Author Topic: Rebuilding The Wiki  (Read 40198 times)

Offline Sirbomber

Rebuilding The Wiki
« on: January 04, 2008, 09:55:58 AM »
BlackBox and I have been talking, and we've decided to rebuild the Wiki.  Everything will be deleted and rebuilt from the ground up.  We're telling you all this so you all have the opportunity to browse through the Wiki and find anything you think is important enough for us to save.

However, before you do, there's some stuff we don't want.  Useless, trivial information, like information about each and every map.  We don't need that (especially since it's already on the website).

Ultimately, however, what you deem important will be judged by me and a few others, so don't think that just because you run around saying everything is important means we'll keep it.  In fact, doing that will just make us mad at you.

Okay guys, go at it! http://wiki.outpostuniverse.net/
"As usual, colonist opinion is split between those who think the plague is a good idea, and those who are dying from it." - Outpost Evening Star

Outpost 2 Coding 101 Tutorials

Offline Savant 231-A

• https://www.outpost2.net
Rebuilding The Wiki
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2008, 10:39:12 AM »
Are users deleted?

BTW:

I'm skilled in making (and stealing) wiki code. Could make useful Navbars, and main menu... If i Knew my password :P
« Last Edit: January 04, 2008, 10:42:19 AM by Savant 231-A »
Gordon Freeman, and mr. Crowbar would own Master Chief in any part of the day.
"Come here citizen."

"From the ashes of the collapse we seek to build a better world for all."

Offline BlackBox

• Administrator
Rebuilding The Wiki
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2008, 10:47:27 AM »
Yeah, personally I would like to restart everything on a fresh wiki. (The current software we are using is a huge pain to manage things. For example, something as simple as resetting a user's password is a non-trivial task).

Offline Sirbomber

Rebuilding The Wiki
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2008, 11:02:33 AM »
Yes, all user accounts will be deleted, since we'll be starting fresh.
Please link to any pages you want us to keep. Do not post the pages here.
I can just see somebody posting huge chunks of text here, so please don't.
"As usual, colonist opinion is split between those who think the plague is a good idea, and those who are dying from it." - Outpost Evening Star

Offline Leviathan

Rebuilding The Wiki
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2008, 12:34:03 PM »
Ok great I like the idea of starting a fresh and copying content over.

What I think we should do is move the wiki to oldwiki.outpostuniverse.net for now and setup the new wiki at wiki.outpostuniverse.net.

Are we still planing on using MediaWiki?

We need input from all users here please!
  • What do you think the wiki should have on it?
  • How should it be organized?
  • What are the main categories?
  • Should each project have a page?
  • What guides would you like to see on the wiki?
  • Should we have a map list on the wiki?, one page per map or what?
  • Should the OP2 manual be on the wiki or on the site?
I would like to see some planing before we jump into it.

Thanks. I hope we can one day have a good wiki :)

« Last Edit: January 05, 2008, 11:54:22 AM by Leviathan »

Offline Sirbomber

Rebuilding The Wiki
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2008, 12:39:59 PM »
The new Wiki will be on a separate server, and it will have less useless information.  We don't need to explain what a Command Center or the Blight is.  That stuff is in our guides and the OP2 Help File.  We won't need each and every individual novella chapter on the Wiki as we could easily put it in a separate PDF available for download.  Same for map lists.  Projects should probably have their own Wiki if they're big enough.  If not, they can each have a little snippet on one giant projects page.

The organizing process is already well underway, but thanks for your concern.

Edit: Here's your mission list, straight from my OP2 CD:
c_mpgame.doc

EDIT (leeor_net): fixing broken links
« Last Edit: August 08, 2017, 07:58:42 PM by leeor_net »

Offline Savant 231-A

• https://www.outpost2.net
Rebuilding The Wiki
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2008, 12:51:32 PM »
http://wiki.outpostuniverse.net/Outpost_2_:_Colony_Search

A small memory for a big game. :'(

Also, updating the wiki could be a good idea, and adding extension that are needed.
(like moz-borders)
« Last Edit: January 04, 2008, 12:53:25 PM by Savant 231-A »
Gordon Freeman, and mr. Crowbar would own Master Chief in any part of the day.
"Come here citizen."

"From the ashes of the collapse we seek to build a better world for all."

Offline Mcshay

• Administrator
Rebuilding The Wiki
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2008, 03:31:37 PM »

Offline Sirbomber

Rebuilding The Wiki
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2008, 07:05:02 PM »
I've used this in a few missions:
Setting Terrain As Lava Possible

Offline Leviathan

Rebuilding The Wiki
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2008, 07:39:38 PM »
The organizing process is already well underway, but thanks for your concern.
Then post it so all can see. It should be a group effort. We want input from everyone.

Also I think some of the big coding forum topics should be put on the wiki such ad some of Hooman's threads.

Offline Arklon

• Administrator
Rebuilding The Wiki
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2008, 08:24:47 AM »
I think the Wiki would be most useful if it were devoted mostly to coding topics. Most other information would likely be redundant.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2008, 08:25:07 AM by Arklon »

Offline Sirbomber

Rebuilding The Wiki
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2008, 10:11:48 AM »
Well, there will be some non-code stuff (so regular people might actually use it).
We'll have a coding section, a (very small) projects section, maybe an "in-depth" guide section (with tips specific to individual maps).

The old Wiki is overburdened with useless information.  The new one will be much smaller and easier to navigate.

To reduce the number of articles, editing will probably be limited to a small group of trustworthy, dedicated staff members.  This group will discuss proposed additions and changes, and a majority will be required to approve any edits to the Wiki.  I think we can all agree this group will make for a better organized and more professional place for us to store important data.

