Poll

What kind of ending would be best for an outpost game

escape by star ship to another planet (or earth if you prefer)  :op2:
7 (26.9%)
destroy blight or blight mutates for better (same results)
9 (34.6%)
die (fail)  :'(
3 (11.5%)
Other (explain)
4 (15.4%)
Don't give a hoot
3 (11.5%)

Total Members Voted: 25

Author Topic: Endings  (Read 17395 times)

Offline evecolonycamander

Endings
« on: March 15, 2010, 03:31:47 PM »
Sense I decided to take on the task of making a new colony I found it impossible to pick a good ending for it. So that's why I decided to make this poll. That plus I'm just curious as to what you think.
''The blight cant get us up here!''
-famous last words
--------------o0o--------------
Outpost 2: EoM project status: Re-planning

Offline Zardox Xheonov

Endings
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2010, 03:34:41 PM »
i support this.. we seriously need more colony games.
woot go get em!  B)  
Hit me up on discord, if I am online, you know I'll be gaming.

(Lord Of Pain is no more, I am currently now "Zardox" and have been for awhile on other platforms.)

Endings
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2010, 03:35:32 PM »
Thanks that is exactly what I'm doing here
-famous last words

Offline Highlander

• Outpost 2 Elder
Endings
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2010, 04:58:57 PM »
I prefer the NHCS storyline  
There can be Only one. Wipe Them out. All of Them.

Old player still playing. Visit Spark for a game of Outpost 2

Endings
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2010, 03:28:46 PM »
Ok i am still a little new here please explain this
I prefer the NHCS storyline

-famous last words

Offline CK9

• Administrator
    • http://www.outpost2.net/~ck9
Endings
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2010, 04:48:31 PM »
highlander, you talking about the original OP3 storyline?
« Last Edit: March 16, 2010, 05:12:17 PM by CK9 »
CK9 in outpost
Iamck in runescape (yes, I still play...sometimes...)
srentiln in minecraft (I like legos, and I like computer games...it was only a matter of time...) and youtube...
xdarkinsidex on deviantart

yup, I have too many screen names

Offline Highlander

• Outpost 2 Elder
Endings
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2010, 02:56:43 AM »
highlander, you talking about the original OP3 storyline?
Probably.

Still got it somewhere ? I did a search on the forum, but nothing came up  :(  
There can be Only one. Wipe Them out. All of Them.

Old player still playing. Visit Spark for a game of Outpost 2

Offline TH300

• http://op3game.net
Endings
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2010, 03:28:57 PM »
I guess, I may post it as well. So here is it, the story behind New Haven as it was originally planned for the op3 that Stellarwave worked on years ago. I took it without modifications (except formatting) from the NHCS.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Outpost 3:  Hidden Past

You have heard the story of the Conestoga....

You have read how the colonists splintered into separate colonies....

Now hear the story of what really happened to the Conestoga....

A story so shocking that mankind's history has been rewritten....

A story of the colonists hidden past.

As the asteroid approached earth, tensions mounted -- people became desperate.  Those operating the fueling station orbiting Jupiter, developed a plan to save themselves – a fanatical plan to take over the Conestoga.  Just before its departure from the fueling station, a group of people forcefully removed the colonists from the ship.  They removed everyone from the Conestoga except for a few key colonists.  Afterwards they assumed control of the interstellar spaceship, and departed the solar system with almost all of the original colonists left behind.

When an earth-like planet could not be found, the people on the Conestoga were awakened.  They chose a Mars-like planet to settle on.  They called it New Terra, and they quickly established a colony there and named it Eden.  The colony prospered and grew, however not all was well in the colony.  The colonists who had been allowed to remain on the Conestoga when it was hijacked, were guarded.  Their freedoms were limited...  People didn't trust them...  As a result, those same colonists began devising a plan to separate from the colony and found another one.  Within a short time, they succeeded in separating from Eden and in founding another colony.  The called it Plymouth, for just like the Plymouth of earth, it served as a refuge for those escaping persecution.  At first Eden did nothing – they couldn't do anything. Eden attempted to reason with Plymouth, but Plymouth wouldn't listen.  Plymouth no longer trusted Eden.  Then came Eden's plans to terraform New Terra.  Plymouth immediately protested such an action, for unlike Eden's scientists, the original colonists from the Conestoga knew how dangerous the technology could be in unskilled hands.  In order to get Eden's attention, Plymouth temporarily shut down the communication satellite.  However, they could not reactivate it, and the colonies split even further apart.  As time passed and the colonies grew, Eden began devising a way to take over the Plymouth colony and place the colonists back into Eden's control once again.  Eden scientists soon devised a laser weapon based on encrypted technology from the Conestoga.  Then came the development of vehicles to mount the weapons on...  Within a short time, Eden would have enough vehicles to force Plymouth to surrender, hopefully without losing a single life. What happened next, however, came as a surprise to both Eden and Plymouth.

