Author Topic: The State Of The Game  (Read 18752 times)

Offline Sirbomber

The State Of The Game
« Reply #25 on: May 31, 2009, 11:09:58 PM »
Then it isn't Genesis (thank God), it's... some other OP3...
"As usual, colonist opinion is split between those who think the plague is a good idea, and those who are dying from it." - Outpost Evening Star

Outpost 2 Coding 101 Tutorials

Offline Leviathan

The State Of The Game
« Reply #26 on: June 01, 2009, 04:19:57 AM »
Stormy said we would share the files for genesis but never did :(

Offline gamerscd0

The State Of The Game
« Reply #27 on: June 23, 2009, 01:52:52 PM »
Well it seems all my fellow team members have given up on this project. what a shame i thought we might actually get somewhere.......

/me thinks the name of op3 is cursed :o

Offline Brazilian Fan

The State Of The Game
« Reply #28 on: June 23, 2009, 01:57:37 PM »
/me thinks OPU is cursed. Very few things here go from 'planning' to 'coding', and almost none reach 'finished crude beta', let alone a full blown release.

Offline gamerscd0

The State Of The Game
« Reply #29 on: June 23, 2009, 02:02:48 PM »
i agree

Offline Freeza-CII

• Administrator
The State Of The Game
« Reply #30 on: June 25, 2009, 06:54:19 PM »
well games arent made over night that are 3d with out a huge support staff and there was only 3 of them working on it and they didnt want to share so what ever.

To be honest if yall want to see a op3 or a 3d op2 yall need to work on it together not just sitting back waiting for it to show up.

But any way this project is really dead no one has said any thing about this game for the longest time and its been about 3 or 4 years since it started.  What leeor had wasnt that special and what zanco may have he isnt speaking about it. and stomy hasnt been seen in a couple years now. pretty much just th300 and zanco are the only 2 genesis people to my knowledge.

Offline gamerscd0

The State Of The Game
« Reply #31 on: July 03, 2009, 11:12:27 AM »
.... thanks?
i was op3 also but w/e ....

Offline leeor_net

• Administrator
  • OPHD Lead Developer
    • LairWorks Entertainment
The State Of The Game
« Reply #32 on: August 11, 2009, 10:23:17 AM »
If anyone ever feels like totally reviving and restarting this, I've got some moderate programming experience and am headed off to college for game design (I can make time. :P)

Meh. Genesis is a lost cause, to be honest. Granted the design for the engine that I used was sound (using it in my current project very succesfully) but between the lack of support and lack of any interest coupled with the incessant, unhelpful and downright belittling comments made by some members, I decided that it just wasn't worth the trouble and walked away.

If you do try this, I wish you better luck. I have one suggestion though -- don't try building an engine from scratch unless you know what you're doing. You're better off using an open-source RTS engine. One worth looking at is GLest: http://glest.org/en/index.php

There are several others that are worth checking out (look around on SourceForge.net).

Good luck!

[size=8]
P.S.
On a separate note, I would like to give this one another shot sometime. Maybe when I have more time on my hands.[/size]
« Last Edit: August 11, 2009, 10:26:26 AM by leeor_net »

Offline Hidiot

The State Of The Game
« Reply #33 on: August 11, 2009, 11:03:28 AM »
Times change.

Also, how many people are interested in seeing bits of something out of the already huge number of members around here?

If you're not impressing a potential future user, try harder. Make them swallow their words, instead of quitting.
"Nothing from nowhere, I'm no one at all"

Offline leeor_net

• Administrator
  • OPHD Lead Developer
    • LairWorks Entertainment
The State Of The Game
« Reply #34 on: August 11, 2009, 12:28:52 PM »
That works -- if you're in it for pride and glory. That's not a good reason to be developing games. There's no glory in game development (although had John Romero not been such a f***head things may be different) and so anybody getting into it for the glory is headed for a giant reality check with an ugly end (once again, I refer to John Romero).

Anyway, I'll eventually build a 3D RTS game. More than likely it will not be an Outpost based game though. That chapter has long since been passed.

As stated above, good luck to anybody attempting an OP3 OP2-3D game. My recommendation is to use something that's already been built and not attempt to reinvent the wheel.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2009, 12:30:15 PM by leeor_net »

Offline TH300

• http://op3game.net
The State Of The Game
« Reply #35 on: January 18, 2010, 01:59:42 PM »
After so long time I believe, I should add my 2 cents.

Life has really catched up on me. A project like OP3 cannot be finished by working on it only occasionally (at least not if just 2-3 people are actively working on it). I always thought, we'd finish it that way, but its turning out, thats an illusion. A year ago me and Zanco were the only developers who were still hoping to finish Genesis one day and we were indeed working on a design plan from the ground up. The main design document is quite complete and we were going to post it here on opu eventually, in order to have others help us. But time was too short for that, either.

Although I generally lost interest in computer games, I'd still love to play some good op3 one day. Hence I didn't give it up entirely and I'm leaving open, whether I'll continue working on op3 one day.

In case anyone finds, for whatever reason, that this forum doesn't need to exist any longer, I'd like to get some backup of all posts, in order to have them available in case I need them. They may even help other projects.

I have some thoughts on the whole project, that I want to share:

Our plans for OP3 were quite ambitious, since we wanted to make it suitable for players with different interests, for modders, for mappers, etc. It should run on OSes other than windows, be less buggy than the original op2, have better multiplayer, and all together provide a unique gaming experience.
If I start it new, I will probably stick to most of this, but one thing was (probably) too much: the modular game engine which should only be there for some extra modability. It complicated everything too much and led us away from the actual game. Leeor is probably right when he says, its a good idea to not invent the wheel from scratch.

Furthermore I was personally never really happy with the story. It had some nice aspects, but these resulted in too many inconsistencies with the original op2 story.
Since I'm not good in writing stories, I'd leave that part to be done by someone else. I like the idea of skipping the story entirely and just making an op2 clone, which could later be turned into an op3. That would be two smaller steps instead of one large step, making it more feasable.

Oh well,

I have to add that the climate a few years ago was terrible. It didn't encourage us much. This musn't happen again. Make that sure, or you will never see an Outpost3 or whatever.
On the other hand I have to add that the Genesis team didn't always make good decisions. Genesis was supposed to be a community project, but it never was. I can't remember our reasons for all the secrecy, but it was wrong.

Now, please don't do anything with this forum before asking us. I didn't post an official statement, just my personal opinion/thoughts.

Offline Fenrisul

The State Of The Game
« Reply #36 on: May 16, 2010, 02:20:27 AM »
but these resulted in too many inconsistencies with the original op2

Plot holes?