Offline thablkpanda

Rebuilding The Wiki
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2008, 04:11:48 PM »
BlackBox and I have been talking, and we've decided to rebuild the Wiki.  Everything will be deleted and rebuilt from the ground up.  We're telling you all this so you all have the opportunity to browse through the Wiki and find anything you think is important enough for us to save.

However, before you do, there's some stuff we don't want.  Useless, trivial information, like information about each and every map.  We don't need that (especially since it's already on the website).

Ultimately, however, what you deem important will be judged by me and a few others, so don't think that just because you run around saying everything is important means we'll keep it.  In fact, doing that will just make us mad at you.

Okay guys, go at it! http://wiki.outpostuniverse.net/
Forgive my objection; but I have an issue with what you've got  planned here, bomber.

You say a wiki doesn't need information about every unit in the game and each map and such, but isn't that the point of an encyclopedia-esque database? I think a [albeit well organized] page for each unit, structure, map, et cetera is pretty much essential. And if the stuff is already on the site, why have a wiki?

Chris

Offline Mcshay

• Administrator
Rebuilding The Wiki
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2008, 05:12:05 PM »
The problem with the current wiki is that is it terribly organized. There is no effective way to crawl across the pages like the full wikipedia has. IMO, the biggest reason for a new wiki is to correct this problem using a new wikipedia type... I'm not sure how exactly wikipedi work, but from what I've heard the current one is a pain to work with.

I wouldn't mind sections for the basic stuff, like units, structures, etc. as long as they are separate from the other topics. It's hard enough to find information on, for example, tech tree making when there are 2340293 wiki pages for each mission file.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2008, 05:12:19 PM by Mcshay »

Offline Sirbomber

Rebuilding The Wiki
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2008, 05:29:30 PM »
Well, I just figured since that information is easily accessible in the OP2 Help File, we don't need it.  But if we do have pages about those kinds of things, then they shouldn't be copy/paste jobs from the help file (which is what they are now).

Offline Leviathan

Rebuilding The Wiki
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2008, 05:37:28 PM »
Well, I just figured since that information is easily accessible in the OP2 Help File, we don't need it.
Someone should not have to use or have the manual to get at that information. It should be online for all to find. People are used to using the web to find things and expect the information online and not have to download the manual each time etc.

Offline Arklon

• Administrator
Rebuilding The Wiki
« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2008, 06:52:45 PM »
Well, I just figured since that information is easily accessible in the OP2 Help File, we don't need it.
Someone should not have to use or have the manual to get at that information. It should be online for all to find. People are used to using the web to find things and expect the information online and not have to download the manual each time etc.
Everybody who has OP2 should have that manual...

Offline Hidiot

Rebuilding The Wiki
« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2008, 02:30:39 AM »
Not... exactly
"Nothing from nowhere, I'm no one at all"

Offline Leviathan

Rebuilding The Wiki
« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2008, 08:58:21 AM »
Better for information to be on the web than to have to download it each time. You should be able to acess information from any location etc.

Anyway back on topic..

We would like more input from users please.

And Sirbomber can you please post your current plans on how the new wiki will be organized etc so we can see and comment etc. Thank you.

Offline BlackBox

• Administrator
Rebuilding The Wiki
« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2008, 09:11:02 AM »
Regarding having pages on maps and stuff...

I don't really think we need a separate page for each and every map and dll file that there is. Now on the other hand, if we were to combine those into one page that might be okay.

However... it would easily get out of date.. and I don't think that a wiki is necessarily the best place for lists. Especially lists of information that people could easily find out themselves. (Name of level, map used, etc? There is a tool that scans all DLLs in the OP2 directory and tells you that).

Offline Sirbomber

Rebuilding The Wiki
« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2008, 02:39:44 PM »
And Sirbomber can you please post your current plans on how the new wiki will be organized etc so we can see and comment etc.
Well, now I have to revise the plan since people are already making organizational requests before I've had a chance to talk about how I plan to do all of this...

Okay, here you go:
I'm planning on having several sections:
-History of Outpost and OPU (Including a Hall of Fame to honor the Heroes of OPU who have kept the game alive after all these years, and probably a Hall of Shame for all the people who nearly killed the game over the years).
-Outpost 1 (Game Basics, Structure Info)
-Outpost 2 (Game Basics, Unit and Structure Info, List of Maps and Missions, Map-Specific Strategies, among others)
-Development (Coding, Mapping, Modding, Techtree Making, One General-Info Projects Page)
« Last Edit: January 08, 2008, 03:16:52 PM by Sirbomber »

Offline Sirbomber

Rebuilding The Wiki
« Reply #21 on: January 12, 2008, 08:13:09 PM »
Double-post power!
Okay, I'd like it if somebody with the authority to do so would delete or move the old Wiki and add a new one so we can start rebuilding it.

Offline instigator

Rebuilding The Wiki
« Reply #22 on: March 15, 2008, 10:43:22 PM »
Hi sirbomber... :./

Gah! Don't kill precious opu history! >.>
« Last Edit: March 15, 2008, 10:45:43 PM by instigator »

Offline TRIX Rabbit

• http://androidar.deviantart.com/
Rebuilding The Wiki
« Reply #23 on: April 02, 2008, 06:16:26 PM »
Save the pictures of the buildings and units that are uploaded, that will save a lot of time creating pages for the structures n units
I'm more commonly known as AndroidAR now:
My deviantArt

Offline Leviathan

Rebuilding The Wiki
« Reply #24 on: April 13, 2008, 02:04:16 PM »
It should be moved and a new one started.