Eden's experiments with terraforming went terribly wrong.  The lab where the terraforming experiments were being conducted erupted in an enormous explosion.  The explosion released a microbe that slowly began to spread destroying everything biological in its path.  This difficulty delayed Eden's attack on Plymouth and gave Plymouth time to prepare itself.  Within a short time, Plymouth developed a weapon as well – the microwave.  As time passed and the microbe growth spread, the two colonies would be plunged into a ruthless and desperate war.

New Haven
Those colonists who had been forced off the Conestoga and left behind, constructed a new starship.  Adding onto the refueling station, they constructed a starship faster than the Conestoga.  Somehow they found a way to track the Conestoga's path, and so they followed it to New Terra.  Upon arrival to New Terra, they found numerous abandoned colonies, what appeared to be weapons damage, and most peculiar – some strange microbe growth that nearly covered the planet. They soon discovered just what the microbe was.  The microbe was developed on earth as a way for the colonists from the Conestoga to terraform a planet if an earth-like planet could not be found.  The proposed theory could potentially be dangerous, but just like nuclear fission, if it was used correctly, the results could be immensely beneficial. Unfortunately, the rebels who had taken over the Conestoga knew little about the microbe, much less how to control it.  They had foolishly unleashed its power without any knowledge of the consequences.  However, those scientists who had been trained for the interstellar mission knew how to control the microbe, and so the new arrivals quickly developed a way to do so.  Once they had the materials to control the microbe, they landed on New Terra.  They established their colony ironically between the original sites of Plymouth and Eden.  They called the colony New Haven, for finally they had a safe place to settle down and prosper – or so they thought.  With the colony established, they went about killing off the microbe, except for specifically confined areas.  These confined areas, where they left the microbe, would be used to truly terraform New Terra into an earth-like planet.

Hundreds of miles away, the remaining Eden colonist watched as Plymouth launched their last module into orbit.  They were alone now, except for a few Plymouth colonist who could not get to the spaceport in time.  The Eden colonists returned to what was left of their base... to wait...  to die....  Weeks passed, yet the blight wasn't getting closer; in fact, to their surprise, it was dying off.  In this new ray of hope, the colonist formed a scouting party to find out what was happening.  They headed for one of their previous bases.   If the blight was in fact dying off, then they could resettle back in that base.

The number of Plymouth colonists left on New Terra was smaller than that of Eden.  These colonists attempted to rebuild their last colony for whatever amount of time remained.  However, they too soon found that the blight seemed to be dying off.

Both Eden and Plymouth began making plans to move back to one of their earlier colonies (perhaps even all the way to their original colonies).  Who will discover New Haven's presence first?  How will the colonies respond to New Haven's presence?  Will the computers view New Haven as a threat because they are killing off the blight?  How will New Haven respond?

Endings
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2010, 03:42:38 PM »
One huge problem with that. in outpost 1 you bring 200 colonists to the planet and then they separate.  (thumbsdown)
Other wise that was excellent.  (thumbsup)

edit make that two. you got the colonies backwards
« Last Edit: March 17, 2010, 03:45:31 PM by evecolonycamander »
-famous last words

Offline Sirbomber

Endings
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2010, 05:41:48 PM »
Another problem is that it's a massive retcon, which it makes even worse by offering a lame excuse for said retconning.
"As usual, colonist opinion is split between those who think the plague is a good idea, and those who are dying from it." - Outpost Evening Star

Outpost 2 Coding 101 Tutorials

Endings
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2010, 11:22:12 AM »
I know you are going to argue this but i still say wormhole
-famous last words

Offline Hidiot

Endings
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2010, 02:12:44 PM »
No.

If you can't find anything feasible, just don't make a story. It would be better than making a wrong one.
"Nothing from nowhere, I'm no one at all"

Offline Spikerocks101

Endings
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2010, 02:22:50 PM »
Why can't we use OP3: HP? Seems good enough, and several avenues for expansion.
I AM YOUR PET ROCK!!!!!!

Endings
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2010, 02:40:30 PM »
out of curiosity would you guys play it if at least to criticize me

come on I'm leaving my self open here
-famous last words

Offline TH300

• http://op3game.net
Endings
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2010, 03:26:55 PM »
No.

