is in the same waiting list as another Star Control or pure Earthsiege title.

To answer the original post... if it's set on New Terra, leaving by spaceship is the best possible answer, next to dying off. The only exception I can think of is if your colony is the toho aligned colonies, which prevent the Blight from being created by virtue of being a mutual threat to the other two colonies. Or so the lore for the Trade center suggests. How often is THAT story threat pursued?
Food supply in Surplus. Power levels Optimal. Morale is Good.

Offline Hooman

• Administrator
Endings
« Reply #61 on: April 03, 2012, 03:43:04 AM »
It has to be wormholes
... or "plotholes" :P

Offline Norsehound

Endings
« Reply #62 on: April 03, 2012, 03:50:23 AM »
Homeworld had a neat gimmick explaining RU use between ships in space. Science! Attempted to make workable Wormholes for travel, but it didn't become practical enough to send entire ships through. It was good enough only for sending atomic particles across vast distances.

So they equipped it on frigate-sized ships to beam resources back and forth by individual particles. Since the Mothership (the Kushan one visibly) divides up incoming resources down to their elements, it all works out.

That science is a bit far beyond Outpsot 2's level (and I'm certainly not suggesting new technologies based on this), but If I really wanted an answer for that one it was one that fit. Bear in mind that the designers of this technology only discovered they were not native to the planet a little under a hundred years beforehand.
Food supply in Surplus. Power levels Optimal. Morale is Good.

Offline Freeza-CII

• Administrator
Endings
« Reply #63 on: April 03, 2012, 06:13:48 AM »
hehe wormholes and all that is nice but dont forget you have to maintain there opening with exotic negative matter or it will be to small or just close. SO. Ill suggest a story that seems a bit more realistic.

Space ship is in orbit but has ion drive failure people are stuck in stasis. wind up back on new terra not knowing it is new terra and calls it bob. of course where is the blight and the savants and the obital platform so they could send there dreams out. well maybe they wanted to leave to or the blight died off because there was nothing more to eat so it just starved. YOUR PEOPLE ARE STARVING. ill leave it at that and let your mind run amok with ideas.