Author Topic: Op2 To Op3 Weapons Upgrades  (Read 6444 times)

Offline Combine Crusier

Op2 To Op3 Weapons Upgrades
« on: December 11, 2007, 12:11:04 PM »
I am still thinking but here is the first upgrade I have in mind.

(Upgrade for RPG) (IPG (Ion Propelled Grenade))
The IPG is the RPG refitted with a miniature  Ion proulsion system which slightly increases the range and increases the speed at which the warhead hits the target this also increases the penetration damage of the missile

(Upgrade for RPG / IPG) (Optical Guidance Systems)
Using the information on Earth technologies we have been able to develope a missile that is guided by an optical system which will be connected to our vehicles targeting systems VIA radio. Greatly increases RPG or IPGs accuracy.

(Upgrade for ESG) (Micro Capacitors)
Since the grenades used in the ESG have only a limited life span our scientists have implemented several micro capacitors to maximize damage. Using these capacitors the damage dealt by each ESG grenade has been increased.

(Upgrade for All Weapons) (High Efficiency Conductors)
By putting the materials developed from our High Temperature Super-Conductive research into our vehicles we have been able to effectively increase all of our weapons rate of fire thus increasing their overall damage.

(Upgrade for Laser) (Requires High Efficiency Conductors)  (Fast Tracking Turrets)
Our lasers still didn't use all the power made available by the High Efficiency Conductors
so our scientists have implemented a new turret tracking system that will allow our laser vehicles to fire at fast moving targets without hindering their damage capacity.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2007, 12:33:47 PM by Combine Crusier »
Fire at will!

Offline Savant 231-A

• https://www.outpost2.net
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2007, 12:26:23 PM »
probably an extension for the RPG, or a research topic?
Gordon Freeman, and mr. Crowbar would own Master Chief in any part of the day.
"Come here citizen."

"From the ashes of the collapse we seek to build a better world for all."

Offline Sirbomber

« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2007, 04:55:13 PM »
I don't think Ion Engines glued to an RPG would do much but make it cost more, assuming they could even build them.

Guided missiles... Could work (though the methods you want to use are inferior to the ones already used in OP2 weapon technology).

ESG is already over-powered.  There's no need to make it even harder to play as Eden.

The "High Efficiency Conductors" already exists.  You probably know it as the "Independent Turret Power Systems" tech, though yours applies to all weapons (though it shouldn't since many weapons aren't available before you get High-Temp. Superconductivity).

And what does having more power available to a weapon have to do with the turret moving faster?
"As usual, colonist opinion is split between those who think the plague is a good idea, and those who are dying from it." - Outpost Evening Star

Outpost 2 Coding 101 Tutorials

Offline Hooman

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2007, 12:02:54 AM »
Yeah, Ion drives are generally meant for low acceleration, and high efficiency. This doesn't work so well for weapons, particularly not for atmospheric weapons that need that extra kick to make it through the atmosphere. Plus, Ion drives supposedly work because of the vacuum of space. I don't think they'd really do anything in an atmosphere.

Think about it, small particles the size of atoms or molecules being expelled don't produce much of a reaction, even at really high speeds. (Note: Apparently Xeon atoms are used). However, when you have enough of them expelled over some long period of time, then the speed with which they are expelled will actually start to matter. (Assuming you're in space with no friction to overcome). It's basically a long drawn out process, and doesn't happen at a rate fast enough to overcome any counter forces. Also, think about why they are expelled. The particles are charged, and then the charge makes then move. This is the part I'm a little less clear on, but, if there is a vacuum for them to escape to, then they'll go there pretty quick. There is of course no charge in the vacuum to repel them, or to cancel the opposite charge on the screen is found at the back of the drive to direct the motion of the charged particles out the back.

Reading from: http://nmp.nasa.gov/ds1/tech/ionpropfaq.html
"Ion propulsion is not of value for missions that require high acceleration"
"Because the ion propulsion system, although highly efficient, is very gentle in its thrust, it cannot be used for any application in which a rapid acceleration is required"
"The ion propulsion system on Deep Space 1 carries about 81.5 kilograms of xenon propellant, and it takes about 20 months of thrusting to use it all."

Do you begin to see why this would be ineffective on an RPG?

Offline Combine Crusier

« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2007, 08:21:48 AM »
Actually the Independent Turret Power Systems technology uses another reactor not new more advanced power conduits.

Hey if you know of any possible upgrades post them... I'm just proposing possible ideas.
Fire at will!

Offline Freeza-CII

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2007, 11:32:11 PM »
(Upgrade for RPG / IPG) (Optical Guidance Systems)
Using the information on Earth technologies we have been able to develope a missile that is guided by an optical system which will be connected to our vehicles targeting systems VIA radio. Greatly increases RPG or IPGs accuracy.

I believe in the tech for RPG they are basicly TOW missiles.  Using a Wire guided missile with a Optically steered war head.  Direct connection to the rocket.  Most other rockets/missiles are Laser radar GPS TVoptical Dumb Wire IR.  Im sure there are a few more i dont have in that list.

Actually the Independent Turret Power Systems technology uses another reactor not new more advanced power conduits.

Ok let me say this in a way that every one will get.  Whats the difference if you run a extenstion cord from the generator out back or plug some thing right in to it.  Not much.