If you can't find anything feasible, just don't make a story. It would be better than making a wrong one.
I have to agree here. But no story is still 100 times worse than a good story. I like op2 for its story and don't feel like playing anything that doesn't respect that story. (in other words: bad story < no story < good story)

The story itself may be anything, if it only fits to the original op2 story and has no major logical/scientific flaws.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2010, 03:28:49 PM by TH300 »

Offline Arklon

• Administrator
Endings
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2010, 05:44:41 PM »
I know you are going to argue this but i still say wormhole
If you haven't noticed, pretty much all the tech in the Outpost universe is scientifically feasible to a degree. This is by design. Guess what wormholes are? NOT scientifically feasible. Black holes can (theoretically) technically act as gateways through space, or spacetime even. The only problem is black holes have an annoying tendency to rip apart anything that gets near it to subatomic particles, and only these particles would be able to fit through it.
Also, unless you can find a magical exception to the law of relativity, faster-than-light travel or even fast-as-light travel isn't possible, either. If you do attempt to accelerate to the speed of light, and actually are successful at reaching that speed, your ship will turn into a black hole. And possibly (I would need to do more reading on this to verify, not sure, but...) said black hole would still be moving (at the speed of light) until other forces gradually slow it down; therefore, you just made a light-speed black hole missile that will f*** up everything in its path until it dissipates via Hawking Radiation. Nice job.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2010, 05:53:27 PM by Arklon »

Offline Kayedon

Endings
« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2010, 06:35:22 PM »
Escape by Starship = OP2
Die = Worst game ever
Don't give a hoot = Best answer ever
Other = Too much effort
Destroy Blight = You have smart people

I don't want any. :3
"Trust me, I'm crazy."

Endings
« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2010, 08:47:40 PM »
Escape by Starship = OP2
agreed
Die = Worst game ever
no its a tragedy
meh
Other = Too much effort
lazy
i know
i should have added more.
and Arklon i know you hate my ideas but think of this OUTPOST 1
what was that todays science + 10,20 years

« Last Edit: March 18, 2010, 08:53:38 PM by evecolonycamander »
-famous last words

Offline Arklon

• Administrator
Endings
« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2010, 08:57:16 PM »
Well, since then we've been working on cloaking electromagnetic emissions, jetpacks, etc...
Nothing about wormholes and perpetual motion machines and turning the ISS into a spacecraft capable of interstellar flight.

Offline Freeza-CII

• Administrator
Endings
« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2010, 09:05:33 PM »
first of all you couldnt ever convert the ISS into a ship that could survive outside the solar system let alone out side earth magnetoshpere.  It would fly apart to move it but it would be god damn slow as hell. also that thing only holds what 20 people max not that great of a idea. You back to building ship. which has its own problems unless your talking the ship that left new terra.

destroying the blight is probably impossible seeing as they sent people into space rather then trying to fix it in the first place. eventually it would die off from lack of food but that could take 1000s of years.

black holes are just out of the question.

Endings
« Reply #20 on: March 18, 2010, 09:41:52 PM »
actually the iss plans describe something larger and we are currently attempting quantum and B-H ROM for computers. that is today, here, and lastly now. and science is making leaps and bounds every day. you know if i where you i would have stopped by now seeing as i seem to have an argument for every thing but you being you seem to have an counter argument for every thing too so tomorrow i will move the worm hole stuff into another topic. so we can debate this separately and more organized.  
« Last Edit: March 18, 2010, 09:48:20 PM by evecolonycamander »
-famous last words

Offline Kayedon

Endings
« Reply #21 on: March 18, 2010, 10:00:19 PM »
Escape by Starship = OP2
agreed
Die = Worst game ever
no its a tragedy
meh
Other = Too much effort
lazy
i know
i should have added more.
Don't care if it's a tragedy, this isn't Shakespeare. When people play a game, they play to win. If you invest 5 hours in a game and in the end everyone dies, you've done nothing.
I don't have time to type a story, hence why I said Other = too much effort.
"Trust me, I'm crazy."

Offline CK9

• Administrator
Endings
« Reply #22 on: March 18, 2010, 10:03:33 PM »
Die = Worst game ever
So you're saying ignorance is worse than apathy?
CK9 in outpost
srentiln in minecraft (I like legos, and I like computer games...it was only a matter of time...) and youtube...

Offline Kayedon

Endings
« Reply #23 on: March 18, 2010, 10:06:52 PM »
Die = Worst game ever
So you're saying ignorance is worse than apathy?
I'm saying I'm too sick to understand anything beyond barbaric English. Try again.
"Trust me, I'm crazy."

Offline CK9

• Administrator
Endings
« Reply #24 on: March 18, 2010, 10:31:26 PM »
well, if you die, you are probably ignorant to how to win.  If you don't give a hoot, you're apathetic.
CK9 in outpost