Author Topic: OP2 DS  (Read 5025 times)

Offline fire team zu

OP2 DS
« on: March 02, 2010, 07:57:14 PM »
ive thougt about this before but not for mac or lynux but handheld like ipod psp ds things like that i mean talk about more games maby we could release it for $5 at walmart or something ive thought about it many times its worked with quake quake2 unreal cnc1 ra1 starcraft (blizzard cancled) imean why not op2ds or op2psp thigs like that it would rock
Start The Protest

No
More
GFWL
Who Ever Invented It Should Die
The Differance between a good game and a bad game is windows vista

IM GONNA BAN YOU SO HARD YOULL BE STUCK IN OUTPOST 2    (fave saying to noob people in source games)

Offline Sirbomber

Re: Outpost 2 For Other Platforms
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2010, 08:39:45 PM »
I'm getting sick of this fire team zu.  How many times have you spammed about this now?  You don't even know what you're talking about, do you?

I can't believe I'm even bothering to explain why that can't be done (I'd prefer just saying it's a stupid idea and leave it at that).

We can't port it to those platforms because we don't have the source code.  How many times do we have to explain this to you?  Programs don't just magically appear out of thin air.  And even if we did, there's this thing called "intellectual property law" that prevents us from selling it because OP2 belongs to another company (heck, distributing it at all is illegal, but selling it is even worse).  Not to mention, how would you go about selling it?  Walk up to some random employee and ask very politely if they would sell your game for $5?  (Note: that price wouldn't even make up for the price of the media you put the game on, let alone development costs).  Of course, this is all assuming you get the rights to put your software on developer X's console, which is unlikely and expensive.  Unless you just take the "homebrew" approach which, since you obviously aren't in enough legal trouble yet, you might prefer...

I'm done for now.  I don't know why I bothered writing all of that.  It's not like you'll even read it, and even if you do I doubt you'll understand half of what I'm talking about.
"As usual, colonist opinion is split between those who think the plague is a good idea, and those who are dying from it." - Outpost Evening Star

Outpost 2 Coding 101 Tutorials

Offline fire team zu

OP2 DS
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2010, 05:28:38 PM »
see op2ds is possiable if you disagree explan this to me http://quake.drunkencoders.com/
or starcraft ds
beacuse i want answers if you say no
Start The Protest

No
More
GFWL
Who Ever Invented It Should Die
The Differance between a good game and a bad game is windows vista

IM GONNA BAN YOU SO HARD YOULL BE STUCK IN OUTPOST 2    (fave saying to noob people in source games)

Offline Kayedon

OP2 DS
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2010, 05:55:59 PM »
see op2ds is possiable if you disagree explan this to me http://quake.drunkencoders.com/
or starcraft ds
Oh. My. GOD.
First off, this is about  Mac OS X port, and he simply made it compatible.
Two, WE CAN'T MAKE IT FOR THE f***ING DS.
How many times must we inform you?
SirBomber, fire away.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2010, 05:56:41 PM by Kayedon »
"Trust me, I'm crazy."

Offline Hidiot

OP2 DS
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2010, 06:04:22 AM »
Making OP2 run on other PC-based systems will only work because those systems have some applications that emulate enough of the windows platform for the game to run.

You can't do that with portable devices.

Now, you can be good enough to write the code yourself, but then you should follow ray's example (with the iPhone app) and SHOW PROGRESS. Even ray went absent for a while now.
"Nothing from nowhere, I'm no one at all"

Offline Sirbomber

OP2 DS
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2010, 07:03:41 AM »
Sirbomber, fire away. [no capital b you fool]
So, fire team zu, how does it feel to be hated by everyone else on the forum?

Seriously, if I hear one more thing about "OP2DS" I'm going to rally as many people as possible to demand the admins ban you.  We've told you it won't work.  We've told you why it won't work.  Yet you refuse to listen to any of us.  Now, I don't know why you ignore us.  Maybe you lack basic reading skills.  I really don't care.  Just to humor you I will tell you one more time why it's impossible.  If I have to do it again I will request you be banned for excessive spam.

Why OP2DS Is Impossible (in words fire team zu might understand)
We don't have the source code for OP2.  Now, since you're a total moron you probably don't know what "source code" is.  To over-simplify it to the point of absurdity, it's a magic piece of paper inside your computer that tells your computer how to run your program/game.   However, since source code is written by a lot of well-paid, (usually) smart people, it's very expensive.  So companies don't like to give it out.  They use a special device to turn the source code into a program, so the computer can read it but a human can't.

Unfortunately, when source code is turned into a program, the resulting program will only run on one platform (in OP2's case, Windows).  Can you run OP2 on a Mac?  No.  Not without special software, anyways.  OP2 won't work on a Mac because it was designed for Windows.  For that same reason (among others), OP2 won't work on the DS, or any other system.  Unlike with a Mac though, you can't just make it work with special software.  You would need that source code I was talking about, so that you could make special changes to it so it would work on that system.

Now, in the case of Quake DS, they already have the source code I believe, as id software releases the source for their old games several years after their release free of charge (I think?).  Starcraft DS, I assume, is rewriting the game's source from scratch, which is what we would have to do.  But there are a few big difference between Starcraft and Outpost 2.  First off, let's talk players.  Starcraft has been played by millions of people worldwide and still has a very large fanbase.  Outpost 2 has been played by maybe thousands of people, and there are no more than 50 active players still around.  Additionally, Starcraft's inner working have been better analyzed and documented than have OP2's, making it far easier (but still difficult) to rewrite the game's source code.  Of course, these are double-edged swords.  Starcraft's popularity means more people will find out about that project, and the company that owns Starcraft would have every legal right to shut down the project, or even sue its developers.  Would you really want that to happen to us?
"As usual, colonist opinion is split between those who think the plague is a good idea, and those who are dying from it." - Outpost Evening Star

Offline Hidiot

OP2 DS
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2010, 08:13:07 AM »
I'm afraid I still spotted some complicated words and phrases there, Sirbomber.

