Author Topic: Rebuilding The Wiki  (Read 40641 times)

Offline AmIMeYet

Rebuilding The Wiki
« Reply #100 on: June 24, 2009, 11:01:37 AM »
Hm.. ok.

I just pm'ed Lev about this, and it's waiting for him right now before we take any further steps.

This was the proposal I sent to him:

I get server space here.
I create a wiki.
We create categories (I already have a raw draft in this thread somewhere).
We start filling it up, partly with data from the old wiki.
Users apply for an account, we approve them (I think we need a panel of approvers), they continue filling it up.
Once the new wiki is greater or equal to the old wiki, we replace it.

Offline Leviathan

Rebuilding The Wiki
« Reply #101 on: June 24, 2009, 11:14:48 AM »
Brazilian Fan its not about competition its about working together to make a good wiki for the community.

Everyone just needs user accounts on the current wiki and then you can edit/add to it.

If we are going to start a new wiki and move the data over and then phase out the old wiki we should host it on our domain and use MediaWiki as before.

What do people think? Work on a new one and get rid of the old one once we are happy all data is moved over or work with the current one?

Offline AmIMeYet

Rebuilding The Wiki
« Reply #102 on: June 24, 2009, 11:21:18 AM »
I vote to start a new one.
We don't even need to delete the old one.

@lev: see pm for more info

Offline Brazilian Fan

Rebuilding The Wiki
« Reply #103 on: June 24, 2009, 11:29:59 AM »
Of course is not about competition, but competition may give rise to better content. The problem isn't accounts, but BlackBox disabled editing.

Offline Spikerocks101

Rebuilding The Wiki
« Reply #104 on: June 24, 2009, 11:35:51 AM »
i would also like to get a new one. thou, we should standerize it, but i think thats called templates. it be weird to actuually get the wiki done :P
I AM YOUR PET ROCK!!!!!!

Offline Kayedon

Rebuilding The Wiki
« Reply #105 on: June 24, 2009, 01:13:20 PM »
I'm ready to mark this topic as junk and not follow it anymore... Seriously, you came to an agreement two pages ago. Stop saying the same damn thing. Just WORK TOGETHER ON THE BLOODY WIKI.
"Trust me, I'm crazy."

Offline AmIMeYet

Rebuilding The Wiki
« Reply #106 on: June 24, 2009, 01:24:45 PM »
We're already working as we speak :)

The definitive wiki is currently being set up.

Offline Sirbomber

Rebuilding The Wiki
« Reply #107 on: June 24, 2009, 04:34:24 PM »
Everyone just needs user accounts on the current wiki and then you can edit/add to it.
That's why we needed to delete the old one...
"As usual, colonist opinion is split between those who think the plague is a good idea, and those who are dying from it." - Outpost Evening Star

Outpost 2 Coding 101 Tutorials

Offline AmIMeYet

Rebuilding The Wiki
« Reply #108 on: June 24, 2009, 05:13:32 PM »
Development on the new wiki is well underway, and we're hoping that with this new category-setup things will not get messy at all.

I just need to make a few rules and regulations regarding articles. Maybe even start to be picky in letting people join.

Hm.. I'm really starting to thing we should add article-validation..

Also, I need your help:

We have this category in the wiki, called 'modding', where all user-created stuff go.
This category is divided into 3 sub-category's: Mapping, Hacking, and.. well.. missioning.
Is there anyone who can think of a good replacement for 'missioning', that is ideally also made of 1 word?
(You know.. missioning.. when you program your own op2 missions)

In a scheme this time:
<Modding>
--<Mapping>
--<Hacking>
--<..mission_coding_mayhem..>

Offline Spikerocks101

Rebuilding The Wiki
« Reply #109 on: June 24, 2009, 05:54:00 PM »
yo know, you should put "Custom_Missions", and also rename "Hacking" just "mods", unless your explaining how to hack...
I AM YOUR PET ROCK!!!!!!

Offline Brazilian Fan

Rebuilding The Wiki
« Reply #110 on: June 24, 2009, 06:41:24 PM »
yo know, you should put "Custom_Missions", and also rename "Hacking" just "mods", unless your explaining how to hack...
Do you know what's 'hack'?

Offline Spikerocks101

Rebuilding The Wiki
« Reply #111 on: June 24, 2009, 07:47:06 PM »
now i think i don't. btw, did you make the op2 page ur self, or copy and paste it?

Edit: n/m, i read the caption for the change. I will edit it further (make links work and such). very nice thou, i'm jelus :P
« Last Edit: June 24, 2009, 07:55:01 PM by Spikerocks101 »
I AM YOUR PET ROCK!!!!!!

Offline Hooman

• Administrator
Rebuilding The Wiki
« Reply #112 on: June 24, 2009, 10:35:06 PM »
Just for the record, I don't particularly mind if there is an external wiki. I figure a bit of healthy competition could be a good thing. I also don't mind if people would like more content hosted here. I'm a perhaps a bit limited in what I'm able to setup though.