Offline Combine Crusier

« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2007, 01:23:52 PM »
(New Weapons System) (Multiple Rocket Projection System (MRPS))

Our scientists have created a new weapons system by combining our ESG and RPG weapons systems. The Multiple Rocket Projection System (MRPS) launches eight RPGs at a time, while these rockets are smaller than the standard RPG they have the ability to fire in a spread which can damage multiple units in a single shot, this can prove effective when dealing with multiple damaged targets, however the MRPS has a significantly longer reload time than the standard RPG. While a single rocket from an MRPS does significantly less damage than the standard RPG a focused volley does more overall damage.

(Armor Upgrade for Tigers) ( Nano Composite Armor)

The Nano Composite Armor is a new armor developed for our tigers. The Nano Composite Armor utilizes the same armor the tiger had before but it also has nanites incorporated into it, when the tiger takes damage the nanites will rearrange the armor of the tiger to close the damaged sections. Tigers receive 5% less damage but have a -1 speed penalty.
Fire at will!

Offline Sirbomber

« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2007, 04:16:12 PM »
It would be better for them to just build lots of RPG Lynx. They'll deal more damage faster and there will be more of them, so they'll last longer in battle.

And Tigers can just be upgraded to Very Heavy armor if you want to give them armor.
"As usual, colonist opinion is split between those who think the plague is a good idea, and those who are dying from it." - Outpost Evening Star

Offline Mcshay

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2007, 10:12:58 PM »
I think the nano upgrade isn't that bad actually. Upgrading to heaver armor would cripple the already slow tiger chassis. Self-repairing armor is also being developed,

I found an article about it in Popular Science this morning while glancing through it (didn't read it so i know no details right now).

Offline Sirbomber

« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2007, 04:38:36 PM »
I thought nanotech was discussed already and dismissed though?
Meh, doesn't really matter, since Combine's suggestion would reduce Tiger speed anyways. For all intents and purposes, it's just gluing an extra layer of armor on.

Offline Freeza-CII

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2007, 11:39:24 PM »
I think that Nano tech came from a user made Sheets.  A Savant_Ace I believe the user name was.

Offline Tramis

« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2007, 01:11:29 AM »
So, it's just like the Tiger, but harder to kill and slower?

Sounds pretty similar to the much-despised Lion Superheavy Chassis to me.

Offline Savant 231-A

• https://www.outpost2.net
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2007, 08:33:41 AM »
I know much of these ideas have discussed and shot down, but many newbies forget (and don't learn) that in Outpost, the goal is not to insta-nuke all humans ( kill them all), but the real goal is to Survive

Strange?
Why do computers fight battles instead of humans? Beacuse humans are playing with themselves. They don't have the guts to kill another human, beacuse they know, if that happens, there will be 1 human less to survive.

Gordon Freeman, and mr. Crowbar would own Master Chief in any part of the day.
"Come here citizen."

"From the ashes of the collapse we seek to build a better world for all."

Offline Norsehound

« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2008, 10:08:34 PM »
If you're still open to weapons upgrades...

Laser duration capacitor
Teaser
As our basic weapon, the Laser turret fires a short, concentrated bust of energy. Despite the upgrades, some of our scientists think they can upgrade the weapons system to give it a longer duration of fire.

Description
The Laser Duration Capacitor (LDC) module is designed to regulate, amplify, and store power from the weapon's main reactor. With the LDC, Laser-equipped units are able to fire a laser beam for nearly three times the duration with a slight decrease in firepower.

---

I figured this better brought the Laser weapon to what modern lasers appear to be. They'd fry spiders pretty much instantly, but 2-3 of these units would be able to melt individual units quicker than without it. A range upgrade would also be nice for this system.

Minefield Adaptation Package
Teaser:
Historians have pointed out in military records that the application of minefields as area-deterrent weapons have changed the courses of war, and significantly altered the outcome of several battles. Our scientists propose to upgrade the Electrostatic Grenade launcher package to better fill this task.

Description:
The Minefield Adaptation Package is a simple replacement of ESG munitions with refined warheads. Unlike the older short-lived ESG modules, the newer munitions store their energy until expended by a vehicle. Although these ESG modules will not be able to recognize between friend and foe, they can now remain in place almost indefinitely.

----

I wish ESG warheads could linger around longer, and one could mine chokepoints around a base. Perhaps giving scouts an upgrade to 'see' the mines could be an effective counter? And provide more of a use for scouts.

EMP Warhead
Teaser:
Repeated observation of exploding power plants has reported an EMP shock wave expanding from the destroyed facility. Several ambitious scientists have proposed a means to replicate this same massive ring by adapting a Starflare warhead.

Description:
Essentially using a weapon turret's own power source as a weapon, the EMP warhead, though expensive, replicates a smaller scale version of the EMP shockwave that disables several units in a small radius. However, friendly units are not immune to its effects.

---------
Why not? It makes something like the EMP missile available to Edeners, and Plymouthers have a means to get more EMP out there for their spiders. They'd be nasty as guard turrets as well. It also means another area-effect weapon, aside from the Acid Cloud and ESG.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2008, 10:08:59 PM by Norsehound »
Food supply in Surplus. Power levels Optimal. Morale is Good.