Still, if this is so much of an issue, we should all just stick to one topic about it (and have mods/admins just move fire team zu's  posts on the topic in there). The way it is now, some topics that may be of use to certain people are getting spammed with this useless subject.

To clarify, the this is fire team zu's idea.

Idea on which I will comment further a bit: OP2 DS is one of the many interesting ideas that have been thrown around here. However, this one has no signs of even a beginning, so advertising it like it's the best thing that ever happened just goes against logic.
"Nothing from nowhere, I'm no one at all"

Offline CK9

• Administrator
    • http://www.outpost2.net/~ck9
OP2 DS
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2010, 09:38:43 AM »
as any professional developer has learned: overhyping a project will lead to dissappointment and therefore project failure if it is released.
CK9 in outpost
Iamck in runescape (yes, I still play...sometimes...)
srentiln in minecraft (I like legos, and I like computer games...it was only a matter of time...) and youtube...
xdarkinsidex on deviantart

yup, I have too many screen names

Offline WooJoo

OP2 DS
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2010, 03:48:41 PM »
Someone has to say this

Dont feed the troll.

Offline Arklon

• Administrator
OP2 DS
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2010, 04:12:47 PM »
or starcraft ds
OP2DS actually was made. Click here to download the ROM.

Offline CK9

• Administrator
OP2 DS
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2010, 08:47:53 PM »
Do I smell a rick roll?
CK9 in outpost
srentiln in minecraft (I like legos, and I like computer games...it was only a matter of time...) and youtube...

Offline Arklon

• Administrator
OP2 DS
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2010, 09:46:25 PM »
Do I smell a rick roll?
Slightly worse, actually. Click the link for a life-changing experience.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2010, 09:46:49 PM by Arklon »

Offline Simpsonboy77

OP2 DS
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2010, 08:19:35 PM »
Do I smell a rick roll?
Slightly worse, actually. Click the link for a life-changing experience.
I had to click it knowing it wasn't quite a rick roll.
My tutorials
Part 1
Part 2
Part 3

Offline Spikerocks101

OP2 DS
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2010, 09:24:06 PM »
Frack, lost another 1% of my life to rick astley. curse you arklon, and your little dog too.
I AM YOUR PET ROCK!!!!!!

Offline CK9

• Administrator
OP2 DS
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2010, 09:40:53 PM »
:P

I feel bad for the guy.  He had a dream, and now it's being used as a prank
« Last Edit: March 12, 2010, 04:25:06 PM by CK9 »
CK9 in outpost

Offline Arklon

• Administrator
OP2 DS
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2010, 10:10:04 PM »
:P

I fell bad for the guy.  He had a dream, and now it's being used as a prank
And I'm sure his market value has increased a million times since the advent of Rickroll :P

Offline Kayedon

OP2 DS
« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2010, 11:24:42 PM »
Odd coming from me but could we get back on topic/could a mod split or delete the off-topic posts?

I am wondering as to the current state, if it's progressed at all since your last update (which I forgot when it was because I've been too busy with Rick Astley).
"Trust me, I'm crazy."

Offline Hooman

• Administrator
OP2 DS
« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2010, 02:07:34 AM »
I fell bad for the guy. He had a dream, and now it's being used as a prank

Oh really. Did you now? Was it his handome good looks, or his amazing singing voice? Oh wait, I smell a typo. :P

Offline Spikerocks101

OP2 DS
« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2010, 02:57:44 AM »
I fell bad for the guy. He had a dream, and now it's being used as a prank

Oh really. Did you now? Was it his handome good looks, or his amazing singing voice? Oh wait, I smell a typo. :P
you spelled handsome wrong >_>
I AM YOUR PET ROCK!!!!!!

Offline Sirbomber

OP2 DS
« Reply #19 on: March 12, 2010, 03:05:11 PM »
Oh wait, I smell a typo. :P
Spike, I think that was intentional.  Or was that sarcasm?
« Last Edit: March 12, 2010, 03:06:57 PM by Sirbomber »

Offline Kayedon

OP2 DS
« Reply #20 on: March 12, 2010, 03:47:34 PM »
Oh wait, I smell a typo. :P
Spike, I think that was intentional.  Or was that sarcasm?
It was intentional, as a good internet user would know. And either Spikers is as dumb as a rock, or he was using sarcasm. (:
"Trust me, I'm crazy."

Offline Sirbomber

OP2 DS
« Reply #21 on: March 12, 2010, 04:28:07 PM »
Meh, doesn't matter.  We're getting off-topic, but does anyone care considering what the original subject was...?

Offline Spikerocks101

OP2 DS
« Reply #22 on: March 12, 2010, 04:57:29 PM »
You guys under stand he meant when CK9 said "I fell bad for the guy.", right?
I AM YOUR PET ROCK!!!!!!

Offline CK9

• Administrator
OP2 DS
« Reply #23 on: March 12, 2010, 06:14:58 PM »
lol, I didn't understand it until earlier today when I noticed the double l instead of double e
CK9 in outpost

Offline Kayedon

OP2 DS
« Reply #24 on: March 12, 2010, 06:22:48 PM »
Can I push for this being locked now?
"Trust me, I'm crazy."