I also have no idea how to unlock or otherwise administer the current wiki.

Actually, I was thinking of putting the web site, or at least parts of my revision of it into the public SVN. Then other people could add new pages, or edit things in the SVN. It wouldn't update the site, but you could check-in changes and send me a note so I could review the changes and publish them. The reviewing could also help keep it less spammy than the wiki got. Too much drive to publish things on it, without really thinking what should be on it doesn't seem to be such a good thing. The SVN does need accounts setup for write access though, and currently the website isn't in there.

Offline Leviathan

Rebuilding The Wiki
« Reply #113 on: June 25, 2009, 09:41:15 AM »
The new wiki is up and user registration is open.

newwiki.outpostuniverse.net

I hope we can make a successful community wiki. Have fun :)

Offline Sirbomber

Rebuilding The Wiki
« Reply #114 on: June 25, 2009, 10:35:54 AM »
Now we have 3 wikis, but since Lev BLARUGHed the icon I say it automatically is disqualified from the new wiki competition.
"As usual, colonist opinion is split between those who think the plague is a good idea, and those who are dying from it." - Outpost Evening Star

Outpost 2 Coding 101 Tutorials

Offline Brazilian Fan

Rebuilding The Wiki
« Reply #115 on: June 25, 2009, 10:41:55 AM »
Lol, only two: OPU's and mine (AFAIK Spikerocks101 and AmIMeYet are only workingin the OPU's one).  There's only slight differences between both, but content is essentially the same, so in the end there's only one.
Anywayz, it's better to have 3 wikis competing than one dying :P.

Offline Leviathan

Rebuilding The Wiki
« Reply #116 on: June 25, 2009, 04:40:37 PM »
Now we have 3 wikis, but since Lev BLARUGHed the icon I say it automatically is disqualified from the new wiki competition.
The logo is only temporary.

The idea is for the new wiki to replace the old one.

Offline Spikerocks101

Rebuilding The Wiki
« Reply #117 on: June 25, 2009, 04:46:03 PM »
hmm... BF dleted me edits with out asking...
I AM YOUR PET ROCK!!!!!!

Offline Brazilian Fan

Rebuilding The Wiki
« Reply #118 on: June 25, 2009, 06:16:53 PM »
Sorry, but I did not check new edits, just overwritten it with a newer version.

Offline Spikerocks101

Rebuilding The Wiki
« Reply #119 on: June 25, 2009, 06:45:21 PM »
also, you need to fallow the catagories and stuff. I.e. its "Recource:Food", not just "Food" and stuff. Amimeyet has made some good orginization, so see if he made something before you add it.
I AM YOUR PET ROCK!!!!!!

Offline Hooman

• Administrator
Rebuilding The Wiki
« Reply #120 on: June 25, 2009, 11:23:03 PM »
I should point out that the wiki Lev just tried to setup is only available under that one domain name. The other two domain names can't be used to get to it.

Offline Brazilian Fan

Rebuilding The Wiki
« Reply #121 on: June 26, 2009, 09:39:03 AM »
also, you need to fallow the catagories and stuff. I.e. its "Recource:Food", not just "Food" and stuff. Amimeyet has made some good orginization, so see if he made something before you add it.
Yep, I know. I was in a rush and forgot to add the 'Resource:' prefix.
As I first write articles to Outpost EarthWiki, and then copy them to the new wiki, there's bound to exist some organization issues.

Offline AmIMeYet

Rebuilding The Wiki
« Reply #122 on: June 26, 2009, 12:32:52 PM »
Please note that adding the prefix is not enough.
For it to actually show up in the Resource category, you have to add:
Code: [Select]
{{Template:Resource}}
as the first line.
And not even all category pages should include the category in their names.. (only those of subclasses of Game_Info.

I know, it's a bit confusing, but it realy makes the wiki more manageable and clear.

More info on this in the Best Practices page.

I already updated the food page and everything, but I still advise anyone (planning on) adding to the wiki to read the Best Practices.

This page also has some other examples and stuff.. It would really help if everyone read that.  :)  

Offline Leviathan

Rebuilding The Wiki
« Reply #123 on: June 26, 2009, 02:25:21 PM »
I think you should do a introduction for new users of the wiki for people who want to work on the wiki.

Something they can read that tells them how the wiki is set out, how to edit and work on it and what needs doing.

I think you should start by moving the data from the old wiki as there is a lot of it to the new. Thanks for the work so far :)

Offline AmIMeYet

Rebuilding The Wiki
« Reply #124 on: June 26, 2009, 03:30:44 PM »
Yeah, well.. I linked the best practices page on the main page.  That page also includes an (albeit small) layout.

I'll see about adding a small message on _all_ the work that's left.
And yeah.. especially about importing the old info.